Searching for top 3 plays in Rams history/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Searching for top 3 plays in Rams history
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9074/searching-for-top-3-plays-in-rams-history

Coming later this summer, the 32 NFL nation reporters will be unveiling the top three plays in the history of each team in the league.

But to get there, we are seeking help from you, the fans. Obviously, the goal here will be to figure the three plays that most define the Rams. That means we aren't limiting this to the team's tenure in St. Louis. It's open to Los Angeles or even Cleveland if your memory takes you back that far.

The eventual goal is to winnow the many plays in the team's history to a top three and then put them in order from one to three. I've already begun seeking opinions on Twitter and you can chime in there using hashtag #NFLNRamsTopPlays.

Many of those responses have focused on the same three plays that initially jumped out at me. Those three plays are Isaac Bruce's game-winning touchdown catch in Super Bowl XXXIV, linebacker Mike Jones' touchdown saving tackle in that same game and Ricky Proehl's game-winning touchdown catch against Tampa Bay in the NFC Championship Game to get the Rams to that Super Bowl.

Clearly, the idea here is to go with plays that are not only memorable but left an indelible mark on the franchise's history. So while there are many other eye-popping plays in the organization's history, those three stand out for how meaningful they were in winning the Rams a championship.

But to be clear, we are open for suggestions.

So if you have some thoughts, feel free to do so in the comments below this post or on Twitter using the hashtag #NFLNRamsTopPlays. Your help is appreciated.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Dec 28th, 1979 - Rams shock Cowboys in playoffs! This was a huge moment for the long-suffering Ram fans of the 70's We we're always 2nd best until this:

Ferragamo to Waddy -

This time it was Ferragamo’s turn and the change came just in time. The Rams finished the season winning four of their last five and made it into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. In the NFC Divisional playoffs, they trailed the Cowboys 19-14 with just over 2 minutes left when Ferragamo hooked up with Billy Waddy for the game-winning 50-yard touchdown.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Torry Holts catch vs the Seahawks is one of the best plays I've ever seen. I know it's early as well, but has anyone in Rams history returned a punt like Tavon Austin? That return was incredible. I think Marshall Faulks run vs cleveland in 99 is right up there as well. Hell, you could pick about 10 just from that championship season.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
End of the 3rd quarter of SBXIV. The on-field Rams defense ran from one end of the field to the other (about 60 yards). The crowd went nuts.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
the-tackle-mike-jones-on-kevin-dyson-super-bowl-xxxiv-rams-titans.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Yeah pretty much this. I've been a fan since '79, but these 3 plays were HUGE. The Bruce 73 yd TD doesn't seem to get as much love as it should in the annals of NFL lore. I get it that Mike Jones saved a game tying TD...but Warner to Bruce was THE Super Bowl game winning TD! It was also a spectacular catch and run within itself...

1) Bruce Super Bowl game winning TD
2) Jones tackle
3) Proehl NFC championship game winning TD

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ryan Tucker's 1 yard TD catch against the Vikings
Tony Mayberry's ridiculous snap in the Tampa game that netted a safety
Torry Holt's infamous facemask catch against the Titans for a TD

(you know, just to be different)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ryan Tucker's 1 yard TD catch against the Vikings
Tony Mayberry's ridiculous snap in the Tampa game that netted a safety
Torry Holt's infamous facemask catch against the Titans for a TD

(you know, just to be different)
th

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
1. The tackle
2. Bruce's TD catch and run in SB34
3. Faulk's run against the Browns.

GSOT forever

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sad they all came in one season,some say one game

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Or Fred Dryers 2 safeties in 1 game (I know it's 2 plays), but it's never been done before of since.

Ramfreak

Yeah pretty much this. I've been a fan since '79, but these 3 plays were HUGE. The Bruce 73 yd TD doesn't seem to get as much love as it should in the annals of NFL lore. I get it that Mike Jones saved a game tying TD...but Warner to Bruce was THE Super Bowl game winning TD! It was also a spectacular catch and run within itself...

1) Bruce Super Bowl game winning TD
2) Jones tackle
3) Proehl NFC championship game winning TD
I would go with this order and then
4) Ferragamo to Billy Waddy to beat Dallas in 1979 playoffs
5) Everette to Flipper Anderson to beat NYG in 1989 playoff in OT
6) Mike Langsford game winning FG to beat the Saints to clinch a playoff berth. Can't recall what year in the 1980's it was. That come back was sick!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
"And they won't...catch him...today!"

That call still rings out in my head more than any other.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
A lot of good choices here. A little more grist for the mill:

- Warner to Faulk TD pass near the end of the half against the Dolphins in 2001. Warner had defenders all over him trying to pull him down and he managed to throw a nearly perfect pass to Faulk who went up and got the TD.
- Van Brocklin to Fears, 73 yard TD vs. the Browns in the 1951 NFL Championship. One of THREE 73-yard TD passes that decided a championship in games involving the Rams (the other two were SB XIV against the Steelers, Bradshaw to Stallworth, and of course Warner to Bruce in SB XXXIV).
- Not necessarily a spectacular play, but hugely significant - Dickerson off right tackle for 9 yards against the Oilers to give him 2007 yards for the season and break OJ Simpson's record.
- Dickerson's 248 vs. the Cowboys in the '85 playoffs as the Rams became the first team to ever shut them out in the postseason. Man that was sweet.
- Warner to Hakim for a long TD on the Monday night game vs. the Broncos, with Az and Torry jawing at each other as they ran together into the end zone. The GSOT personified.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really hard to put anything from the black and white days in there but you know there were some great plays back then.

Got to have the Brice TD to win the SB
I like the TD against the seahags in seattle to win the game in OT Bulger to McDonald and complete the biggest comeback in team history (plus I was at that game)

How can you not have Faulk in there, something from Dickerson's record setting year??

Only 3 really

Ramfreak

As Isaac Bruce was weaving himself into the endzone in the Super Bowl, I literally saw my whole Rams childhood flash in front of my eyes. I saw Jack Youngblood and the history of this team. All the great years but falling short was all worth it. Hard to explain it.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Or Fred Dryers 2 safeties in 1 game (I know it's 2 plays), but it's never been done before of since.

Against the Packers! I was watching that game as a kid. Dryer was my favorite guy on that dominate D.

69superbowl

Rookie
3. Proehl's catch v. Tampa.
2. Isiah Robertson's 59 yard interception return TD vs. the Skins in the '74 playoffs.
1. Mike.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Torry Holts catch vs the Seahawks is one of the best plays I've ever seen. I know it's early as well, but has anyone in Rams history returned a punt like Tavon Austin? That return was incredible. I think Marshall Faulks run vs cleveland in 99 is right up there as well. Hell, you could pick about 10 just from that championship season.

I wish I had your memory. I cannot remember any specific plays past a few years.