Should the Rams give Davis a shot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
He is on the active roster, which he was not before. If he has earned it he will get his shot. Stewart is finally healthy and Mcleod is playing ok. With McDonald, Mcleod and Davis returning next year (I am assuming Stewart is gone) I think S could be a real strength.
with our season pretty much shot, i'd be giving Davis a lot of playing time, don't wait til Stewart is gone to find out what Cody Davis can do.
train

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
with our season pretty much shot, i'd be giving Davis a lot of playing time, don't wait til Stewart is gone to find out what Cody Davis can do.
train
That is the rub ... guys don't get better by just practicing. Seeing things at game speed and all that helps speed up the process. Not to mention ... sometimes if a guy is given a shot and he makes a good play .... the confidence goes up and sometimes carries on to the next one. As I said .. .we don't have a realistic shot at the playoffs, so now would be the time to see how they respond.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
To see what he can do....

Guys, the team had opportunities to win despite his mistakes. They are close with him and IMO he's not the SOLE cause for the last 2 weeks.

If you want Austin Davis chances are you'll get Jeff Tuel than Kurt Warner. Or Rusty Smith or Keith Null etc.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
To see what he can do....

Guys, the team had opportunities to win despite his mistakes. They are close with him and IMO he's not the SOLE cause for the last 2 weeks.

If you want Austin Davis chances are you'll get Jeff Tuel than Kurt Warner. Or Rusty Smith or Keith Null etc.
Angry Ram .... I'm talking about Cody Davis at Safety .. not Austin Davis at QB lol

moklerman

Warner-phile
No, it isn't time to play Austin Davis. The team can keep moving forward with Clemens. They may not win much but all the guys that need to get more experience on offense will be able to continue with what they've been doing. With Davis, that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm not so sure it is "known" what Clemens' ceiling is. As it stands, he's a solid #2 QB in my book. He's got plenty of years left and for me, my plan is to have Bradford under center for the Rams for another 10 years or so which means Bradford/Clemens is fine for the next few years. Surround them with a good team and then when the team is consistently good, a developmental QB can be drafted. Then he can come in and actually develop. Throwing Davis or any other greenhorn out there with receivers who aren't ready and an offense that isn't particularly good at blocking isn't going to let anyone see what the QB can do.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Davis needs to start at least a few games this year if for no other reason than clemens will likely be gone next year so why not see what Davis has to offer?

Best case scenario with Davis: Kurt Warner
Worst Case: turns the ball over and is the reason we lose

Best Case scenario with clemens: Manages the game, doesn't turn the ball over, gives rest of team a shot to win the game
Worst Case: turns the ball over and is the reason we lose...Idk too me, just seems like why not??

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant understand the fascination with Austin Davis. He wasnt good enough to make the team nor the practice squad. Now he's back as an emergency guy. I think theres a better chance we see Brady Quinn then Austin Davis

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
No, it isn't time to play Austin Davis. The team can keep moving forward with Clemens. They may not win much but all the guys that need to get more experience on offense will be able to continue with what they've been doing. With Davis, that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm not so sure it is "known" what Clemens' ceiling is. As it stands, he's a solid #2 QB in my book. He's got plenty of years left and for me, my plan is to have Bradford under center for the Rams for another 10 years or so which means Bradford/Clemens is fine for the next few years. Surround them with a good team and then when the team is consistently good, a developmental QB can be drafted. Then he can come in and actually develop. Throwing Davis or any other greenhorn out there with receivers who aren't ready and an offense that isn't particularly good at blocking isn't going to let anyone see what the QB can do.
My prob with him is he makes too damn much to be our long term backup. I think hes on the books for a milli this year.
id rather see what we have in Quinn for real. Our o line is solid and he just might thrive with the way we've been running the rock. Its not like Clemens is making the impossible throws out there. IMO his knowledge of the offense is his only upside for real.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Im not sure its accurate to say Clemens is a solid number 2...there really aren't any stats or victories anywhere in his career to validate that...Guys like Kirk Cousins, Josh McCown, Nick Foles, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer, Terrell Pryor, Kase Keenum....These guys are or were other teams backups why should we hold ours to different standards

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant understand the fascination with Austin Davis. He wasnt good enough to make the team nor the practice squad. Now he's back as an emergency guy. I think theres a better chance we see Brady Quinn then Austin Davis

Not necessarily true...He outplayed clemens this pre season they decided to go with clemens as more of a mentor/knows the offense better role

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not necessarily true...He outplayed clemens this pre season they decided to go with clemens as more of a mentor/knows the offense better role
He didnt outplay Davis. I dont know where this comes from. It was his job to lose, and he lost it. The Rams could have done exactly what they did last year, cut Clemens, and sign him after week #1. But they didnt, because he out played Davis. If they had any inkling that Davis could still be the guy, they would have at least signed him to the PS

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it's simple, I don't believe clemens is the long term solution at backup qb. Davis at this point is an unknown, chances are he's not the answer either but, if were paying him, why not find out if we have something before spending a draft pick to address this problem next year?

tonyl711

Starter
Fisher kept Clemmons and cut Davis for a reason, IMO the only reason he was brought back was his familiarity with the offense, I doubt either will be here next year. with the fact that Clemmons was kept and Davis was cut, putting Davis in would be viewed as giving up on the season IMO and I don't think Fisher wants to teach these young players to give up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Fisher kept Clemmons and cut Davis for a reason, IMO the only reason he was brought back was his familiarity with the offense, I doubt either will be here next year. with the fact that Clemmons was kept and Davis was cut, putting Davis in would be viewed as giving up on the season IMO and I don't think Fisher wants to teach these young players to give up.
AHHH ya know IT OCCURS to me, that at some point Clemens cap number will make Davis more attractive so HE might be back next year,but IMO he'd need to show something we have not yet seen.

jap

Legend
We are still playoff hopefuls. Killer Kellen has to try & do his thing.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We are still playoff hopefuls. Killer Kellen has to try & do his thing.
I had zero problems with his play today,well he was behind some people on some crossing patterns but that bomb to TA,that's gonna loosen up some secondaries when they see THAT on tape.

Slappy967

Starter
Pretty sure the discussion is about CODY DAVIS not Austin lol. I too feel CODY DAVIS deserves a shot at a few reps.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I strongly feel we should not give Davis a shot. This team has had to go through tremendous adversity between young players having to adjust to the pro game and Sam going down. Why the heck would we ant to throw more adversity by throwing a crappy YOUNG QB in the mix? Clemons is a vet, knows the offense, and the young guys are just starting to find their stride under him. Why the heck would we jeopardize that? Forget Davis!