Should the Rams give Davis a shot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Im not blaming anything on Clemens, but is he the long term solution as back up QB? Why not give Davis a shot and see if he is worth keeping for next season or do we need to look at drafting a developmental QB. Not sure that he could step in this week, but maybe after the bye. Its highly unlikely that the Rams are going to be contending for a playoff bid, so its not like conceding the remainder of the season. And it would give the FO 6 weeks of game film to help them reach their decision on Davis. The only way to know for sure what he can do in regular season action is to give him a shot. Who knows maybe he gives the team the spark it needs to go on a 6 game win streak and possibly a chance at the playoffs.

Ram_of_Old

Look, we have nothing to lose. Put the kid in and give him a shot. He will get ayear's experience and will be a solid backup for Sam. Clemens is a placeholder. Give the kid some experience.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why not give Davis a shot and see if he is worth keeping for next season or do we need to look at drafting a developmental QB.

That's the key question. But since the Rams aren't in evaluation mode yet, they won't be evaluating Davis. *Personally*, yeah. I'd like to see what Davis can do too, because we know what Clemens' ceiling is. The coaches see these two guys every day, so they must know who's better at this point. The unknown, though, is how a player will respond to pressure situations. Davis could be meh in practice, but the light might come on during a game. So to answer your question from a fan's perspective ... yes. They should give him a shot.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Even though Davis was basically named the #2 QB going into camp this year by Fish, Clemens beat his ass out for the job. I want the guy our there who earned the position with his play,,, not the guy who couldn't hold his jock. If Davis was good enough, he would have been the #2 QB after camp as well.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The question is what mode are the Rams in now?

They are trying to win games, sure. But not because they honestly believe they have a shot at the playoffs. Clearly, they have no shot now.

So why not roll the dice with Davis? Will that be detrimental to the other players in any way? Heck, they can always switch back to Clemens. He probably won't even be on the team next year. Let's find out about Davis, then.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Will that be detrimental to the other players in any way?
Another key question.

My only guess would be that they would KNOW if he'd earned it or not. Handing starting positions to guys who haven't earned it yet could be a pretty big detriment to a locker room. Particularly since Clemens has battled hard these past two games and has the full support of the players. Can't necessarily pull that out from under him if Davis isn't showing as much during practice.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
To me it's not winning or losing at this point. I personally dropped my expectations down to where they needed to be after the Dallas game. This young team needs to grow and play together in games. Not practice. Losing Bradford was a big enough blow to the learning curve moving forward. As much as I know KC is not the guy who can keep you winning games while your #1 is out, he is the best guy WE have to keep the learning process going for the rest of the players. We don't need a bunch of rookie type mistakes out of the qb position distracting from the learning curve of the guys who are actually gonna play next year.

jap

Legend
Until the Horns are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, expect to see Kellen running the show.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
There's no question in my mind that bringing in Davis would hurt the team both behind the scenes and on the field. The other players are all fighting for their jobs, and the starters are in place because they've earned it. Clemens earned his current spot and the rest of the players now it.

It's also been stated the Clemens is well thought of / respected by the players.

One would have to believe that he is the best option our very young team has at this crucial position. Our Wrs need to be allowed to develop as much as possible,,, Clemens is clearly the best option for that in my eyes...

Clemens is what's best for the team in it's current state. I don't like it, but it is reality from where I'm sitting.

duckhunter

Starter
The locker room thing on earning positions is important. Fish needs to put the best team with a chance to win on the field. for the players' sake.

If he earns it, fine. Down to the last few games or in a blow out then work Davis in. same with other positions. If they show improvement players and fans expect hard work and potential to be rewarded by a small bone to gnaw on to begin with.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I want us to draft a later round, 4th or so, QB to develope and start if Sam goes down. I prefer Clemons to start because we have enough guys learning to play the game. Just me.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Yes, once Clemons doesn't show anything worthwhile till the Bye week.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think he does, but i understand why they are sticking with Clemens in the meantime.

They know what they have in Clemens in games. He isn't going to win any games for you, just limit the chances of losing them.

Davis is a wild card that they really don't know what he is going to do during games, he might take more risks, might get more td's, might throw more int's, etc.

Even if Davis has played better then Clemens in practice, i think Schotty just trusts Clemens more at this point and that is why he is in.

nighttrain

Legend
Selassie I said
Clemens is what's best for the team in it's current state. I don't like it, but it is reality from where I'm sitting.
I'm with this thot, gotta go with the vet against GB, where we have a shot after Luck going down
train

fearsomefour

Legend
Im not blaming anything on Clemens, but is he the long term solution as back up QB? Why not give Davis a shot and see if he is worth keeping for next season or do we need to look at drafting a developmental QB. Not sure that he could step in this week, but maybe after the bye. Its highly unlikely that the Rams are going to be contending for a playoff bid, so its not like conceding the remainder of the season. And it would give the FO 6 weeks of game film to help them reach their decision on Davis. The only way to know for sure what he can do in regular season action is to give him a shot. Who knows maybe he gives the team the spark it needs to go on a 6 game win streak and possibly a chance at the playoffs.

The only problem with this thought process is they have made their decision on Davis. They cut him from the team. The staff decided that carrying an extra Olineman that wasnt dressing for game day and or an extra DE who rarely sees the field was of more value than keeping Davis. Nothing against the kid and Im with you, might as well....except the coaches have already decided. Very rarely do guys reverse course on a player. They cut him, they would not have re signed him if Bradford didnt get hurt and the odds of him coming to camp next year were very slim. Lets say 3 week from Clemons twists an ankle, I think you will see Quinn come in and not Davis for this reason.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
How about the "other" Davis? I would like to see Cody Davis more on Defense ... See if we will be good with he and TJMcD going into next season. We are not going to get to the playoffs ... so might as well see what the kids got.

nighttrain

Legend
How about the "other" Davis? I would like to see Cody Davis more on Defense ... See if we will be good with he and TJMcD going into next season. We are not going to get to the playoffs ... so might as well see what the kids got.
This Davis is the one who should be out there!
train

fearsomefour

Legend
This Davis is the one who should be out there!
train

He is on the active roster, which he was not before. If he has earned it he will get his shot. Stewart is finally healthy and Mcleod is playing ok. With McDonald, Mcleod and Davis returning next year (I am assuming Stewart is gone) I think S could be a real strength.