Snead and McVay to hold 5pm PST presser to discuss AD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont see a reason they would hold a press conference unless they have something to report. I assume it's to tell us that he has signed.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
AD has 2 years on his current contract. Fine him 40,000 a day until he shows. 40 grand times 365x2= AD shows up for camp.

What a lot of folks don't get is the implications involved. For example:

If Mo Alexander, who has a couple years left on his contract, has a great year, (103 tackles, 8 int's, 4 for TD's for "what if's" sake) Then he's going to want to renegotiate his contract because they did it for AD and then someone else has a great year and want their contract re done because they did it for other guys. Its the begininning of a nightmare scenario for front offices. Multi-year contracts become meaningless. Point is, teams set a bad precedence by renegotiating contracts for players who have good seasons and still have years left on current contracts.

As far as I'm concerned, AD can sit on his azz the next two years and get fined 40 grand a day.. He never touches the ball, and he's expendable. Rams can get a ton of draft picks for him.

Rams Front Office needs to take a stand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD has 2 years on his current contract. Fine him 40,000 a day until he shows. 40 grand times 365x2= AD shows up for camp.

If Mo Alexander, who has a couple years left on his contract, has a great year, (103 tackles, 8 int's, 4 for TD's for "what if's" sake) Then he's going to want to renegotiate his contract because they did it for AD and then someone else has a great year and want their contract re done because they did it for other guys. Its the begininning of a nightmare scenario for front offices. Multi-year contracts become meaningless. Point is, teams set a bad precedence by renegotiating contracts for players who have good seasons and still have years left on current contracts.

As far as I'm concerned, AD can sit on his azz the next two years and get fined 40 grand a day.. He never touches the ball, and he's expendable. Rams can get a ton of draft picks for him.

Your example doesn't hold.
Mo Alexander having a great year isn't the same situation whatsoever. Aaron Donald is going to be a Hall of Famer. Aaron Donald is maybe the best 3-Tech DT to ever play the game and even Warren Sapp agrees. I do agree with fining him until he shows for camp, but no, he is not replaceable as Mo Alexander is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

bluecoconuts

Legend
My guess is they'll say they extended an offer and hopefully he accepts, yada yada, we love Donald and want him to join us but we're secretly super pissed about all this, blah blah blah. Standard stuff.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Counting down the minutes! I'm hoping it on T.V. but should be on AM 710 here in So Cal.

Ramzheart

Rookie
I a

What I dont understand is the Rams seem sincere in negotiating and the lines of communication seem to be open so why wouldnt AD show a sign of good faith by reporting. I seem to recall a couple other players from other teams going through similar scenarios and I recall those contracts getting done in September. With a new defensive scheme as well as new coaches, he needs to get his butt in here and go to work!
Another note, I dont understand why these contracts arent created more incentive laden to begin with?! If player a player doesnt reach the incentives indicated, well then he doesnt deserve more money., but for the stud players that surpass their contracts, this would be a nice solution!

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Nothing new....They love AD, want him long term, but no deal and hes not reporting for now. Dont know why they needed a presser for this.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's 5:10. what are they saying?!
I went to the Rams site, tried to watch a video and it wouldn't work. Now it's gone. Thanks for the update CANRAMFAN. I missed it.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup they just held this press conference to have snead repeat his respect for aaron. this was stoopid.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Maybe they had something and it fell through. Maybe AD agreed to terms, then backed out. Or said he was going to show up but then had a reason he couldn't or course not to.

I can't trust people who would hold a press conference just to say the same dumb crap that had already been said and was known. Seriously though, this is my first red flag for this leadership group unless there was something that fell through.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
People should not be mad at Donald. It's a common negotiation tactic that's agents oftentimes persuade players to use. The business side of the NFL is not your friend, and if Donald somehow got injured this year, he will not be rewarded for his previous play. Everyone here - when you negotiate your salary for a raise or a new job, do you try to get as much as you can or accept what's best for the company? Everyone tries to get what they can, why can't he don't same?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They did it for Austin so why not Donald???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People should not be mad at Donald. It's a common negotiation tactic that's agents oftentimes persuade players to use. The business side of the NFL is not your friend, and if Donald somehow got injured this year, he will not be rewarded for his previous play. Everyone here - when you negotiate your salary for a raise or a new job, do you try to get as much as you can or accept what's best for the company? Everyone tries to get what they can, why can't he don't same?
Wait so he signed a 4 year $10 million dollar contract that he had to perform to earn. Now he's not performing he's not earning his contract. If you outperform your contract you ask for a raise.

Don't try to equate this to your average guy on here. How many people here are part of a union and subject to a collectively bargained agreement that stipulates what a player just coming into the union is allowed to make? You and I if we feel we deserve a raise we can go to our boss and ask for one and present our case for it. If that fails we can accept that or move to another job. NFL players agreed to this CBA and the terms it lays out. There is no screw you I deserve more I'm taking my talents elsewhere like you and I can. They signed a contract and they, and the club, are expected to live up to those terms. Not all players get guaranteed money, seems we had a topic on this recently and like I said in there it's their job to get the guaranteed money. If AD is upset at his current contract he has nobody to blame but the people who voted in the last CBA. It's not the Rams fault, this isn't even Fishers fault! It's certainly not the fans fault.

The way he's handling this is certainly his choice to make. At the end of this year he'll have made $10 million dollars over 4 years and the Rams can extend it to a 5th for another $7 million which IIRC they already have. His play during these 4 or 5 years will decide how big of a 2nd contract he gets. He's going to be a very rich man even without the second contract and his play so far certainly warrants that pay day. Personally I don't like holdouts IMO they show a lack of character and a lack of faith in your negotiating partner. I negotiate and work on contracts on a somewhat regular basis, though not involving a CBA like these payroll contracts. This kind of stance during negotiations just baffles me.