Should I get Windows 10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I was leery at first, but eventually I updated my surface, and then my workstation at work.

Now the surface was nothing, with a solid state drive, it just runs fast as would expect it to with no noticeable difference in performance. But the workstation, had me really concerned as it's my main development machine. At first I was really nervous as the actual start menu seems slower, and it was linked to Cortana (at first as I discovered, at least until you turn it off) and it does want to combine local machine and web searches. After disabling the AV and Cortana, I had installed and reverted back to security essentials, I found it ran very fast. The memory manager seems much improved to me.

So there's really no change to your installed software, what will change in some cases are the actual drivers, which is to be expected. But for the most part, the new drivers seem to be working better, or smoother if you will.

Also, I don't know if anyone uses the command prompt, but I did find an option to make that opaque, which really looks cool with some backgrounds. One thing I'd really mention to anyone not used to the newer menu systems is forget about it and simply type what you want in the search bar. I know it seems backwards, but honestly with all of the new applications, and Microsoft's constant reorganization of interfaces to actually give people a reason to buy the new software, it can be hard to find anything anymore through the windows menu.

So don't do it, and simply type what you're looking for in the box next to the windows start button. Control Panel, Windows update, Device Manager. ODBC. Whatever, it's faster just to type it if you don't have it linked to the taskbar. It's what they tried to get people to do with 8, but failed at, but that anyone managing a 2012 server learns fast.

Anyway, after those experiences, I've made sure that all of the new boxes I have set up have 10 on them. Now, I'm a developer at heart and try not to spend a lot of time on Administrator, but I don't feel like this was an aggressive or time consuming move on my part.

Also, if you're worried about the upgrade causing problems and losing data, please, take care to back up your data anyway. Not a sell for the upgrade or anything, but a please save your priceless pictures or whatever.

Closing comment, use disk cleanup and system as soon as you're comfortable with the OS, Windows.old typically takes up 28GB on your hard drive.

Hope you found that useful :)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Is the update from Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 required? I don't mind updating my OS but I prefer waiting until over 98% of the compatibility issues are resolved
On a failed hard drive on a laptop, I actually fought with Dell's drivers for windows 7 right up until I didn't have to. The 10 drivers were actually smoother and without the supporting bloatware of like the fingerprint security device that no one uses :)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Closing comment, use disk cleanup and system as soon as you're comfortable with the OS, Windows.old typically takes up 28GB on your hard drive.

Just as a note for others, this deletes your old OS, so you can no longer roll back (without a clean install).. If you want to stay with 10, go ahead and delete it though.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
To those that have made the change to Windows 10...what do you think so far? Are you happy you made the change? I'm still running Windows 7 and thinking of making the change to 10.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just got a new computer with Windows 10 - and while I'm still getting used to it, I'm amazed at how much more quickly it boots up. With the latest updates it promises 30% faster. I have the old and new still set up, and while I realize the old is slower for many reasons (why I replaced it,after all) Windows 10 boots up much faster, and definitely faster than Windows 7 ever did.

The only downside I've seen so far is that Winamp - which has not been upgraded since 2013 and is defunct - does not work properly, so I have to get used to a new and thus far inferior MP3 player.

Debacled

Starter
I'm still running a cracked windows 7 version (couldnt read the faded cd key on the side of my tower after a clean install haha).

Any noticeable upgrades for 10 over 7 other than microsofts "sneaky" attempt at extra data mining?