Seven Takeaways from the Rams 31-28 loss @ Detroit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Seven Takeaways from the Rams 31-28 loss @ Detroit
227364_19412dc5d41148a99c474a847eb37568~mv2_d_2679_1773_s_2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2016/10/17/Seven-Takeaways-from-the-Rams-31-28-loss-Detroit

The Rams lost a heart-breaker in week six to drop to 3-3 on the young season. With ten games left to go, the Rams desperately need a win in London next week versus the N.Y. Giants. However, lets get right into my takeaways from the Rams loss to the Lions.
Case Keenum might have sealed his starting job for the rest of the year
What can I say? I feel bad how hard I was on poor Case Keenum. He was absolutely incredible! Keenum looked like he was back at Houston when he shattered passing records back in college. Keenum finished with 27/32, 321 passing yards, three touchdowns including another touchdown he added via the ground. Keenum was part of one of the most impressive offensive performances I've seen in a long time. Unfortunately however, all good things must come to an end. Keenum won't be remembered for his record breaking 19 straight completions or his four total touchdowns or his over 300 yard game or even the fact he had an adjusted completion percentage of 90 which would have broke Kurt Warner's record. No, instead Keenum will be remembered for throwing the interception that costed the Rams the game in the late going.
I have not been on the Keenum train like some but I will say now how extremely unfair it is to get on Keenum and say he lost the Rams the game. No, when you score 28 points and Keenum is responsible for every point on the board besides the four extra points. You have to bite the bullet and look for someone else to blame it on because Keenum certainly doesn't deserve the blame. Bad pass? Absolutely! However, he was incredible, and if he continues to play like this the Rams could be on their way to a big season (assuming the defense learns how to stop an offense).
The fourth-and-goal play call was spot on, Gurley just didn't execute it
Another thing I've seen a lot of is that the Offensive line blew a chance at a touchdown for Todd Gurley. Hold on a second! For the record Gurley completely ran the wrong way. I am not a Gurley "hater" by any means as he is one of my favorites to watch but, he is struggling mightily and he often misses holes. In this play he completely ran into the stone wall of Lions waiting for him on the right side. Why? Well for starters the Lions had the right side overloaded and the Rams actually combated that well or rather Offensive coordinator Rob Boras combated it well. Boras called a ballsy run play to the left with RG Jamon Brown executing a pull block to guide Gurley into the end zone.
Everything went completely according to plan but clearly Gurley wasn't aware of what to do and he completely missed the pull Brown had set. It wasn't the O-line who would have had him in the end zone had he run to the left side. No, it was Gurley failing to either understand the play or read his blocks.

227364_2e85cfaca1aa495fb7763d831279fb69~mv2.jpg

You can see above Gurley has already decided to try to truck through the wall the Lions created on the right however, on the left side had he cut it like he was supposed to FB Cory Harkey who was the lead blocker seals off the right side you can see RG Jamon Brown right to the left of Gurley fulfilling is obligation as the pull blocker and Gurley is 100 percent supposed to follow Brown for an easy touchdown.
Kenny Britt is a number one WR
I have been saying it awhile now, Kenny Britt is extremely talented and is in for a great year with the Rams. He is by far the best WR on the roster and it's not even close. What Britt can do is fantastic. The way Britt is able to box out corners, high point the ball, beat anyone off the line and have sure hands makes him the absolute best on the Rams. Britt has developed a serious connection with QB Case Keenum and it could only mean that Britt is in for a possible Pro Bowl type season.
Britt finished with seven catches on eight targets that went for 136 yards (the first 100+ yard receiving game since Kenny Britt did it week three versus Pittsburgh last year). Britt also added two touchdowns to that impressive box score. Britt has now tallied 492 yards receiving going into week seven which he only had 224 last year through the first six games. Britt is on a tear and if Boras continues this play-calling and Keenum continues this kind of passing Britt could turn in a career year in L.A.
OC Rob Boras needs to keep up his surprisingly creative play-calling
I and I'm sure the rest of the Rams faithful were confused when they saw a Rams offense led by Case Keenum marching down the field at will completing long and awe-inspiring drives. Three out of all four scoring drives were ten plays or more which is impressive. For awhile now it seemed the Rams couldn't keep a drive going and would throw the defense back on the field almost instantaneously. This game was a complete flip-flop. Rob Boras absolutely out-coached defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for the Rams and it became noticeable when the defense was unable to hold the Lions under 28 points causing the Rams to lose.
I have been calling for new Passing game coordinator Mike Groh to get more involved with the play-calling and whether he did or didn't if Boras calls this type of offense the rest of the year the Rams might actually end up finishing among top-15 in total offense.
The Rams miss Trumaine Johnson & Robert Quinn a lot
If it wasn't obvious watching Troy Hill consistently get burned and the Rams failing to force the big turnover on the edge. The Rams miss Johnson and Quinn and it's staggering. Quinn almost seems to guarantee the big strip sack late in the game with the way he gets off the edge and Johnson's 6-foot-2 size and his ability to play physical is clearly being missed. Johnson absolutely dominated Calvin Johnson last year versus the Lions and probably would have done the same but instead probably would have picked off Stafford.
Hopefully Johnson comes back after the bye and Quinn comes back next week because it's about to get tough at 3-3 and if the Rams continue to be unable to create turnovers.
DC Gregg Williams needs to tone down his defensive aggression
While the injuries have been a key loss to this defense, the one thing that continues to destroy this defense? This defense. That's right Williams play-calling is becoming reckless and quite honestly stupid. Anyone with any knowledge of football knows that if you blitz someone and he doesn't get through to break up the pass, then you are looking at an open guy somewhere on the field. Stafford is too good of a QB to fall for that.
Seriously though, Williams high octane defense is ruining the elite defensive front. Watch a Rams game and you will see Williams showing blitz from Safeties and CB's alike. Well occasionally blitzes can stunt a drive and really screw up a QB's timing if done on occasion of course. However, Williams doesn't do them on occasion. His reckless blitzing is starting to make it too easy for offenses to game plan around it. Now instead of the defensive line getting pressure the QBs and OC sees the blitz every play and thus only has to call quick slants and dump offs to take advantage of an over-pursuing defense. It needs to stop because the ultra-aggressive play-calling is leading to allowing long tiresome drives and neutralizing the best part about the Rams, the defensive line. Here are Williams blitzing stats per Pro Football Focus and how they stack up against the entire league.
LB Alec Ogletree 42 blitzes, 8th out of all LB's in the NFL (efficiency rating of 60.0 which is 31st ovr)
LB Mark Barron 47 blitzes, 4th out of all LB's in the NFL (efficiency rating of 46.6 which is 63rd ovr)
CB LaMarcus Joyner, 14 blitzes, 1st out of all CB's in the NFL (efficiency rating of 61.2 which is 13th ovr)
S T.J. McDonald 40 blitzes, 1st out of all S's in the NFL (efficiency rating of 51.9 which is 17th ovr)
S Mo Alexander 30 blitzes, 2nd out of all S's in the NFL (efficiency rating of 69.2 which is 3rd ovr)
There it is guys, Williams is too aggressive and the proof is right above.
The referees need to be consistent with their flags
This is starting to get ridiculous to be honest. I get that refs aren't perfect but bear in mind the flag they called on Mo Alexander was ludicrous. Third-and-12 at the L.A. 48-yard line the Rams get a stop and the Lions would have ultimately had to punt even down 28-21. However, the referee threw the flag for Alexander's pass breakup on WR Marvin Jones, calling it to be pass interference. That ended up aiding their drive and carried them into the end zone for the game-tying touchdown.

227364_89d21a9fe0ba40cba457dc5b05472ac1~mv2.jpg

Later on a 3rd-and-five play at the L.A. 35-yard line with just over five minutes to play and CB Darius Slay is all over Kenny Britt but the refs don't call it and it forces the Rams to punt and ultimately give up a field-goal to lose the game.

227364_19debabfef624b568458e5e6f8657c43~mv2.jpg

Obviously if it wasn't realized before, the Rams need to knock off the N.Y. Giants this Sunday in London cause a 3-game losing streak and 3-4 isn't going to be good for their playoff hopes.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Actually the call on Alexander is legit because he turned Jones with his off hand before the ball got there.

I agree with that laundry should have been dropped on the pass to Britt as well.

In the first drive of the game the stripes missed an illegal chop block delivered to Donald, a false start, and blatant offensive PI on the touchdown to Jones.

While we can't blame the referees for this loss, I agree they should be consistent with calls.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually the call on Alexander is legit because he turned Jones with his off hand before the ball got there.

I agree with that laundry should have been dropped on the pass to Britt as well.

In the first drive of the game the stripes missed an illegal chop block delivered to Donald, a false start, and blatant offensive PI on the touchdown to Jones.

While we can't blame the referees for this loss, I agree they should be consistent with calls.
While I could understand the Alexander call a little bit still that was blatantly giving them a first down they didn't deserve and not throwing it on Slay when he was holding Britt was a joke. I forgot the Seahawks are the only team that gets the no calls when they are literally pass interfering...

fearsomefour

Legend
I would like to see some Malcolm Brown rotated in at RB. He will take what is there, not try to bounce stuff and get 5 yards.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good article.

The offense looked great. Keenum looked great, except for the int. He was looking at his target from the snap. Can't do that especially when it is duo left coverage. Otherwise he was masterful with his touch and accuracy. Lock him up.

Britt finally looks like a number 1 receiver, after all these years. Quick looks good too. I was hard on him early this year.

The defense looked good for the most part. They were rocking it for 3/4 of their plays, but always did just enough to keep the opponent pushing down the field.

The play at 10:37 in the 4th quarter by Donald was incredible. He grabs Forsett from behind and completely stops his momentum, lifts him up and throws him back. That was superhero shit right there.

If the refs call a better game the Rams win, but the real culprit was the defensive breakdowns and as the author States, Williams calling too many blitzes.

I would still like to see a little of the rookies, like Spruce and Cooper. Forrest is coming along nicely. He is getting g more and more comfortable in the defense.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good article.

The offense looked great. Keenum looked great, except for the int. He was looking at his target from the snap. Can't do that especially when it is duo left coverage. Otherwise he was masterful with his touch and accuracy. Lock him up.

Britt finally looks like a number 1 receiver, after all these years. Quick looks good too. I was hard on him early this year.

The defense looked good for the most part. They were rocking it for 3/4 of their plays, but always did just enough to keep the opponent pushing down the field.

The play at 10:37 in the 4th quarter by Donald was incredible. He grabs Forsett from behind and completely stops his momentum, lifts him up and throws him back. That was superhero crap right there.

If the refs call a better game the Rams win, but the real culprit was the defensive breakdowns and as the author States, Williams calling too many blitzes.

I would still like to see a little of the rookies, like Spruce and Cooper. Forrest is coming along nicely. He is getting g more and more comfortable in the defense.
Thank you! I hope Boras and Keenum continue this play and hoping Williams stops his reckless playcalling

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I would like to see some Malcolm Brown rotated in at RB. He will take what is there, not try to bounce stuff and get 5 yards.
He runs too well to not get one carry a game. Honestly they are over-feeding Gurley. It's time to let others get in on the action

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
Gurley wtf................Trent Richardson vision. F our lives

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You can see above Gurley has already decided to try to truck through the wall the Lions created on the right however, on the left side had he cut it like he was supposed to FB Cory Harkey who was the lead blocker seals off the right side you can see RG Jamon Brown right to the left of Gurley fulfilling is obligation as the pull blocker and Gurley is 100 percent supposed to follow Brown for an easy touchdown.
Good catch. I was watching that replay earlier, and that's why we pay Harkey.
ISO, ISO, ISO, ISO, ISO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Enjoyed the read on this one and the view of the blown 4th and goal, I did not get to see it.

I thought the PI on Alexander could have been an uncatchable ball too bu this clearly shows he got his hands on it. I thought Alexander should have been lining him up for a big hit and if nothing else drive him out of bounds.

Moving on they have some talent have got to get players on the field. Time for guys to step up and play every week if it not broke get out there.

fearsomefour

Legend
He runs too well to not get one carry a game. Honestly they are over-feeding Gurley. It's time to let others get in on the action
I like Brown better than Benny as a runner.....Benny does some things very well but Brown fits that power running model much better.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good catch. I was watching that replay earlier, and that's why we pay Harkey.
ISO, ISO, ISO, ISO, ISO.
Thank you! That is exactly why we pay Harkey, he does his job and is rated the seventh overall fullback per PFF. Harkey sealed off that side and Brown had Gurley with a paved road to paydirt.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I like Brown better than Benny as a runner.....Benny does some things very well but Brown fits that power running model much better.
Brown looks like Steven Jackson I can't stop seeing the comparison

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Enjoyed the read on this one and the view of the blown 4th and goal, I did not get to see it.

I thought the PI on Alexander could have been an uncatchable ball too bu this clearly shows he got his hands on it. I thought Alexander should have been lining him up for a big hit and if nothing else drive him out of bounds.

Moving on they have some talent have got to get players on the field. Time for guys to step up and play every week if it not broke get out there.
Thank you! Yeah I was surprised that Cooper, Spruce and Quinn were inactive.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thank you! That is exactly why we pay Harkey, he does his job and is rated the seventh overall fullback per PFF. Harkey sealed off that side and Brown had Gurley with a paved road to paydirt.
You bet.

I'm not a real big fan of PFF as an evaluation tool, though. I think it works best as a companion to your own eyes. Even those guys (Sam, Neil, Khaled) will tell you that their evals and grades are based on limited knowledge of the play design. But they do put together a lot of useful information. It doesn't surprise me that Harkey would be rated fairly high. The fullback is a dying breed anyway, and Harkey is a very versatile and fundamentally sound player.

Now. All that said? I did not care for the play at all. Pulling a guard down there doesn't give you much room for error in that situation. The entire defense is on the LOS, so it basically comes down to a match of strength. And nothing about our O-line screamed 'strength' to me up to that point. Would have much rather seen a spread out offense (to get more defenders off the line), and then pick your poison. But, it is what it is. It does seem as though it would have worked if Gurley made the right read.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Great article and fun to read. Gurley doesn't look very good this year and it's concerning. I understand he's only a 2nd year back but there are signs of regression. I never expected this type of drop off from him.

Also, that was the best performance I've seen a Rams QB have in a long time. The most recent ones I can think of are Foles vs Seattle last year, Bradford vs Denver in 2010 and Bulger vs the Saints in 2007. Everything was on the money up until the INT. And if the defense just makes a play or two(ZERO TURNOVERS IN THE LAST TWO GAMES!), then we don't think twice about continuing to start him. Of course at this point, I don't see a reason not to start Goff. 3-3 and no signs of trending up.

All in all, we need Quinn and Johnson. They do so much for this defense. Donald can't do it all by himself.