Sleeping Giant?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no doubt the offense will be much better if Tavon breaks out this year. But I have my doubts about him. He's a one trick pony. He could get away with it in college. But not in the NFL. You need more than speed to be successful.

He's not a route running receiver you can look to for the important first down. His hands are average and I'm being generous. His value is with the trick play or returns. Reverses, flanker screens, flea flicker type plays. If you want to line up and beat someone with execution, Tavon's not that kind of player.

With all that said, I thought the light would never go on for Brian Quick. He's still got a small sample size to go on, but those 7 games impressed me. Enough to make me think I was wrong about him. So I'm still hoping the light goes on for Tavon. Year 3 is the time for it.

In the meantime, if they want to maximize their first round investment in him, they should use him on kick returns too. He could score a few more with those opportunities.

jap

Legend
Nobody?

Sleeping ... giant ?

Tavon Austin.
Giant.

Nobody's going to say anything about that, eh?

K.

Tavon: "Whacha talkin' 'bout, Willis!?! My sheer talent is gigantic, and I'll prove it this very season too!!!" :lifting::double::seizure:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think anyone is going to put up great numbers in this O, we should be run first, and we've got 3 guys + Tavon who all have talent. I'd be perfectly happy with Tavon carving out his own niche as a 500-750 total yards guy.

Was it an awful decision to use a 1st and 2nd round pick on him? Absolutely, but what's done is done, we're not going to get those picks back, so let's get what we can out of him.

…..

Legend
I'm prepared to move past worrying about Tavon.

If he produces a heart murmur now and then, then thats great. If he turns into anything resembling consistent or (gulp) dependable, then I'd be very surprised.

Our real recievers have names like Quick, Britt, and Baily. So I'm not going to stress Tavon's production because I dont expect any.

Tavon is our punt returner. Now and then we might be able to stpring him loose on an unexpected offensive trick play. He did pretty well on his limite touches out of the backfield.

Sleeping Giant??? I'll go with that considering the huge surprise it will be if he cracks the top 4 in recieving. On this team.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
At this point it's up to Tavon to prefect his craft to become the player he can be.