Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Seems to me the guy who gets hurt here is Woods. Originally signed a 5 yr deal, was looking at the #1 WR spot, he is likely behind Watkins and Kupp (he's the real deal). Woods will be competing w/ Austin for PT/targets.

OTOH, I've always felt Austin is better when the the offense isn't forced through him, when he's a decoy mostly w/ less but more strategic touches. I would be happy if the guy breaks 6-8 big plays this year to go w/ all his touches.

Dumping Austin right now doesn't make any sense because I believe the Rams are already on the hook for his signing/roster bonus ($11 mil?) and would only be saving about $3mil if he is traded.

Psycho_X

Legend
He isn't injury prone. He had an injury that required surgery. He had to have a follow up on the same injury, after playing on it too soon.

Call it what you will but he's missed a lot of playing time. Gaines has had one injury as well and wasn't himself. Point being, both players health has been an issue for their teams for a couple of seasons now. But I'd rather take a chance on really good WR staying healthy at this point since cb isn't an immediate concern for one more season.

Overall, after letting this trade marinade for a day it'll be very interesting in watching the outcome. Snead is a master at making trades happen. He keeps the offseasons exciting for sure. But few of them have panned out long term. And now we may have given up a second round pick for a one year rental. If Watkins stays healthy and they sign him long term this'll be one of the biggest trade steals since the Rams got Marshall from the Colts. If he leaves after this season it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow. So far, locking up our best players long term has been an issue with this front office. So it scares me. But I'll enjoy seeing Watkins score this year and hopefully beyond.

Psycho_X

Legend
Seems to me the guy who gets hurt here is Woods. Originally signed a 5 yr deal, was looking at the #1 WR spot, he is likely behind Watkins and Kupp (he's the real deal). Woods will be competing w/ Austin for PT/targets.

Ha! hadn't thought about that, Woods did just leave Buffalo to come to the Rams to be the #1 possibly and then the Rams trade for the guy that was in front of him months ago. I don't think it'll be an issue because McVay likes to spread the ball around but you have to wonder if Woods had a "You've got to be kidding me" moment when he first heard about it.

jap

Legend
Ha! hadn't thought about that, Woods did just leave Buffalo to come to the Rams to be the #1 possibly and then the Rams trade for the guy that was in front of him months ago. I don't think it'll be an issue because McVay likes to spread the ball around but you have to wonder if Woods had a "You've got to be kidding me" moment when he first heard about it.

Keep in mind that Buffalo has had a run first offense with Sammy & Robert, with Sammy getting most of the WR attention. I am pretty sure McVay has a much more balanced attack in mind. With Sammy often running deep, dragging coverage with him, Robert or Cooper Kupp should be able to exploit softer coverage in the short to medium-range zones. Besides, Jared strikes me as the type of QB who doesn't mind spreading the wealth as far as receiving opportunities go. Don't forget, the threat of the Gurley Express! will suck a lot of defenders up in the box until Jared proves he will kill them for cheating on Todd. Between the coverage on Sammy and Todd, Robert ought to make out pretty well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

OTOH, I've always felt Austin is better when the the offense isn't forced through him, when he's a decoy mostly w/ less but more strategic touches. I would be happy if the guy breaks 6-8 big plays this year to go w/ all his touches.

Dumping Austin right now doesn't make any sense because I believe the Rams are already on the hook for his signing/roster bonus ($11 mil?) and would only be saving about $3mil if he is traded.

At the same time, everyone benefits from better matchups the more talent the defense has to find a way to cover.

Next year we enter the "cheap years" on Tavon's contract. I would not even consider dealing him without seeing how he performs in what is sure to be a more favourable environment for success. I happen to think he could explode in this offense.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I just realized that poor EJ Gaines has to wait another week to play some football lol.

Also, I really hope Sammy makes it to the game today. Would like to see him on the sidelines rocking Rams gear.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
At the same time, everyone benefits from better matchups the more talent the defense has to find a way to cover.

Next year we enter the "cheap years" on Tavon's contract. I would not even consider dealing him without seeing how he performs in what is sure to be a more favourable environment for success. I happen to think he could explode in this offense.

Agree re Austin. I admit that I have at times got caught up on what Austin has cost the Rams in terms of draft capital and this new contract, but what's done is done. And like you said, the cheaper years are coming.

I think he has a place in this league. He can make a difference. I just don't see him as a guy who can carry an offense or be a constant source of fear. He's limited.
...but that's exactly when he's liable to break one because the defense is focused somewhere else and we get him isolated on some poor slob!

FRO

Legend
Agreed. It's nice to have things to get excited about.

Disagree. Matthews has really dropped off in the last two years. Andy Reid was willing to let him go back to Philly and now Philly trades him to Buffalo, when they need weapons for Wentz. Jordan Matthews is not the same guy he was two years out of college. Do a search. Philly coaches were down on his effort, as we're KC coaches. The second was the only way to land a player of Watkins ability. Which would you rather have? A proven NFL top ten receiver or a second round pick that is a 50/50 gamble?
Matthews never played for Reid or in Kansas City.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Watkins in the house!!!!! Yay!!!!! Met Woods outside coliseum. ....;)

Go Rams.......;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Winners and losers of Bills' trades with Rams, Eagles

• _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: Aug. 11, 2017 at 04:01 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 11, 2017 at 05:04 p.m.

The NBA is no longer the only place sports fans go for mind-bending summer trades. The Bills' decision Friday to jettison talented young stars Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby to the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles, respectively, proved again that NFL teams can get creative trading assets in this supersized salary cap era.

This is not a hot take column ready to slam theBills, Eagles or Rams. The three-way deal that technically wasn't a three-way deal can be a win-win-win for all sides. The Eagles and Rams greatly improved their biggest weaknesses without giving up too much. These weren't traditional "win-now" moves by Philadelphia or Buffalo because Darby has two years left on his rookie deal and Watkins, who turned 24 in June, could be retained by the franchise tag in 2018 if the Rams can't reach a long-term deal with him.

The Bills are taking the biggest risk because talented young players are hard to find, and the 2017 Buffalo squad is now worse. Acquiring receiver Jordan Matthews from Philadelphia and cornerback E.J. Gaines from the Rams allows the Bills to tell fans they aren't giving up on this season, but this move is all about the future for a team in transition. Bills general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott didn't see Watkins or Darby as long-term fits and now look to the 2018 draft as the key moment to remake the organization in their image.

There's a lot to get into, so let's break down all the winners and losers of the trades below:

Winners

Jared Goff, Rams quarterback: The most striking takeaway from visiting Rams training camp was the team's lack of deep speed. The first week of camp was partly defined by a lack of big plays, withRobert Woods the closest thing the Rams had to a vertical receiver. That's not Woods' strength, and the acquisition of Watkins will allow Woods to do what he does best as a possession "X" receiver while Watkins tries to take the top off defenses deep.

The entire Rams receiver group makes more sense with Watkins in the No. 1 role, Woods sliding to No. 2, impressive rookie receiver Cooper Kupp in the slot and Tavon Austin floating in the abyss. Now it's up to Goff to prove he can complete deep throws, something that he didn't show as a rookie.

Philadelphia's chances in the NFC East: It was a great Friday for Eagles fans, who watched the team's suspect cornerback group get bolstered while the team's rival, Dallas, suffered a setback following Ezekiel Elliott's suspension.

General manager Howie Roseman knew that a top cornerback trio ofJalen Mills, Patrick Robinson and Ron Brooks would struggle to hold up over the course of the season. The Eagleshave struggled to draft difference-making cornerbacks for years, and Darby is a proven commodity. Pro Football Focus' Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2015, Darby is an incredible value with only $1.3 million combined due over the next two seasons. To put it another way: Darby outplayed Stephon Gilmore for two straight seasons, and Gilmore earned the highest guarantees of any free agent this year.

That contract is one reason why the Eagles had to give up a third-round pick in addition to Jordan Matthews to make the trade work, but I believe it's worth it because of how well Darby should fit into coordinator Jim Schwartz's system.

Nelson Agholor and Daniel Jeremiah: The trade especially made sense for the Eagles because they were able to fill a major position of need by giving up a guy who already appeared to be the odd man out of a revamped receiving corps. Agholor, the team's first-round pick in 2015, was poised to take much of Matthews' work in the slot. The Eagles also have seen youngsters Mack Hollins andMarcus Johnson emerge in camp.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah foresaw something like this happening when he predicted last week that Agholor was going to take over the slot position in Philadelphia, leaving Matthews with an uncertain future. Matthews hit out against Jeremiah after that take, but it turned out DJ knew what he was talking about.

Buffalo's 2018 draft class: This trade was a tacit admission by the Bills that 2017 is a transition year. They downgraded at receiver and cornerback while picking up a second-round pick from theRams and a third-round pick from the Eagles next season. Combine those picks with the first-round selection acquired from the Chiefs when they traded up to select Patrick Mahomes, and the Bills havesix picks in the first three rounds of next year's draft.

Kayvon Webster, Ramscornerback: Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips told me at training camp that he liked his cornerback group more than outside observers, noting it is deeper than people think. This trade spoke to that confidence. E.J. Gaines was competing to start in L.A. and will likely start for the Bills.

Gaines' removal from the Rams opens up the starting job for Kayvon Webster, a little-known former Broncoscornerback who Phillips made sure to bring with him to the West Coast. Phillips believes Webster has matured as a pro and is ready to make a big impact after shining in limited work behind the best cornerback trio in football in Denver.

Losers

Bills fans: The plan is always changing. Beane and McDermott should not be punished for the sins of former Bills leaders, but that doesn't make it any easier for a loyal fanbase that is always believing the best in this organization without getting much return. The team gave up two first-round picks and a fourth-rounder to acquire Watkins back in 2014, and now he was dealt for pennies on the dollar.

Darby looked like the next big thing in Buffalo under Rex Ryan in 2015, and now both men are out of town. It's hard to blame Bills fans for growing tired of buying jerseys or buying sales jobs from new regimes. It's up to Beane and McDermott to prove they are different.

Tyrod Taylor, Bills quarterback: Already in a difficult "prove-it" year with this new staff, Taylor just lost his only real deep threat. Matthews and recent free-agent pickup Anquan Boldin are best out of the slot. Rookie Zay Jones is more of a possession receiver type. It's hard to imagine this passing game having a lot of cohesion early in the season, and now the Bills front office has a lot of draft ammunition to find its quarterback of the future in 2018.

Tavon Austin, Rams receiver: Paid like a No. 1 receiver, Austin now appears relegated to a No. 4 job with the occasional end around or trick play mixed in. That's probably the role he's suited for, but the team's insistence this offseason that Austin could turn into a deep threat now sounds like wishful thinking. He has barely practiced this offseason following wrist surgery and a training camp hamstring pull, which may have pushed the Rams to make this move. Austin doesn't make for a logical trade candidate because no team will want his contract, which has no guarantees after 2017.

Rams' future salary cap space: It's hard to imagine Austin with the Ramsnext season, in large part because general manager Les Snead is going to need to find cap space. The team already is strapped with commitments and needs to fit in a contract for holdout defensive tackle Aaron Donaldand presumably a massive contract for new No. 1 wideout Sammy Watkins. The agent for Watkins knows he has great leverage in talks with the Rams, because the team does not want to give up such a high-draft pick on a one-year rental for a player.

Already short on draft picks because of the trade to acquire Jared Goff, dealing away a valuable second-round pick reduces the Rams' flexibility next year. The Rams will be highly motivated to make this Watkins acquisition work, with the honeymoon period in Los Angeles for coach Sean McVay and Goff growing ever shorter. This is a trade intended to help the Rams make noise starting now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-and-losers-of-bills-trades-with-rams-eagles

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Interesting, didn't realize we were talking about Tru in the Sammy thread I apologize. We cannot sign Tru to a long term deal until the 2018 free agency period begins.

I thought Tru signed his tender which means we can. I could be wrong about that.

Pretty sure the Steelers wouldn't be "sniffing" around if they couldn't lock him up to a more cap friendly deal than the Tag.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Sammy is excited to be the next Ram's receiving legend!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
He knows Sammy's personality. I think you'd have to ask Woods if Sammy is a good teammate.

Not only that but how would he feel about being teammates again. Seems obvious that the answer was good. That's encouraging.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love this! 2014 had 5 receivers go in round 1. All ended up being borderline elite to elite. We skipped on all 5. THANK YOU FOR RIGHTING THE SHIP SNEAD

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I like where your head's at, brother.