Should this hit be penalised?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Said it then and it is just as clear now. That is spearing and intentionally so. That should be a fine and suspension. And I agree, Fish needs to make some hay out of this for future calls. We can't continue to get this kind of crap reffing in our games.
I'm not 100% on the rules, but is there a way that coaches can 'flag' a play themselves so that it's reviewed on game day by an official with control of TV footage?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It sucks, if the Rams D makes a legal hit like Brockers on Cutler the ref throws the flag because he thought he saw the tackler lead with the helmet but from his positioning he couldnt really see it. The when the Rams QB gets speared the ref doesnt throw the flag because he cant really see the hit due to his positioning.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That is THE DEFINITION of a personal foul. Seeing it again is making me LIVID!! freak THAT STEROIDAL HEADED wuss!! If that had been JL hitting Brady, the Rams organization would have been dissolved by the league....
This is what made me mad, i missed this weeks game for various things and all of you guys were going on about the hit - when i finally found it today - I was really disgusted at the hit - it was so unprofessional and I have to agree @Faceplant if this isn't classed as a personal foul, what on earth is? I mean if a Rams player farts in the direction of an opposing QB is at least 15yards...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
PS... and Fisher needs to be vocal about this!!! He needs to show he's got his quarterback's back (no pun intended) and it also shows that the RAMS aren't gonna take this BS anymore!!! Maybe we'll see a few calls go our way once the officials are aware of it!!!

Maybe thats it because Fisher is on that committee he's scared to call out shitty calls by the refs? It's really pissing me off guys...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yes, that's a penalty. Said it during the game. Matthews also hit Foles in the head later on.
I'll have look for that - didn't Quinn get a Personal foul against him last year for sarcastically tapping a QB on the head? Or was I dreaming...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Said it then and it is just as clear now. That is spearing and intentionally so. That should be a fine and suspension. And I agree, Fish needs to make some hay out of this for future calls. We can't continue to get this kind of crap reffing in our games.
He will. I'm sure that he already has. He has mentioned them, and there were "other" late hits on Foles, especially early. Fisher has mentioned those also. He, usually sends these into the league office, the day after the game, after they can review film, and make a copy of it.

Fisher doesn't shy away, or not call out refs on these. Trust me.

My response is to everyone.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...4/matthews-mum-fine-plans-play-hard/73957736/

Matthews mum on fine; plans to play hard
Weston Hodkiewicz, Press-Gazette Media 7:57 p.m. EDT October 14, 2015
635802799736812435-GPGBrd-10-12-2015-Gazette-1-A002--2015-10-11-IMG-Clay-Matthews-Letro-1-1-CDC72I5K-L690426676-IMG-Clay-Matthews-Letro-1-1-CDC72I5K.jpg

(Photo: Dan Powers/Gannett Wisconsin Media/@powrpics)

Clay Matthews wouldn't say whether he was fined for his hit on St. Louis quarterback Nick Foles in the first quarter of Sunday’s 24-10 win over the Rams.

“I’ll let you guys do your research,” Matthews said at his locker Wednesday.

The Green Bay Packers linebacker appeared to lead with his helmet during the Rams’ second offensive series, hitting Foles square in the chest. FOX rules analyst Mike Pereira and St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher both felt he should’ve been flagged for unnecessary roughness on the play. Pereira added that a fine could be possible since he led with the crown of his helmet.

If the NFL did indeed fine Matthews — players typically are told midweek — it will be the second time he’s received league stationery for a hit on Foles. He previously was fined $15,750 for a roughing the passer penalty on Foles in Week 10 of the 2013 season, but it was rescinded upon appeal.

Matthews, who also was fined for a hit on San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2013, was docked $22,000 for a blindside block on Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson in last January’s NFC championship game.

Matthews said he wasn’t trying to intentionally hurt Foles, but he also doesn’t plan to change how he plays.

“You can’t play … you play hard. I play hard,” Matthews said. “What happens is what happens. I don’t think anybody in this league, hopefully, intentionally goes out there to break the rules. You know, when you play hard, you have no regrets. That’s how I play, whether it’s a face mask or a low hit on the quarterback. I don’t think anybody intentionally, especially myself, goes out there and tries to inflict illegal hits or pain or whatever you like to call it. It’s just a byproduct of playing hard, I believe.”

whodkiew@pressgazettemedia.com and follow him on Twitter @WesHod.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
Clay Matthews: Hit on Nick Foles 'a byproduct of playing hard'
By Rob Demovsky

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...hit-on-nick-foles-a-byproduct-of-playing-hard

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Clay Matthews is staring at another fine, and it doesn't seem to bother him.

Although the Green Bay Packers linebacker would not say whether his hit on St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles on Sunday drew a fine -- players are notified midweek and the NFL announces them on Fridays -- it’s a good bet that Matthews will be docked some cash after drilling Foles with the crown of his helmet.

Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira said during the game that Matthews should have been penalized for the hit because you cannot hit a defenseless player with the crown of your helmet. Rams coach Jeff Fisher also felt there should have been a penalty called on the play.

“You play hard,” Matthews said this week. “I play hard. What happens is what happens. I don’t think anybody in this league, hopefully, intentionally goes out there to break the rules. You know, when you play hard, you have no regrets. That’s how I play, whether it’s a facemask or a low hit on the quarterback. I don’t think anybody intentionally, especially myself, goes out there and tries to inflict illegal hits or pain or whatever you like to call it. It’s just a byproduct of playing hard, I believe.”

If Matthews is fined, it won’t be the first time for a hit on Foles. He drew a $15,570 fine for roughing up Foles in 2013 when Foles was a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. However, that fine was eventually wiped out after Matthews appealed.

"I got the whole thing rescinded because I didn't hit him with my head," Matthews said at the time.

Matthews was most recently fined $22,050 for an illegal blindside hit on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson during an interception return in the NFC Championship Game.

"I was just blocking whoever and it turned out to be the quarterback and obviously calls are going to go in their direction whether it was a blind-side hit or whatever," Matthews said after that game. "I'm just looking to pick up a block and unfortunately that's just how the game played out."

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I know nothing was said on game day, but I've only just seen the hit. I didn't realise you could tackle by using the top of your helmet to hit the opposition in the middle of their sternum.

Surely, there should be some post-game evaluation on the non-call by the zebra's here - I'm sure if it would have been a Ram hitting ARod, he'd have been ejected from the playing field!

PS. Apologies if this has already been posted in another thread.

Yes, it should.

giphy.gif

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Where the F is Mike Periera back in the studio to bring this one to light?!? He was all over Stedman Bailey's s#!+ when he napped on the football.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Where the F is Mike Periera back in the studio to bring this one to light?!? He was all over Stedman Bailey's s#!+ when he napped on the football.
He did bring it up, read the bolded part of my post.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If that were Laurinaitus spearing Rodgers even half as hard, it wouldn't have been a penalty, fine and a suspension.

Am I wrong?
Any Rams defenders get ejected for a hit like that on Rodgers. Lol.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Head down hit like that is a good way to get your neck broken Clay. Try that shit next time you see TG30 headed for you ya pussy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
freak it - that hit could have ended a QBs season...

suspend Mathews - without Pay for the rest of the season

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't even really blame Matthews all that much. Sure he made an illegal hit and should have been flagged and BETTER receive a fine. But these fucking refs need to catch a damn clue. And also, there is absolutely no reason these kinds of offenses can't be reviewed by either coaches or the eye in the sky. Give the coaches a yellow and red hanky they can throw directly at the POS ref that missed the call. These guys are supposed to be the best, yet are worse than college refs. I watch a lot of college ball and don't see near the missed calls I see in the freaking NFL. There is no excuse for this pathetic level of competence.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not 100% on the rules, but is there a way that coaches can 'flag' a play themselves so that it's reviewed on game day by an official with control of TV footage?
No but I've been banging my shoe on the dais for just this kind of rule for years now. And the problem is that it just keeps getting worse. These officials are terrible these days.

Frankly, I'm tired of this excuse that they are going to err on the side of safety and that is why the blow some of the calls. Then they are as quiet as a mouse when this kind of shit happens. This could have put Foles out for the year and caused a pretty significant lingering injury.

The NFL is a mess right now and Goodell seems to have his fingerprints on all that is wrong. He needs to go in the worst way.