Sleeping Giant?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would love to see them use TA wisely and I hope he is just a late bloomer. Lots of receivers are, so it's certainly possible. TA playing to his potential could be a game changer for the Rams.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
His impact has been invisible on the statistical surface, but several of his awesome punt return TDs were cancelled due to flags. His impact is more felt by how the opposing D has to account for him when he's on the field. The reverse he did against the Bears was incredible. Because of this threat, Schotty often put T-A in motion, drawing lots of attention from the opposing safeties. With a competent QB who can get the ball to Britt, Quick & Steddy, putting T-A in motion will have an even bigger impact. But, better yet, once we have a QB who can actually get the ball to T-A (and I guess once he learns to run routes better), he'll explode.

iced

He's a faster, more elusive/agile version of Randall Cobb...question is if we can find a coordinator that can use his abilities, and if he can pick up the new scheme adequately (same terminology should help)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nobody?

Sleeping ... giant ?

Tavon Austin.
Giant.

Nobody's going to say anything about that, eh?

K.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nobody?

Sleeping ... giant ?

Tavon Austin.
Giant.

Nobody's going to say anything about that, eh?

K.

Sleeping gnome would've been more applicable.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He is a 3rd round pick. It was not Tavon's fault he was over drafted.
I don't think he's a 3 rd rounder he may not be top 10 but he is 1st round talent.Just like his draft position its not his fault they didn't use him right either.I think he can definitely have a great season provided his used correctly not running draws into brick walls.

ram007

Starter
If you know how to find his level of talent in the third round, you're in the wrong business!

With all due respect, what do you see in Tavon besides a returner? As a receiver he is not physical enough and is not big in size for the contested catches. His route running is a lot to be desired.

At best he is Percy Harvin. Harvin is on his 4th team.

I agree that he was a consensus 1st round pick that year. But his actual production to me screams of a 3rd rounder.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As noted above, TA is contributing every time he is on the field. Defenses have to account for him differently on every play because he is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. That helps other WRs get opportunities they otherwise may not have. This will be a big year Tavon.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At the college level, Tavon got by on pure talent.

By his own admission, the playbook "was in Spanish" when he arrived.

With 2yrs experience and a QB that opens up more of the field, he really is poised for a breakout season.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is "consistency at quarterback" really a big deal at this level? I understand that those guys have to have a rhythm and get to know each other, but, to me, that is a non factor. Stedman Bailey is every bit the receiver Tavon is, in my opinion, and if he had Tavon's speed, he would be lights out. I'm looking for a breakout year from Bailey, and Brian Quick.

Furthermore, it looks like the Rams haven't been able to develop wide receivers. I know. "But we haven't had a quarterback." Still, how many years have we needed performance from that squad. Year three and our wide receivers are learning to run routes? Year three and they are in the classroom?

fearsomefour

Legend
Is "consistency at quarterback" really a big deal at this level? I understand that those guys have to have a rhythm and get to know each other, but, to me, that is a non factor. Stedman Bailey is every bit the receiver Tavon is, in my opinion, and if he had Tavon's speed, he would be lights out. I'm looking for a breakout year from Bailey, and Brian Quick.

Furthermore, it looks like the Rams haven't been able to develop wide receivers. I know. "But we haven't had a quarterback." Still, how many years have we needed performance from that squad. Year three and our wide receivers are learning to run routes? Year three and they are in the classroom?
That is not that unusual. WR is one of the spots that takes the longest time to develop, in most cases, in the NFL. Its just not running routes. It is the sight adjustments and the ability to make adjustments at the line. The WR needs to be able to read coverages and adjust what they are doing and be on the same page as the QB....this is why it is a big deal to have the same QB playing all the time.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Sleeping Giant?

It's going to be a different story this year,"
Austin said, per FOX Sports Midwest.

Look out NFL!

upload_2015-7-26_6-31-47.jpeg
images

RamzFanz

Damnit
With all due respect, what do you see in Tavon besides a returner? As a receiver he is not physical enough and is not big in size for the contested catches. His route running is a lot to be desired.

At best he is Percy Harvin. Harvin is on his 4th team.

I agree that he was a consensus 1st round pick that year. But his actual production to me screams of a 3rd rounder.

I see his raw talent. I'm one of those who think the kid just needs to be used better.