SB Key? Running from shotgun.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This is more of a question for some of the better football minds on here... is going from shotgun the best way to neutralize a team that likes to run-blitz on first down?
Was listening to a podcast that really focused on the Bengals D.. and that's one of the tendencies they seem to have.... and that had me wondering about this. The Rams started to run out of SG more this year... my thinking was it makes that run blitz more risky if Stafford is in the gun.. so they may not crowd the line.

Is this thinking off?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everyone run blitzes on early downs, first off. It's usually a check or series of them that relate to formation/down/distance and nowadays probably statistics as well (gameplanned for that opponent obviously). We did a ton of that vs the 9ers for example and I'm willing to bet more than Cincy did in any of their games.

But specific to running the ball in shotgun I will say you need some things to really make it work. First you need a back who is comfortable with that type of handoff. Some backs need to be deeper with the field of vision and/or aren't comfortable with that type of handoff in terms of maximizing what they can do. Secondly it's more potent if the RB is a great pass blocker, and this is magnified even more if you delay the handoff which forces the defense to play their pass call. This is why I keep saying we should run draws with Michel because everyone knows he's a fucking tank in pass pro. Then of course you need good OL or there won't be any room to run but that sort of goes without saying.

One other thing is both the Bengals and Rams are deceitful in what they do, in terms of how it is presented to the defense. McVay's illusion of complexity line applies here. So I don't think running a ton of run blitzes is wise vs either of these offenses. And when you add on top of that the fact that both these teams prefer to throw the ball, well, I feel like the run blitz option is only gonna be useful in those obvious situations.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Oh how I'd love to see the Rams run a couple surprise I formation plays against this Bengal offensive line. Stafford under center, Shelton as FB, Big Blanton at TE and Michel attacking the middle. :censored:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I sure hope the Rams do not intend to run a lot out of shotgun. I positively hate it. Wish it were gone from the playbook for the most part.
Sure it works sometimes just like McVays 40 yard passes from our 25 on third and a yard.
The RB simply does not have any momentum out of shotgun. It looks like a high school offense to me, wildcat type BS.
Myself, I would like to see McVay do a surprise play on 3rd and short. Put Cam or Sony 7 yards deep in the "I" with Blanton at FB. Ala John Robinson and ED.
NFL defenses ended running out of the I years ago. When is the last time they had a dose of it ? How would they respond. Do it McVay, just a couple times and see what happens. I think Cam would love it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I sure hope the Rams do not intend to run a lot out of shotgun. I positively hate it. Wish it were gone from the playbook for the most part.
Sure it works sometimes just like McVays 40 yard passes from our 25 on third and a yard.
The RB simply does not have any momentum out of shotgun. It looks like a high school offense to me, wildcat type BS.
Myself, I would like to see McVay do a surprise play on 3rd and short. Put Cam or Sony 7 yards deep in the "I" with Blanton at FB. Ala John Robinson and ED.
NFL defenses ended running out of the I years ago. When is the last time they had a dose of it ? How would they respond. Do it McVay, just a couple times and see what happens. I think Cam would love it.

Did you just rip me off ? :mad:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Did you just rip me off ? :mad:
I don't think so. Its known here that I hate running out of the gun. That opinion that I just gave is a long time one with me. Had it for years. Thought about it a LOT. So I said it.
I think the Rams are going to kill the Bengals. If their coach does not hold them back.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think so. Its known here that I hate running out of the gun. That opinion that I just gave is a long time one with me. Had it for years. Thought about it a LOT. So I said it.
I think the Rams are going to kill the Bengals. If their coach does not hold them back.

Well sorry, I wasn't aware of your long held belief, but coming immediately after my own post does seem a bit suspicious.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Well sorry, I wasn't aware of your long held belief, but coming immediately after my own post does seem a bit suspicious.
I can recite the entire starting Rams offense and defense from the 79 Super Bowl. So yeah, long held belief. Any opinions I have are all my own. But you are thinking along the same lines so..........you are smart.
I want to throw up when I see 3rd and 1 and Stafford back there by himself.
I believe I remember your from STL Todays old board ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I can recite the entire starting Rams offense and defense from the 79 Super Bowl. So yeah, long held belief. Any opinions I have are all my own. But you are thinking along the same lines so..........you are smart.
I want to throw up when I see 3rd and 1 and Stafford back there by himself.
I believe I remember your from STL Todays old board ?

True enough, we were there, for a longer time than I care to remember considering the mods and how the place went to hell eventually.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Oh how I'd love to see the Rams run a couple surprise I formation plays against this Bengal offensive line. Stafford under center, Shelton as FB, Big Blanton at TE and Michel attacking the middle. :censored:
The 9ers were using the I formation a ton during the playoffs and looked unstoppable but then they have the best FB in all football. I have been hoping that we would draft a FB but it never materialised

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The 9ers were using the I formation a ton during the playoffs and looked unstoppable but then they have the best FB in all football. I have been hoping that we would draft a FB but it never materialised

Yeah, I had wanted to draft Ben Mason, then later wanted to steal him off the Patriots practice squad. Lately, and long after Mundt went down, the Rams have actually adapted somewhat going with the occasional big jumbo 6'th man offensive lineman in a TE/FB role. It wasn't very effective with Evans or Noteboom, but Coleman Shelton handled it better imo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
C’mon man!! Let’s run the wishbone!!

Shelton at FB with Akers and Sony at HB THAT WILL REALLY JACK THEM UP!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Sony would be a mean fullback. He is extremely physical just has shitty hands. Skow would also be good in that role, as McVay can interchange him run to pass.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would rather see the I also but doubt we do. I have long wanted to see more delayed draws and who knows maybe we do. The run out of shotgun is so hard on the RB delayed read & recognition and no momentum make it tough. I would rather see a pitch but honestly if we can just block and get 4 - 6 on first down runs we are off to the races. If our play action is working we are very difficult to defend.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I had wanted to draft Ben Mason, then later wanted to steal him off the Patriots practice squad. Lately, and long after Mundt went down, the Rams have actually adapted somewhat going with the occasional big jumbo 6'th man offensive lineman in a TE/FB role. It wasn't very effective with Evans or Noteboom, but Coleman Shelton handled it better imo.
Me too, I was with you all the way on Mason

Shelton could well be a starter next season. Yet another great find coached up to play

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This is more of a question for some of the better football minds on here... is going from shotgun the best way to neutralize a team that likes to run-blitz on first down?
Was listening to a podcast that really focused on the Bengals D.. and that's one of the tendencies they seem to have.... and that had me wondering about this. The Rams started to run out of SG more this year... my thinking was it makes that run blitz more risky if Stafford is in the gun.. so they may not crowd the line.

Is this thinking off?

I'd love to see more of that if they insist on playing same defense that they played primarily against KC....
Me personally I always wanted some more draw plays or toss left/rt so I'd like to see some of those as well and some jet sweeps with Obj when the Bengals go to this rush 3. Be cool to send some deep verticals draw everyone away and get a screen off or a draw on couple jet sweeps etc gain some chunks or more. Then again that's why I'm not a coach lol.

I'm for check and checkmate whatever it takes to win. As I'm sure we all are damn it!!!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think if the Bengals take the same approach that they did against the Chiefs and drop 8 into coverage you can bet mcVay will exploit that. The chiefs lost because they got pass happy and refused to run the ball against a 3 man front