Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does anyone know ANYTHING about what is keeping Wells out of practice? I realize he had his knee scoped but I thought he was supposed to be back for the start of training camp. Seems like there is more to this than anyone is letting on. Everyone has said this was one of the key FA acquisitions for the Rams. I thought it was a major coup for them to pull him from GB. Now I have to wonder.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Sometimes teams don't give too much info on players injury...Bill Belichik usually never does I guess it all apart of an "competive advantage" Ben Rothliberger* got injuried last season against the ravens and everyone JUST found out a week ago

bluecoconuts

Legend
He had a knee scope, it wasn't major. But he had a hectic offseason and wasn't able to rehab it properly which set him back a little bit. They're just being careful and getting him worked in really slowly so there isn't a major issue before the season comes along or in the opening weeks.

At least that's what Fisher said, coaches always keep injury information close to their chests.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
Does anyone know ANYTHING about what is keeping Wells out of practice? I realize he had his knee scoped but I thought he was supposed to be back for the start of training camp. Seems like there is more to this than anyone is letting on. Everyone has said this was one of the key FA acquisitions for the Rams. I thought it was a major coup for them to pull him from GB. Now I have to wonder.

No they have spoken up on it plenty.

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, July 31.

Wells had knee surgery, but how serious was it and what is his recuperation time? thanks for answering all of our questions,

WAGONER: It wasn't a serious knee surgery. It was more of a knee scope. Here's the thing and I want to warn that I can't give you the full answer right now: But Wells had his surgery and then he had a very busy offseason that kept him from being able to do the proper rehab which is why he isn't fully ready to go right now. The reasons for the missed rehab are very good ones and I promise I'll explain it soon enough but just know that he'll be fine and should be back up and ready to go fairly soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not like I wanted him to rush back in when he's not ready. I just hadn't caught the part about him not being able to do the proper rehab. Not sure what a busy off season would mean. And honestly not sure I really care for an explanation as to why the business was somehow not football related.

Sure hope he gets some reps in with Sam before the season starts. I suppose we have a decent back-up in Turner. I was just hoping we had real help for Sam in Wells. Still hoping.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
It's not like I wanted him to rush back in when he's not ready. I just hadn't caught the part about him not being able to do the proper rehab. Not sure what a busy off season would mean. And honestly not sure I really care for an explanation as to why the business was somehow not football related.

Sure hope he gets some reps in with Sam before the season starts. I suppose we have a decent back-up in Turner. I was just hoping we had real help for Sam in Wells. Still hoping.

Fisher gave him a leave of absence. That's all we need to know. Unless you think Fisher is lax on discipline and just lets players cavort around at will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Could be a family issue or something for all we know. At any rate, every missed day is one less day with Bradford.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Could be a family issue or something for all we know. At any rate, every missed day is one less day with Bradford.
Also, every missed day delays the Oline's cohesion. Perhaps that's not as big with LG still being sorted out, but it would be nice to have C, RG and RT set.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's a legitimate concern he's missing valuable practice time, whether the lost time is excused or a holdout it's the same .

I hope he gets in soon

Anonymous

I think the whole "missing Wells means less cohesion" thing is overblown.

It's like looking for something to worry about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:

Nah, it's a legitimate concern. You have two scenarios

1. He's there from day one and that ever-important QB-Center connection is being repped and repped and repped. Plus Wells is getting acclimated with the offense (because he's in charge of line calls now).

2. He's not there.

I agree it's not a huge problem right now, but if he were to miss an extended amount of time, then it could be an issue.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:

1. He's there from day one and that ever-important QB-Center connection is being repped and repped and repped. Plus Wells is getting acclimated with the offense (because he's in charge of line calls now).

2. He's not there.

I agree it's not a huge problem right now, but if he were to miss an extended amount of time, then it could be an issue.

I think it's an exaggerated concern as of right now.

Unless someone has a tried and true formula for "missed days by a lineman equals this much diminished cohesion."

We;ve seen situations before where a lineman reporting late, or starting later in the season, had no such effect

I would say, just guess-timating it, if they have at least 3 weeks together before the season, it'll do.

I was also thinking that giving Turner some time with the ones is actually beneficial in the longrun.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

2. He's not there.

Unless someone has a tried and true formula for "missed days by a lineman equals this much diminished cohesion."

We;ve seen situations before where a lineman reporting late, or starting later in the season, had no such effect

I would say, just guess-timating it, if they have at least 3 weeks together before the season, it'll do.

I was also thinking that giving Turner some time with the ones is actually beneficial in the longrun.
I'd agree if we were just talking about *linemen*, but center is more important in this scheme. It's THE most important position from what I'm reading. No longer is Bradford in charge of changing the plays at the line - it's the center. The exchange that happens on every play is between QB and Center. The most important relationship on offense is between QB & Center.

Is three weeks enough time? Yeah, could be. Is it detrimental (at all?) to be missing any time at this point in the season? Sure it is. I don't think anyone is in panic-mode right now, but ears are perking up now for good reason. And I'm sure it's not as big a deal for Fisher as it is for the common fan, because he has a better handle on things than we do obviously.

Right now it's just *a thing*.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

2. He's not there.

I'd agree if we were just talking about *linemen*, but center is more important in this scheme. It's THE most important position from what I'm reading. No longer is Bradford in charge of changing the plays at the line - it's the center. The exchange that happens on every play is between QB and Center. The most important relationship on offense is between QB & Center.

Is three weeks enough time? Yeah, could be. Is it detrimental (at all?) to be missing any time at this point in the season? Sure it is. I don't think anyone is in panic-mode right now, but ears are perking up now for good reason. And I'm sure it's not as big a deal for Fisher as it is for the common fan, because he has a better handle on things than we do obviously.

Except it's a veteran center of years standing and in fact he HAS missed time before in a Green Bay camp, if memory serves, and it didn't hamper them. Plus he's there in every meeting. Apparently he's also there at every practice. My bet is he and Turner have way open lines of communication, too.

IMO and all but, I think people's ears are perking up cause we're on hyper-over-attentive mode and that in fact, there's nothing real going on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

2. He's not there.

Except it's a veteran center of years standing and in fact he HAS missed time before in a Green Bay camp, if memory serves, and it didn't hamper them. Plus he's there in every meeting. Apparently he's also there at every practice. My bet is he and Turner have way open lines of communication, too.

IMO and all but, I think people's ears are perking up cause we're on hyper-over-attentive mode and that in fact, there's nothing real going on.
You mean the Green Bay system he was in his entire career?

Oh.

C'mon... let's be realistic. It's not a 'non-issue' at this point. If it was, nobody would be talking about it.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

2. He's not there.

You mean the Green Bay system he was in his entire career?

Oh.

C'mon... let's be realistic. It's not a 'non-issue' at this point. If it was, nobody would be talking about it.

A guy like Wells? He had the system down in May. :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
On paper? Maybe.

If we're both being serious, then we're going to have to agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that in this system, with this QB, and with everything being new, any missed time is an issue. Centers don't walk onto a team with all new linemen, new QB, new system, doesn't practice with them at all, and everything is rosey. That's just my opinion.

(on Jeff Saturday now in Green Bay)
For the first time in the McCarthy era, the Packers entered training camp with five set starters along the offensive line. There are no rotations under way and no competitions to judge. Center Jeff Saturday is new to the organization, but he is getting every practice repetition with the first team. [hil]Said offensive line coach James Campen: "Just from a familiarity standpoint, the communication, passing off stunts, getting a feel for the guys next to you, obviously that's more advantageous. The more reps that you get with the same guy side by side, it's is very helpful."[/hil]

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... al-packers

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
On paper? Maybe.

If we're both being serious, then we're going to have to agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that in this system, with this QB, and with everything being new, any missed time is an issue. Centers don't walk onto a team with all new linemen, new QB, new system, doesn't practice with them at all, and everything is rosey. That's just my opinion.

For the first time in the McCarthy era, the Packers entered training camp with five set starters along the offensive line. There are no rotations under way and no competitions to judge. Center Jeff Saturday is new to the organization, but he is getting every practice repetition with the first team. [hil]Said offensive line coach James Campen: "Just from a familiarity standpoint, the communication, passing off stunts, getting a feel for the guys next to you, obviously that's more advantageous. The more reps that you get with the same guy side by side, it's is very helpful."[/hil]

But...don't we all know that kind of thing?

And knowing that kind of thing, I still say it's not an issue.

To me it;s just not. I think concerns are exaggerated in this case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
On paper? Maybe.

Okie dokie then. You're not worried, I'm a little concerned.

10 paces? I choose flame-throwers.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
On paper? Maybe.

Okie dokie then. You're not worried, I'm a little concerned.

10 paces? I choose flame-throwers.

Flame throwers? Henh.

Not concerned.