San Bernardino shooting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
As long as it stays civil, we should be ok..... maybe. :cool:

As a rule we don't allow political or religious threads. Where the line gets fuzzy to me is at what point the thread is about that and when it merely contains the two. I tend to start thinking about locking the thread when it threatens to become emotional.
This is about the only place to find civil discussion it seems.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have the California codes up on my computer. I'm trying to find anything that says that the bullet button or similar feature waives the "Generic Characteristics" section of the code. I have never actually operated a gun with a bullet button. Even the name makes it seem completely ridiculous though. Because you can operate the mag release with a recessed button it is ok? You gotta admit - that's pretty moronic. And once you release the mag and insert a 30 round clip, that gun is illegal so....

Apparently, the rifle my dad was forced to give up was a pre-ban AR that they made people register in order to keep and then decided to change that law as well. So even though the rifle really is no different in capabilities than those not on the list, it is considered illegal and must be forfeited. Cuzzzzzzz that makes sense.

Trust me, the bullet button makes it no longer qualified as an assault weapon, because it means that there is no longer a detachable magazine. Even though, yes the magazine is detachable, because it requires a tool, it's considered okay. The bullet button is actually something new and the law was pretty fuzzy until just a few years ago. The name comes from the fact that a tip of a bullet can be the "tool" that allows the magazine to be detached. It's a fuzzy workaround to the law, but it's the way the law is now... If not that my work is selling a lot of illegal cops, and given that LAPD has a permanent range set up here, and we have had plenty of lawyers make sure that we're okay, at the ATF doing spot-checks constantly, I know it's legal. Inserting a 30 round magazine does make it illegal though, same as removing the bulletbutton.

Also, if your dad bought his AR before the ban and it was registered in CA, he didn't actually have to give it up. They just made it seem that way, but it wasn't the case. He just had to make sure it was registered in CA before the deadline (1999 I believe), and he would be okay to use it still. Unless he was out of state.

From my understanding, they are not approving any new handguns that are capable of accepting hi-cap mags. I'm only going by what I have read. The new testing requirements are pretty vague.

They are, because otherwise that would essentially mean that no semi-autos would be on the roster, and while CA loves to push the envelope, it's pretty unlikely that would fly in court. Additionally I'm quite certain that I would have heard about that one. Right now the big law they're trying to get on the ballot would require a special licence to purchase and sell ammo, which would drive up the costs and make it very difficult to get ammo.

Don't get what you mean here.

Most pistols can accept a magazine of basically any size.. My 229 for example could take a 500 round magazine stick as long as it was the right dimensions. So saying that they wont allow pistols that can accept any high capacity magazines, basically means they ban any semi-auto pistols, which leaves only revolvers left on the roster. That's not a law currently on the books, we can still buy handguns.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll have to ask my dad what the deal was with the AR.

I'll look to see if I can find the article about the pistol manufacturing issue. I don't recall exactly what they were saying. It just sounded awfully onerous and was resulting in new pistols that would NORMALLY be offered as hi-cap not being submitted for testing in CA because the testing program is very expensive and they likely wouldn't pass it.

Thanks for clearing up the other info. The bullet button exception seems to be a real joke. I was reading about that. It makes the mag non-detachable unless you happen to have a bullet to use as a tool. Why does this come to mind when I think of that?
upload_2015-12-5_21-12-41.png

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll have to ask my dad what the deal was with the AR.

I'll look to see if I can find the article about the pistol manufacturing issue. I don't recall exactly what they were saying. It just sounded awfully onerous and was resulting in new pistols that would NORMALLY be offered as hi-cap not being submitted for testing in CA because the testing program is very expensive and they likely wouldn't pass it.

Thanks for clearing up the other info. The bullet button exception seems to be a real joke. I was reading about that. It makes the mag non-detachable unless you happen to have a bullet to use as a tool. Why does this come to mind when I think of that?
View attachment 11333

It is really stupid, and again a lot of ways to get around that, it's just a pointless feel good law.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA was trying to pull something like that, but as far as I know there isn't anything. However a lot of companies aren't trying to get onto the roster anyway, they have decided it's not worth their time or money. So CA is screwed either way.

Hopefully I land that job in Switzerland.. I was talking to a guy there, and he said "Bring your guns man, there's a range we go it, it's wonderful! Plus once you own 9 guns, they figure you're responsible enough to legally own an automatic weapon, so I just got myself an MP5!"

I'm very jealous haha.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The left, while having their own government fears on some issues, believes the government is necessary and can do important things(EPA,FDA, many others)and my mistrust centers more on the corporate world and when that meets with the government.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, That's what got JFK assassinated.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is really stupid, and again a lot of ways to get around that, it's just a pointless feel good law.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA was trying to pull something like that, but as far as I know there isn't anything. However a lot of companies aren't trying to get onto the roster anyway, they have decided it's not worth their time or money. So CA is screwed either way.

Hopefully I land that job in Switzerland.. I was talking to a guy there, and he said "Bring your guns man, there's a range we go it, it's wonderful! Plus once you own 9 guns, they figure you're responsible enough to legally own an automatic weapon, so I just got myself an MP5!"

I'm very jealous haha.
Interesting gun law. Good luck on landing that job blue. And video of you shooting your new MP5 when you get it - yeah?

Cheers.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm probably crossing some lines here so I'll try to be careful. It's a tough issue and one that may be more appropriately addressed on something besides a football forum.
It is so very very complex. As a child of the 60's we had respect for all adults. You learned how to shoot, hunt, drive a car, it was all normal. This new world of family members killing friends and family, school shootings, mass shootings being a common everyday thing, our forefathers could not have seen this coming 225+/- years ago. If there was a time machine, I'd love to show Ben Franklin & Tom Jefferson the future, take them back to the drawing board and make damn sure they address the 2nd amendment appropriately because we as a nation have no clue how to make adjustments when necessary regarding guns.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is so very very complex. As a child of the 60's we had respect for all adults. You learned how to shoot, hunt, drive a car, it was all normal. This new world of family members killing friends and family, school shootings, mass shootings being a common everyday thing, our forefathers could not have seen this coming 225+/- years ago. If there was a time machine, I'd love to show Ben Franklin & Tom Jefferson the future, take them back to the drawing board and make damn sure they address the 2nd amendment appropriately because we as a nation have no clue how to make adjustments when necessary regarding guns.
Well that's a take. Personally, I don't think it would have changed a thing. But when you get that time machine we can test that theory. BTW - child of the 60s here too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Interesting gun law. Good luck on landing that job blue. And video of you shooting your new MP5 when you get it - yeah?

Cheers.

It's a long ways off, basically I'm trying to grab one at the CERN, but it's very hard to get. I've shot them before, they're a lot of fun, I just want to be able to enjoy that beautiful country and still be able to enjoy shooting. It's one of the best stress relievers in my opinion.