Sean McVay gives up a piece of Rams' offense, grows as a head coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sean McVay gives up a piece of Rams' offense, grows as a head coach

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Coach Sean McVay often sounded like a broken record when he spoke this past season about the Los Angeles Rams' offense.

The unit needed to play with more consistency. The players needed to develop a rhythm. The Rams needed to solidify their run game, be less reliant on their passing game.

Although the offense appeared efficient, if not outstanding at times, it ultimately did not perform to standard. The unit's down season was a major contributing factor in a 9-7 record that failed to earn the Rams a third consecutive playoff berth.

"Our inconsistency as a team ended up hurting us," McVay said following the Rams' elimination from playoff contention in Week 16. "We saw what we were capable of when the things were going well, and we saw how it can look when they're not going well."

McVay wasted little time making staff changes following the season. He replaced veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with newcomer Brandon Staley, and hired Kevin O'Connell as offensive coordinator, two moves the team has yet to announce. He remains in search of a new running backs coach and special-teams coordinator after firing Skip Peete and watching John Fassel move on to the Dallas Cowboys.

It's uncertain whether O'Connell and Staley will make additional changes to their offensive and defensive staffing.

By hiring O'Connell, McVay signaled that he's aware the offense's status quo must be improved and that he can't resolve the issues alone.

That's not a bad thing.

As head coach, the offense-minded McVay must continue to evolve, focus on the entire team and most of the dealings that surround it -- including matters beyond X's and O's.

"You get to go through a lot of good and some bad this season," McVay said as the year came to an end. "I think that's forced us to learn a lot about ourselves. I know it has for me personally."

By hiring O'Connell, McVay returns to having an offensive coordinator -- a position he went without the past two seasons after current Green Bay Packerscoach Matt LaFleur left the post in 2018 to take the same role with the Tennessee Titans, where he could also call plays.

Even as he prepares to delegate offensive game planning, McVay is expected to maintain his role as the playcaller next season. But preparation throughout the week and even in-game adjustments will now include the helpful eye of a dedicated coordinator.

"The one thing, for myself in this role, is that you're constantly evaluating all the elements that this role entails and you always want to continue to do it at a high level," McVay said before the season ended, when asked if he was comfortable with the offensive staffing. "The way that you do get better is you surround yourself with people that are better than you. We've got a lot of good people here, but I think it's always continuing to find that good balance of, what does it look like structurally, really, for our organization, in terms of that setup. Want to be able to get the best people here."

O'Connell, 34, spent the past three seasons as an offensive assistant with the Washington Redskins, where he was hired by Jay Gruden, a champion of McVay when he spent seven seasons climbing the ranks in Washington before the Rams named him head coach in 2017.

A former NFL quarterback, O'Connell's first NFL gig came in Cleveland, where he coached quarterbacks in 2015. He spent the following season as an offensive assistant with the San Francisco 49ers, and then in 2017 joined the Redskins (a season after McVay departed), where he coached quarterbacks and was promoted after two seasons to offensive coordinator.

Last season, O'Connell took over as the playcaller after Gruden was fired following an 0-5 start. He helped develop rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who demonstrated drastic improvement in his final two starts of the season as the Redskins posted more than 40 points in consecutive losses.

O'Connell departed the Redskins following the season when new coach Ron Rivera hired Scott Turner as offensive coordinator.

With the Rams, O'Connell will be tasked with correcting the course of an offense that last season lost its identity and did not consistently perform to the standard set the previous two seasons.

The reasons for the Rams' offensive downturn were multifaceted. Several defenses copied the model shown by the Chicago Bears and by the New England Patriots, who shut down the Rams' offense last season in the Super Bowl.

The offensive line was inexperienced and then injury-riddled. The playcalling relied too much on the arm of quarterback Jared Goff and not enough on the legs of the running backs, as McVay attempted to deploy a three-back rotation.

The Rams' offense ranked 11th in the NFL in scoring, averaging 24.6 points, a drop-off from the 32.9 points it averaged in 2018 (second). A season after the run game ranked third in the league, rushing for an average of 134.4 yards per game, the average this season plummeted to 93.7 yards, which ranked 26th. Goff boasted a total QBR of 63.7 (10th) last season, but fell to 48.4 (23rd) in 2019.

The hiring of O'Connell and Staley, who is 37, ensures that the Rams will feature the youngest trio of head coach and offensive and defensive coordinators.

As he prepared for his longest offseason since taking over as head coach, McVay expressed confidence about his ability to evaluate and evolve.

"I'm continuing to try and figure out what's the best rhythm to operate with on a day-to-day basis for our football team," McVay said. "Because ultimately that is your job, is to make sure that you have a good feel for everything that is going on and then putting your players in a position on all three phases to try to have success week in and week out."

The move to hire O'Connell proves McVay is growing as a head coach, even if that means yielding some power over his offense.

fearsomefour

Legend
Being young, relatively inexperienced coaches....are they just yes men for a young (and possibly, because of his age, insecure) head coach?
That is my only question.
One that even McVay couldn’t answer at this point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Being young, relatively inexperienced coaches....are they just yes men for a young (and possibly, because of his age, insecure) head coach?

a little far fetched... Looks like this group will be together for awhile. Joe Barry is an experienced coach that has a big influence in The Rams D’ .....

If he is going to let a new OC have more say in the play calling I can’t see the insecurity. What does McVays contract look like ?? I see Mcvay & Jared Goff being together for the next four seasons, if not The Rams are in for another Merry Go Round ride at Knott’s Berry Farm instead of going to Disneyland.

fearsomefour

Legend
a little far fetched... Looks like this group will be together for awhile. Joe Barry is an experienced coach that has a big influence in The Rams D’ .....

If he is going to let a new OC have more say in the play calling I can’t see the insecurity. What does McVays contract look like ?? I see Mcvay & Jared Goff being together for the next four seasons, if not The Rams are in for another Merry Go Round ride at Knott’s Berry Farm instead of going to Disneyland.
I’m just saying it’s a possibility, that’s all.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

I'm curious as to what McVay has shown you to even suggest that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm curious as to what McVay has shown you to even suggest that.
Nothing.
But, he also hasn’t shown any of us anything. We aren’t in meetings with him. Don’t work with him or for him.
Has more to do with human nature and positions of power/responsibility than McVay himself.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
That’s a clown question bro.
(Meant in the nicest possible way).

I’m 71. Still working, but probably not as sharp/quick as I was at 35. So no problem with losing Wade.
What I WASN’T as a 35 year old architect, was insecure.

As said in this thread, what has he done to even suggest that, and why did you not bring it up last year, when he was even younger, and therefore possibly even MORE insecure?

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

I’m 71. Still working, but probably not as sharp/quick as I was at 35. So no problem with losing Wade.

As said in this thread, what has he done to even suggest that, and why did you not bring it up last year, when he was even younger, and therefore possibly even MORE insecure?
So, you were not insecure as a 35 year old architect.....this relates to McVay how?
Anyway, I’m not saying he is or he is not.
I don’t know. None of us know.
I find the hires interesting.
Going from very experienced coaches (which made sense when he started) to much less experience and younger and I’m sure like minded guys.
I’m not putting McVay down in anyway.
I’m stating nothing as fact.
I’m just wondering how much he is actually going to give up control.
It is natural for a a smart guy who has great attention to detail. It can be very hard for driven people to give up a measure of control.
He has said himself he is still working on figuring out the best balance. I believe that and I think it’s a great sign he is considering these things.
I also don’t discount the coaches because they are young in terms of overall experience. I am looking forward to the new DC in particular. I enjoyed Wade overall, but, I look forward with optimism to see what a fresh approach will do for the D.
Remember when Vermeil put together his staff? A lot of very experienced guys and ex head coaches. It was still his outdated offense. It took an inexperienced coach in Marrz to save the ship and actually force some of the control away from Vermeil.
I feel like people are taking what I said as some kind of attack on McVay, which it’s not.
Will be interesting to see how much the offense/play calling changes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you were not insecure as a 35 year old architect.....this relates to McVay how?
Anyway, I’m not saying he is or he is not.
I don’t know. None of us know.
I find the hires interesting.
Going from very experienced coaches (which made sense when he started) to much less experience and younger and I’m sure like minded guys.
I’m not putting McVay down in anyway.
I’m stating nothing as fact.
I’m just wondering how much he is actually going to give up control.
It is natural for a a smart guy who has great attention to detail. It can be very hard for driven people to give up a measure of control.
He has said himself he is still working on figuring out the best balance. I believe that and I think it’s a great sign he is considering these things.
I also don’t discount the coaches because they are young in terms of overall experience. I am looking forward to the new DC in particular. I enjoyed Wade overall, but, I look forward with optimism to see what a fresh approach will do for the D.
Remember when Vermeil put together his staff? A lot of very experienced guys and ex head coaches. It was still his outdated offense. It took an inexperienced coach in Marrz to save the ship and actually force some of the control away from Vermeil.
I feel like people are taking what I said as some kind of attack on McVay, which it’s not.
Will be interesting to see how much the offense/play calling changes.

But the way you asked the question sounded like a put down.

It's obvious he didn't want coaches who were set on their ways to control the defense and offense.

Wade didn't want to gameplan specifically for every matchup. He wanted to run his d. Mcvay wants the d to be more flexible.

Mcvay himself was way too attached to his 11 personnel scheme and wouldn't change from it when the league was finding solutions to it. After the bears game in 2018 we thought he would have a plan if a team tried that shit again. Around came the superbowl and he didn't change a thing, with predictable results. Then this season started and the same problems were still there. It took him an age to counter it and once he worked out a better scheme to use he went right back to it against the cowboys and the offense couldn't do diddly.

Now he brought in an oc that will challenge him with the gameplans. He needs someone else to keep him in check.

That doesn't look like a hc that wants yes men.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Feel like if McVay wanted yes men he would have hired journeyman coordinators who would never push him. He hired young potential stars IMO. Not saying they will be, but they have the potential unlike a 50 year old who is stuck at this level. I think it takes a lot more confidence to make this hire then to make a 45-55 year old guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Interesting take. Maybe you're right, I don't know how controlling he is. It's always a possibility.

But maybe he's realized that it is difficult to be so immersed in one facet of a team. Maybe he's discovered that his strength is in organization and delegation and needs to be the Head coach. I always thought he seemed like a good head coach type more than an offensive genius. For instance it took him a year to figure out how to defeat that defense referenced in the article, which is odd, because several of us fans here were making suggestions that eventually worked. Maybe he's stubborn, but I think he noticed how McConnel fixed Washington's offense and just wants new ideas.

I think his failure in the Superbowl and struggles this year have made him realize that he needs help on offense so he can keep focused on the big picture. Also he's hoping McConnel can straighten Goff out and get him to learn the position better and reduce mistakes.

On defense I think he saw what we all saw. Wade's defense has a huge limitatuon. It gets crushed by power running teams. Wade didn't have an answer for that. He's old and set in his ways. McVay wanted a more creative approach with scheming, plus he wanted more energy from his defense. He likely noticed how Sala can energize his players. The Rams defense ran too hot and cold this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

not necessary to insult. Just reply

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

It's obvious he didn't want coaches who were set on their ways to control the defense and offense.

Wade didn't want to gameplan specifically for every matchup. He wanted to run his d. Mcvay wants the d to be more flexible.

Mcvay himself was way too attached to his 11 personnel scheme and wouldn't change from it when the league was finding solutions to it. After the bears game in 2018 we thought he would have a plan if a team tried that shit again. Around came the superbowl and he didn't change a thing, with predictable results. Then this season started and the same problems were still there. It took him an age to counter it and once he worked out a better scheme to use he went right back to it against the cowboys and the offense couldn't do diddly.

Now he brought in an oc that will challenge him with the gameplans. He needs someone else to keep him in check.

A yes man is a guy who'll agree with the boss on every decision made, and that's clearly not what McVay is looking for.

In a way he's giving up a modicum of control with the OC hire. It also gives him someone in the booth who can literally see everything and calmly analyze counters to what the defense is doing on every play. But it also gives him the ability to be a true HC on the sidelines, instead of standing there spinning his wheels on the next perfect counter to the defensive line up. McVay wants to take his own emotion out of the offensive play calling, plain and simple.

On the defensive side, those positions have flipped. With Wade he really didn't have much say in game planning and adjustments. Clearly, that's no longer the case, and he is now going to be more involved with the defense, and that really should be an excellent perspective coming from a person who's job it was to target weaknesses in defenses. More importantly, the young head coach is taking on more direct responsibility for success and failure himself with this hire.

To me, these were unquestionably the right decisions. The only question being whether or not they were the right people, which of course time will tell. That said those hires came fast, which means that they've been thinking about this and planning for a while now.

fearsomefour

Legend

Wade not wanting to game plan for specific opponent seems crazy to me.
His scheme is certainly sound given his overall success. Just lining up skill on skill and letting talent win out is.....unusual.
Looking forward to what the new DC does.

fearsomefour

Legend
Interesting take. Maybe you're right, I don't know how controlling he is. It's always a possibility.

But maybe he's realized that it is difficult to be so immersed in one facet of a team. Maybe he's discovered that his strength is in organization and delegation and needs to be the Head coach. I always thought he seemed like a good head coach type more than an offensive genius. For instance it took him a year to figure out how to defeat that defense referenced in the article, which is odd, because several of us fans here were making suggestions that eventually worked. Maybe he's stubborn, but I think he noticed how McConnel fixed Washington's offense and just wants new ideas.

I think his failure in the Superbowl and struggles this year have made him realize that he needs help on offense so he can keep focused on the big picture. Also he's hoping McConnel can straighten Goff out and get him to learn the position better and reduce mistakes.

On defense I think he saw what we all saw. Wade's defense has a huge limitatuon. It gets crushed by power running teams. Wade didn't have an answer for that. He's old and set in his ways. McVay wanted a more creative approach with scheming, plus he wanted more energy from his defense. He likely noticed how Sala can energize his players. The Rams defense ran too hot and cold this year.
It’s interesting.
I think he could watch film and could certainly come up with ideas how to attack that D look.
Now, sticking to it and not falling into predictable play calling....that can be hard.
I remember an article talking about how Pittsburgh (I think) held Kupp to no catches. Every third down and more than five (or whatever it was, I’m paraphrasing) they doubled Kupp based on McVays play calling tendencies he fell into.
Having another voice in preparing for these sorts of things, not only during the week, but during the game can be huge.
Not a cowinky dink that after that game the TE role started to expand. The Rams certainly have the talent to keep defenses off balance. Having another voice is a great idea I think.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay is looking to surround himself with people better than him, then he is the exact opposite of insecure. Just saying that in the article, shows that he is very secure in himself.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

The way I see it, he is evolving. He knows he needs to be more hands on in all aspects of the team. By hiring young, first time coordinators it shows he's secure enough to oversee the whole operation. He feels he's ready to take the next step.

fearsomefour

Legend
The way I see it, he is evolving. He knows he needs to be more hands on in all aspects of the team. By hiring young, first time coordinators it shows he's secure enough to oversee the whole operation. He feels he's ready to take the next step.
This is my take as well.
It is a thin line to walk in any business. Surround yourself with like minded folks but still being open to be pushed and challenged.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Two things I am goddamn tired of wrt the coordinator changes...

1. Fans lining up to "forum assassinate" Wade like he isn't still a great defensive mind. He is. Rams did their share in letting him down by never getting him the right pieces and I'll tell you right now most DCs who go through a secondary rebuild in-season aren't going to put up respectable numbers yet Wade did just that. McVay wanted someone younger he could buddy up with and shape the defensive gameplans. It's really a non-story IMO and I wish the old dude well and thank him for his time with us.

2. This sentiment in the media and on some boards that McVay is anything other than an elite offensive mind, which overlooks the talent shortfall just like the offensive "storyline" does. The OL shuffling is the kind of thing that would derail any "offensive genius" and yet the Rams still finished in respectable range in the league's best division thanks to McVay. Queue up some games and note the ridiculous amount of pocket movement and misdirection required to allow this passing game to function at even the lesser level it did.

fearsomefour

Legend
Two things I am goddamn tired of wrt the coordinator changes...

1. Fans lining up to "forum assassinate" Wade like he isn't still a great defensive mind. He is. Rams did their share in letting him down by never getting him the right pieces and I'll tell you right now most DCs who go through a secondary rebuild in-season aren't going to put up respectable numbers yet Wade did just that. McVay wanted someone younger he could buddy up with and shape the defensive gameplans. It's really a non-story IMO and I wish the old dude well and thank him for his time with us.

2. This sentiment in the media and on some boards that McVay is anything other than an elite offensive mind, which overlooks the talent shortfall just like the offensive "storyline" does. The OL shuffling is the kind of thing that would derail any "offensive genius" and yet the Rams still finished in respectable range in the league's best division thanks to McVay. Queue up some games and note the ridiculous amount of pocket movement and misdirection required to allow this passing game to function at even the lesser level it did.
Wade is a great D coach.
It is odd he has never stuck any one place for that long however.
The D did evolve and improve under him with the Rams. Last years unit, on the whole was pretty good. A few very bad games offset an otherwise good year.
I think years 9-7 may have been McVays most impressive year to date given the absolute trash can fire on the OL.