Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It would be better if he was suited up making the exchange
automatic,learning his teammates habits,just would.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm concerned about Scott Wells. He is supposed to be helping Sam Bradford become a better QB. We signed him because our center had issues. He signed a big contract and there has been no return so far. Every center snaps the ball differently, so there are no reps going on. Sam doesn't know how much Well's sweats, etc.

Everybody should be concerned.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:sly: Yeah, I'm on the "CONCERNED" train. He is the key to O getting off on the right foot. Sam needs to know how this guy's balls hang! :sly: :sly:

Anonymous

Frankly, if it even came to that, which I really doubt it will, I figure they'll be fine with Turner.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
Except it's a veteran center of years standing and in fact he HAS missed time before in a Green Bay camp, if memory serves, and it didn't hamper them. Plus he's there in every meeting. Apparently he's also there at every practice. My bet is he and Turner have way open lines of communication, too.

IMO and all but, I think people's ears are perking up cause we're on hyper-over-attentive mode and that in fact, there's nothing real going on.
You mean the Green Bay system he was in his entire career?

Oh.

C'mon... let's be realistic. It's not a 'non-issue' at this point. If it was, nobody would be talking about it.

A guy like Wells? He had the system down in May. :cool:
Did he? The indications are that he had a busy offseason; re: not football. There were reports at the end of OTAs that Wells was not active, which jives with the "behind on his rehab" reports. How many reps with the team did he get in the spring?

Veterans are veterans, but reps are reps.

If the lack of OTAs last year going into a new system caused troubles on the Oline, the Center missing too many reps there and in training camp, veteran or not, is a concern.

I sure hope this is much ado about nothing, but after last year ... :peek:

Anonymous

Ram Quixote said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
Except it's a veteran center of years standing and in fact he HAS missed time before in a Green Bay camp, if memory serves, and it didn't hamper them. Plus he's there in every meeting. Apparently he's also there at every practice. My bet is he and Turner have way open lines of communication, too.

IMO and all but, I think people's ears are perking up cause we're on hyper-over-attentive mode and that in fact, there's nothing real going on.

Oh.

C'mon... let's be realistic. It's not a 'non-issue' at this point. If it was, nobody would be talking about it.

Did he? The indications are that he had a busy offseason; re: not football. There were reports at the end of OTAs that Wells was not active, which jives with the "behind on his rehab" reports. How many reps with the team did he get in the spring?

If the lack of OTAs last year going into a new system caused troubles on the Oline, the Center missing too many reps there and in training camp, veteran or not, is a concern.

He's been present for all OTA meetings and all meetings since camp began.

Last year had no off-season and then multiple injuries.

They could still have multiple injuries, I suppose, but you would think the law of averages will eventually work against that.

But...they do have an off-season.

Last year no one was introduced to the system at any level or in any way till the first day of camp.

This year they've been grinding film with the position coaches for weeks.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
zn said:
Ram Quixote said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

Oh.

Last year had no off-season and then multiple injuries. (1)

They could still have multiple injuries, I suppose, but you would think the law of averages will eventually work against that.

Last year no one was introduced to the system at any level or in any way till the first day of camp.

This year they've been grinding film with the position coaches for weeks. (2)
1) Did Wells have any OTA reps? Meetings sure, but that's not reps.

2) Players need to do more than grind film. Sure, it probably helps a vet like Wells, but getting reps will help even more, not to mention his line mates who maybe haven't practiced with him.

I know the subject is an agree/disagree spot, and maybe Wells will be out there this week and the debate ends. :crossed:

Anonymous

Ram Quixote said:
zn said:
Ram Quixote said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

Oh.

Last year had no off-season and then multiple injuries. (1)

This year they've been grinding film with the position coaches for weeks. (2)
1) Did Wells have any OTA reps? Meetings sure, but that's not reps.

2) Players need to do more than grind film. Sure, it probably helps a vet like Wells, but getting reps will help even more, not to mention his line mates who maybe haven't practiced with him.

I know the subject is an agree/disagree spot, and maybe Wells will be out there this week and the debate ends. :crossed:

With all due respect...we're reaching the point where people are just repeating the obvious things as if they were forwarding the discussion. So I say he knows the system, and someone says how, and I say he has been there all along, and then you change the subject away from knowing the system to reps.

So. Everything you say there we knew about and accounted for when the subject came up in the first place. I said then I was not as concerned as you. There's no "news" that changes that--I knew all the news.

I interpreted it all differently than you do, is all. Which of course happens on something where there can be differing views.

We know about everything you list there. Those are the basics of the discussion--given THOSE facts (didn't rep, you want cohesion), etc, what do we conclude?

And I concluded in the first place, knowing all those things and having heard those arguments already, that I'm not concerned.

Could I be wrong? Sure. So could you. For that matter cause of something neither of us ever anticipated or thought of, we could both be wrong.

Given all the facts and all the considerations that everyone all knows already, no, I am not concerned about Wells and IMO think that there will be enough time for the OL to gel to the point where they will be prepared for the season. Because they WILL rep once he gets in, and yes it will be enough IMO. (Plus, even if the absolutely unexpected happens and he never comes in, I think Turner is a fine 2nd option anyway.)

I expect them to be around average this year and better next year.

It will take the season to get them to a point where they can cohere at a higher level. A few weeks in THIS preseason would not change that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
And I concluded in the first place, knowing all those things and having heard those arguments already, that I'm not concerned.
Unrelated - sorta...

How do you feel about the O-line depth? Concerned about that at all?

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Unrelated - sorta...

How do you feel about the O-line depth? Concerned about that at all?

Well...this is kind of relative, but...it looks better than the last couple of years.

Turner, Ojinnaka. They're the main ones I guess. Back-up center, back up swing guy. If Watkins gets rolling he's potentially great depth at guard. Mattison has played. I don't know who the LOG from among those guys will be so that will have an effect on depth. As usual I think they could use another tackle. But then in 2008, Boudreau's left OT was split half a season each between 2 guys--underwhelming rookie Baker, and a career ROT, todd weiner. So I don't know if anyone really knows their depth at tackle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
With all due respect...we're reaching the point where people are just repeating the obvious things as if they were forwarding the discussion. So I say he knows the system, and someone says how, and I say he has been there all along, and then you change the subject away from knowing the system to reps.

So. Everything you say there we knew about and accounted for when the subject came up in the first place. I said then I was not as concerned as you. There's no "news" that changes that--I knew all the news.

I interpreted it all differently than you do, is all. Which of course happens on something where there can be differing views.

We know about everything you list there. Those are the basics of the discussion--given THOSE facts (didn't rep, you want cohesion), etc, what do we conclude?

Could I be wrong? Sure. So could you. For that matter cause of something neither of us ever anticipated or thought of, we could both be wrong.

Given all the facts and all the considerations that everyone all knows already, no, I am not concerned about Wells and IMO think that there will be enough time for the OL to gel to the point where they will be prepared for the season. Because they WILL rep once he gets in, and yes it will be enough IMO. (Plus, even if the absolutely unexpected happens and he never comes in, I think Turner is a fine 2nd option anyway.)

It will take the season to get them to a point where they can cohere at a higher level. A few weeks in THIS preseason would not change that.

With all due respect? When did anyone but you try to confine this topic to knowing the system? Sorry - and this is just me speaking freely - but that gets really old. These topics and discussions have more to them than one narrowly defined aspect of someone's opinion. Argue your point - great. But telling someone they have changed the subject because they go beyond one specific aspect?

With this topic, I wasn't saying that the sky is falling or that Wells - being the veteran that he is - can't get up to speed quickly. If he knows the system, he can come along faster than if he never studied or saw it. But getting in there with Sam and the rest of the team on drills and reps is VERY important - IMO. I'm not sure how that is even deniable.

I'm not sitting here wringing my hands but I am concerned with the missed opportunities for this line to gel. I am also concerned because this unit needs a LOT of improvement in order to keep Sam from getting killed AND give him time to have some success. The QB/Center exchange happens on every play. The line calls must take into account a certain amount of familiarity with others along the line. If it were not the case, you would see far more veterans missing practice.

We are still reading mixed reports on both of our tackles. Guard is a bit up in the air. Hopefully it all comes together before the real games begin. But missing practices and reps simply delays that. Maybe you are fine with the line not gelling until next season. I'm guessing Sam's not.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Sometimes "Street Smart" is better than "Book Smart." We would all agree that film study, etc. is important in preparing for your opponent. But IMO, practicing is very important for developing timing, chemistry, and the other intangibles that makes a team play like a team.

That is, unless your Allen Iverson. :sly:

Just sayin.'

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
MontanaRamFan said:
Sometimes "Street Smart" is better than "Book Smart." Just sayin.'
I dunno. I could dig out my chemistry book and figure out how to annihilate an entire neighborhood of smart street guys.

:p

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
MontanaRamFan said:
Sometimes "Street Smart" is better than "Book Smart." We would all agree that film study, etc. is important in preparing for your opponent. But IMO, practicing is very important for developing timing, chemistry, and the other intangibles that makes a team play like a team.

That is, unless your Allen Iverson. :sly:

Just sayin.'

OH how I wanted to quote the infamous practice line. I refrained and I'm not really sure why.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
zn said:

With all due respect? When did anyone but you try to confine this topic to knowing the system? Sorry - and this is just me speaking freely - but that gets really old. These topics and discussions have more to them than one narrowly defined aspect of someone's opinion. Argue your point - great. But telling someone they have changed the subject because they go beyond one specific aspect?

With this topic, I wasn't saying that the sky is falling or that Wells - being the veteran that he is - can't get up to speed quickly. If he knows the system, he can come along faster than if he never studied or saw it. But getting in there with Sam and the rest of the team on drills and reps is VERY important - IMO. I'm not sure how that is even deniable.

I'm not sitting here wringing my hands but I am concerned with the missed opportunities for this line to gel. I am also concerned because this unit needs a LOT of improvement in order to keep Sam from getting killed AND give him time to have some success. The QB/Center exchange happens on every play. The line calls must take into account a certain amount of familiarity with others along the line. If it were not the case, you would see far more veterans missing practice.

We are still reading mixed reports on both of our tackles. Guard is a bit up in the air. Hopefully it all comes together before the real games begin. But missing practices and reps simply delays that. Maybe you are fine with the line not gelling until next season. I'm guessing Sam's not.
+1
Even if we do assume that Wells won't have a problem learning the system, there's still all the interaction on the line; the chemistry with his teammates that won't start in any meaningful way until he gets on the field with them. If that's changing the subject, so be it.
I'd rather not go back to :beating: of Well's preparedness.

Anonymous

Honestly.

Everyone knows about the importance of reps. It's not a new topic. It hasn't been neglected by the more optimistic brethern. Everyone is looking at the exact same things and just drawing different conclusions from it.

This is one of the best OL coaches in the biz. He has done well with less. Wells is a tried and true old pro. Turner is a very capable back up anyway. And this offense will not be a case of naked, one on one blocking situations--more than we're used to even, OL performance this time will depend a LOT on a mix of strategies, scheming, and playcalling.

It's just not a major problem. Wells getting reps. He will when he does and it will be fine.

And he is not going to have a problem learning the system. Heck Boudreau made a player out of Romberg in 2006 and he didn't even join the team until the season was underway. He did fine that year. Had no problem calling the protections, once the 2006 OL got over being banged up and changing every week cause of injuries.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
Honestly.

Everyone knows about the importance of reps. It's not a new topic. It hasn't been neglected by the more optimistic brethern. Everyone is looking at the exact same things and just drawing different conclusions from it.

This is one of the best OL coaches in the biz. He has done well with less. Wells is a tried and true old pro. Turner is a very capable back up anyway. And this offense will not be a case of naked, one on one blocking situations--more than we're used to even, OL performance this time will depend a LOT on a mix of strategies, scheming, and playcalling.

It's just not a major problem. Wells getting reps. He will when he does and it will be fine.

And he is not going to have a problem learning the system. Heck Boudreau made a player out of Romberg in 2006 and he didn't even join the team until the season was underway. He did fine that year. Had no problem calling the protections, once the 2006 OL got over being banged up and changing every week cause of injuries.

Well I will agree with the bolded part for sure unless (and hopefully not) proven wrong. I have said many times that scheme had a fair amount to do with what we saw last year. Combine that with the unreal injuries and fuhgettaboutit.

Not sure that Romberg was calling the protections but that may be because I don't remember anyone bringing that up back then. It has been pretty front and center with Wells.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
zn said:
Honestly.

Well I will agree with the bolded part for sure unless (and hopefully not) proven wrong. I have said many times that scheme had a fair amount to do with what we saw last year. Combine that with the unreal injuries and fuhgettaboutit.

Not sure that Romberg was calling the protections but that may be because I don't remember anyone bringing that up back then. It has been pretty front and center with Wells.

Well there's 2 choices on calling protections. It's either the qb or the center. We do know the norm (by far) is to have the center make those calls. We know that that's how it works in Linehan's offense with the Lions.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/scouting_report_dominic_raiola_1.html

One of Raiola's strengths is recognizing and reacting to shifting defenses and putting the line into the right line call or protection.

So that would presumably extend to Romberg in St, Louis.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
Well there's 2 choices on calling protections. It's either the qb or the center. We do know the norm (by far) is to have the center make those calls. We know that that's how it works in Linehan's offense with the Lions.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/scouting_report_dominic_raiola_1.html

One of Raiola's strengths is recognizing and reacting to shifting defenses and putting the line into the right line call or protection.

So that would presumably extend to Romberg in St, Louis.

Actually - WE don't. :cheese: Good info though. I have never really thought about it that much until the Wells talk. So I'll just take what you're saying here and hope it plays out.