Sean McVay treating Darrell Henderson like RB1, promises he won't play in preseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Sean McVay treating Darrell Henderson like RB1, promises he won't play in preseason​

USATSI_15053379.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

July 26, 2021 12:14 pm PT

Darrell Henderson Jr. is getting the full-blown RB1 treatment from Sean McVay in the lead up to Week 1. With Cam Akers sidelined by a torn Achilles, Henderson is set to be the Rams’ starting running back.
And as a projected starter, he won’t step foot on the field during the preseason.

“No, Darrell will not play in a preseason game. I can promise you, you’re not seeing Darrell Henderson in the preseason,” McVay said Monday to open camp.

The coach made it clear that he’s taking no chances with Henderson this offseason as the Rams prepare for the regular season, attempting to keep him healthy after already losing one starting running back.
Injuries have limited Henderson in the past, too, as he’s missed six of a possible 34 games in two years (including the postseason). He has now finished the last two seasons on injured reserve, something no player ever wants to do.
When healthy, Henderson has shown an abundance of potential. And in McVay’s mind, it’s never been a question of his talent. It’s about his availability.

“If you look through the first half of the year last year, this has never been an ability question for Darrell Henderson,” McVay said. “This is, all right, how do we find a strategic and structured way to keep him available for all these games and what does that workload look like? Because he is the established guy in that room. You can see, when he gets the ball in his hand and he puts that foot in the ground, there’s a burst and he’s sturdy, too. … I think he is a complete back, very similar to how you’ve heard me talk about Cam. What

our biggest challenge is, is not figuring out if he’s capable of doing it, it’s finding that sweet spot of how do we maximize Darrell Henderson? While also getting some of these other guys involved and figuring out, what is that touch point to keep him healthy throughout the season and a big part of our offense? Which he’s gonna be. It’s never been an ability. It’s just, all right, is he available? Because the guy’s a baller and I’m excited to see what he’ll do with this.”

McVay mentioned getting Raymond Calais, Xavier Jones and Jake Funk work behind Henderson at running back, with this being a great opportunity for those three young backs to emerge and establish themselves as role players.
Jones should get a ton of work in the preseason and is the favorite to be the RB2, but Funk is explosive and Calais is a guy McVay likes, too.

Psycho_X

Legend
Lots of preseason snaps for other guys!

Going to be fun to watch.

Can't wait! I actually love the preseason now. I used to hate it because we always drafted crap players and had crap coaches who couldn't develop anything. So it was like... great we get to watch the worst players on the worst team and that went on for a decade. But now, I want to see every player we draft and sign on the field playing. Because I know some of those guys will be starting in a year or two and will be contributors until then.

Flint

Pro Bowler
What has he said about rb2? I have to believe that these guys only have so much time to make an impact, does Snead have anyone in FA he’s looking at as an option?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sean McVay treating Darrell Henderson like RB1, promises he won't play in preseason​

USATSI_15053379.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

July 26, 2021 12:14 pm PT

Darrell Henderson Jr. is getting the full-blown RB1 treatment from Sean McVay in the lead up to Week 1. With Cam Akers sidelined by a torn Achilles, Henderson is set to be the Rams’ starting running back.
And as a projected starter, he won’t step foot on the field during the preseason.

“No, Darrell will not play in a preseason game. I can promise you, you’re not seeing Darrell Henderson in the preseason,” McVay said Monday to open camp.

The coach made it clear that he’s taking no chances with Henderson this offseason as the Rams prepare for the regular season, attempting to keep him healthy after already losing one starting running back.
Injuries have limited Henderson in the past, too, as he’s missed six of a possible 34 games in two years (including the postseason). He has now finished the last two seasons on injured reserve, something no player ever wants to do.
When healthy, Henderson has shown an abundance of potential. And in McVay’s mind, it’s never been a question of his talent. It’s about his availability.

“If you look through the first half of the year last year, this has never been an ability question for Darrell Henderson,” McVay said. “This is, all right, how do we find a strategic and structured way to keep him available for all these games and what does that workload look like? Because he is the established guy in that room. You can see, when he gets the ball in his hand and he puts that foot in the ground, there’s a burst and he’s sturdy, too. … I think he is a complete back, very similar to how you’ve heard me talk about Cam. What

our biggest challenge is, is not figuring out if he’s capable of doing it, it’s finding that sweet spot of how do we maximize Darrell Henderson? While also getting some of these other guys involved and figuring out, what is that touch point to keep him healthy throughout the season and a big part of our offense? Which he’s gonna be. It’s never been an ability. It’s just, all right, is he available? Because the guy’s a baller and I’m excited to see what he’ll do with this.”

McVay mentioned getting Raymond Calais, Xavier Jones and Jake Funk work behind Henderson at running back, with this being a great opportunity for those three young backs to emerge and establish themselves as role players.
Jones should get a ton of work in the preseason and is the favorite to be the RB2, but Funk is explosive and Calais is a guy McVay likes, too.
If anyone may doubt Henderson, then they should watch last season all over. He was very effective. I still think it will be risky to not bring in a vet to add to the RB mix though. Henderson, Jones, ?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I’d like to see some numbers about how limiting touches helps or hurts availability.

I don’t buy in to this method of ensuring someone suits up on a consistent basis.

I think players need to play. If the are not use to taking hits, they will be limited.

There are too many who won’t play because of minor injuries who want to protect themselves. It has been a problem jacking up the league for decades now.

Your body has to be prepare to take and give the blows.

TexasRam

Legend
I’d like to see some numbers about how limiting touches helps or hurts availability.

I don’t buy in to this method of ensuring someone suits up on a consistent basis.

I think players need to play. If the are not use to taking hits, they will be limited.

There are too many who won’t play because of minor injuries who want to protect themselves. It has been a problem jacking up the league for decades now.

I get what you are saying, but an extra game in the season and possible long playoff run is alot of wear and tear on a RB1.

I would rather play Hendo sparingly in big games since we don't have the two headed monster with Akers/Hendo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Before bringing in Vet, they need to look hard at the current cast, Calais, Jones, Funk & even Anderson. Overall, they might have enough, but one should be had on cutdown day or if they have their sights set on somebody else that don't think will make it to them on the waiver wire, a conditional draft pick.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Can't wait! I actually love the preseason now. I used to hate it because we always drafted crap players and had crap coaches who couldn't develop anything. So it was like... great we get to watch the worst players on the worst team and that went on for a decade. But now, I want to see every player we draft and sign on the field playing. Because I know some of those guys will be starting in a year or two and will be contributors until then.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Xavier Jones Better hurry up and make his Mark - he’s going to be 24 years old next month I believe.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If anyone may doubt Henderson, then they should watch last season all over. He was very effective. I still think it will be risky to not bring in a vet to add to the RB mix though. Henderson, Jones, ?

He actually led the team in YPC, I think by about a half yard over Cam, and was one yard less than Cam in total rushing yards. I don't have any doubts about Henderson's ability as a runner; it's his durability that raises question marks. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have always liked Henderson, and he has played well, but the one play that sticks out in my head is one against Miami last year. They were blitzing Goff, and Henderson (may have been in motion) ran a short route to the right side, and a couple of Miami defenders ran right past him. He should have read the blitz and picked up one of those guys, or he should have been looking for a quick pass from Goff. Instead, he acted like he had no idea what the Dolphins were doing. To me that showed inexperience or, worse yet, a lack of football knowledge.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
but one should be had on cutdown day or if they have their sights set on somebody else that don't think will make it to them on the waiver wire, a conditional draft pick.
Thinking the same thing. Not gonna say they won't go veteran route , but it just feels like they're gonna try find 2-5 yr guy
who may be flying under the radar.
AS far as Anderson and Calais don't think they have the size to stand up to pass pro. IMO Funk has the ability to do it all at #3
Just the injury history worries me.

Ram65

Legend

Catch 22. Does Henderson get a few carries in scrimmages against the Raiders and Cowgirls? Very hard decision to make.

Let's see what the rest have.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Catch 22. Does Henderson get a few carries in scrimmages against the Raiders and Cowgirls? Very hard decision to make.

Let's see what the rest have.

I would believe all the starters are going to see reps in those scrimmages just not the preseason.