Sherman's Mmbq Article

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
In This Corner
By Richard Sherman

What a night, and what a finish.
Near midnight I still had about 70 unread text messages from friends and family, most of which read, “Best interview ever!” Many of my Twitter mentions were less supportive. My body ached. I was thrilled and proud and upset, all at once.
Here’s what happened …
I spent most of the game on an island: I was targeted only twice during the entire NFC Championship. The first produced a BS holding call against me; the second ended the game. Michael Crabtree stutter-stepped out of his break on first down and sprinted toward the end zone. I was in good position for a pick until he pushed me in the back. My interception became a tip and an interception for Malcolm Smith in the end zone.
Game over. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl.
I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.
I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that.

Erin Andrews interviewed me after the game and I yelled what was obvious: If you put a subpar player across from a great one, most of the time you’re going to get one result. As far as Crabtree being a top-20 NFL receiver, you’d have a hard time making that argument to me. There are a lot of receivers playing good ball out there, and Josh Gordon needed 14 games to produce almost double what Crabtree can do in a full season. And Gordon had Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell playing quarterback.

But that’s not why I don’t like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you’d have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.
It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.
But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.

One thing I can’t accept is what I read after the game about Seahawks fans throwing food at 49ers linebacker Navorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field with his knee injury. If it’s true, it’s beyond terrible. That’s as low as it gets. I’m sure whoever did this is in a small minority of fans, because I don’t think that kind of action is an accurate representation of the character of the 12th man. Navorro Bowman is a great player who plays the game the right way. When he went down, I dropped to a knee and prayed for him. He deserves better than having food thrown at him as he’s carted off a field. All players deserve better than that.

So here we are, in the Super Bowl. New York-bound. There will be a lot of talking, but at this point, after 18 games, there’s nothing left to say. We have the right mindset, and nothing can change that. We’ve treated every week like a championship opportunity and we’ll obviously continue to think that way. We deserve to be here. We didn’t sneak into the Super Bowl; we earned our way. Now every goal we set forth at the beginning of the season is in front of us.

The Broncos stand in our way, and it’s a large obstacle. They’ve got the smartest quarterback in football and receivers who are large (mostly), explosive with the football and run great routes. Wes Welker is quick and elusive, Eric Decker is a great receiver with hands and speed, and Demaryius Thomas is as strong as they come. And Peyton knows how to get each of them in spots.
It’s the No. 1 offense vs. the No. 1 defense. It’s a match made in heaven, and we couldn’t be more excited. If you’re any kind of competitor and you have any kind of dog about you, you want to play against the best. Finally, we get the opportunity.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If he wrote that himself then I'm a spaceman.

Alan

Legend
ScotsRam posting from the space station:
If he wrote that himself then I'm a spaceman.
Ground control to Major ScotsRam.

He has a masters degree in communication.
Sherman reports a 3.9 GPA/990 SAT/1060 retake.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If that clown pulled off a 3.9 at Stanford after only scoring 1060 on the SAT he either doesn't test well or had some fantastic tutors.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If that clown pulled off a 3.9 at Stanford after only scoring 1060 on the SAT he either doesn't test well or had some fantastic tutors.

Make no mistake about it, Sherman is well educated and very articulate. Not the nicest guy post game, but he got into Stanford and they don't let dumb guys in even if they are football stars. He is highly intelligent.

Which is not unusual in your garden variety egotistical sociopaths.

V3

Hall of Fame

Yeah, something's fishy there. My cousin went to Stanford and her SAT's were WAY higher. Most students that go there have a composite SAT score over 2100. 1060 is NOT good. Did they change the scoring system or something?

V3

Hall of Fame
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/f/goodsatscore.htm
Average SAT score:
Stanford

• Critical Reading: 680 - 780
  • Mathematics: 700 - 790
  • Writing: 700 - 780
NCAA minimum is 800.

He scored a 24 on his Wonderlic.

Keep in mind that he has a MASTERS in communication and not a Bachelors degree. While maintaining a 3.9 GPA. Can many of you guys say the same thing?

800 is perfect on each component so that rules out his 1060 only being from one part of the test which means that it was his composite score. Either that wasn't his score or something is not right there. 1060 is not good enough for Standford.

A55VA6

Legend
He may be selfish, not classy, a punk, whatever you want to call him.. but he's damn smart and very talented. A guy from Compton going to Stanford, getting a 3.9 GPA, becoming a star in the NFL, and has a charity to ensure kids have clothes and school supplies? He's not half as bad as you think.

You can hate Richard Sherman the football player, but the guy off the field... seems like a pretty good guy.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I will say I have been critical of him. But if this is him than I will take back some of what I said. I still think regardless of emotion he was out of line. But we all make mistakes.
I would still love to have him. As far as FOOTBALL goes he's a great player. It would seem he's a decent guy also.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He may be selfish, not classy, a punk, whatever you want to call him.. but he's damn smart and very talented. A guy from Compton going to Stanford, getting a 3.9 GPA, becoming a star in the NFL, and has a charity to ensure kids have clothes and school supplies? He's not half as bad as you think.

You can hate Richard Sherman the football player, but the guy off the field... seems like a pretty good guy.

VAG he is a jerk, a very intelligent one but yeah he's still a jerk on the field and he has admitted he acted badly.

Off the field I don't give a shit anyway. Plenty of humans do good things, so big deal.

A55VA6

Legend
VAG he is a jerk, a very intelligent one but yeah he's still a jerk on the field and he has admitted he acted badly.

Off the field I don't give a shyte anyway. Plenty of humans do good things, so big deal.
Yeah I agree with you. I mean everyone has good and bad moments. He's just got more moments that piss people off.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah I agree with you. I mean everyone has good and bad moments. He's just got more moments that piss people off.

He strikes me as one of those people that thinks everyone but him is a fool and is stupid.

I like calling you VAG.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he is a good cover guy but not that great in run support, it may be their scheme but I still want to see my defensive guys playing run and pass. As far as getting in to Stanford that is an accomplishment in itself, whether or not he had help because of his football abilities who knows. It seems player students get a lot of help because of the money they bring in to the universities. I have heard he does some nice things in the community as we all should to our abilities.

All of those things do not excuse him for what he pulled at the end of that game. I really don't ever remember an opposing player going after a guy like he did trying to "congratulate" the other player before the end of the game. It was not genuine, it was just trying to show Crabtree up. And then his rant when Andrews "interviewed" him, a selfish me first guy that took away from a good team win to promote himself and his 1 play.

Last thing if he thought that was a BS holding call he should have been getting Jenkins treatment all year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/f/goodsatscore.htm
Average SAT score:
Stanford

• Critical Reading: 680 - 780
  • Mathematics: 700 - 790
  • Writing: 700 - 780
NCAA minimum is 800.

He scored a 24 on his Wonderlic.

Keep in mind that he has a MASTERS in communication and not a Bachelors degree. While maintaining a 3.9 GPA. Can many of you guys say the same thing?

I'm working toward a Master's in Environmental Science, specializing in environmental management. Haven't graduated yet (end of the year), but my cumulative GPA to date is 3.7.

It's not about grades and what letter he gets on a piece of paper.

It's about how he handles himself. The NFL is full of dumb players but I've never seen one that is so damn adamant about screaming to the world how he's the best at his position.