Sean McVay on Rich Eisen Interview - Very good interview! 2021 draft, NFC West, Matthew Stafford, Jared GOff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Stafford gives the Rams the best QB in the division. For the first time since moving to LA, the Rams outmatch the rest of the division at that position. If this team stays healthy, they have the talent on both sides of the ball to dominate. They are 4-5 deep at WR, 2 deep at RB, the o-line proved they can be pretty good, especially now that they have a QB that can read defenses quickly and get rid of the ball quickly. They have a good TE with a promising 2nd year guy. If the defense can play anywhere near their level they were at in 2020, this team will be a nightmare matchup for opponents.

If Lewis stays healthy this front of Floyd, AD, Robinson and Lewis can stop the run, and pressure the QB without substitution of sub-packages. IMO they will be looking for depth on the d-line and OLB. Unlike most I think they have pretty good ILBs with Reeder, Kiser at MIKE, and Young and Howard at MO. They will be looking for a SAM (OLB) and to see if Hoecht or Williams can fill the rotational roles in the front 7.

Edge, #3RB and SCB are really the only clear needs on this team and even then they have options. I honestly think that #3RB will be a bigger back who can play as a lead blocker, short yardage back and 3rd down RB (blocking and receiving). This team is built and primed for a couple of years of Super Bowl contention now.

dang

Legend
On offense Rams have got to re-establish a dominant OL as well. As well as find a more permanent deep threat and find a red zone target.
On defense depth all around as well as finding that 2nd edge rusher is key.

nighttrain

Legend
On offense Rams have got to re-establish a dominant OL as well. As well as find a more permanent deep threat and find a red zone target.
On defense depth all around as well as finding that 2nd edge rusher is key.
very deep draft for WRers, should be able to find one to coach up late
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Stafford gives the Rams the best QB in the division. For the first time since moving to LA, the Rams outmatch the rest of the division at that position. If this team stays healthy, they have the talent on both sides of the ball to dominate. They are 4-5 deep at WR, 2 deep at RB, the o-line proved they can be pretty good, especially now that they have a QB that can read defenses quickly and get rid of the ball quickly. They have a good TE with a promising 2nd year guy. If the defense can play anywhere near their level they were at in 2020, this team will be a nightmare matchup for opponents.

If Lewis stays healthy this front of Floyd, AD, Robinson and Lewis can stop the run, and pressure the QB without substitution of sub-packages. IMO they will be looking for depth on the d-line and OLB. Unlike most I think they have pretty good ILBs with Reeder, Kiser at MIKE, and Young and Howard at MO. They will be looking for a SAM (OLB) and to see if Hoecht or Williams can fill the rotational roles in the front 7.

Edge, #3RB and SCB are really the only clear needs on this team and even then they have options. I honestly think that #3RB will be a bigger back who can play as a lead blocker, short yardage back and 3rd down RB (blocking and receiving). This team is built and primed for a couple of years of Super Bowl contention now.

Pretty much agree with all of this, although if McVay is happy with one of Trishton Jackson or Raymond Calais as a #3 RB, then my vote would be for a short yardage, blocking FB/HB who can also line up occasionally as an in-line TE. If he's available with our 6'th round pick, Ben Mason would give us a blocking ability we haven't had at least since Gurley was about, and would certainly be a more effective blocker than Everett imo.
As a replacement for Fox, the DE pass rush position is likely to see some real competition between two guys who can't seem to stay healthy in Justin Lawler & Terrell Lewis, and there appears to be a host of less known guys like Marquise Copeland, Jonah Williams & Eric Banks, so hopefully management likes what they have seen here enough to not feel the need to apply a top draft pick unless someone extraordinary drops into their laps.
Without knowing if, how or where a new Center/OG becomes a top Rams priority, an Edge OLB & SCB appears most likely to become early picks. A speedy WR to learn behind and be injury insurance in case DeSean Jackson goes down should be on the table, and hopefully he can compete immediately as a P/K returner. And while I hope Brycen Hopkins can give us another quality red-zone target, I won't be surprised to see another TE drafted later to compete for the #3 or 4 roster spot.
The Rams have a lot of untested talent on our roster, you can bet that one or two of these guys are going to step up and surprise some of us.
Not much is being said about Chandler Brewer and whether he'll be able to return to the line-up being his risks for Covid creating an even larger problem, but his added depth as an OT or OG could be missed. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best qb in the division? Yeah Id take russle over stafford any day
Wilson's a heck of a QB but he has weaknesses namely his inability to see from the pocket. I think we have the right QB for this offense now.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Best qb in the division? Yeah Id take russle over stafford any day

Yeah, there are only a few QBs I'd take over Stafford, one of them being Wilson and the other being Mahomes. Mahomes is in a league of his own tho.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah, there are only a few QBs I'd take over Stafford, one of them being Wilson and the other being Mahomes. Mahomes is in a league of his own tho.
Yeah I get having team pride and believing in everyone on the roster. But it's really not close comparing the two QBs. Seahats without wilson is a 4 win team. Detroit with stafford is a 4 win team.
I'm a huge stafford fan but he doesn't carry a below average team like wilson does.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Yeah I get having team pride and believing in everyone on the roster. But it's really not close comparing the two QBs. Seahats without wilson is a 4 win team. Detroit with stafford is a 4 win team.
I'm a huge stafford fan but he doesn't carry a below average team like wilson does.
This is like comparing the STL Cardinals to your local High-school baseball team. How in the world can you even begin to compare the two organizations? Seattle is never a below average team. They are always an average-to-good team that Russell's play elevates from time to time. The Lions are perennially no better than average.

Come on man. I known Wilson is a great QB but at least be honest with the organizational comparisons.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This is like comparing the STL Cardinals to your local High-school baseball team. How in the world can you even begin to compare the two organizations? Seattle is never a below average team. They are always an average-to-good team that Russell's play elevates from time to time. The Lions are perennially no better than average.

Come on man. I known Wilson is a great QB but at least be honest with the organizational comparisons.

Well I disagree. If seattle had mediocre qb they'd be a 4 to 5 win team.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Well I disagree. If seattle had mediocre qb they'd be a 4 to 5 win team.
Sooo then you are saying what exactly? That Matthew Stafford is mediocre?

Do me a favor and imagine that Wilson and Stafford swap teams for the entirety of their careers. That is the only thing changed in this scenario. Every single draft pick and coach/scheme change and decision is exactly the same. All I's dotted and T's crossed.

Which team ends up with more wins, playoff wins, Superbowls?

If you say the Lions then you are most definitely drinking kool-aid from a fountain that I want to own.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, come on now. Stafford is great, but Wilson has been the better QB. Now #9 gets to play with a great coach, great crop of receivers & RB so we'll see how bright his star shines.
So I'll hold off on this argument until AFTER the season, because before it? Wussell Rilson hands down is the best QB in the division

dang

Legend
Sea vs LAR:
SEA secondary < LAR
SEA LB > LAR
SEA DL < LAR
SEA QB > LAR
SEA RB < LAR
SEA OL < LAR
SEA WR = LAR
SEA TE = LAR with addition of Everett
SEA ST > LAR

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wilson has been the better QB. But after Stafford gets his first full season in this offense that may change.

I know I am biased, but I think Stafford has Super Bowls and maybe even an MVP or two ahead of him in horns.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
SEA WR = LAR
Disagree here. Goff's QBing has nerfed the perception of our very good WR core IMO. They consistently get open and get YAC....when the QB can get em the ball.

I realize i'm nitpicking your post of which i agree with every other position comparison you made.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Breaking down a couple things. Read Les Snead take on 2020 players he liked there progress.
agreeing.. —Crazy (his on-site is Top’s). —going with Nerd

His takes *my takes
—Wolford was his guy (#1)

RB’s - Jones was ready to roll!!!
—Cam Akers is so TOUGH
**HENDO is electric.just needs better vision.Small but a misle like weapon.
—Calias was special teams coach pick with Jags.TBay drafted.Les’s squad claimed him.
-OL- Brewer & Anchrum
*who do The Rams cut ?? Brian Allen ?
*I want Dickerson to fall & Redshirt.
-WR- Van Jefferson top’s
-TE-
- DL- said (workout warrior)SJD #1 guy on defense.Then said the 4-some.
*SJD tucks Jersey so his belly is out,old school ncaa.

LBer - Turner & Young
*Kiser & bs st guy
DB’s - Hill,Williams & JR Reed