Sean McVay gives up a piece of Rams' offense, grows as a head coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wade is a great D coach.
It is odd he has never stuck any one place for that long however.
The D did evolve and improve under him with the Rams. Last years unit, on the whole was pretty good. A few very bad games offset an otherwise good year.
I think years 9-7 may have been McVays most impressive year to date given the absolute trash can fire on the OL.
Not sticking in any one place is kind of the norm though tbh. Look at Kyle Shanahan who is being crowned as the greatest mind in the universe this season... OC for 3 years with Skins, OC for 1 year with Browns, OC for 2 years with Falcons. If you're a coordinator that's sort of how things go.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The only real veteran coaches Mcvay brought in when he was hired was Wade, Kromer and Joe Barry. He also brought in quite a few young coaches if I am not mistaken. Lafleur - honestly a bulk of the offensive staff were younger less experienced guys. I think Mcvay brought in Pleasant as well.

Bones was here after they talked Mcvay wanted to keep him on. Same with Skip Peete after Mcvay talked with him and Gurley he wanted to bring him back.

I'm wanting to highlight the communication of Mcvay's approach. He can be a brilliant football mind and offensive guru. What I really like is that he approaches everything with sound communication.

"Where communication lacks, negativity fills" - Mcvay. This quote is posted at my work I love it so much.

I have no doubts that the partings of Wade and Bones were hard - for all sides.

I would also doubt that Mcvay, a guy so hyper focused on sound communication, would bring in 'yes' men.

I can't wait to see some of the gameplans that are dialed up when these guys get together. They will communicate and that will help their creativity thrive.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wade not wanting to game plan for specific opponent seems crazy to me.
His scheme is certainly sound given his overall success. Just lining up skill on skill and letting talent win out is.....unusual.
Looking forward to what the new DC does.

He's like most good coaches. Their scheme works with enough talent.

If McVay is looking to surround himself with people better than him, then he is the exact opposite of insecure. Just saying that in the article, shows that he is very secure in himself.

You weren't thinking of Fisher per chance when you wrote this were you? Talk about insecure with his offense.

Two things I am goddamn tired of wrt the coordinator changes...

1. Fans lining up to "forum assassinate" Wade like he isn't still a great defensive mind. He is. Rams did their share in letting him down by never getting him the right pieces and I'll tell you right now most DCs who go through a secondary rebuild in-season aren't going to put up respectable numbers yet Wade did just that. McVay wanted someone younger he could buddy up with and shape the defensive gameplans. It's really a non-story IMO and I wish the old dude well and thank him for his time with us.

2. This sentiment in the media and on some boards that McVay is anything other than an elite offensive mind, which overlooks the talent shortfall just like the offensive "storyline" does. The OL shuffling is the kind of thing that would derail any "offensive genius" and yet the Rams still finished in respectable range in the league's best division thanks to McVay. Queue up some games and note the ridiculous amount of pocket movement and misdirection required to allow this passing game to function at even the lesser level it did.

I don't buy the offensive genius thing at all. If he was a genius, then why didn't he quickly develop a counter to what Detroit, Denver, Chicago, etc,...did to defend his offense. Sure the Oline has big weaknesses but why didn't he recognize it until it was too late? And why go back to his 11 personnel against Dallas in a crucial game. I think he can be a very good Head Coach but I don't see an offensive genius.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't buy the offensive genius thing at all. If he was a genius, then why didn't he quickly develop a counter to what Detroit, Denver, Chicago, etc,...did to defend his offense.
What Fangio did was take away the outside zone. Way to beat that front is not a mystery, it involves running up the gut which can kill that look. Where McVay erred was on personnel and assuming the young linemen he had on his roster could upgrade the interior of his OL.

It's personnel. Tons of teams run the outside zone approach and you don't see teams shutting it down consistently with that look. Rams simply don't have the horses on the interior to counter it.

And btw the saddest part of this is we couldn't really pass the ball when the run was shut down either. Because of the OL. Next year if they fix the OL McVay will be the toast of the NFL again when everything is enabled by that run game.

Last edited:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay feels somewhat mortal after this season. He’s looking for more lightning in a bottle. Fresh minds with fresh ideas that McVay can mold and direct into another run at the SB. Just my opinion.