Schottenheimer Out Shanahan In Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hire
Kyle Shanahan OC
158821835.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Restructure/Extension
Sam Bradford - 2 years $18 million($9 million first year)
Total Cap Savings: $4 million
Total Cap Room: $7.6 million

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $18.7 million
Total Cap Room: $26.3 million

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 4 years $20 million($5 million first year)
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $7.8 million
Total Cap Room: $18.5 million

Free Agency
Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Douzable is a rotational DT that can step into the run stuffer role and is even capable of playing some DE when needed.

Clint Boling OL
boling120120_440.jpg

4 years $18 million($4.5 million first year)

Andy Dalton has been one of the least pressured and sacked QBs in the NFL this year and Jeremy Hill has had a strong year as a runner behind the Bengals OL. Boling has started the majority of his games at LG but moved over to RT for a couple games when he was needed. He's a versatile player that can play either OG spot and RT when needed. Isn't an elite talent but he's a solid starting OG.

Ryan Harris OT
USATSI_8146714_168380439_lowres-300x200.jpg

1 year $1 million

Continuing to add depth to the OL because of our rotten luck with injuries. Has experience in Shanny's blocking scheme.

John Conner FB
4934511827_aeefcd30ea.jpg

1 year $1 million

Kendricks departs via FA for a starting job elsewhere so we decide to move Harkey to TE full time in Kendricks's old role and bring in John Conner to play FB for us.

Josh Freeman QB
nfl_i_freemanj_576.jpg

1 year $1 million

Think of this as like the Titus Young signing. We give no guaranteed money to Freeman. Hopefully, a year out of football has humbled him and he's ready to work. He's always had plenty of ability. Will compete for the #3 QB spot.

Trades
St. Louis trades HB Zac Stacy
Tennessee trades 6th round pick(#2)

St. Louis trades 3rd round pick(#8)
Tampa Bay trades QB Mike Glennon and 4th round pick(#10)

Stacy trade has been in nearly every one of my mocks. I think it would be smart to trade him this off-season while he has value.

We recoup our fourth round pick from the Barron deal and grab Glennon with our 3rd round pick. I still think he's the best (realistic) option behind Bradford if we can't get one of the top two QBs in the draft. I don't think it makes much sense for TB to turn this deal down when they're bringing in a rookie starter and have McCown as the veteran backup.(Credit to Memphis Ram for the idea)

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - T.J. Clemmings OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHskA1dtKM

Analysis: Clemmings is a freak of nature in terms of physical gifts. He also is a perfect fit for Shanahan's ZBS. Clemmings could fit in either scheme but his mobility, balance, and cut blocking ability make him very appealing to ZBS teams. Clemmings has the potential to be a devastating run blocker due to his raw power, top tier athleticism, and lower body explosion. As a pass blocker, Clemmings is a natural and has improved significantly in terms of technique throughout the year. He still has some issues to iron out but the kid has sky high potential. The two biggest issues I see from him are that he involves his head in his punch which leads to him getting off balance and opening himself up to swim moves and he needs to work on his hand placement when punching. He's more of a puncher than a grabber but I'd still like to see him work on locking onto the defender. Still, this is a kid with limitless potential because of his off the charts physical tools.

Round 2 Pick #9 - Cameron Erving C/OG Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-CJ0URg4is

Analysis: I love A.J. Cann as a prospect but with us signing Boling and moving to a ZBS, I think Erving makes a lot of sense here. Erving has really come on since he moved to Center and I think he'll do well on the interior in the NFL. I didn't like him at LT but he's looked very natural at Center and has never lacked the physical talent. Erving has the power to move defenders at the POA and anchor in pass protection. Erving has great feet and agility for a guy with his size(6'5" 310). He'd give us a major threat as a pulling OG or C. If Barrett Jones and Rhaney aren't ready or capable of starting, Erving plays Center. If they are, Erving steps in at OG and Boling is our 6th OL.

Round 4 Pick #10 - Devontae Booker HB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWqcWe_N6e4

Analysis: Some may not be on board with a HB but I've always been of the opinion that you draft talent and there isn't a better talent available here. Devontae Booker is the PERFECT fit for Shanahan's one cut ZBS scheme. That is Booker's game. He's a decisive one cut runner that reads his blocks and presses the LOS extremely well. He's quick to and through the hole, slippery due to his great balance, and is very explosive to the first and second level. Booker also has outstanding hands showing off the ability to adjust to poor throws and bail his QB out in the passing game. He's an ideal fit to pair with Tre Mason in our new offense. Booker transferred to Utah this year from a JUCO and promptly ran for 1500+ yards. He's a kid who still has plenty of room to grow but shows off great skills in the most important areas...namely the skills related to "vision".

Round 5 Pick #9 - Sean Hickey OT/OG Syracuse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8E8f6ENg8E

Analysis: If we were still running a PBS, I wouldn't draft Hickey but he's a great fit for a ZBS offense. Hickey is an experienced and intelligent kid who doesn't standout athletically but is very sound and very intelligent. He has been very consistent this year and even held Vic Beasley sackless. Hickey possesses a strong upper body which makes it very difficult for defenders to disengage once he locks on in both the run and passing game. Hickey also looks to have the lateral agility to play OT at the NFL level although he likely lacks the length to become a long term starter at LT. Hickey has an easy, smooth kick-slide with good balance and natural ability to mirror as well as great positioning and awareness of where his QB is in the pocket. Hickey gives great effort from down to down. I know what you're asking, why is he still available? Hickey lacks strength and size in the lower body. His anchor is not NFL caliber currently and he really needs to add strength and bulk below the belt. As I said earlier, he's also an average athlete who doesn't possess outstanding length and doesn't have the size to play in a PBS. Still, this is a kid who would provide excellent depth and has starting potential down the road at OG or RT.(at minimum, he's a talented swing OT)

Round 6 Pick #2 - J.T. Surratt DT South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFCy6-F5y8

Analysis: J.T. Surratt is a great kid that any team would be lucky to have. He'll take over the run stuffer role behind Brockers and Donald in our rotation in the defense. Him and Douzable should provide us with good DT depth. Surratt is a short, squatty player at 6'2" 310 who plays with a consistently hot motor, uses his natural leverage well, and anchors in very effectively. He's extremely difficult to move in the run game and has good awareness of where the ball carrier is. He's also one of South Carolina's defensive leaders and known for being one of the smartest guys on the team. He's the guy that makes sure all the young guys know the defense and works with them if they don't. Surratt doesn't offer much as a pass rusher because he lacks the length and explosion but that won't be his role in the NFL and isn't what we need him for.

Round 7 Pick #31 - J.J. Nelson WR/KR UAB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34KWtpfzAQ

Analysis: With this being the late 7th round, I usually look for a player that can fill a certain role for our team. J.J. Nelson returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in 2014. He led the NCAA in average yards per kickoff return. Nelson is listed at 5'11" 160 but possesses breathtaking speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with a 4.2 40. I saw him run right by Phillip Gaines who ran in the mid 4.3s in a game. Nelson has rare speed, impressive cutting ability, and good balance which makes him a very dangerous returnman. However, the guy also actually has some WR skills that could allow him to challenge Givens's role as the situational deep threat. Even if he doesn't, this kid has potential to be a special teams dynamo. Bennie has done a great job on KRs this year but I'd love to get a guy who could take it to the house.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: John Conner
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Clint Boling
C: Cameron Erving
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: T.J. Clemmings

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: J.J. Nelson
PR: Tavon Austin

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I forgot Josh Freeman even existed. He started off with a lot of promise in TB. Promise is all it turned out to be. It sounded as though he didn't want to put in the time. I'd pass on this one.

I like the attention and resources spent on the oline. Quite a few new faces.
I like that Jones has been scratched from starting center. If he couldn't show enough to start over Wells playing with a bad arm, I doubt he has what it takes.

I'm on board with the trade for Glennon. I'd be comfortable starting him behind a solid line with a great run game.

The HB is still throwing me off a bit. Even with Kendricks gone. Don't you think we could get solid blocking TE cheap in FA?

I'm also on board with drafting a return man. I miss Tony Horn.

I know it's not a great draft for Qbs. Maybe someone with legitimate potential will fall to the 4th rnd. Probably wishful thinking with the qb talent in this draft.
I would prefer a rookie compete with Davis for the qb3.

Other than Freeman. I like this draft the best so far.

I appreciate the work you put in on these. Interesting and enjoyable.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot Josh Freeman even existed. He started off with a lot of promise in TB. Promise is all it turned out to be. It sounded as though he didn't want to put in the time. I'd pass on this one.

If he doesn't want to put in the time here, he's gone. No guaranteed money...playing for the #3 QB spot. Figure he can't be any worse than a guy like Clemens or Davis or Gilbert if he's motivated. If not, he's cut and we owe him nothing. He put up a couple solid years as a starter...has some ability. Figured I'd kick the tires to see if he's been humbled and if the right situation(Fisher) could help him resurrect his career.

I like the attention and resources spent on the oline. Quite a few new faces.
I like that Jones has been scratched from starting center. If he couldn't show enough to start over Wells playing with a bad arm, I doubt he has what it takes.

Scratched on paper...but I wouldn't be surprised if he won the competition and started. I think Wells being out there had more to do with stubbornness than ability.

The HB is still throwing me off a bit. Even with Kendricks gone. Don't you think we could get solid blocking TE cheap in FA?

Don't need to. Harkey is the blocking TE and Conner takes over the FB role. The HB is simply BPA. That kid is beyond underrated. This HB class is stacked which will help us.

I know it's not a great draft for Qbs. Maybe someone with legitimate potential will fall to the 4th rnd. Probably wishful thinking with the qb talent in this draft.
I would prefer a rookie compete with Davis for the qb3.

That's why I signed Freeman. Figured he had some potential. Winston and Mariota aren't falling to the 4th and neither is Hundley. Just a really sucky QB class. I only have 6 guys with draftable grades. They are:
1. Winston - Top 3
2. Mariota - Top 10
3. Hundley - 3rd
4. Petty - 4th
5. Carden - 5th/6th
6. Grayson - 5th/6th

Can't evaluate Chris Bonner so I don't know if he'd be on the list or not.

My player comparisons would be:
Winston -> Brett Favre
Mariota -> Rich man's Alex Smith(much more physically talented)
Hundley -> Jason Campbell
Petty -> Drew Stanton
Carden -> Bruce Gradkowski
Grayson -> Brian Hoyer

Other than Freeman. I like this draft the best so far.

I appreciate the work you put in on these. Interesting and enjoyable.

I appreciate the comments. Even when I don't see eye to eye, I still consider it an opportunity to learn something. Every person here has a unique outlook worth understanding...except -X-. ;)

FRO

Legend
I like you went offensive line early and often. I love Shanahan as our OC. I always thought Bradford was a perfect fit in that system. My only concern is how Greg Robinson would fit in the ZBS.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Would be a huge fan of Kyle Shanahan hoping Fisher goes in that direction, but concerned his Dad will become Head Coach in Oakland and Kyle will go there. Also I want no part of Josh Freeman could never and still can't hit the broad side of the barn. Granted when he hits it the ball goes through it, however, he could not even stick with the Giants as a camp arm.

As to the draft would rather go WR in the 4th than RB, however, depends on who is available. Love how you totally fixed the offensive line, but I'm starting to warm up to Bryce Petty I don't think he's Drew Stanton, he might just be Tony Romo.

FRO

Legend
Would be a huge fan of Kyle Shanahan hoping Fisher goes in that direction, but concerned his Dad will become Head Coach in Oakland and Kyle will go there. Also I want no part of Josh Freeman could never and still can't hit the broad side of the barn. Granted when he hits it the ball goes through it, however, he could not even stick with the Giants as a camp arm.

As to the draft would rather go WR in the 4th than RB, however, depends on who is available. Love how you totally fixed the offensive line, but I'm starting to warm up to Bryce Petty I don't think he's Drew Stanton, he might just be Tony Romo.
I'm not so sure Kyle wants to work with his dad. He may want to get out of his shadow and make a name for himself.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not so sure Kyle wants to work with his dad. He may want to get out of his shadow and make a name for himself.

I concur and that what was being put out there after his father was fired, but if Mike Shanahan is hired in Oakland or Chicago we'll. see? IMO, the younger Shanhan would be a great match with Fisher because Fisher and the elder Shanahan are close and you would Kyle would want to be his own guy, but again I realize he took a job when his father did not have one it remains to be seen if he takes a job if his Dad is running the show again.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I see a contender with that team, along with a lot of room to grow.

My only concern is that besides Cook, we have no receiving TEs to attack the LBs and safeties. Maybe Bayer steps up, maybe not. Bradford likes throwing to TEs though, so preferably he gets a solid target there besides Cook.

Everything else is beautiful. QB fixed. OL now a strength. Great backfield, plenty of DL depth, all good to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rumors are that Del Rio is getting the Oakland job.

I'd think a Shanahan mock draft would involve QB Kurt Cousins over Glennon.

I don't want Cousins.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rumors are that Del Rio is getting the Oakland job.

And that would be just like Oakland who hired the Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen two years go....So get ready for these signs from Raider fans three years from now:

Blame it on Rio!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that would be just like Oakland so get ready for these signs from Raider fans three years from now:

Blame it on Rio!

Eh. Jack Del Rio is basically Jeff Fisher.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Eh. Jack Del Rio is basically Jeff Fisher.

Nah Fisher's smarter and a better Head Coach IMO, but he's done nothing for Ram fans to this point as to actually winning more games than he loses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah Fisher's smarter and a better Head Coach IMO, but he's done nothing for Ram fans to this point as to actually winning more games than he loses.

They're basically the same guy. Player's coach that forms a tight bond with their players but some would argue they're too easy on them. Defensive minded guys that aren't really brilliant Xs and Os coaches. Team plays up and down to competition. Will beat teams you didn't expect and then lose to teams you thought they'd definitely beat. Both are conservative and pretty average game managers.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
10: R1P10
QB MARCUS MARIOTA
OREGON
41: R2P9
WR DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM
MISSOURI
72: R3P8
G LAKEN TOMLINSON
DUKE
137: R5P9
CB QUANDRE DIGGS
TEXAS
202: R7P10
OT TYRUS THOMPSON

paceram

Pro Bowler
10: R1P10
QB MARCUS MARIOTA
OREGON
41: R2P9
WR DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM
MISSOURI
72: R3P8
G LAKEN TOMLINSON
DUKE
137: R5P9
CB QUANDRE DIGGS
TEXAS
202: R7P10
OT TYRUS THOMPSON

I would be thrilled if that ended up being the Rams Draft but I will be totally shocked if Mariota lasts until the 10th pick and DGB is still available at #41! And, I will be honest - I don't know anything about Diggs or Thompson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thompson will go higher but I don't want him. Tons of physical talent but he's mentally soft and gives a really shitty effort in the run game.

I also think the chances that Mariota falls to #10 are slim to none. But would be good for us if he did.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Even if the Rams trade for Glennon I want to see them draft a QB. Either trade up for one of the top two, or move down, accrue picks, and take a QB they think has a future in the NFL. They can easily go OL with the first pick after a small trade down, and then pray Petty is there in the second round. Or simply take him after the trade down and use the pick received to take another OL for depth.

Denver is going to be a problem in the draft IMO. They are going to be on the prowl for a QB and where they're picking is ideal for nabbing the guys who we would expect to go in the second round range. I know you have Petty later than I do, but barring a very poor pro day and/or problematic practices for the college all star games I don't think he gets by Denver.

Then you also have New England. Not sure what they think in-house of their QB of the future but he may find himself traded if they see someone else they like. Belichick is clearly planning on having someone ready when Brady starts showing his age, whenever that might happen.

The key in FA in my estimation is the OL. The Rams will hit it hard in FA to ensure they're not desperate for the position in the draft, so they should have no problems adding a QB. It has to happen, IMO.

Ramathon

Even if the Rams trade for Glennon I want to see them draft a QB. Either trade up for one of the top two, or move down, accrue picks, and take a QB they think has a future in the NFL. They can easily go OL with the first pick after a small trade down, and then pray Petty is there in the second round. Or simply take him after the trade down and use the pick received to take another OL for depth.

Denver is going to be a problem in the draft IMO. They are going to be on the prowl for a QB and where they're picking is ideal for nabbing the guys who we would expect to go in the second round range. I know you have Petty later than I do, but barring a very poor pro day and/or problematic practices for the college all star games I don't think he gets by Denver.

Then you also have New England. Not sure what they think in-house of their QB of the future but he may find himself traded if they see someone else they like. Belichick is clearly planning on having someone ready when Brady starts showing his age, whenever that might happen.

The key in FA in my estimation is the OL. The Rams will hit it hard in FA to ensure they're not desperate for the position in the draft, so they should have no problems adding a QB. It has to happen, IMO.

What do you see in Petty that you like so much? I'm no talent evaluator by any stretch, but I will read a number of reviews on players whose names keep popping up and try to get a feel for a general consensus on a player's potential. And the first 3 ratings I read on BP all put him at 3rd-4th round pick. Combine that with a couple injuries this past season (concussion & 2 broken transverses in his back - pretty much the injury Romo had), and he begins to scare me. A young dude with back problems.(???) Don't like the sound of that.

I agree with your thoughts on OL in FA. I would expect Fisher to go to that well to address the OL. I think he took GRob high last year only because everybody and their uncle thought GR was extra special. But, despite less than stellar results from previous OL FA's they've brought in, I think Fisher prefers vets over rookies on the OL. Actually, given that none of the young, already on the roster, 'kids' could get on the field the last couple games ahead of Wells/Joseph, that notion seems pretty much a slam dunk...unless none of the kids really have any potential.