Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I can see why people are wary about GRob even though it's a completely different set if circumstances cause the worst picks in Ram history seem to all belong to Offensive linemen

Mike Schad
Jason Smith

But I think Robinson is gonna be special - someone to put in the Pace column here soon

Martin was plugged into that superior Dallas line - I might have made all rookie team in that line

GRob is extremely underrated /
Martin is extremely overrated

But Both are really good young linemen and I'm glad we have one of them in our LT for the next decade

FrankenRam

Starter
[COLOR=#ff0000]Alan - seeing a BIG screen pic where a polaroid exists[/COLOR] said:
I think you're greatly downplaying the significance of their attempt to trade up. Thinking that they only tried to trade up for Martin because they really liked him is a very facile argument that ignores their recognition of how precarious the situation was on the O-line IMO. I'm sure they liked a lot of players still left in the 1st round but when you're willing to expend all the resources it wold have taken to make that trade up it's obviously (in my mind at least) more than that they "really liked Martin."

The significance of that attempted trade wasn't just that it showed they knew we were, at best, extremely thin on the O-line, it also put to bed all those firmly held convictions (by some) that Fisher "doesn't draft O-line players in the first round." A feeling that was running rampant even in the hallowed halls of the ROD. Not to mention by most of the professional pundits.

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll stick with the notion that they tried to trade back up for Martin primarily (probably not exclusively) because they liked him that much at where they would have been able to get him. Suggests to me they thought he was a Top Five type pick and to be able to get him at what...15(?) would have been as good (to them) as getting Donald where they did.

If they thought the OL situation was as precarious as you suggest, why did they not address it again until the Rhaney pick? Surely, there was good value to be had again prior to their Rd 7 pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the Rams just need to start churning the roster a bit on the OLine. Most years the fail to bring in even one mid round Olineman. Did Rok scare them off? Do they suck at evaluating them? Or is there just an enormous dearth of NFL caliber Olinemen because of Spread offenses in college?

Standing pat on existing depth does no good if you don't have any depth guys climbing the ladder and pushing to start. Last year was the first we saw them start to think about the future of the line. Depth since Jones was draftd. Taking a small school guy with good Measurables is a good strategy IMO. Taking guys with limited production but good Measurables is also a good strategy. You can get them with later picks and see if the can push the backups in camp. At some point tough if there is nobody that can supplant the worst lineman in the league, there needs to be a chage.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Crunch time is coming but it's not here yet. It's not time to panic but it's close...

Alan

Legend
FrankenRam forgetting who we're dealing with:
If they thought the OL situation was as precarious as you suggest, why did they not address it again until the Rhaney pick? Surely, there was good value to be had again prior to their Rd 7 pick.
Hubris? That, big needs in the secondary (who knew you could find a starter at CB in the 6th round?), and the lack of the ideal type of RB needed to run his preferred type of offense combined with Fisher's track record concerning the O-line and the draft would be my guess. Plus, his skewed (IMO) set of priorities.

Not trying to talk you into my point of view Franken or saying that you can't be right about this. Just giving you my thoughts on the matter. Figuring out what Fisher is thinking, whether it's starting Wells and Joseph instead of others who couldn't possibly be any worse IMO or his general attitude towards coddling vets, to give just two examples, isn't something that anyone can be an expert on.

iced

I can see why people are wary about GRob even though it's a completely different set if circumstances cause the worst picks in Ram history seem to all belong to Offensive linemen

Mike Schad
Jason Smith

But I think Robinson is gonna be special - someone to put in the Pace column here soon

Martin was plugged into that superior Dallas line - I might have made all rookie team in that line

GRob is extremely underrated /
Martin is extremely overrated

But Both are really good young linemen and I'm glad we have one of them in our LT for the next decade

that's a severe discredit to martin - I only wish one of our damn guards could play that well

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
that's a severe discredit to martin - I only wish one of our damn guards could play that well

Not trying to take anything away from Martin, he's in a great position on that Cowboys offensive line - it's just hyperbole

But I believe Saffold and Reynolds would both look really good as well playing on the Cowboys offensive line and might both also be viewed as All Pro material as well - barring injury

Then consider GRob with the Dallas offensive line and I'd speculate you'd have been equally impressed and 100% satisfied with his play as so many of you appear to be with Martin

Then ask yourself if Dallas had the #2 pick would the first offensive linemen on their board be Robinson or Martin - you damn well know it was Robinson

iced

Not trying to take anything away from Martin, he's in a great position on that Cowboys offensive line - it's just hyperbole

But I believe Saffold and Reynolds would both look really good as well playing on the Cowboys offensive line and might both also be viewed as All Pro material as well - barring injury

Then consider GRob with the Dallas offensive line and I'd speculate you'd have been equally impressed and 100% satisfied with his play as so many of you appear to be with Martin

Nope, disagree. That's like saying you can just throw Devin Joseph on that line and he'll be all pro - and i don't think there's a soul on here that would agree with that.

Aaron Donald didn't need our d-line to shine on his own - he stuck out well without chris long playing next to him, for example.

Then ask yourself if Dallas had the #2 pick would the first offensive linemen on their board be Robinson or Martin - you damn well know it was Robinson

Could have been easily Jake Long or someone else - we don't know the Cowboys board...but we do know they were enamored enough with Martin that they refused to let us mortgage our future for him