Should I get Windows 10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
My wife just asked me that question today.

My only hesitation is that since it's new, you have to wonder if there will be bugs they have to work out. The Windows 7 works fine for me. I wonder if it's worth making the switch or if it's actually better to wait awhile. Like you said, things change fast. I look forward to responses from people who actually have an idea about this. I'm in the same boat.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
We have like 5 computers , only one still has Windows 7, the other four have Windows 8.1 , which I hate

We have 2 desk tops and three laps tops , I'm really the only one that uses the desk tops , wife and kid just use their lap tops , both with Windows 8.1

The thing with the desk tops , the one that I actually use all the time has Windows 7 on it which I like a lot , but this PC is getting pretty old , so a while back I bought a new desk top , thinking my old desk top is on it's last leg , but it just keeps clicking away , has a few kinks in it , but still works OK , so now I have this basic brand new PC that sits in the spare bedroom I never use , and a lap top I never use , both with Windows 8.1 , I just turn them on every now and then to keep them updated

So when time comes to update to Windows 10 , I'm just going to skip it with my Desk Top with Windows 7 , I'm not sure this old PC could handle the update and don't want to risk it, I have ALOT of crap downloaded on this PC

Now our other 4 computers have Windows 8.1 and I'm sure we'll be doing the Windows 10 update , I just absolutely hate Windows 8.1 , and can't wait for the up dates

But we'll probably just do one at first and see how it goes , probably my lap top , I never use it anyways

Ozoneranger

Rookie
Let someone else be the Beta Tester. As I despise 8.1, I'll wait a few updated cycles before upgrading t o 10. Ideally, it's best to wait until the first service pack comes out, but that could take a year or more.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I still use Win 7 home premium (free with a crack). I won't upgrade until the service pack comes out. I'm more waiting for DX12 than I am an OS upgrade.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing about waiting tho, you'll have to pay up eventually. It's a $100ish savings right there. Plus you'll get all the updates and patches as they come.

IMO I think in this day in age the amount of bugs and stuff is much less of a worry than say 2005. I'm more concerned about performance.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I cannot stand Windows 8, so I'll be moving to windows 10 with my school computer. My home computer has windows 7, I might hold off on this on for while, I like 7.

I'm waiting on Windows 10 to get myself a new gaming desktop, so I'll be upgrading to that then. I wont let 8 dirty that baby.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The thing about waiting tho, you'll have to pay up eventually. It's a $100ish savings right there. Plus you'll get all the updates and patches as they come.

IMO I think in this day in age the amount of bugs and stuff is much less of a worry than say 2005. I'm more concerned about performance.

The saving is pretty good, since these things usually run between 100-150 bucks. My friend's father has a windows 10 beta, and he likes it, so does my buddy from what he's played around on it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Depends on what you use your PC for. I downloaded the beta and ran it (dual boot) for a week or 2 on my test laptop at work but I was able to render it useless with just a few application installs. Then again, I use a lot of tools/applications at work, so that is not surprising. I think it may have been VMware that pummeled it. Ironically, I run it in a VM now just so I can mess around with it and get updates to see how things are ironing out.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
If it ain't broke don't fix it...windows will let you know when a change is necessary...ie when they no longer will support 7 or 8.1.

Angry Ram

Depends on what you use your PC for. I downloaded the beta and ran it (dual boot) for a week or 2 on my test laptop at work but I was able to render it useless with just a few application installs. Then again, I use a lot of tools/applications at work, so that is not surprising. I think it may have been VMware that pummeled it. Ironically, I run it in a VM now just so I can mess around with it and get updates to see how things are ironing out.

Besides email and web browsing, I use my computer for gaming. Not a hardcore gamer, but a casual MMO type game (Marvel Heroes).

BTW what's a VM?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Besides email and web browsing, I use my computer for gaming. Not a hardcore gamer, but a casual MMO type game (Marvel Heroes).

BTW what's a VM?
Virtual Machine. We use them quite a bit in my data center at work. Most companies are going virtual nowadays. Not sure how technical you are, but look it up if you are interested, I don't want to muddy up your thread, haha.

Angry Ram

Virtual Machine. We use them quite a bit in my data center at work. Most companies are going virtual nowadays. Not sure how technical you are, but look it up if you are interested, I don't want to muddy up your thread, haha.

Gih, that sounds complicated. And too nerdy, even for me.

I did see that it you want more power and graphics for gaming, VM isn't the best answer.

I think I'll go ahead and do 10, worse case I can do a system restore.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't like 8 and want to change but I usually wait for an update or two before I take the plunge.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely recommend once you're due for a hardware upgrade. I'm still waiting for 8gb VRAM GPU's in mass production before I upgrade my 2012 desktop.

Glad I stuck with Windows 7, was contemplating on 8.1 but the UI was undesirable unless you're into touchscreen. Microsoft pulled their head out of their asses and improved off of Windows 7 rather than changing the foundation of the UI entirely.

If you're skeptical, I recommend waiting for a couple of updates and reviewers before upgrading. Launch day products tend to have plenty of bugs and won't have a stable release until after a week or later.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Put me in the minority that finds 8 good.

So; yes. I'd jump at 10.

Windows is cleaning its act up since before Win7 and while I own a MacBook Pro I am still a big Windows fan.

Angry Ram

So update week is here. Apparently it's going to go out in "waves" and my "wave" hasn't arrived yet.

If you got it, share your experience! :cheers: