SlipOnTheConcrete-Gate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First the fire, now the concrete..

Personally, I'm all for it.
But they need to combine them... Slick concrete on fire... and maybe add some spikes...yeah, now we're talkin'. :rockon:

Rainram

Starter
Instead of running out of bounds, I would like to welcome all of our opponents to just stay in bounds and see what happens. :heh::snicker:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Reggie Bush could possibly sue the "Owner" of the EJD. Kronke simply leases the EJD from the CVC(?), he is not the actual owner of the facility.
It's the owner's responsibility to make sure the facility is safe for it's intended use. If it's not specifically off-limits to players wearing cleats (whether through a warning track or by a physical barrier), or the CVC hasn't made the NFL sign a waiver exempting it from the risks of playing in the EJD, then there's a strong possibility that they can be sued by a player.

Think of ice rinks: at the transition between the ice & the entry / lace-up areas, there's usually rubber matting or some other ice-skate friendly surface to prevent slips & falls. On the way to the locker rooms, there's usually a sign directing the skaters to remove skates before entering. If the EJD presents a dangerous surface to a player wearing cleats, with no warnings, "take off cleats before entering" or something, it may be liable. (I don't know about the locker room tunnels at the EJD, maybe they're concrete as well??)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/02/report-49ers-rb-mike-davis-fractured-hand-on-sunday/

Report: 49ers RB Mike Davis fractured hand on Sunday
Posted by Josh Alper on November 2, 2015

495265778-e1446491122450.jpg
Getty Images

The 49ers are kicking the tires on Ben Taint this weekand it appears that Reggie Bush’s torn ACL and the stress fracture in Carlos Hyde’s foot aren’t the only reasons why they’re in the market for running back help.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Mike Davis fractured his hand during Sunday’s loss to the Rams. That left Kendall Gaskins as the only healthy running back on the 53-man roster by the end of the game and makes the need for outside help all the greater if the 49ers are going to score their first touchdown since Week Six.

Davis ran 10 times for just four yards against St. Louis and the 2015 fourth-round pick has found tough sledding every time he’s touched the ball as a rookie. He has 24 yards on 25 carries in five games this season and he’s also caught five passes for 23 yards.

The 49ers promoted Gaskins from the practice squad before Sunday’s game and waived Australian import Jarryd Hayne to make room for him. Hayne could also potentially return to the team now that there’s a greater need for running back help than there was last week.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
The turf needs to be extended or some quality carpet needs to be put down. No excuse for having exposed concrete like that. If one of our guys got hurt because of it we would lose our minds and rightfully so. I feel sorry for Bush.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not now, but it should have been done in the past. Rams players are more prone to be injured from this than opponents
20 seasons in the same facitly and never been an issue before.

Now somehow it's headline material. I honesty think people just need to have something to bitch about.

Lets just put skirts on all of these guys and play two hand touch from now on.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Now somehow it's headline material. I honesty think people just need to have something to bitch about.

A player's season just ended because we won't extend the turf a few feet. It's not that much effort to fix it. But way to blow that comment out of proportion. SMH

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Reggie Bush could possibly sue the "Owner" of the EJD. Kronke simply leases the EJD from the CVC(?), he is not the actual owner of the facility.
It's the owner's responsibility to make sure the facility is safe for it's intended use. If it's not specifically off-limits to players wearing cleats (whether through a warning track or by a physical barrier), or the CVC hasn't made the NFL sign a waiver exempting it from the risks of playing in the EJD, then there's a strong possibility that they can be sued by a player.

Think of ice rinks: at the transition between the ice & the entry / lace-up areas, there's usually rubber matting or some other ice-skate friendly surface to prevent slips & falls. On the way to the locker rooms, there's usually a sign directing the skaters to remove skates before entering. If the EJD presents a dangerous surface to a player wearing cleats, with no warnings, "take off cleats before entering" or something, it may be liable. (I don't know about the locker room tunnels at the EJD, maybe they're concrete as well??)

If you can find in the rules where it shows that area needs to be covered, then I'm all ears. What I've found makes no mention of how that area behind the player area needs to be set up. The rule book specifically states nothing outside of the player area.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A player's season just ended because we won't extend the turf a few feet. It's not that much effort to fix it. But way to blow that comment out of proportion. SMH
And yet we can have players doing the lambeau leap into the grandstands they are closer to field than the concrete 40 feet from the sideline at the dome.

I get the "it's easy to fix" but in the 190+ games that have been played there prior to this tragedy happening it'd never been an issue. Now it's somehow criminal that it wasn't "fixed" before something happened.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
And yet we can have players doing the lambeau leap into the grandstands they are closer to field than the concrete 40 feet from the sideline at the dome.

I get the "it's easy to fix" but in the 190+ games that have been played there prior to this tragedy happening it'd never been an issue. Now it's somehow criminal that it wasn't "fixed" before something happened.

It's something that should have been "fixed" before a player even slipped on it. It's an obvious hazard and I don't care if someone was hurt on it before or not. The game is dangerous enough as it is and it's a simple risk to eliminate. Two players on two weeks is all I need to see. Put down some damn turf or carpet.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It's something that should have been "fixed" before a player even slipped on it. It's an obvious hazard and I don't care if someone was hurt on it before or not. The game is dangerous enough as it is and it's a simple risk to eliminate. Two players on two weeks is all I need to see. Put down some damn turf or carpet.
Well there you go. Maybe you should change your screen name to "WatchDawg". Cuz if YOU'VE seen enough go then by god they have to do something now.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't make it not an issue. Its happened twice in two weeks. Concrete is clearly a problem. Cleats wont get any traction on it. Its an easy fix. Don't know why people are getting so defensive about this issue. Just put some carpet or artificial turf on it and cover it up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/02/report-49ers-rb-mike-davis-fractured-hand-on-sunday/

Report: 49ers RB Mike Davis fractured hand on Sunday
Posted by Josh Alper on November 2, 2015

495265778-e1446491122450.jpg
Getty Images

The 49ers are kicking the tires on Ben Taint this weekand it appears that Reggie Bush’s torn ACL and the stress fracture in Carlos Hyde’s foot aren’t the only reasons why they’re in the market for running back help.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Mike Davis fractured his hand during Sunday’s loss to the Rams. That left Kendall Gaskins as the only healthy running back on the 53-man roster by the end of the game and makes the need for outside help all the greater if the 49ers are going to score their first touchdown since Week Six.

Davis ran 10 times for just four yards against St. Louis and the 2015 fourth-round pick has found tough sledding every time he’s touched the ball as a rookie. He has 24 yards on 25 carries in five games this season and he’s also caught five passes for 23 yards.

The 49ers promoted Gaskins from the practice squad before Sunday’s game and waived Australian import Jarryd Hayne to make room for him. Hayne could also potentially return to the team now that there’s a greater need for running back help than there was last week.

Did his hand slip on the concrete surface?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
McCown had a lil help from JL. It does seem odd though that the turf doesnt go all the way to the wall or the concrete isnt covered with something to help players get slowed down without ice skating into the wall.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
funny comments...
I think I heard Dion Sanders on NFLN say something about lawsuit when he saw this too....I'm sure they could take some legal action....
Reggie has been getting hurt all season....I had him for fantasy and was watching him a lil closer than usual..and he's always getting hurt....so I benched him right after his hammy thing a few weeks ago...he's an injury waiting to happen...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iscuss-concrete-surface-at-edward-jones-dome/

Rams, NFL discuss concrete surface at Edward Jones Dome
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 2, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptewndk4owmwndrlmthlyjixzwiyzjnmmjhmmmixymvj.jpeg
AP

In each of the last two weeks, a visiting player in St. Louis has been injured when he lost his footing on the concrete surrounding the field at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis. The Rams and the NFL haven’t done anything about it, but they are talking about doing something about it.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed today that the team has been in discussions with the NFL about the concrete edge of the playing surface, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

Fisher pointed out that the Rams have been playing at the Edward Jones Dome for 20 years and no one raised any concerns about the concrete around the field, but that shouldn’t matter: Browns quarterback Josh McCown hurt his shoulder when he couldn’t slow down on the concrete and ran into the wall, and 49ers running back Reggie Bush suffered a serious knee injury when he slipped on the concrete. Two injuries is two too many.

The NFL needs to make sure playing surfaces are safe, and the NFL Players Association needs to insist that the NFL provide a safe workplace for its membership. Safety measures should be taken before the Rams’ next home game.
----------
Reggie bush should sue the Rams and the NFL. If the NFL can fine players for everything, then the players should sue teams and the NFL because of their collective stupidity and lack of care on playing surfaces in and out of bounds.
--------
The NFL doesn’t care about player safety they only care about the appearance of caring about player safety….in their defense, Bush is brittle and can blow out his knee in warm ups….
--------
If Gurley tore his ACL on the concrete, the concrete would be ripped out next day and replaced with finest feathers money can buy
--------
Reggie Boo-Boo shouldn’t need 20 yards to slow down, C’mon now. He was jogging for a considerable amount of time before slipping and falling.
-------
And while we’re on the outrage bandwagon… It’s not the only concrete track around an NFL field.

And more importantly… How about ensuring the THE FIELD is worthy of playing football on?! Everybody and their sister cried foul when RG3 and Chris Clemons both tore knee ligaments in the same game. Yet playing surface vary WILDLY throughout the league. Now, I realize part of that is because not every team has the weather to support great natural grass fields. And some of it is because not every team invests the same in their field. And pretty much all surfaces are basically painted dirt after 17 weeks of professional football.

The point is, you can take the concrete out of the Edward Jones Dome, but you can’t take the concrete out of the league’s head. They have no concept of the importance of standardized playing fields, rule, officiating, etc. etc. etc. There are so many things about each game left up to the home team that should standardized across the league.

But no, you can’t have football without the frozen tundra of greenbay or swampy monsoon season of carolina or snow bowls in philly… Unless you want to lose these great aspects of the game, stop cherry-picking the low-hanging fruit of “the concrete at Edward Jones Dome”.
-------
A simple fix is to apply artificial turf so that there is no exposed concrete as is done in the Georgia Dome and Mercedes Benz Dome.
-------
soldier field is absolute crap..bears and vikings slipping all over that pos field yesterday
------
It may not have been a problem in the past but maybe they had a new sealant that made it more slick. At least look into it.
------
Ford field has the same thing with turf and rubber pellets I attended a meet and greet in 06 and wanted to get a picture of me doing a diving catching in the end zone landed on that surface and almost dislocated my shoulder these guys who do this game in game out are true freaks of nature.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-they-want-concrete-covered-before-next-game/

Rams tell NFL and city they want concrete covered before next game
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptewndk4owmwndrlmthlyjixzwiyzjnmmjhmmmixymvj1.jpeg
AP

But according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, the Rams have told the NFL and the city they want changes made to the concrete ring behind the benches before their next home game.

That area is a hazard for players wearing cleats, as Browns quarterback Josh McCown (shoulder) and 49ers running back Reggie Bush (knee) have found out, after slipping and injuring themselves the last two games.

They have two weeks to fix it, before their next home game against the Bears on Nov. 15. The city of St. Louis owns the dome, so it will be on them to make any changes.

It doesn’t seem that hard to put down a rug, but you would think it wouldn’t take two straight weeks of injuries for someone to realize that.

bskrilla

Starter
but you would think it wouldn’t take two straight weeks of injuries for someone to realize that.

While I agree it should be covered this sentence seems to ignore that some 20 years of football was played at the dome before the last 2 weeks. How many times has someone been hurt before now?