SI: Rams’ Roster Teardown Leaves Them With Few Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nothing really earth shattering as Edge Rusher is a position of weakness. Looking forward to Training Camp & Preseason so we can evaluate and see what the Rams have moving forward.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As they mention, the first 5 games will be a brutal litmus test of this young roster.

dang

Legend
I’m not hearing a strong endorsement of our young Edge players. I’m going to bet they have short list of elite Edge vets they have interest in. I see possibility of a trade before deadline this year but certainly next year. I recall some good FAs available for next year but I don’t see the Rams limiting themselves to just those.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
First 5 games we could easily be 1-4. If they somehow find a way to win a couple more then the season will start to look like they have a chance.

Seahawks and Bengals tend to come out of the gate slow. 49er QB situation is still not settled. If the Rams can take advantage of that and win then I could see a 3-2 start. But that is a big if. Because we could be coming out of the gate just as slow with all the new faces.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
As they mention, the first 5 games will be a brutal litmus test of this young roster.
Very true.

But, the article suggests the Rams would/should tank if they are 0-5 or 1-4 after the week 5 loss to the Eagles.

I don't buy it. There's 12 games left at that point. An improving team is capable of going on a run. A progressing team can learn how to win consistently and slap some regressing teams around.

Win or lose, the first 5 games litmus test might reveal a disciplined team that is going to fight and attack -- maybe even be fun to watch the rest of the year.

I know I'll watch as long they take the field with the intention of winning. I don't care if they stumble. Just get the fuck back up.

Go Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you don't have a strong roster, which is where the Rams are at, you're really going to feel that schedule. So the early portion almost ensures we're gonna have a rough start, and the late season stretch means we should see a bit of a run with good results to finish strong. That's how the season will look overall, though I am not sure what the actual win/loss record will be of course.

If they can steal a couple early wins they shouldn't get in that first four games and fight their way to a 2-2 start I'll be very happy. The start is really important this year, with this roster. If not, it's all good, gonna focus on player development and try to enjoy it. But I am hoping for an early miracle or two in that early stretch of rough games.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are going to surprise some teams this year. There is still enough talent to compete imo

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Far be it for us to question the wisdom and expertise of a publication that chose to feature an octogenarian ex-con in their swimsuit issue.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The 6 win prediction is certainly reasonable and within the window of what's possible.

Me? I'm a Rams fan, so I'm looking through some Royal and Sol tinted glasses.

I see an offense that has a baseline, if healthy of "good"... with the potential to be "very, very good."
The completely reasonable things we could see from offense.. Matt Stafford being the QB he was two years ago. Cooper Kupp being Cooper Kupp. Higbee being a solid TE. Akers putting together a full season. The Oline moving people off the ball in the run game and being solid in pass pro.
The question marks that, if the Rams have the right answers, would lead to the "very, very good" range... Puka and Tutu become legitimate weapons and Jefferson is healthy. Akers' ceiling.. if he plays like he did down the stretch, he's a top-5 back. Hunter Long turns into a real TE weapon.. and the backup RBs are ready to go.

Defense? Man..
I can see the argument that it will be an absolute disaster.
But.. I'm optimistic on a few fronts.
Things that need to happen for the D to be okay:
Bobby Brown needs to play to his potential. He does that, and it offsets the loss of A'Shawn.
Kobie Turner needs to step up fast. We've seen the Rams develop guys drafted later than him in Gaines and SJD... Turner doesn't have the luxury of a red-shirt year if this D is gonna thrive.
Hoecht has to show the pass rush was legit.. and learn to set the edge.
Byron Young has to be a baller.
Kendrick has to take a huge step... and it would be VERY helpful if Rochell somehow figures it out. If that happens? Shit... the defense will be in much better shape than many fear, imo. I have confidence in Durant.. but would love it if they could have him in the slot.. or move him around. His playmaking on the ball is special.
Fuller healthy would be huge.
Lake and Yeast have a year under their belt.. they'll be okay.

We'll see.. I'm repeating myself on a lot of this, I guess... but.... BUT... if the Rams just had one of THOSE drafts... an incredible one... things could be great.
If they hit big on Avila, Young and Turner? Those three alone would make a big, big difference.

dang

Legend
The 6 win prediction is certainly reasonable and within the window of what's possible.

Me? I'm a Rams fan, so I'm looking through some Royal and Sol tinted glasses.

I see an offense that has a baseline, if healthy of "good"... with the potential to be "very, very good."
The completely reasonable things we could see from offense.. Matt Stafford being the QB he was two years ago. Cooper Kupp being Cooper Kupp. Higbee being a solid TE. Akers putting together a full season. The Oline moving people off the ball in the run game and being solid in pass pro.
The question marks that, if the Rams have the right answers, would lead to the "very, very good" range... Puka and Tutu become legitimate weapons and Jefferson is healthy. Akers' ceiling.. if he plays like he did down the stretch, he's a top-5 back. Hunter Long turns into a real TE weapon.. and the backup RBs are ready to go.

Defense? Man..
I can see the argument that it will be an absolute disaster.
But.. I'm optimistic on a few fronts.
Things that need to happen for the D to be okay:
Bobby Brown needs to play to his potential. He does that, and it offsets the loss of A'Shawn.
Kobie Turner needs to step up fast. We've seen the Rams develop guys drafted later than him in Gaines and SJD... Turner doesn't have the luxury of a red-shirt year if this D is gonna thrive.
Hoecht has to show the pass rush was legit.. and learn to set the edge.
Byron Young has to be a baller.
Kendrick has to take a huge step... and it would be VERY helpful if Rochell somehow figures it out. If that happens? Shit... the defense will be in much better shape than many fear, imo. I have confidence in Durant.. but would love it if they could have him in the slot.. or move him around. His playmaking on the ball is special.
Fuller healthy would be huge.
Lake and Yeast have a year under their belt.. they'll be okay.

We'll see.. I'm repeating myself on a lot of this, I guess... but.... BUT... if the Rams just had one of THOSE drafts... an incredible one... things could be great.
If they hit big on Avila, Young and Turner? Those three alone would make a big, big difference.
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Turner or Young turn out to be any better than decent depth.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Turner or Young turn out to be any better than decent depth.
Just so I’m speaking same language, can you name some recent Rams on D you would call “decent depth”?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oko, THill, DLong, and Ebukam as example.
Gotcha.

I'm hopeful that they got a little more than that with Turner and Young.

Young and Ebukam are very interesting comps, actually. Both freak athletes.. Young is actually a little bigger.
Ebukam is a very solid NFL player.. I think Young is at least as good and a little more NFL ready, based on college competition. That's my hope and argument for why I think he can be a quality starter. He has the kinds of rare athletic traits you find in elite edge guys. Let's hope intensive NFL coaching takes him the next level fast.

Turner, his measurables aren't as exciting... but what I've read about the Rams reasons for drafting him and how he has looked, reportedly, makes me feel he'll be fighting for a starting job asap. SJD was more of a developmental guy and Gaines took a couple of years to get it going for whatever reason. Turner was drafted higher than those guys, so my expectations are higher as far as him being ready to go. But I see no reason he can't be as good as both of those guys. His RAS wasn't great with somethings.. but he was elite in strength and agility.

I think first down DL should be Donald, Turner and Brown. I think when we're looking at third downs.. It is likely Copeland next to Donald much of the time.. Maybe Murchison if he makes the squad. By the end of the season.. it could be Turner.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Gotcha.

I'm hopeful that they got a little more than that with Turner and Young.

Young and Ebukam are very interesting comps, actually. Both freak athletes.. Young is actually a little bigger.
Ebukam is a very solid NFL player.. I think Young is at least as good and a little more NFL ready, based on college competition. That's my hope and argument for why I think he can be a quality starter. He has the kinds of rare athletic traits you find in elite edge guys. Let's hope intensive NFL coaching takes him the next level fast.

Turner, his measurables aren't as exciting... but what I've read about the Rams reasons for drafting him and how he has looked, reportedly, makes me feel he'll be fighting for a starting job asap. SJD was more of a developmental guy and Gaines took a couple of years to get it going for whatever reason. Turner was drafted higher than those guys, so my expectations are higher as far as him being ready to go. But I see no reason he can't be as good as both of those guys. His RAS wasn't great with somethings.. but he was elite in strength and agility.

I think first down DL should be Donald, Turner and Brown. I think when we're looking at third downs.. It is likely Copeland next to Donald much of the time.. Maybe Murchison if he makes the squad. By the end of the season.. it could be Turner.
Man I would love to see that Dline right there. it definitely would have the most upside. Hopefully Turner can pass Copeland on the depth chart.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Like I have said repeatedly and truly believe no matter how many pts the offense will score the defense will consistently give up more.

Excluding injuries the offense should be significantly better my guess 24+ ppg - minimumly top 10-15 at worst case and possibly better if the LT holds up, and we find 3 solid wrs to start.

The defense on the other hand is manned by only 2 really solid players in Jones and AD the rest are unproven plus several rookies will be thrust into the starting lineup. It is super rare that rookies play well their first year. The first season is usually a season of adjusting to the NFL game speed and talent on the field. So I don't remotely see how this configuration of young defensive players is going to stop anyone. I would not be surprised to see consistent games where our defense averages giving up 30+ ppg and it could be in the neighborhood of 32-35 ppg.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I guess I see things very differently than many. To me…given a relatively healthy year(of course) the FLOOR for wins is at about 7. There’s no way this team loses 12, 13, 14 games if healthy. I think that’s crazy talk.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Very true.

But, the article suggests the Rams would/should tank if they are 0-5 or 1-4 after the week 5 loss to the Eagles.

I don't buy it. There's 12 games left at that point. An improving team is capable of going on a run. A progressing team can learn how to win consistently and slap some regressing teams around.

Win or lose, the first 5 games litmus test might reveal a disciplined team that is going to fight and attack -- maybe even be fun to watch the rest of the year.

I know I'll watch as long they take the field with the intention of winning. I don't care if they stumble. Just get the fuck back up.

Go Rams.
I think the article said they should start tanking for the draft by Halloween. I don't think so.

It could well be a rough year starting with the tough early schedule. But no matter what the record, I expect the team to be competitive and to keep getting better.