shooting in Aurora, Colorado

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I saw that, really horrible. The guy didn't seem to have any motive other than to shoot a bunch of people, really just pointless.

Shame.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm really interested in the trial (he doesn't even deserve one)...I'm hoping he just won't be declared insane. Tax dollars shouldn't go to keepin this guy alive.

I don't do midnight premiers even before this, but I get the fun of it. Too bad this happened and now all the fun is sucked out of it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I don't get it, just tighten your damn gun laws.

bluecoconuts

Legend
ScotsRam said:

I wish it were that simple. Anytime someone tries organizations scream about it and it doesn't happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
ScotsRam said:

I wish it were that simple. Anytime someone tries organizations scream about it and it doesn't happen.
Yep. And anytime a Presidential Candidate hints that he'll do so, his numbers are directly effected. And besides that, there are already stiff penalties in place for gun violence. Keeping people from shooting each other is what needs to be the focus. Unfortunately, that'll never happen either.

Humans. What're you gonna do?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Man, this guy's tilted. What could this apartment look like with incendiaries, trip-wires and booby traps? What could have happened to this dude's brain to bring all this about? It's really bizarre.
That's the key question.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man, this guy's tilted. What could this apartment look like with incendiaries, trip-wires and booby traps? What could have happened to this dude's brain to bring all this about? It's really bizarre.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Seeing his reasoning in court should be interesting.

As for people being forced to carry... Please no. I don't trust 95% of drivers on the road, I don't want them armed too.... But that sounds very big governmenty :ww:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
ScotsRam said:

You can just about guarantee he didn't legally own the 4 guns he brought to the theater with him. Mentally sound people follow the law when it comes to obtaining guns. Mentally unstable and violent criminals dont.

They'll get their hands on guns no matter what. Gun controls laws wont deter them.

Same basic thing as pot. The government criminalized it and declared war on it. It really didn't deter the use of it.

Assume the gun control laws are tightened up and he didnt get access to the guns he had. The guy still, apparently, knows how the create homemade explosive devices. He was intent on killing innocent people and there wasnt much that could get in his way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Seeing his reasoning in court should be interesting.

As for people being forced to carry... Please no. I don't trust 95% of drivers on the road, I don't want them armed too.... But that sounds very big governmenty :ww:
Agree. You couldn't get me to carry anyway.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope that that evil bastard gets what he deserves, but he'll probably be declared insane and sentenced to life in a mental institution. I have no faith left in our justice system doing the right thing.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Forcing carry? This happened in a movie theater. It was dark, it's after midnight, and no one has a care in the world except about Batman (in this case). Then mass chaos. You really think someone would have the wherewithal to take out a weapon, load, aim, and fire accurately in that situation? This isn't a movie where a hero can have nerves of steel. Humans are pussies by nature, we have no natural defenses (fangs, claws, hornes, strength, etc) and facing death, no one is gonna be able to shoot a guy down in chaos.

Memento said:
I hope that that evil bastard gets what he deserves, but he'll probably be declared insane and sentenced to life in a mental institution. I have no faith left in our justice system doing the right thing.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.

I agree, that was the 1st thing that came to my mind when they caught the guy. What lawyer is gonna defend him? Why would any lawyer? If he gets anything short of the ultimate punishment, THAT would be criminal.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I love it. Let any idiot carry a weapon, then if he flips out and kills 15 people we'll give him the "ultimate punishment". Best country in the world my ass.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ScotsRam said:
I love it. Let any idiot carry a weapon, then if he flips out and kills 15 people we'll give him the "ultimate punishment". Best country in the world my ass.

Nobody here is saying we're the best, Scot. But this guy is a psychopath who murdered twelve people in cold blood, injured over fifty others, and put many other people - including babies - at risk. You'd rather him stay in a comfy cell or a hospital ward where the rest of us have to pay to keep him alive?

And we don't let any person carry a weapon. There are extremely strict requirements to purchase a gun legally. Unfortunately, there are a lot of illegal weapons that are being sold into the U.S., and the criminals get their guns from those suppliers. This is not an isolated problem. This is not just the United States. This is all over the world, and believe it or not, there are quite a few places that are far worse off than we are.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:

Nobody here is saying we're the best, Scot. But this guy is a psychopath who murdered twelve people in cold blood, injured over fifty others, and put many other people - including babies - at risk. You'd rather him stay in a comfy cell or a hospital ward where the rest of us have to pay to keep him alive?

And we don't let any person carry a weapon. There are extremely strict requirements to purchase a gun legally. Unfortunately, there are a lot of illegal weapons that are being sold into the U.S., and the criminals get their guns from those suppliers. This is not an isolated problem. This is not just the United States. This is all over the world, and believe it or not, there are quite a few places that are far worse off than we are.

The death penalty is fundamentally wrong. It's primitive, vengeful, vindictive, eye for an eye type stuff. What gives anyone the right to take another's life? Just because you've been voted into government doesn't give you the right to execute, IMHO. Killing as a punishment is the equal of the original crime, stooping to their level, call it what you will. Forcing someone to spend the remainder of their life behind bars with no hope of release and allowing them the opportunity to develop some real remorse is a far more painful punishment for the criminal, and the fact that the US is one of the very few "1st world" countries that still practices the death penalty vindicates this IMO. The UK stopped the death penalty in 1963 and it was abhorrent then as well.

The US has relatively lax gun laws, and it's fundamentally because of your constitution (god forbid changing laws set down 300 years ago) and partly because of your disgusting gun lobbyists. You all seem to claim you're much safer with having weapons for home defence, well if nobody had guns you wouldn't need to defend yourselves. I respect your country in a huge number of ways, and all Americans I've had the pleasure of meeting have been great people, but your gun laws/attitudes to weapons/capital punishment obsession are frankly draconian.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:

The death penalty is fundamentally wrong. It's primitive, vengeful, vindictive, eye for an eye type stuff. What gives anyone the right to take another's life? Just because you've been voted into government doesn't give you the right to execute, IMHO. Killing as a punishment is the equal of the original crime, stooping to their level, call it what you will. Forcing someone to spend the remainder of their life behind bars with no hope of release and allowing them the opportunity to develop some real remorse is a far more painful punishment for the criminal, and the fact that the US is one of the very few "1st world" countries that still practices the death penalty vindicates this IMO. The UK stopped the death penalty in 1963 and it was abhorrent then as well.

The US has relatively lax gun laws, and it's fundamentally because of your constitution (god forbid changing laws set down 300 years ago) and partly because of your disgusting gun lobbyists. You all seem to claim you're much safer with having weapons for home defence, well if nobody had guns you wouldn't need to defend yourselves. I respect your country in a huge number of ways, and all Americans I've had the pleasure of meeting have been great people, but your gun laws/attitudes to weapons/capital punishment obsession are frankly draconian.

I have to disagree with ya Scot. Just back from London in May. 40+ stabbing deaths to date this year and that was just teenagers. Evil people will kill with whatever is available. The US would of been invaded in WWII were it not for our 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Many of those 300 year old laws are amazingly timeless mainly due to the fact that they were rooted in what was and still is right with the human condition.

I'm all for putting this guy away for life but I don't agree on spending one dime for it. Lock him up, throw away the key. No need for food, lights, guards, etc. Let nature take its course from there.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ramhusker said:
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:

I have to disagree with ya Scot. Just back from London in May. 40+ stabbing deaths to date this year and that was just teenagers. Evil people will kill with whatever is available. The US would of been invaded in WWII were it not for our 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Many of those 300 year old laws are amazingly timeless mainly due to the fact that they were rooted in what was and still is right with the human condition.

I'm all for putting this guy away for life but I don't agree on spending one dime for it. Lock him up, throw away the key. No need for food, lights, guards, etc. Let nature take its course from there.

I agree with you Husker in that evil people will kill with whatever they can, however the stabbing comparison, whilst still shocking, is a little off. If this guy in Colorado had only a knife, do you think he would have been able to kill 15 and injure 50 before he was stopped? It's not the same thing. Also London crime is largely gang related (as I'm sure much US crime is), in reality the UK sees very little "random" violence. I appreciate that the population of the US is much greater and so by definition you will see much more crime... but you seem to have your priorities wrong. A justice system based on vengeance is never going to solve the violence- it'll just make you feel better about it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
ScotsRam said:
Memento said:
ScotsRam said:

Ehhhhh, it was more complicated that than. I agree that the US wouldn't be a fun country to invade due to so many people having weapons, but that wouldn't have stopped the Japanese or Germans if they were easily able to get to the US. Because of the oceans that need to be crossed to land on our beaches, opposing nations didn't want to invade because the logistics for getting a sizable force to be able to take and hold ground was more than they could handle. They're not afraid to match up tanks to civilians with guns, just like we aren't.

Agree with cheapening the cost of jail though. We spend so much money on so many prisoners, many of them sitting in jail or life, or on death row for 30 years, it's just a huge waste of money.

I also think we need to figure out a better system than to lock people up forever. I don't agree with totally abolishing the death penalty, because sometimes people just really can't be around anymore. For example, Anders Breivik (the Norwegian gunman who killed all those kids last year) shouldn't be living in up in a very nice prison, however we should be less focused on punishment for prisoners and more on educating them and helping them become better citizens. Right now our jail system can take harmless criminals and turn them into much worse. It's a shame that so many people in the United States will dismiss anything that they see as too "European" (different views on gun control, jails, etc) simply because they're afraid of being like Europe. Which is a stupid fear in itself.

It's a complex issue really, I could go into a lot of depth, but I wont here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm only half-joking here, but how many movies do we need to see where prisoners are dropped off on a deserted island somewhere in the middle of nowhere to fend for themselves BEFORE we realize it's not such a bad concept? I mean ... think about it.