Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No has said the OLine doesn't need to be addressed. I just pointed out that all that ailed the team's won loss record wasn't on the OLine.

And do we really know who Foles is right now? For all we know the twenty something TD vs. 2-3 INT guy may show up. And that's something that no QB including Bradford or even Palmer has come close to, not to mention backups Hill & Davis. Either way, I do like the sound of running the football and getting the ball out of the QBs hands faster. That should only help whomever they suit up.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm sure things are in hand, the way I look at it we already have a few options for our o-line, and that's all we really need is a RT, who I'm sure we'll get

We're bound to draft o-line early in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Barksdale and Blalock post-draft.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I'm sure things are in hand, the way I look at it we already have a few options for our o-line, and that's all we really need is a RT, who I'm sure we'll get

We're bound to draft o-line early in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Barksdale and Blalock post-draft.

Last year after getting Robinson, they were willing and tried to trade up for zach Martin in the 1st round. They certainly must have had a desire to fill a need in 2014. The situation has only gotten worse on draft day 2015. I feel this is the best predictor of what they will do in the first round. I don't really listen to anything that is said 2 weeks before the draft. It is in their interest to put out information to try to affect others choices for the Rams benefit and determine or influence slotting. Although a lot depends on how they perceive Quicks recovery to be going (they know, we don't), they were pretty happy with the same receivers last year. I would bet my house it is all offensive line 1st round and no chance for receiver or middle linebacker. They could have done that last year and didn't.

Athos

Legend
I have a feeling we're going to sign Barksdale and Blalock, that or we really love Barrett Jones or Demetrius Rhaney, because I just can't see them neglecting the OL this much. Even if the draft goes perfect we almost certainly can't fix the OL with both starters and depth.

Barks back and Blalock added + 2 lineman in the draft and we're fine.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

That's why they replaced damned near the entire squad and coordinator? Because of attack mode on offense? Then of course they did that and then rolled 14-2 and a SB appearance? I'm afraid we'll never agree on that. But it's off topic so that's ok.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I meant that even though we made it without the defense that year it wasn't a valid reason not to fix it for the next year. Your two examples were the same thing. They didn't need their OL to be good that particular year, but that's no reason for us to think we can do the same thing. But I think you knew what I meant.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yep. And I understand the concerns Ram fans have in regards to the OL as it currently stands, but I preach patience. No teams roster is complete in mid April. I highly doubt we come out of the draft and the 3rd wave of FA with a worse line than:

Robinson/Saffold/Wells/Joseph/Barksdale

If we resign Barks and draft a few OL we should easily be an improvement from 2014.

Actually, if we resign Barks, we may have our starting OL and I truly think it will shock Rams fans with how good it will be:

Robinson/Saffold/Rhaney/Jones/Barksdal

Add in a guy like Ali Marpet for depth along with who we have now and we're close to complete.

I'm very much on the Jones and Rhaney bandwagons and the FOs lack of action in FA doesn't concern me because I have faith in Jones and Rhaney.

Now, if you have no faith in either player, I can see why you'd be freaking out about now, but all I can say is once OTAs start and reports start coming in, you'll start to see why there is faith in these two players.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
To all the Ram fans who are questioning Snisher:
6a00d83451b52369e2019b03296647970d-550wi.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Actually, if we resign Barks, we may have our starting OL and I truly think it will shock Rams fans with how good it will be:

Robinson/Saffold/Rhaney/Jones/Barksdal

Add in a guy like Ali Marpet for depth along with who we have now and we're close to complete.

I'm very much on the Jones and Rhaney bandwagons and the FOs lack of action in FA doesn't concern me because I have faith in Jones and Rhaney.

Now, if you have no faith in either player, I can see why you'd be freaking out about now, but all I can say is once OTAs start and reports start coming in, you'll start to see why there is faith in these two players.

I have total faith in Jones to become the player he can be whether at centre, guard or RT - after all he played RG, LT and Centre in college (I think people forget that) - he could be our starting RT, RG or C.

FrankenRam

Starter
Last year after getting Robinson, they were willing and tried to trade up for zach Martin in the 1st round. They certainly must have had a desire to fill a need in 2014. The situation has only gotten worse on draft day 2015. I feel this is the best predictor of what they will do in the first round. I don't really listen to anything that is said 2 weeks before the draft. It is in their interest to put out information to try to affect others choices for the Rams benefit and determine or influence slotting. Although a lot depends on how they perceive Quicks recovery to be going (they know, we don't), they were pretty happy with the same receivers last year. I would bet my house it is all offensive line 1st round and no chance for receiver or middle linebacker. They could have done that last year and didn't.

IMO, what they did last year it totally irrelevant. The only thing that supposed rumor about trying to trade back up for Martin tells us is that they are willing to wheel & deal and that they really liked Martin.

Alan

Legend
FrankenRam not looking at the big picture:
IMO, what they did last year it totally irrelevant. The only thing that supposed rumor about trying to trade back up for Martin tells us is that they are willing to wheel & deal and that they really liked Martin.
I think you're greatly downplaying the significance of their attempt to trade up. Thinking that they only tried to trade up for Martin because they really liked him is a very facile argument that ignores their recognition of how precarious the situation was on the O-line IMO. I'm sure they liked a lot of players still left in the 1st round but when you're willing to expend all the resources it wold have taken to make that trade up it's obviously (in my mind at least) more than that they "really liked Martin."

The significance of that attempted trade wasn't just that it showed they knew we were, at best, extremely thin on the O-line, it also put to bed all those firmly held convictions (by some) that Fisher "doesn't draft O-line players in the first round." A feeling that was running rampant even in the hallowed halls of the ROD. Not to mention by most of the professional pundits.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys, trying to trade back into the first for Martin tells me two things. First and foremost - that they had Martin very highly ranked on their draft board - correctly, it turns out. Second, yes they wanted to add a quality player to the OL.

Given that they had taken AD just before that, despite DL being the deepest part of the team, I put more weight on the first part than the second part. Snisher seems to really value where players are ranked on their draft board, and place much less value on filling specific holes, especially high in the draft.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Here's a question.

Would you rather have Martin or Donald?

Long term, I'm glad we got Donald because a top quality DT is harder to find than a G. Short term probably would say Martin.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Jones beats out Barnes and don't slack on Rhaney... I could easily see

GRob
Saffold
Rhaney
Jones
Barks/Peat (if they draft him)

Also, I still don't discount a late trade for Mathis.

GRob
Mathis
Jones
Saffold
Barks/Peat (if they draft him)

Now THAT OL looks damn fine to me...

iced

Here's a question.

Would you rather have Martin or Donald?

Long term, I'm glad we got Donald because a top quality DT is harder to find than a G. Short term probably would say Martin.

I'd rather have Donald and Martin than Donald and Robinson, but that's neither here nor there

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have Donald and Martin than Donald and Robinson, but that's neither here nor there

Understandable - but I think long term Robinson will be more valuable than Martin. We knew that Robinson wasn't fully ready to be the LT when he was drafted - just that he had the physical aspects to be a total beast at it.

I suspect if he could have spent a year at guard, he would have been looking very good there by the end of the season, with a lot of pancake blocks.

But I've been wrong before.

iced

Understandable - but I think long term Robinson will be more valuable than Martin. We knew that Robinson wasn't fully ready to be the LT when he was drafted - just that he had the physical aspects to be a total beast at it.

I suspect if he could have spent a year at guard, he would have been looking very good there by the end of the season, with a lot of pancake blocks.

But I've been wrong before.

For me its we've heard this about other past projects (Jason Smith being the most obvious) - and given how much they wanted to give up for Martin, I think its pretty clear who the pick should have been. I don't have a lot of faith in Robinson as a T - he's more of a guard imo. I don't like his feet for the blind side.