Simmons: John Fassel Glad to be Sticking With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
John Fassel Glad to be Sticking With Rams

By Myles Simmons

After a tumultuous 2016 season in Los Angeles that finished with him as interim head coach, John Fassel could have easily looked elsewhere for 2017. Instead, he's said, there wasn’t any other place he wanted to be.

Fassel and new head coach Sean McVay reportedly had a quick and easy discussion that kept the special teams coordinator around for what will be his sixth season with the Rams.

“He said he wants to keep me around — and that’s all I needed to know,” Fassel told the Los Angeles Times in January. “I said, ‘I want to be here, so I appreciate it.’”

In an interview with therams.com, Fassel said he first met McVay the day of the head coach’s introductory press conference at the team facility in Thousand Oaks. And even then, Fassel could feel a good sense of chemistry.

The first time I met him was the day he got introduced as the head coach, so we bumped into each other in the hallway and were high-fiving, and hugging, and it’s almost like we had coached together and known each other for years,” Fassel said. “So it was kind of just like, spontaneous combustion and then here we go. So it was fun right off the bat. And it’s been a great couple of weeks so far.”

While Fassel said he can see how being a familiar face to many players could be beneficial, he’s also taking 2017 as a fresh start.

“I also feel like I’m new, which is kind of cool. I feel like I’m coming into a new team because it’s a new staff and there are going to be some new players,” Fassel said. “But the relationships I have with the players is just so important to me, and I’m glad I get to keep that with a lot of the guys.”

So much so that Fassel gave credit to many of those players for the fact that he was asked to stay on.

“I’ve reached out to a lot of guys and thanked them for their professionalism, work ethic, and success because, you know, if the players play good, then usually coaches have the opportunity to stay — let’s face it,” Fassel said. “So I was very grateful for those guys for really giving me the opportunity to stay as well as coach.”

With the myriad experiences Fassel had as a coach and person in 2016, he said it’s hard to boil it down to one overarching lesson. But stepping in as the club’s interim head coach was clearly among his most meaningful experiences.

“That was like a whole new world that opened up to me that [taught me to] be prepared for the unexpected,” Fassel said. “If you’re not really sure how to do something, figure it out really fast. So, there’s not one thing I can pinpoint that I can say, ‘That’s what I learned.’ It’s just a whole hodgepodge, potpourri of stuff that kind of came at me fast. And It was a great experience for me. I’m super grateful for it, and I think I’m a better coach for it.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How can you not like John Fassel even as interim head coach when he was losing I still loved the guy. Now I know he's not a Head Coach, but he is one of the best (if not the best) Special Team Coordinators in the game and I applaud McVay for keeping him because believe me others might not have IMHO.

I look forward to the Rams special teams making an impact week in and week out and let's be honest here for the last two seasons it's the only unit that did not disappoint.
john-fassel-rams-interim-coach.jpg

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
let's be honest here for the last two seasons it's the only unit that did not disappoint.
I can't lie den, that incomplete pass that Hekker threw against the 49ers had me a little down:(. Looked like we'd been skimping on practice. That ball didn't travel 10 feet. :sick:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't lie den, that incomplete pass that Hekker threw against the 49ers had me a little down:(. Looked like we'd been skimping on practice. That ball didn't travel 10 feet. :sick:
!
Very True, but let's hope we are not in position to pray for our punter to complete a pass!

jap

Legend
John Fassel: "I've got the best damn punter in the game. I have the kicker with arguably the strongest leg in the game. I have an invisible long snapper who doesn't make mistakes, and I got these guys well coached to arrive at the opposing returners at the same time as the rock. How could it possibly be better anywhere else?"

Last edited:

Xavier23

UDFA
John Fassel: "I've got the best damn punter in the game. I have the kicker with arguably the strongest leg in the game. I have an invisible long snapper who doesn't make mistakes, and I got these goys well coached to arrive at the opposing returners at the same time as the rock. How could it possibly be better anywhere else?"
Great quote there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How can you not like John Fassel even as interim head coach when he was losing I still loved the guy. Now I know he's not a Head Coach, but he is one of the best (if not the best) Special Team Coordinators in the game and I applaud McVay for keeping him because believe me others might not have IMHO.

I look forward to the Rams special teams making an impact week in and week out and let's be honest here for the last two seasons it's the only unit that did not disappoint.
"BIG DITTO'S"!! Here^^! I think Fassel show a lot of Guts and character when he was our Temp. HC! I'm Verrrry Happy we have him back!! (y):D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hecker usually throws with Fassel on the sideline. With Fassel busy with HC duties during the game, I'm surprised Fassel didn't have someone else throw with him to warm him up. Hecker went into the play with a cold arm.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
John Fassel Glad to be Sticking With Rams

By Myles Simmons

After a tumultuous 2016 season in Los Angeles that finished with him as interim head coach, John Fassel could have easily looked elsewhere for 2017. Instead, he's said, there wasn’t any other place he wanted to be.

Fassel and new head coach Sean McVay reportedly had a quick and easy discussion that kept the special teams coordinator around for what will be his sixth season with the Rams.

“He said he wants to keep me around — and that’s all I needed to know,” Fassel told the Los Angeles Times in January. “I said, ‘I want to be here, so I appreciate it.’”

In an interview with therams.com, Fassel said he first met McVay the day of the head coach’s introductory press conference at the team facility in Thousand Oaks. And even then, Fassel could feel a good sense of chemistry.

The first time I met him was the day he got introduced as the head coach, so we bumped into each other in the hallway and were high-fiving, and hugging, and it’s almost like we had coached together and known each other for years,” Fassel said. “So it was kind of just like, spontaneous combustion and then here we go. So it was fun right off the bat. And it’s been a great couple of weeks so far.”

While Fassel said he can see how being a familiar face to many players could be beneficial, he’s also taking 2017 as a fresh start.

“I also feel like I’m new, which is kind of cool. I feel like I’m coming into a new team because it’s a new staff and there are going to be some new players,” Fassel said. “But the relationships I have with the players is just so important to me, and I’m glad I get to keep that with a lot of the guys.”

So much so that Fassel gave credit to many of those players for the fact that he was asked to stay on.

“I’ve reached out to a lot of guys and thanked them for their professionalism, work ethic, and success because, you know, if the players play good, then usually coaches have the opportunity to stay — let’s face it,” Fassel said. “So I was very grateful for those guys for really giving me the opportunity to stay as well as coach.”

With the myriad experiences Fassel had as a coach and person in 2016, he said it’s hard to boil it down to one overarching lesson. But stepping in as the club’s interim head coach was clearly among his most meaningful experiences.

“That was like a whole new world that opened up to me that [taught me to] be prepared for the unexpected,” Fassel said. “If you’re not really sure how to do something, figure it out really fast. So, there’s not one thing I can pinpoint that I can say, ‘That’s what I learned.’ It’s just a whole hodgepodge, potpourri of stuff that kind of came at me fast. And It was a great experience for me. I’m super grateful for it, and I think I’m a better coach for it.”

[www.therams.com]

I'm happy about it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Demoff had to have had a little involvement.The Rams know his value to the franchise .If not he would not have been head coach.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Demoff had to have had a little involvement.The Rams know his value to the franchise .If not he would not have been head coach.

Not sure, I'm sure Demoff gave Fassel glowing reviews, however, the unit was a top 5 unit and Fassel wanted to stay in the Golden State...Factor in that it appears McVay can get along with a telephone pole and all worked out to keep Bones in place.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't think KD needed to be involved at all ... except maybe for agreeing with McVay to give him a new contract. Sean McVay needed to fill the ST's Coordinator position. Fassel is at the very least in the top 5 ST's caoches in the league ... if not THE best .. .so he was available and also wanted to stay ... his players love him. Pretty easy call for McVay if you ask me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not sure, I'm sure Demoff gave Fassel glowing reviews, however, the unit was a top 5 unit and Fassel wanted to stay in the Golden State...Factor in that it appears McVay can get along with a telephone pole and all worked out to keep Bones in place.

True - Fassel knows the the players better than all. Like he says he gets guys from all positions on special teams.He brings a great energy.Having a head coach position makes him want to strive for a higher goal. Bones gets along with most everyone.Never threw anyone under the bus.Made sure Fisher was cool with him taking the job.

---Demoff is the number one guy next to Stan Kronke. The big money goes through him. Fisher wanted JJ . Why did that not happen ?? Stan is quoted as talk to Kevin when it comes to football operations. He is the one that hired all the top front office people.Spags,Billy,Fisher,McVay,Snead(Fisher ?)
Bones loves a lot of the players as well. He told them thank you for a reason.Just a real good dude. The Rams let him share special moments of his life with his dad on the sidelines. Extra cool stuff there.
All in all how ever it all came about.This seems to be a very good cast that is put in place.
Bill Belacheat put together an all-star cast together in Cleveland. Then you look at NE a his ex-coaches around the NFL. I can see McVay having that kind of effect in next 10-20 years. You surround yourself with quality and it can go along ways.
49ers had a couple staffs like that.Sieffet left for bigger & better things.He did have Carroll & Shannahan as his OC/DC .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think KD needed to be involved at all ... except maybe for agreeing with McVay to give him a new contract. Sean McVay needed to fill the ST's Coordinator position. Fassel is at the very least in the top 5 ST's caoches in the league ... if not THE best .. .so he was available and also wanted to stay ... his players love him. Pretty easy call for McVay if you ask me.

Sure , but giving high 5's in the hall after hiring. They were pretty much on the same page from the beginning. Why is Fassel even still there ?? Greg Williams was already the DV of the Cleveland Browns.
-- Fassel is & was a Ram . Demoff made Fassel feel at home. If McVay didn't want him he could have been a prick. That was never in the cards. In fact
Fassel might have even been ask his thoughts of McVay ?

---what was Fassel contract ?? Did it change when he became head coach ??
Does anyone even know what was said behind closed doors ?? Then what was said his last meeting with Demoff after the season ?! It was told he was not going to be the head coach & they talked ball . I'm sure there was an agreement in place & Bones was already plant in place . It was just If Bones felt right about the new head coach.
-- That is the way I read into it. To each his own ?!
-- I like the Aaron Dickerson pick up as well. The 2 brought the most energy day in and day out to the practice field.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sure , but giving high 5's in the hall after hiring. They were pretty much on the same page from the beginning. Why is Fassel even still there ?? Greg Williams was already the DV of the Cleveland Browns.
-- Fassel is & was a Ram . Demoff made Fassel feel at home. If McVay didn't want him he could have been a prick. That was never in the cards. In fact
Fassel might have even been ask his thoughts of McVay ?

---what was Fassel contract ?? Did it change when he became head coach ??
Does anyone even know what was said behind closed doors ?? Then what was said his last meeting with Demoff after the season ?! It was told he was not going to be the head coach & they talked ball . I'm sure there was an agreement in place & Bones was already plant in place . It was just If Bones felt right about the new head coach.
-- That is the way I read into it. To each his own ?!
-- I like the Aaron Dickerson pick up as well. The 2 brought the most energy day in and day out to the practice field.
Well for one ... Fassel was already under contract. The others were told they were "free to look for other jobs" ... as was Fassel, IMHO .. .but JF wanted to stay and was hoping the new regime coming in would feel the same. Remember ... all the prior staff was under the same contract as Jeff Fisher. Fisher was fired. Their contracts still were good for another season had they not been retained by the new HC. The rest of the staff was told they had the freedom to look for other jobs .. .and they did ... except Fassel. But had McVay said he wanted to hire somebody else for the ST's, I don't think KD would have forced JF on him. I think it was just an obvious and natural fit and one less spot for SM to worry about. To say it was a "condition" of KD to put on SM's hiring is pure speculation IMHO.

Ram65

Legend

Classy and Smart coach!

It just made sense to keep Fassel. Great ST coach. He also has knowledge of most of they players that at the least will help McVay and the rest of the staff in the transition. I don't know if it was set up by Demoff early on but, that would have been the smart move.