"Seattle mailed it in today against the Rams"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At home? That's a new one. I guess they'll mail it in next week when ARZ waxes them and in the Playoffs, too.
Don't you just "LOVE" the idea of the 'Hags going into the Play-Offs on a two game Losing Streak!!:rolllaugh:

Debacled

Starter
There's a "surefire" QB prospect maybe once every 10 years. They're rare. Cam Newton wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Blake Bortles wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Derek Carr wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Aaron Rodgers wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. But if all those teams had let that stop them, they would have been far worse off than they are now.

You want to win a Super Bowl? You have to take risks. Because no matter how people try to rationalize it, Case Keenum isn't Russell Wilson. He isn't Tom Brady. He isn't Aaron Rodgers. Hell, he isn't even Jay Cutler or Matt Stafford. And the most important position in football is the QB position. You don't stick with a guy as a starter if you know he's not a franchise QB.

So yes, I'll take my chances. Because I am sick and tired of losing. We've endured a decade of this crap. Why? Because we haven't had a franchise QB.(well, that's a big part of it...but there are other reasons...it is a team game after all) The last time we had anything resembling a franchise QB was 2006. Will a QB fix every problem? No. But the thing is that we don't have many problems at this point. We need to upgrade a few spots on offense and retain our talent on defense. But we have a team that is ready to contend. We need a freaking QB.

This draft is not weak at the QB position. It seems to me that people consider any draft without an Andrew Luck level QB prospect to be weak. This draft has a lot of QB depth at the top which means we'll likely be able to get a QB without breaking the bank. Unless Goff or Lynch falls, that means Connor Cook or Carson Wentz. At the moment, I think Connor Cook is a better fit for us. Will Connor Cook be a franchise QB? There's no guarantee of that. But I've watched the majority of the games he's played and I can say that I believe he'll be a quality NFL QB.

Take a look at the Jaguars, here's where they ranked in points per game over the past 5 years:
2011 - 28th
2012 - 30th
2013 - 32nd
2014 - 32nd
2015 - 10th

What did the Jaguars do? They brought in Blake Bortles to be their franchise QB and revamped their weapons in the passing game (Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Julius Thomas were major additions). Bortles struggled as a rookie in 2014 but has come out in 2015 and put up 4499 total yards and 37 total TDs to 20 TOs. In the process, he has the Jaguars in the top 10 in points per game...a feat they haven't accomplished since 2007. And a lot of people thought Bortles was a bad pick. A lot of people claimed he was a bust after his rookie year. Not looking like such a bust right now.

Bortles was also a very raw QB. I loved the kid and my opinion of him as a prospect was that he should not play as a rookie. He did play and he struggled. But he worked hard, progressed, and has had a great second year.(unfortunately for him, the Jaguars defense is terrible)

We all love this team. We all want what's best for this team. We all know our defense is a top 10 unit at worst.(when healthy, I think it's a top 5 unit at worst) What we also know is that our offensive unit is one of the worst in football. How do you fix that? By doing what the Jaguars did...aggressively revamping it. We need to aggressively pursue receiving options this off-season and we need to aggressively pursue a QB. Because despite all the support Keenum is receiving, what has he done to elevate the offense? Yes, he had a great game against Tampa. But in his other three starts, our offense was no different than it was under Foles...except Keenum didn't turn it over as much. Some will say that's good enough. I say that it is not. I don't want a team that is completely reliant on the defense to shoulder the burden. We can and should build up our offense to match our defense. Because a balanced team will be far better than a one-dimensional team.

The QB class this year is ok, not great, and no....the Rams likely will not have their pick of the Lions share. Assuming they go 8-8 they'll be picking in the mid to late teens, any QB worth his salt will likely be gone by then unless there are standing red flags that will be a cause for concern.

They need to do something though, as the 2017 class is looking even weaker. Bottom line is I am not willing to say any rookie QB will be able to unseat Keenum from starting (and thats not me calling Keenum great, just that a rookie won't be good enough to do so).

Infact the Bortles comparison is a good one. Picked 3rd overall and yes that offense has improved. But, they are still sitting at 5-10 in the lackluster AFC south. Points scored/offense are good indicators of an improving team sure, but the teams record is a better one. And the Rams still will not be finding a player of his caliber, at least one ready to start right out of the gate, where they will be picking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The QB class this year is ok, not great, and no....the Rams likely will not have their pick of the Lions share. Assuming they go 8-8 they'll be picking in the mid to late teens, any QB worth his salt will likely be gone by then unless there are standing red flags that will be a cause for concern.

Which is why you trade up for your guy.

They need to do something though, as the 2017 class is looking even weaker. Bottom line is I am not willing to say any rookie QB will be able to unseat Keenum from starting (and thats not me calling Keenum great, just that a rookie won't be good enough to do so).

I think the top 3 QBs in this draft would all start over Keenum as rookies. If not week 1, early on.

Infact the Bortles comparison is a good one. Picked 3rd overall and yes that offense has improved. But, they are still sitting at 5-10 in the lackluster AFC south. Points scored/offense are good indicators of an improving team sure, but the teams record is a better one. And the Rams still will not be finding a player of his caliber, at least one ready to start right out of the gate, where they will be picking.

Team record is an indicator of the TEAM improving, not the offense. Blake Bortles doesn't play defense.

We have no issues playing defense. We need an offense. I think you missed the point here. Our offense can become a top unit. It can get turned around very quickly. The Jaguars turned around an offense that was just as bad or even worse. But you gotta take some risks to do so.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cmon Jrry, I get what you are saying but I think you are short-changing Keenum. There are plenty of things Keenum is doing that Foles didn't beyond pick 6s. Let's be honest. Did Foles EVER get the ball out quick? Did he ever show that he could read the field? Did he ever once show the ability to hit a guy in stride this year?

Rarely. But Keenum still not elevating the offense.

I get it, you want a playmaker at QB.
I just want a guy who can play Quarterback. Now. To start the season. Not a rookie who has to learn for awhile. If you think we can find that guy, great, but I'm not convinced. I would rather get an elite WR and go with Keenum than to try to find a rookie who can make lemonade with Britt and Quick.

I'd rather go get both. Or get a good WR and a QB.

I'll take the bumps in the road of a rookie QB. You look at the games we won this year with our QB play, I think we can win games next year with an inconsistent rookie passer. Look at the rookie QBs that started at least 12 games since 2010 (Bradford):
http://pfref.com/tiny/tjT7K

We'd have been in the playoffs with 11 of those 16 rookie performances. And two of the guys that wouldn't have had us in the playoffs as rookies (Bortles and Tannehill) would have had us in the playoffs their second year.

It's absolutely worth it.

I'm all for getting one too. But no need to go out of your way to shortchange what CK is doing.

I'll take a small guy who can play the position over a fast guy or big guy or a combination of the two that may or may not have the right stuff upstairs to win games in the NFL.
How are you so sure that Keenum has no upside? Why can't he be a Drew Brees?

I'm not shortchanging what he's doing. I'm being realistic about what he's doing.

Why can't he be Drew Brees? Because he's not Drew Brees. That's like signing a bunch of QBs off the street with the plan to play them next year because why can't they be Kurt Warner?

You're hoping for one in a million. Maybe he is Drew Brees. But there are TREMENDOUS odds against that happening...and from what I've seen, he's not Drew Brees. I'd rather take my chances on a first round rookie.

No, I don't want to ignore the position. Yes I want another guy in the mix. But next year when week 1 rolls around, I want the best QB we can find to win that game. I'm not convinced that person won't be Case.

I'm not as convinced that it won't be him...but I'm also not convinced that we want it to be him and I'm not convinced that it will be him after the first few weeks if we draft the right QB.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I'll take the bumps in the road of a rookie QB. You look at the games we won this year with our QB play, I think we can win games next year with an inconsistent rookie passer. Look at the rookie QBs that started at least 12 games since 2010 (Bradford):

We'd have been in the playoffs with 11 of those 16 rookie performances. And two of the guys that wouldn't have had us in the playoffs as rookies (Bortles and Tannehill) would have had us in the playoffs their second year.

I'm not shortchanging what he's doing. I'm being realistic about what he's doing.

Why can't he be Drew Brees? Because he's not Drew Brees. That's like signing a bunch of QBs off the street with the plan to play them next year because why can't they be Kurt Warner?

You're hoping for one in a million. Maybe he is Drew Brees. But there are TREMENDOUS odds against that happening...and from what I've seen, he's not Drew Brees. I'd rather take my chances on a first round rookie.

I'm not as convinced that it won't be him...but I'm also not convinced that we want it to be him and I'm not convinced that it will be him after the first few weeks if we draft the right QB.

Fair points, thanks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

did they mail it in like wittle wussell airmailed in that game winning interception to the patriots db in the superbowl?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There's a "surefire" QB prospect maybe once every 10 years. They're rare. Cam Newton wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Blake Bortles wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Derek Carr wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. Aaron Rodgers wasn't considered a surefire QB prospect. But if all those teams had let that stop them, they would have been far worse off than they are now.

You want to win a Super Bowl? You have to take risks. Because no matter how people try to rationalize it, Case Keenum isn't Russell Wilson. He isn't Tom Brady. He isn't Aaron Rodgers. Hell, he isn't even Jay Cutler or Matt Stafford. And the most important position in football is the QB position. You don't stick with a guy as a starter if you know he's not a franchise QB.

So yes, I'll take my chances. Because I am sick and tired of losing. We've endured a decade of this crap. Why? Because we haven't had a franchise QB.(well, that's a big part of it...but there are other reasons...it is a team game after all) The last time we had anything resembling a franchise QB was 2006. Will a QB fix every problem? No. But the thing is that we don't have many problems at this point. We need to upgrade a few spots on offense and retain our talent on defense. But we have a team that is ready to contend. We need a freaking QB.

This draft is not weak at the QB position. It seems to me that people consider any draft without an Andrew Luck level QB prospect to be weak. This draft has a lot of QB depth at the top which means we'll likely be able to get a QB without breaking the bank. Unless Goff or Lynch falls, that means Connor Cook or Carson Wentz. At the moment, I think Connor Cook is a better fit for us. Will Connor Cook be a franchise QB? There's no guarantee of that. But I've watched the majority of the games he's played and I can say that I believe he'll be a quality NFL QB.

Take a look at the Jaguars, here's where they ranked in points per game over the past 5 years:
2011 - 28th
2012 - 30th
2013 - 32nd
2014 - 32nd
2015 - 10th

What did the Jaguars do? They brought in Blake Bortles to be their franchise QB and revamped their weapons in the passing game (Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Julius Thomas were major additions). Bortles struggled as a rookie in 2014 but has come out in 2015 and put up 4499 total yards and 37 total TDs to 20 TOs. In the process, he has the Jaguars in the top 10 in points per game...a feat they haven't accomplished since 2007. And a lot of people thought Bortles was a bad pick. A lot of people claimed he was a bust after his rookie year. Not looking like such a bust right now.

Bortles was also a very raw QB. I loved the kid and my opinion of him as a prospect was that he should not play as a rookie. He did play and he struggled. But he worked hard, progressed, and has had a great second year.(unfortunately for him, the Jaguars defense is terrible)

We all love this team. We all want what's best for this team. We all know our defense is a top 10 unit at worst.(when healthy, I think it's a top 5 unit at worst) What we also know is that our offensive unit is one of the worst in football. How do you fix that? By doing what the Jaguars did...aggressively revamping it. We need to aggressively pursue receiving options this off-season and we need to aggressively pursue a QB. Because despite all the support Keenum is receiving, what has he done to elevate the offense? Yes, he had a great game against Tampa. But in his other three starts, our offense was no different than it was under Foles...except Keenum didn't turn it over as much. Some will say that's good enough. I say that it is not. I don't want a team that is completely reliant on the defense to shoulder the burden. We can and should build up our offense to match our defense. Because a balanced team will be far better than a one-dimensional team.

I guess Connor Cook going back to school did him a lot of good in your opinion because you dismissed him as almost too flawed to play in the NFL when there was a chance that he might come out last year.

I'm not trying to bust your chops (too much ;) ), but at the very least it is illustrative that we have to be cautious of the underclassmen. I think a survey was done of the "hit rate" of first round underclassmen QBs versus seniors and the hit rate on underclassmen hit at 30% versus the seniors hitting at 60%.

I kinda liked Connor Cook last year (although we talked about his mechanical issues and the hitch in his motion and wind up last off-season), but he does look better this year and should continue to improve with more coaching. I don't think he's the kind of guy who's hit his ceiling in college.

That said, I dunno that he's my first choice, either. Nor, when it comes to these guys do I AUTOMATICALLY think that because they are going in the first round that they are better than Sean Mannion. I just don't think that. Mannion got royally screwed with all the dallying with the Rams farting around trying to decide between Keenum and Davis and those lost reps have hurt the Rams in the end because they don't know if they have a potential franchise QB, potential starter, potential backup, trade bait or roster clogger on the team. Granted, I think he's much more than the latter two and, frankly, in his limited exposure, I think he brings the most energy to the offense of anyone, including Keenum. I just want him to get a legit shot because I just have this SINKING feeling that we'll draft a guy in the first round and we all know what that will mean... he's the guy. You don't draft a QB in the first round to have a competition. I mean, Seattle traded for a guy and drafted RW in the 3rd and actually allowed for there to BE a competition, but Fisher's not that way...unfortunately. Greg Williams is on defense, but Fisher isn't. That sinking feeling I have is that Mannion will be a QUALITY starter in this league...for someone else. Better than Fitzpatrick, for example. Worse, I think we'll end up dealing him for peanuts because Fisher will stick with 1st round rookie and Keenum and deal Mannion after another year without ever knowing what we had.

I think drafting a player and never knowing who you drafted...is bad. It's by definition a wasted pick and right now that Mannion pick is looking like a wasted pick not because Mannion isn't or can't be a good player (I think he really can), but because it's really shaping up to look like he'll never get any kind of chance to show it.

And I just really x10000 don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB if we already have the QB we need on our roster. If we don't, then fine, spend it. But it's not like we don't also have other needs and we can't spend picks on QBs and then not even evaluate them. That's pure lunacy!!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Mannion goes into the next camp as the number 3 guy then I gotta think they wasted that pick. If they draft a QB in the first two rounds then it was definitely a wasted pick. Year one I can see him on the roster but inactive on game days. I don't think he's been that bad in practice. He just hasn't been given the chance. But Ialso think Keenum has to be given an opportunity to compete for the starting spot next year. He just might be the type of quarterback who fits Fisher's scheme. Look at the last time his Titans won 13 games. Kerry Collins had a very pedestrian year with only 12 TD's. But he did what he had to in order to win games.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm all for Mannion getting his shot next year if not this week! Rather see him than a rookie qb when the pick could go for a wideout or O lineman! Anything that makes the shitchicken fans whine!

iced

really don't get this logic that starting QB's only come in the early parts of the first round (like top 10)

there are countless examples that would prove otherwise, most notably bridge water,carr, roethlisberger,flacco, etc. (could include rodgers if i wanted too)

guys fall for many reasons - and i am sure that will happen again this year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess Connor Cook going back to school did him a lot of good in your opinion because you dismissed him as almost too flawed to play in the NFL when there was a chance that he might come out last year.

I'm not trying to bust your chops (too much ;) ), but at the very least it is illustrative that we have to be cautious of the underclassmen. I think a survey was done of the "hit rate" of first round underclassmen QBs versus seniors and the hit rate on underclassmen hit at 30% versus the seniors hitting at 60%.

I kinda liked Connor Cook last year (although we talked about his mechanical issues and the hitch in his motion and wind up last off-season), but he does look better this year and should continue to improve with more coaching. I don't think he's the kind of guy who's hit his ceiling in college.

That said, I dunno that he's my first choice, either. Nor, when it comes to these guys do I AUTOMATICALLY think that because they are going in the first round that they are better than Sean Mannion. I just don't think that. Mannion got royally screwed with all the dallying with the Rams farting around trying to decide between Keenum and Davis and those lost reps have hurt the Rams in the end because they don't know if they have a potential franchise QB, potential starter, potential backup, trade bait or roster clogger on the team. Granted, I think he's much more than the latter two and, frankly, in his limited exposure, I think he brings the most energy to the offense of anyone, including Keenum. I just want him to get a legit shot because I just have this SINKING feeling that we'll draft a guy in the first round and we all know what that will mean... he's the guy. You don't draft a QB in the first round to have a competition. I mean, Seattle traded for a guy and drafted RW in the 3rd and actually allowed for there to BE a competition, but Fisher's not that way...unfortunately. Greg Williams is on defense, but Fisher isn't. That sinking feeling I have is that Mannion will be a QUALITY starter in this league...for someone else. Better than Fitzpatrick, for example. Worse, I think we'll end up dealing him for peanuts because Fisher will stick with 1st round rookie and Keenum and deal Mannion after another year without ever knowing what we had.

I think drafting a player and never knowing who you drafted...is bad. It's by definition a wasted pick and right now that Mannion pick is looking like a wasted pick not because Mannion isn't or can't be a good player (I think he really can), but because it's really shaping up to look like he'll never get any kind of chance to show it.

And I just really x10000 don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB if we already have the QB we need on our roster. If we don't, then fine, spend it. But it's not like we don't also have other needs and we can't spend picks on QBs and then not even evaluate them. That's pure lunacy!!!

Yes. Oddly enough, this is something I talked about recently. I didn't like Connor Cook coming into the year. But I've seen more than enough on film to change my opinion on him.

As for Sean Mannion, he's going to have to win the competition. Will it be a fair one? Maybe not. But that's life as a 3rd rounder. He didn't play this year. Can't bet that he's the guy with no film. And I'm not betting on him being the guy based on his college film.

jjab360

Legend

Hard to argue with any of those points, I'm hoping for Jared Goff myself. He's destined to fall down draft boards as the guy who's too skinny and doesn't have a cannon, but he's probably the most likely to have an instant impact imo.

And then we attack the receiver position like we did the OL last year. Focusing your scouting efforts on one position and then throwing a ton of assets at it has worked out pretty well for us, we got quality talent and depth all in one draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to argue with any of those points, I'm hoping for Jared Goff myself. He's destined to fall down draft boards as the guy who's too skinny and doesn't have a cannon, but he's probably the most likely to have an instant impact imo.

God, I'll laugh maniacally for hours if we get Goff. That kid is awesome. My #1 QB...I think he's going to be seriously good.