Slow news day discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Zac Stacy on twitter responded to this question from some fan:

"ready for a bounce back season?"

His reply:

"been ready since week 5 of last season"

Week 5 was the Eagles. He played in week 5 - I re watched the game and he had a fumble. You never want to see a fumble, but it's not like we didn't see fumbles from out other backs. Really, this one was a pretty good defensive play.

What was it that put him in the never ending doghouse?

The fumble? More?

When they drafted Tre Mason, they clearly planned to use him - but Zac went to the bottom of the pile and stayed there.

He didn't just get passed on the depth chart - he got buried on it.

Anyone have a theory? Or do you think he just didn't perform? You think he will ever get another real shot here?

A55VA6

Legend

His reply:

Week 5 was the Eagles. He played in week 5 - I re watched the game and he had a fumble. You never want to see a fumble, but it's not like we didn't see fumbles from out other backs. Really, this one was a pretty good defensive play.

The fumble? More?

When they drafted Tre Mason, they clearly planned to use him - but Zac went to the bottom of the pile and stayed there.

Anyone have a theory? Or do you think he just didn't perform? You think he will ever get another real shot here?
I think Tre and Benny just out-performed him. I like Stacy, so I'd like to see him make some plays this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mason has that gear to be explosive. He's my starter.

But, I'm a huge Stacy fan. Compact runner with quick feet and great balance. Always seems to get positive yards and "falls forward". He was a 1,000yd (pace) back in 2013, so he's a guy you can start and win with.

I love our depth.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure there is a fair bit of frustration. But I think he may be the third best RB on this team. Hard to get playing time when that is the case. Sucks because he is a really good guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Been asking myself that question for a while too. I saw nothing out of him that would lead me to believe his demotion was based on performance.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Basically it took 5 weeks just to get our only Home Run back up to par picking up rushers as he never did that at Auburn. Don't think that one fumble had anything great to do with it. Fisher said it took 5 weeks before he felt confident in our rookies pass blocking pick ups. How does Zac learn to run at the speed of Tre? He does'nt have the jump cut but does run with vision. We could even improve on Tre if Fisher wanted a real horse to ride like he had with the titans if we got Gurly. That would be true Fisher running game. Zac just needs to stay ready cause tre Mason is small and may get dinged just like Zac seemed to get during games (too often for me he would ask out).

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think he meant week 5 of 2013 maybe? That's when he got his first start.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I was also wondering that last season. Once Mason started, Stacy rarely saw the ball. What makes it more confusing is that he played well his rookie year. I understand why Mason is the starter. He gives us the explosive plays that the others don't. But even in short yardage and goal line Stacy wasn't getting carries. Maybe this year he will get more. I hope we keep him. Our roster of running backs looks pretty good to me with Mason, Cunningham, Stacy and Reynolds.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It's nothing against Stacy but I've thought Cunningham was the more talented back since early 2013.

Then Mason comes along as the most talented of all of them, improved his blocking, and Stacy just became a victim of the numbers game.

He's still a very talented back but we are deeeeep at the RB spot.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Stacy has proven that he can get the tough yards so I don't understand why they don't use him in short yardage. He also beat the Seahags into submission a couple of times and that should get him some big time cred as well.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't remember the Rams ever having 3 starter level Rb's at one time before.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

His reply:

The fumble? More?

I thought it was the fumble, followed by the karate kick fumble.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He also injured his calf during the fumble against the Eagles. Not excusing the fumble, but I think I remember reading a story saying that the injury could have been far worse, season ending most likely. It might have slowed him the entire season. I expect to see more of him this season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I also thought it was the kick to the face.
It a great sign that our backs don't have loose hands. To be able to count the seasons fumbles on 1 hand is ok by me.
Tre has had more fumbles than Stacy, I believe. (Haven't actually counted them. Could be wrong)

One thing I know. If Mason goes down, I'm very confident Stacy will be ready to kick some ass.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If he doesn't get any more work this year than last, I would look for the "I want to be traded" rumors to start making the rounds...

Debacled

Starter
Mason outplayed him for touches during 1st and 2nd down, and Benny was clearly the 3rd down back.

Mighta been injury issues as well, hard to say or know till this next season rolls around. Assuming the Rams can actually post leads and stick with them we may see more carries headed toward the RBs.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
When Zac Stacey is your #3 RB, then you're pretty good at RB

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I also thought it was the kick to the face.
It a great sign that our backs don't have loose hands. To be able to count the seasons fumbles on 1 hand is ok by me.
Tre has had more fumbles than Stacy, I believe. (Haven't actually counted them. Could be wrong)

One thing I know. If Mason goes down, I'm very confident Stacy will be ready to kick some ass.
That one.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He also injured his calf during the fumble against the Eagles. Not excusing the fumble, but I think I remember reading a story saying that the injury could have been far worse, season ending most likely. It might have slowed him the entire season. I expect to see more of him this season.
This, His calf injury opened the door for Mason. Cunningham's role never changed. He was/is the 3rd down back on this roster as it stands because he is the better pass blocker.

Stacy fell victim to his injury, one that lingered much longer than the team let on. That, and having an OC who had a tendency to go away from the running game as games went on. Short yardage situations were non-existent with Schotty, as he more often than not would throw the ball on 3rd and 2.

I expect Stacy to come in and compete, and will once again find his way onto the field. I expect that each RB will have their situational roles. With Rob Boras being put in charge of the running game, I think we will see a much more consistent and productive POWER running game, which will include Stacy.