Sean McVay on Rich Eisen Interview - Very good interview! 2021 draft, NFC West, Matthew Stafford, Jared GOff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree here. Goff's QBing has nerfed the perception of our very good WR core IMO. They consistently get open and get YAC....when the QB can get em the ball.

I realize i'm nitpicking your post of which i agree with every other position comparison you made.
Lockett and Metcalf may be close to a draw with Woods and Kupp, but I still think Woods/Kupp is better.
Lockett merely reached his peak and Metcalf is a head case who may have all the talent in the world, but has that loose cannon in him.
Past that, I think the Rams #3 in Jefferson puts them further ahead and getting anything out of DJax just pushes the Rams to a different stratosphere.
As for TE, Rams and Everett is merely addition by subtraction, and wait until Wilson gets his bell rung because GE misses a block, drops that 3rd down pass, and generally disappears for a couple games

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Sooo then you are saying what exactly? That Matthew Stafford is mediocre?

Do me a favor and imagine that Wilson and Stafford swap teams for the entirety of their careers. That is the only thing changed in this scenario. Every single draft pick and coach/scheme change and decision is exactly the same. All I's dotted and T's crossed.

Which team ends up with more wins, playoff wins, Superbowls?

If you say the Lions then you are most definitely drinking kool-aid from a fountain that I want to own.

No I didn't say he was mediocre. I said wilson is just a better QB. Let's not make this complicated. Thanks

oldnotdead

Legend
The only thing Wilson has over Stafford is his mobility. Both have exceptional arms and accuracy, particularly at long range. Both are different types of QB's. Stafford is the prototypical old school type of pocket QB. Tall, strong-armed pocket passer which may have gone out of vogue in recent years, but whose style has been proven by Brady to be still dangerous when protected. Wilson has been forced to make off scheduled throws simply because of the poor o-line he plays behind.

Give Stafford protection and he's equally dangerous who is able to get to the line early and make his own reads and adjustments. Both play in different systems and in McVay's system he has a QB who looks to be a perfect fit. Wilson has been the model of consistency in terms of stats but to pass a comparison judgement vs Stafford is an eye roller. Because of the differences in the teams they played with it's impossible to make definitive comparisons. By that token Goff more than held his own playing the Sea Hawks. Stafford is also a tall pocket passer who without a doubt is a huge upgrade over Goff. To expect him to play the SeaHawks better than Goff would seem more than reasonable considering the current Rams on both sides of the ball.

People overlook that football is a team game and that has to be taken into context when comparing QBs. Stafford on the Rams with their offensive talent, and a defense that should limit the opposition is an imposing prospect to the rest of the NFCW. The Rams FO obviously felt that the missing piece preventing the winning of a Lombardi was a QB. Goff put up 3952 yds and 20 TDs last year, so to think Stafford could put up 5K yds and over 30 TDs in 17 games isn't a stretch. Stafford makes this team deadly, because with Akers running the ball against a box that isn't stacked the Rams look to be able to control the clock in most games.

Until proven otherwise the Rams look to be the cream of the NFCW which in turn is the toughest division in the NFL.

dang

Legend
Disagree here. Goff's QBing has nerfed the perception of our very good WR core IMO. They consistently get open and get YAC....when the QB can get em the ball.

I realize i'm nitpicking your post of which i agree with every other position comparison you made.
No problem with your take. I love Woods and Kupp. Perhaps we will get the deep threat just by adding Stafford. I still don’t feel we have a red zone target though. That was one things Watkins was good at for the Rams.