Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
People on the Bills board are losing their crap. It's quite hilarious to see other fans do it for a change

Agreed. It's nice to have things to get excited about.

The Bills came out of this real well. Watkins is better than Matthews, but not by a wide margin. Gaines is a solid CB. Then they add a second and third round pick. Quite the haul.

Not to say the Rams got screwed, because they had to make this move.

Disagree. Matthews has really dropped off in the last two years. Andy Reid was willing to let him go back to Philly and now Philly trades him to Buffalo, when they need weapons for Wentz. Jordan Matthews is not the same guy he was two years out of college. Do a search. Philly coaches were down on his effort, as we're KC coaches. The second was the only way to land a player of Watkins ability. Which would you rather have? A proven NFL top ten receiver or a second round pick that is a 50/50 gamble?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For this to be perfect, it needs to end in a contract extension along the way. Sammy Watkins is a legit top caliber NFL receiver.

We got THAT piece! I am STOKED!

But, his health is a concern and I seem to think I've been turned off by some of his social media along the way. So, there is some risk here which is why he was available.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sammy is definitely worth a second, even a first, when healthy. He hasn't been healthy though so giving a second for him on a contract year is very risky. We haven't had a legit #1 in almost a decade so even though I don't like the trade I totally understand why we did it. You bet your ass I'll be rooting for Sammy to have a big year.

Well, will give them credit for making a trade at this point in the offseason... doesn't happen often. Sad to see Gaines go but one injury riddle cb for an injury riddled WR.... we need a good wr more so might as well roll the dice on that i suppose. Could be a huge get by Snead.

He isn't injury prone. He had an injury that required surgery. He had to have a follow up on the same injury, after playing on it too soon.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. It's nice to have things to get excited about.

Disagree. Matthews has really dropped off in the last two years. Andy Reid was willing to let him go back to Philly and now Philly trades him to Buffalo, when they need weapons for Wentz. Jordan Matthews is not the same guy he was two years out of college. Do a search. Philly coaches were down on his effort, as we're KC coaches. The second was the only way to land a player of Watkins ability. Which would you rather have? A proven NFL top ten receiver or a second round pick that is a 50/50 gamble?

are you thinking of a different player? matthews has always been in philly until today.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
How long do you think it'll take for Goff and Watkins to develop some chemistry? Will having Woods on our squad help at all?

This team is going to compete this year! I love it!

*I would love if we could get Watkins into practice a few days, show him he's going to be something here. Then sign him to a two year deal that leaves him open to get a monster contract after the 2018-19 season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Inside-the-Sammy-Watkins-Trade/4bdabb09-4af7-4bb9-91f3-04d4fd1dad5a

Inside the Sammy Watkins Trade

When there’s a trade in any sport, there are questions. How did it come about? What were the teams trying to accomplish?

On Friday, the Rams were involved in their third high-profile trade of the last three years, acquiring wide receiver Sammy Watkins and a 2018 sixth-round pick from the Bills in exchange for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a 2018 second-round selection. The former No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Watkins immediately brings size, speed, and big-play ability to Los Angeles.

“With Sammy, I think clearly you’re getting a special receiver,” Rams head coach Sean McVay said. “Obviously, his career when he’s been available, he’s been outstanding in terms of being able to stretch the field vertically, but when the balls in his hands, good things happen. We feel like he’s going to be a good addition to our offense.”

With Watkins’ proven ability to be a downfield threat — he finished No. 3 with seven receptions of at least 40 yards in 2015 — McVay and general manager Les Snead both said the wideout compliments the Rams’ current personnel well.

“When you attack a team with your pass game, you’d like to use the width of the field and the length of the field. And that’s what speed can do to allow you to attack vertically as well as the width,” Snead said. “So it’s really just trying to open the field up. And it’s not just one person — it might be a tight end this week. It might be a slot receiver this down. It may be a running back out of the backfield or running the ball. So I think it really helps.”

“I feel like adding Sammy to the mix with guys like Robert Woods and Tavon Austin — you’re looking at the emergence of Cooper Kupp. Pharoh Cooper’s done a nice job, done some nice things, done a nice job filling in. And then the tight ends continue to do a nice job as far as developing in their roles. And obviously we know what a special back Todd Gurley is,” McVay said.

While the trade wasn’t done until Friday morning, Snead said the two teams have been discussing it for a while. The general manager said talks began in the spring, around the time Buffalo declined to exercise Watkins’ fifth-year option. And then when Brandon Beane was named the Bills’ general manager after the draft, the conversations started once again.

“We kept talking during the summer and it came to fruition this week,” Snead said.

“But, anytime you’re able to acquire a player of Sammy’s caliber,” McVay added, “that was certainly something that we wanted to be able to do and we feel fortunate that we got that done.”

While he averaged 62 receptions for 1,014 yards and eight touchdowns in his each of his first two seasons, Watkins’ production dipped in 2016 when he missed eight games due to a foot injury. The wideout underwent offseason surgery to correct the issue, and through the offseason program, training camp, and a preseason game, Watkins has been healthy.

In Buffalo’s matchup with Minnesota on Thursday, Watkins caught four passes for 39 yards on five targets. Snead said the Rams looked into the wide receiver’s health and were satisfied with what they discovered.

“We definitely discussed it,” Snead said. “I think it’s probably one of the reasons that maybe they didn’t put the fifth-year option on him. But when we dove into it, we felt comfortable taking the risk, making this move, and going forward.”

Because the Bills declined to exercise Watkins’ option, he is now in the final year of his rookie contract. Though Snead said the Rams and Watkins have not yet discussed a potential contract extension out of respect for the player, Snead added Los Angeles doesn’t see this trade as a short-term decision.

“I think he’s 24, so you don’t just do it for the now — although we do think he’ll help the now,” Snead said. “But because of the age, you’d like for it to be [for the] future as well — long term instead of just short term
.”

So how will the Rams integrate Watkins into their offense? McVay said the first step will be to figure out where his best position is in the offensive scheme.

“I think that you can’t find enough spots for good football players and that’s what we’re getting in Sammy Watkins,” McVay said. “That’s our job as coaches, is to do a good job of putting these guys in good situations, finding a way to develop an offense that’s conducive for our players skillsets. When you add a player like that, those are the types of players that make coaches look good because he’s been so successful throughout the course of his career.”

Watkins is currently slated to arrive in L.A. on Saturday. While he won’t suit up for the Rams’ matchup with the Cowboys, McVay said the team will get Watkins up to speed as soon as possible.

“We’ll get him going right away, start getting him acclimated to our verbiage and our system and looking forward to being able to get to know him a little bit better and see how he’s able to absorb the material,” McVay said. “He’s certainly going to be a good addition for our offense and I think the guys are excited about it.”

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry if someone already pointed this out, but Buffalo moved up to #4 from #9 in a trade with Cleveland to get Sammy, and gave up their 2015 #1 and #4 picks to do so. Heavy price. They really wanted Watkins.

In the good news/bad news category that year, of course, we took Grob at #2, but scored with AD at #13!

We could have just taken Sammy at #2, and saved a lot of trouble...(n) ..maybe...
That Sammy pick could have saved Fisher's job too. Grob being a bust still blows my mind.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goff is gonna shut a lot of people up this year.

I think he will make strides this year. Then 2019, he will be at full speed.

EJ Gaines proved to be a miracle as a sixth round draft pick in 2014 as a rookie when we really needed him.

That AT LEAST makes him a proven commodity which means he already has a CHANCE to be better than 50% of the CBs in the league.

Count him out if you want but he has shown starter quality in coverage before.

Gaines is more of a zone corner. He isn't a man press cover type. He isn't a good fit with Phillips D

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like adding Sammy to the mix with guys like Robert Woods and Tavon Austin — you’re looking at the emergence of Cooper Kupp. Pharoh Cooper’s done a nice job, done some nice things, done a nice job filling in. And then the tight ends continue to do a nice job as far as developing in their roles. And obviously we know what a special back Todd Gurley is,” McVay said.

ladies and gentlemen, the new rams wr corps.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
How long do you think it'll take for Goff and Watkins to develop some chemistry? Will having Woods on our squad help at all?

This team is going to compete this year! I love it!

*I would love if we could get Watkins into practice a few days, show him he's going to be something here. Then sign him to a two year deal that leaves him open to get a monster contract after the 2018-19 season.

That's the biggest reason people are stating the Rams lost this trade. Oh it'll take Watkins a while to get acclimated, and then he'll walk after the year anyway.

I call epic bullshit. Not just bullshit, but epic bullshit. He still has a solid month before the season begins. Players on the team mention how easy the offense is to learn, because of how well the coaches coach. And you can be damn sure, that the players and coaches do whatever it takes to fast track the learning.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the biggest reason people are stating the Rams lost this trade. Oh it'll take Watkins a while to get acclimated, and then he'll walk after the year anyway.

I call epic bullcrap. Not just bullcrap, but epic bullcrap. He still has a solid month before the season begins. Players on the team mention how easy the offense is to learn, because of how well the coaches coach. And you can be damn sure, that the players and coaches do whatever it takes to fast track the learning.

why do they only focus on sammy? do they think matthews is gonna know the offense overnight? gaines is gonna fit straight into the scheme as well as darby? idiots.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A LT of the future who may start at RT until Whitworth retires.

Ill bet, top flight corner. Whitworth is here for at least two years, my guess is three. He thinks longer. Corner will be the more urgent need and with 9-10 wins, more achievable than a top OF with a mid round (10-20)pick in the draft

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...y-watkins-after-exploring-trade-since-spring/

Rams GM hopes to extend Sammy Watkins after exploring trade since spring

IRVINE, Calif. -- With their best player still sitting home and skipping training camp, and with the young quarterback still lacking much of a supporting cast around him, and with their highest-paid receiver hobbled at training camp, the Los Angeles Rams parted with a second-round pick and young corner Friday to land Sammy Watkins from Buffalo.

You could call it a move born of some desperation.

Few offenses, if any, were as unwatchable as that of the Rams from a year ago, and outside of the selection of rookie Cooper Kupp, whom I continue to hear rave reviews about at camp here on the UC Irvine campus, in the third round and adding Robert Woods in free agency, it's the same marginal cast (though with a drastically improved offensive coaching staff). So the Rams have nowhere to go but up on that side of the ball, and while I've long been a Watkins skeptic due to his chronic injury woes, you can understand L.A.'s attraction to the former first-round pick, whom Buffalo traded up for (egregiously) three years ago.

Tavon Austin, for all the money he earns, is a gadget guy; when he does make plays, it's often around the line of scrimmage. Kupp will do his best work in the slot, and the Rams had no one to stretch the field vertically and be that persistent outside presence. It's a vital component in any offense and especially in the scheme of Sean McVay, the youngest head coach in the league, so it's hardly surprising the Rams have been monitoring Watkins' availability for months.

"It probably started a little bit in the spring as you're talking to people and trying to improve your roster," Rams GM Les Snead said while meeting with reporters before Friday's practice. "We started flirting with Buffalo and Sammy probably around the time when they didn't put the fifth-year option on him and we didn't put the fifth-year option on Greg (Robinson, former Rams first-rounder).

"And over time I had a conversation with Buffalo and then when Brandon Beane got the GM job we rekindled that a little bit during the summer and it came to fruition this week."

What Watkins brings to the table

Watkins, when he does play and is unencumbered by nagging foot and other injuries, can certainly be explosive. His has legit big-play potential, averaging over 16 yards per catch in his career. Despite being in pedestrian, largely run-dominated offenses, he does have 10 100-yard games in three seasons (in 37 games played, and many of them at less than full strength). Getting him deep early and often will be imperative.

"When you attack a team in your passing game, you'd like to use the length of the field and the width of the field," Snead said. "And that's what speed can do for you to allow you to attack vertically as well as with the width. So it's trying to open the field up, and it's not just one person. It might be a tight end this week, it might be a slot receiver this down, maybe a running back out of the backfield."

If we're talking deep stuff, yeah, it'll mostly be Watkins among this bunch. His 26 catches of 25 yards or more are tied for 16th in the NFL since 2014 (when Watkins entered the league), though Snead conceded that the durability factor was something he and his medical staff had to explore before pulling off the trade, which also sent corner E.J. Gaines, who became a starter last season, to Buffalo. Watkins has missed 11 games over the past two seasons.

"We definitely discussed it," Snead said, "and I think it's probably one of the reason they didn't put the fifth-year option on him. But when we dove into it we felt comfort taking the risk and making this move and going forward."

Rams eye long-term deals for Watkins, Donald

Snead was unequivocal about the Rams' desire to secure Watkins' services beyond this season (he makes just $690,000 in base salary this season at the end of his rookie deal, and is eligible for unrestricted free agency next season unless franchised).

"Definitely -- he's 24, so you don't just do it for the now," Snead said.

That could prove tricky, however. Watkins might want to play it out, and with Jared Goff coming off such a rocky rookie season, he could prefer other options down the line. And the Rams are still trying to get an extension done with all-world defensive tackle Aaron Donald, still not at camp, and he won't come cheap. Watkins will want top-of-the-market money to commit long-term now, I reckon.

Snead told me the dialogue with Donald is ongoing and they have a substantial offer on the table.

"Whether it's a holdout or an injury, these are things we have to be able to deal with," McVay told me, "and that's something that we're trying to figure out every day. We want Aaron here and we want to make him a Ram for a long time, and in the little bit of time I've spent with him it doesn't take long to see what kind of a special player he is, based on the tape, and what kind of person he is and how much he loves the game of football and his teammates. That's why we want to get it figured out."

The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year. Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade.

Goff finding early rapport with Kupp

All eyes here remain on Goff at all times -- it's not unusual for even Snead to be nearby on the practice field when the youngster is running drills -- and from what I've seen of him this week he remains very up and down. He'll miss two or three throws that make you shake your head and then loft a perfect 50-yard parabola for touchdowns a few times in a row. The learning curve remains steep, I imagine.

"I think he's done a nice job up until this point," McVay said, realizing the truer tests don't come until the preseason opener this weekend.

Kupp seems to be sparking some early chemistry with Goff as well. Despite having just been drafted, he's smart and savvy enough to play all three receiver spots -- though the slot is where he truly shines with a two-way go -- and even with Watkins flying to L.A. I'd expect plenty of balls to come his way.

"He's come in and done a really nice job," McVay said. "He's a very mature rookie and he sees the game through the eyes of a quarterback with his understanding of the route concepts and the timing and rhythm."

Bills building for the future

As for the Bills, Watkins' former team, they might not be done dealing, either. I love what Beane and rookie head coach Sean McDermott are doing to reshape the roster and culture in Buffalo, both long in disarray. Watkins was a favorite for former GM Doug Whaley and became a polarizing figure there among decision-makers, with his health likely precluding another big deal in Buffalo (they recently dealt quarterback Cardale Jones, another of Whaley's pet projects, to the Chargers). In another trade Friday, the Bills took a flier on slow-developing receiver Jordan Matthews, who needed a change of scenery, as a potential fill-in for Watkins, and get Gaines to take the spot of Ronald Darby, who was moved in the Matthews deal, at corner.

Buffalo also picked up additional second- and third-round picks in 2018 in the two deals, where they can draft replacements if Matthews and Gaines don't pan out. And the recent signing of uber-veteran Anquan Boldin won't do anything to improve Buffalo's speed sans Watkins, but does give Tyrod Tayloranother available target.

"People forget that we just signed Boldin," Beane said during the Bills press conference. "This isn't a throw in the towel move. You don't know me if you think I'm throwing in the towel."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could call it a move born of some desperation.

for the fucking love of.......

no, i'd call it a smart, well calculated move. a move that plans to give the rams franchise qb the best wr corps possible to help him succeed.

fucking cocksucker.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
fucking cocksucker.

1BA6E9A7-CC4E-4C21-B77C-9A04B57FFB6F-3241-0000025F6E115179.gif

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Really wanted Terrelle Pryor. But I like this move. Sammy can give this offense a boost. Now he just has to stay healthy.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for the Bills, Watkins' former team, they might not be done dealing, either. I love what Beane and rookie head coach Sean McDermott are doing to reshape the roster and culture in Buffalo, both long in disarray. Watkins was a favorite for former GM Doug Whaley and became a polarizing figure there among decision-makers, with his health likely precluding another big deal in Buffalo (they recently dealt quarterback Cardale Jones, another of Whaley's pet projects, to the Chargers). In another trade Friday, the Bills took a flier on slow-developing receiver Jordan Matthews, who needed a change of scenery, as a potential fill-in for Watkins, and get Gaines to take the spot of Ronald Darby, who was moved in the Matthews deal, at corner

Oh so hang on a second ... Bills trade away arguably their two best players on O and D in Watkins and Darby ... get a not as good Matthews (who is "slowly developing" ) and a not as good Gaines and a 2nd rounder

And you (the reporter ) love it because they are reshaping and retooling the roster and culture ..which is exactly WHAT THE RAMS HAVE DONE ...

I really fucking hope we make the media and tools like this guy eat their fucking words