shooting in Aurora, Colorado

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:
I love it. Let any idiot carry a weapon, then if he flips out and kills 15 people we'll give him the "ultimate punishment". Best country in the world my ass.

Nobody here is saying we're the best, Scot. But this guy is a psychopath who murdered twelve people in cold blood, injured over fifty others, and put many other people - including babies - at risk. You'd rather him stay in a comfy cell or a hospital ward where the rest of us have to pay to keep him alive?

And we don't let any person carry a weapon. There are extremely strict requirements to purchase a gun legally. Unfortunately, there are a lot of illegal weapons that are being sold into the U.S., and the criminals get their guns from those suppliers. This is not an isolated problem. This is not just the United States. This is all over the world, and believe it or not, there are quite a few places that are far worse off than we are.

The death penalty is fundamentally wrong. It's primitive, vengeful, vindictive, eye for an eye type stuff. What gives anyone the right to take another's life? Just because you've been voted into government doesn't give you the right to execute, IMHO. Killing as a punishment is the equal of the original crime, stooping to their level, call it what you will. Forcing someone to spend the remainder of their life behind bars with no hope of release and allowing them the opportunity to develop some real remorse is a far more painful punishment for the criminal, and the fact that the US is one of the very few "1st world" countries that still practices the death penalty vindicates this IMO. The UK stopped the death penalty in 1963 and it was abhorrent then as well.

The US has relatively lax gun laws, and it's fundamentally because of your constitution (god forbid changing laws set down 300 years ago) and partly because of your disgusting gun lobbyists. You all seem to claim you're much safer with having weapons for home defence, well if nobody had guns you wouldn't need to defend yourselves. I respect your country in a huge number of ways, and all Americans I've had the pleasure of meeting have been great people, but your gun laws/attitudes to weapons/capital punishment obsession are frankly draconian.

Funny thing about the death penalty; it has no repeat offenders. And psychopaths like him never develop remorse. He is the type of person who would laugh and brag about shooting innocent people to fellow inmates. I absolutely do not want my fucking taxes to go support a fucking devilspawn like him.

As for the gun laws, every single country in the world has this problem. Criminals in every nation can easily get their hands on guns in spite of anything that a government can possibly do. Do you really want another Norway massacre where the civilians couldn't even defend themselves from a gun-toting lunatic?

I'm not saying to throw people in prison for jaywalking or traffic tickets or to randomly execute every single person who commits a felony. But people like this guy absolutely do not deserve a second lease on life.

I'm going to stop here. I'm not going to get drawn into a debate about it because there's nothing in the world that would change my stance on this.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
ScotsRam said:
Ramhusker said:
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:
I love it. Let any idiot carry a weapon, then if he flips out and kills 15 people we'll give him the "ultimate punishment". Best country in the world my ass.

Nobody here is saying we're the best, Scot. But this guy is a psychopath who murdered twelve people in cold blood, injured over fifty others, and put many other people - including babies - at risk. You'd rather him stay in a comfy cell or a hospital ward where the rest of us have to pay to keep him alive?

And we don't let any person carry a weapon. There are extremely strict requirements to purchase a gun legally. Unfortunately, there are a lot of illegal weapons that are being sold into the U.S., and the criminals get their guns from those suppliers. This is not an isolated problem. This is not just the United States. This is all over the world, and believe it or not, there are quite a few places that are far worse off than we are.

The death penalty is fundamentally wrong. It's primitive, vengeful, vindictive, eye for an eye type stuff. What gives anyone the right to take another's life? Just because you've been voted into government doesn't give you the right to execute, IMHO. Killing as a punishment is the equal of the original crime, stooping to their level, call it what you will. Forcing someone to spend the remainder of their life behind bars with no hope of release and allowing them the opportunity to develop some real remorse is a far more painful punishment for the criminal, and the fact that the US is one of the very few "1st world" countries that still practices the death penalty vindicates this IMO. The UK stopped the death penalty in 1963 and it was abhorrent then as well.

The US has relatively lax gun laws, and it's fundamentally because of your constitution (god forbid changing laws set down 300 years ago) and partly because of your disgusting gun lobbyists. You all seem to claim you're much safer with having weapons for home defence, well if nobody had guns you wouldn't need to defend yourselves. I respect your country in a huge number of ways, and all Americans I've had the pleasure of meeting have been great people, but your gun laws/attitudes to weapons/capital punishment obsession are frankly draconian.

I have to disagree with ya Scot. Just back from London in May. 40+ stabbing deaths to date this year and that was just teenagers. Evil people will kill with whatever is available. The US would of been invaded in WWII were it not for our 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Many of those 300 year old laws are amazingly timeless mainly due to the fact that they were rooted in what was and still is right with the human condition.

I'm all for putting this guy away for life but I don't agree on spending one dime for it. Lock him up, throw away the key. No need for food, lights, guards, etc. Let nature take its course from there.

I agree with you Husker in that evil people will kill with whatever they can, however the stabbing comparison, whilst still shocking, is a little off. If this guy in Colorado had only a knife, do you think he would have been able to kill 15 and injure 50 before he was stopped? It's not the same thing. Also London crime is largely gang related (as I'm sure much US crime is), in reality the UK sees very little "random" violence. I appreciate that the population of the US is much greater and so by definition you will see much more crime... but you seem to have your priorities wrong. A justice system based on vengeance is never going to solve the violence- it'll just make you feel better about it.
I don't like the idea of the death penalty either, and yet I can see the need to deal with mass murders in just that way. I don't know anything about this guy in Aurora, but I don't believe remorse will enter his thoughts, unless he gets close to his final day.

Even if he is looney tunes (hearing voices, etc.), he's guilty by reason of insanity, rather than not guilty. I never understood why that verdict, when the insanity caused crime.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with you Husker in that evil people will kill with whatever they can, however the stabbing comparison, whilst still shocking, is a little off. If this guy in Colorado had only a knife, do you think he would have been able to kill 15 and injure 50 before he was stopped? It's not the same thing.
Timothy McVeigh didn't have a gun at all. Psychopathic killers are going to find a way to get the job done. I'm with you on the gun laws, because the last thing this Country needs is to arm everyone, but that's not going to stop people from doing what they're compelled to do if they're intent on killing large groups of people. This Colorado guy could have made a few pipe bombs and done the same thing - or even worse.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:

Funny thing about the death penalty; it has no repeat offenders. And psychopaths like him never develop remorse. He is the type of person who would laugh and brag about shooting innocent people to fellow inmates. I absolutely do not want my fucking taxes to go support a fucking devilspawn like him.

As for the gun laws, every single country in the world has this problem. Criminals in every nation can easily get their hands on guns in spite of anything that a government can possibly do. Do you really want another Norway massacre where the civilians couldn't even defend themselves from a gun-toting lunatic?

I'm not saying to throw people in prison for jaywalking or traffic tickets or to randomly execute every single person who commits a felony. But people like this guy absolutely do not deserve a second lease on life.

I'm going to stop here. I'm not going to get drawn into a debate about it because there's nothing in the world that would change my stance on this.

I respect your opinions Memento, and as we aren't going to agree, lets agree to disagree. Also the American justice system is nothing to do with me and while I don't always agree with your choices its your prerogative to administer it as you see fit. Hope I haven't stepped on any toes.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Also, as a side note.

The theater was a gun-free zone, meaning that even though who were licensed to carry were not legally allowed to have a firearm with them.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
It cost about on average $30,000 a year to incarcerate someone. Even more for older inmates due to medical cost.

The shooter in Colorado is 24 years old. Lets asume he lives till he's 74. 50 years. That means it would 1.5 million tax payer dollars to keep him alive, ignoring inflation.

F THAT. This guy deserves to rot in hell. Lets save the cash and speed up his trip to hell.

As for the gun control issue. Sweden has relatively strict gun control laws. That didnt stop that Call of Duty freak from massacring all those kids at summer camp last year. Bad things like that, and todays tragedy, happen, and will continue to happen, regardless of what the gun laws dictate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Turns out he got all his weapons off the internet. Go figure.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ScotsRam said:
I respect your opinions Memento, and as we aren't going to agree, lets agree to disagree. Also the American justice system is nothing to do with me and while I don't always agree with your choices its your prerogative to administer it as you see fit. Hope I haven't stepped on any toes.

I respect your opinions as well, Scot, and I can see where you're coming from. We'll agree to disagree then. You haven't stepped on any toes at all.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The punishment should fit the crime. Witnesses said he showed no emotion during this. He killed little kids. Babies.

I can't stand it when scum like this live. Why should he deserve to live and eat when he had no regard for others' right to life? When it is without a doubt he was the guy, like this case, they need to GTFO. Maybe I'm being a bit barbaric, but that is nothin compared to that guy's thinking and disregard for human life.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Give the guy a fair trial and if he is convicted/confesses take him outside the court house and hang him from a tree or a telephone pole. Let him hang in public view for a few days then bury him in a unmarked grave. If any of the bleeding hearts have a issue putting the noose on his neck I'll be glad to come there and get the job done. Even pay for my own gas and sammiches.

He lost all his basic human rights when he took away everything those poor victims had. All they wanted to do was watch a movie. What about their rights?

IMO till the punishment become so heinous that people can't even watch it there is no real discouragement to these nuts. The glory and publicity must end, only agony for them.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Yamahopper said:
Give the guy a fair trial and if he is convicted/confesses take him outside the court house and hang him from a tree or a telephone pole. Let him hang in public view for a few days then bury him in a unmarked grave. If any of the bleeding hearts have a issue putting the noose on his neck I'll be glad to come there and get the job done. Even pay for my own gas and sammiches.

He lost all his basic human rights when he took away everything those poor victims had. All they wanted to do was watch a movie. What about their rights?

IMO till the punishment become so heinous that people can't even watch it there is no real discouragement to these nuts. The glory and publicity must end, only agony for them.

Call me a savage, but I agree with you.

In cut and dry heinous cases like this, the perpetrator doesn't deserve rights. Ill give him a fair trial, but after he is convicted he should be made an example of. Cruel and unusual things should be done to him. Messed up things

As an addendum. Thats theoretically speaking tho. Realistically Id never support legislation to allow that kind of punishment. Im a huge advocate of preserving rights and liberties. I believe in the sanctity of the 8th amendment. I certainly dont trust our government and judicial system with that type of authority. I wish there could be special circumstances, but there cant be.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Have any of you read Machiavelli's The Prince by any chance?

Yes sir. Remember it was a great book. Need to re read it tho. It's been a decade or so.

BTW I edited My last post. Felt my language may have been a little extreme. So I just tampered it down and removed a line.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
Yamahopper said:

Call me a savage, but I agree with you.

In cut and dry heinous cases like this, the perpetrator doesn't deserve rights. Ill give him a fair trial, but after he is convicted he should be made an example of. Cruel and unusual things should be done to him. Messed up things

As an addendum. Thats theoretically speaking tho. Realistically Id never support legislation to allow that kind of punishment. Im a huge advocate of preserving rights and liberties. I believe in the sanctity of the 8th amendment. I certainly dont trust our government and judicial system with that type of authority. I wish there could be special circumstances, but there cant be.
When the purpose of the crime is to simply win attention over the bodies of innocents, there should be no mercy. I don't advocate cruel punishment. However, there's room for unusual, such as on his execution date getting him all set for the press of the button, the flip of the switch, and then calling it off ... several days in a row.

Yeah. Involuntary russian roulette is messed up.

Angry Ram

Well it the court has been over, and next week he formally gets charged, and after that months to years for the case to be closed. C'mon man.

Also, side note, there was another panic attack at a Pittsburgh theater: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... lp00000003

How pathetic is that? I bet the guy who shouted "gun" was some idiot teenager that thought it would be funny.

Is it that bad where you can't go into a theater to get away from the BS of the real world and have to deal with this shit? I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, but when I saw Avengers, I didn't even think about this, and that was premier day too (but not midnight). Now, I'm not so sure I'm gonna ever see a movie on opening weekend no matter how excited I am for it. It's a sad, sad world we live in.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Well it the court has been over, and next week he formally gets charged, and after that months to years for the case to be closed. C'mon man.

Also, side note, there was another panic attack at a Pittsburgh theater: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... lp00000003

How pathetic is that? I bet the guy who shouted "gun" was some idiot teenager that thought it would be funny.

Is it that bad where you can't go into a theater to get away from the BS of the real world and have to deal with this shit? I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, but when I saw Avengers, I didn't even think about this, and that was premier day too (but not midnight). Now, I'm not so sure I'm gonna ever see a movie on opening weekend no matter how excited I am for it. It's a sad, sad world we live in.

That's so stupid, I don't know why someone would think it's funny to do that. Like yelling bomb on a plane, just grow up.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

That's so stupid, I don't know why someone would think it's funny to do that. Like yelling bomb on a plane, just grow up.

After reading some of the comments on the Pittsburgh-Gazette, it seems like the area that theater was in isn't the best. So its kinda expected.

But man something must be up in the air...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48292930/#.UA4ZnKPvaZt

He didn't do anything, still its mind boggling. That's 3 Batman related cases. WTF indeed.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

After reading some of the comments on the Pittsburgh-Gazette, it seems like the area that theater was in isn't the best. So its kinda expected.

He didn't do anything, still its mind boggling. That's 3 Batman related cases. WTF indeed.

He was going to kill someone else I guess... Still though, what the hell... This is just sad. Can't even enjoy a movie anymore without worrying about some psycho shooting up the place now.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Is it that bad where you can't go into a theater to get away from the BS of the real world and have to deal with this shyte? I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, but when I saw Avengers, I didn't even think about this, and that was premier day too (but not midnight). Now, I'm not so sure I'm gonna ever see a movie on opening weekend no matter how excited I am for it. It's a sad, sad world we live in.

He was going to kill someone else I guess... Still though, what the hell... This is just sad. Can't even enjoy a movie anymore without worrying about some psycho shooting up the place now.

I went and saw the movie Mon. afternoon. Was maybe 25 other people in the theater. I couldn't help wonder as it was about to start at what just part did the shooting start and how unbelievable it was to those poor people. There had to be a disconnect as the events unfolded. sitting there eating popcorn and some nut job starts slinging lead. I dare you to imagine such a thing.

Then I thought of another movie I saw there years ago. The Green Mile. The part where they put the Frenchman in the chair and they don't wet the sponge.
That's what I want for that guy, a electric chair with a Sahara desert dry sponge. I want it on TV. I want it to be shown in schools. I want people to vomit from the sight. I want everyone to see the smoke come out of his eyes as they melt. His skin cooking, elec. arcs jumping finger to finger. No worse way to die than dry electrocution.

26 years ago I saw a co-worker electrocuted by 480 volts.
I saw the sheer terror in every ones faces as they tried to get the power off and the ones holding them back from grabbing him.
If I think about it I can still smell him cook.

Angry Ram

Yamahopper said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Is it that bad where you can't go into a theater to get away from the BS of the real world and have to deal with this shyte? I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, but when I saw Avengers, I didn't even think about this, and that was premier day too (but not midnight). Now, I'm not so sure I'm gonna ever see a movie on opening weekend no matter how excited I am for it. It's a sad, sad world we live in.

I went and saw the movie Mon. afternoon. Was maybe 25 other people in the theater. I couldn't help wonder as it was about to start at what just part did the shooting start and how unbelievable it was to those poor people. There had to be a disconnect as the events unfolded. sitting there eating popcorn and some nut job starts slinging lead. I dare you to imagine such a thing.

Yeah I know what you are talkin about. I saw it earlier today, and the scene @ the begining where they are on the plane was kinda uncomfortable. And everytime someone got up I looked at them, even though they were mothers lol. It's just weird. But then the movie got real good and I became invested in it.