Snead/Fisher era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robert

Rookie
I hear a lot of talk of this could be the last year of the Snead/fisher era if they don't make the playoffs. Is this talk all hype? If we went 8-8 or 9-7 I would not be happy but I wouldn't be mad either. I would still want Snead/fisher to be running the show. They have done many brilliant things over the last couple of drafts that I don't know if a lot of gm and coaches could have done. What do you guys think?

laramsoriginal

Starter
I think 8-8 would put fisher on the hot seat. You have to make progress in the W-L department. Love what the rams have built thus far but it means nothing if they don't get more wins

Robert

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think 8-8 would put fisher on the hot seat. You have to make progress in the W-L department. Love what the rams have built thus far but it means nothing if they don't get more wins
Agree but when you take a job as a head coach on a 2-14 team you know there is rebuilding involved it's not like the rams were a 6-10 team when he got here and there in the toughest division in football

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
How many years did Fisher sign up for? Think it was 5. My guess is he's not going anywhere. Take a look at the make-up of this franchise when he took over and look at it now. Every facet of the organization is more professional than in years. He'd have to step on his dick before Stan would consider a change at the top.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They SHOULD get 5 years before any kind of rash decision is made. They started at ground negative zero and have rebuilt strictly through youth and the draft.
I will say that this season(year 3) their work should begin to translate on the field in terms of more wins rather than losses. If by year 4 we're still waiting on these drafts to pan out...then it may be time to start looking more closely at what they're doing. For myself, i believe in the philosophy and the long term approach.

Everyone else gets 3 years, if we aren't winning in year 3, with all the picks we've had then Fisher/Snead have failed, there's no other way to cut it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Everyone else gets 3 years, if we aren't winning in year 3, with all the picks we've had then Fisher/Snead have failed, there's no other way to cut it.
Thats kind of my point. Most regimes get 3 years because they originally stepped into a situation where there was at least some kind of nucleus there and decent veteran talent, but that team went from 12-5 to 10-6 to 6-10 and the owner/fanbase called for heads to roll.

This is a rebuild thats built solely on the draft...not one built on bringing in star FA's to compliment a veteran team. or patchwork. Patience people. I know it's difficult with all the losing that's taken place post-Martz until now...but Fisher and Snead are doing it right. Let the talent accumulate, simmer and bake so we can get served up something special.

Thats kind of my point. Most regimes get 3 years because they originally stepped into a situation where there was at least some kind of nucleus there and decent veteran talent, but that team went from 12-5 to 10-6 to 6-10 and the owner/fanbase called for heads to roll.

This is a rebuild thats built solely on the draft...not one built on bringing in star FA's to compliment a veteran team. or patchwork. Patience people. I know it's difficult with all the losing that's taken place post-Martz until now...but Fisher and Snead are doing it right. Let the talent accumulate, simmer and bake so we can get served up something special.

The rebuild that Pete Carroll went through in Seattle was no less, I'd even argue that our nucleus was better than what he walked into, and we had more resources.

Losing is unacceptable full stop, has any regime survived 3 consecutive losing seasons?

Slappy967

Starter
As long as we can string together at least 7 wins on this ABYSMAL schedule this year I don't see King Fish or Smead going ANYWHERE. This team from a talent/personnel standpoint has greatly improved every year under them and cutting them out of the equation now would be a giant mistake

Robert

Rookie
My thoughts are do you think any other gm and coach could of done what these guys have? Maybe but to find them is like a needle in a haystack. I was getting tired of the 2-14 seasons started to not even make time to watch them in Sundays. For the last 2 years I haven't missed a game. There actually fun to watch and I can't wait for the season to start. Just hope fisher doesn't get ripped after all he has done and we end up getting a coach that takes us back to 2-14

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd like to believe we've found our Bill Cowher.

Fisher's here to stay.

The only thing that will change are the pieces around him. And... The stability feels good.

I can't actually believe we've become so accustomed to losing that 7-9 is now seen as an achievement because "at least it isn't 2-14"

FRO

Legend
If we go 6-10 or worse changes could be made. Even Ray Charles can see this team is going to be pretty good. It's loaded with top young talent. The 2012 draft was solid, had we not blown the second round it would have been a great one. The 2013 draft was outstanding. The 2014 draft on paper may be the best one yet. These guys can draft. Fisher can coach. This team really is poised to make a run and multiple runs. We are building an annual contender.

Slappy967

Starter
7-9 is acceptable because of how daunting this schedule is. If w had the cake walk schedule that Indy has I would be calling for us to run the table :)

Robert

Rookie
I can't actually believe we've become so accustomed to losing that 7-9 is now seen as an achievement because "at least it isn't 2-14"
We're not getting accustomed to it but they have come along way. But to me it's the same thing as saying Sam Bradford is a crappy quarterback. That he was a #1 pick so he should of taken us to the playoffs every year. The fact is he is only one player and when your getting thrown to the ground every play there is only so much you can do. He wasn't surrounded by talent, he could only be so good with the players he had around him. Same thing with fisher he came in and is doing what he needs to do to make the rams better, you can't build a team over night. Just hope they don't throw in the towel before his masterpiece is finished

We're not getting accustomed to it but they have come along way. But to me it's the same thing as saying Sam Bradford is a crappy quarterback. That he was a #1 pick so he should of taken us to the playoffs every year. The fact is he is only one player and when your getting thrown to the ground every play there is only so much you can do. He wasn't surrounded by talent, he could only be so good with the players he had around him. Same thing with fisher he came in and is doing what he needs to do to make the rams better, you can't build a team over night. Just hope they don't throw in the towel before his masterpiece is finished

No but you should be able to build one in three years with 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks.

There's two cases either the 2011 Rams, the one which featured important building blocks such as Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, Chris Long, Robert Quinn and James Laurinaitis, was the worst team in the history of the NFL, not one of the worst but the very worst team ever. In which case sure give Fisher another year. Or Fisher/Snead have failed.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
The rebuild that Pete Carroll went through in Seattle was no less, I'd even argue that our nucleus was better than what he walked into, and we had more resources.

Losing is unacceptable full stop, has any regime survived 3 consecutive losing seasons?

Agree that at some point the moves by Snisher have to translate to wins but disagree with your assessment that the Hawks rebuild under Carroll wasn't any less than the Rams. The 2012 Seattle roster already had the majority of last season's SB winning team in the fold. Meanwhile about 30 Rams were soon to be ex-NFL players.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2012_roster.htm#games_played_team::1

Something that doesn't get mentioned much is the fact that Snead conducted the 2012 draft with Devaney's staff and system from the previous regime. He wasn't able to revamp the scouting and personnel departments until after the 2012 season. For that reason I give him something of a mulligan for that first draft.

Last edited:
Agree that at some point the moves by Snisher have to translate to wins but disagree with your assessment that the Hawks rebuild under Carroll wasn't any less than the Rams. The 2012 Seattle roster already had the majority of last season's SB winning team in the fold. Meanwhile about 30 Rams were soon to be ex-NFL players.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2012_roster.htm#games_played_team::1

Something that doesn't get mentioned much is the fact that Snead conducted the 2012 draft with Devaney's staff and system from the previous regime. He wasn't able to revamp the scouting and personnel departments until after the 2012 season. For that reason I give him something of a mulligan for that first draft.

And if Carroll took over in 2012 i'd agree. But if you compare Carroll's first winning Seahawks team (in his 3rd year) with the team he took over, and our 3rd year team with the team Fisher took over, the list is very comparable and I'd take our list as it has a potential franchise QB.

I'm not asking for a Super Bowl, I'm asking for a winning season.