"Sam Bradford thinks Eagles might trade him"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
NFL players give back money - IF they have a realistic fear of being cut and getting less money from another team anyway.

Bradford knew there was enough interest in him that wasn't going to happen. So no money was given back. He might have been willing to push it around for future guarantees at most, so the total amount he could expect would be the same or greater.

Exactly. Only desperate players give money back, and that's rare even outside QBs. But there are people who actually believe that players give money back all the time for the good of the team. No, they either restructure, or they accept a little lower contract then another team would offer when they become a FA. I also dispute the notion that loads of fans would walk away from millions owed just for the good of a team if they were players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That makes at least two.
Sounds like there is more interest in Sam than there is in Johnny Football. Not that it means much after everyone got to see JF in action.

If the Eagles want to trade him then that means they no longer want him, or didn't in the first place. So you still have one and it is the most dysfunctional one in the league right now.

When I originally claimed that there was no trade market for Bradford, I forgot that you don't have to have a great mind for football personnel in order to be a GM or an owner, when it comes to some teams.

Just think if the Browns give a first for him and he refuses to sign next offseason. That would be a big blunder........but par for the course for the Browns.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Eagles want to trade him then that means they no longer want him, or didn't in the first place. So you still have one and it is the most dysfunctional one in the league right now.

Not necessarily true. The Eagles could want him, and just want Mariotta more. And there have been many rumors for a while that Kelly really wants his old QB. But they could easily view Bradford as their second choice, and the guy they want if they can't get Mariotta.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not necessarily true. The Eagles could want him, and just want Mariotta more. And there have been many rumors for a while that Kelly really wants his old QB. But they could easily view Bradford as their second choice, and the guy they want if they can't get Mariotta.

If you look at it that way you could say the Rams wanted him. But they were offered Foles, and a second round pick. So how much did they really want him? And how do you know that Kelly only traded for him so he could attempt to use him to get Mariota?

It is jut like the Rams a few months ago. Sam was their best option. As we found out he wasn't their first choice.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you look at it that way you could say the Rams wanted him. But they were offered Foles, and a second round pick. So how much did they really want him? And how do you know that Kelly only traded for him so he could attempt to use him to get Mariota?

It is jut like the Rams a few months ago. Sam was their best option. As we found out he wasn't their first choice.

The question wasn't whether someone was their first choice. The question was whether some teams wanted Bradford enough to give up anything of value for him and his contract.

The reports were that the Rams turned down the Browns' offer, even though it was a first round pick and would have given them a bunch of cap relief, since having Sam at QB was worth more to the Rams than having the first, cap space, and having Keenum or Davis at QB. So while the Rams had preferences to Sam, they did want him - just not as much as Foles, a trade up in the draft this year, a 2nd next year and a bunch of cap space. Heck, I'm sure they would have preferred Andrew Luck too.

The Eagles did not have a Mariotta trade already lined up, so it's reasonable to say that they preferred Bradford over Foles for their system, even at the cost of giving up a future pick and going from a 4th to a 5th round pick this year - and all the cap space, of course.

The Browns clearly would like to get Bradford.

So that is 3 teams who place a positive value on Bradford, even with his contract. That doesn't mean that all of them wouldn't gladly swap him for Luck or somebody else - just that they do value him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The question wasn't whether someone was their first choice. The question was whether some teams wanted Bradford enough to give up anything of value for him and his contract.

The reports were that the Rams turned down the Browns' offer, even though it was a first round pick and would have given them a bunch of cap relief, since having Sam at QB was worth more to the Rams than having the first, cap space, and having Keenum or Davis at QB. So while the Rams had preferences to Sam, they did want him - just not as much as Foles, a trade up in the draft this year, a 2nd next year and a bunch of cap space. Heck, I'm sure they would have preferred Andrew Luck too.

The Eagles did not have a Mariotta trade already lined up, so it's reasonable to say that they preferred Bradford over Foles for their system, even at the cost of giving up a future pick and going from a 4th to a 5th round pick this year - and all the cap space, of course.

So that is 3 teams who place a positive value on Bradford, even with his contract. That doesn't mean that all of them wouldn't gladly swap him for Luck or somebody else - just that they do value him.
Bradford will kick ass in that offense if healthy.
He's great at the no huddle/ up tempo pace. He'll be fun to watch if he stays.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Valid point. They sure gave up a lot to get him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

If the Eagles deal Bradford the they didn't really want him. They wanted him as a trade chip or a backup plan. The Rams wanted Sam because he seemed like their only viable option as the main starter. They didn't want to go into a season with a complete rookie and two backups. So they would hope that Sam could get healthy. Once they had a viable starter (even one that was not as good as Sam) the made the trade and were happy about it.

So far the only team that really seems to want Sam is the Browns. They others will ditch him in a second for a QB that might not even be as good as him, but is usually on the field.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that the Eagles and the Browns both want Sam as an upgrade and/or a safety net in case they can't get a young franchise QB through the draft. Something the Browns keep failing miserably at.

Kelly wouldn't have traded for Sam unless he thought that he would be better than Foles and/or he thought that he had more value in a trade than Foles.
Either way, SB has more value than Foles, but I totally understand that the Rams don't want to roll the dice with SB again and are happy to move on to another QB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think that the Eagles and the Browns both want Sam as an upgrade and/or a safety net in case they can't get a young franchise QB through the draft. Something the Browns keep failing miserably at.

Kelly wouldn't have traded for Sam unless he thought that he would be better than Foles and/or he thought that he had more value in a trade than Foles.
Either way, SB has more value than Foles, but I totally understand that the Rams don't want to roll the dice with SB again and are happy to move on to another QB.
Sadly. I feel the same way about rolling the dice with Sam.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was on the side that was happy about the trade. I kept thinking about how crushing it was when I heard the news about Bradford's knee last summer. It felt like I was told that the Rams had to forfeit the entire season. Fans look forward to a new season every year. We cannot wait, we hope for improvement for our team and for our rivals to take a step back in the light of our new found prowess. That second ACL felt like a giant cartoon sledge hammer smashing every hope and dream I had for the season, flat as a pancake.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Eagles deal Bradford the they didn't really want him. They wanted him as a trade chip or a backup plan. The Rams wanted Sam because he seemed like their only viable option as the main starter. They didn't want to go into a season with a complete rookie and two backups. So they would hope that Sam could get healthy. Once they had a viable starter (even one that was not as good as Sam) the made the trade and were happy about it.

So far the only team that really seems to want Sam is the Browns. They others will ditch him in a second for a QB that might not even be as good as him, but is usually on the field.

the eagles gave up their qb with two healthy knees and a 2nd rounder to the rams for sam. they wanted him badly. and why wouldn't they, he is the perfect qb for their offense. and they have no chance to land mariotta.

why is it so hard for you to believe he had trade value when it happened right in front of you?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
the eagles gave up their qb with two healthy knees and a 2nd rounder to the rams for sam. they wanted him badly. and why wouldn't they, he is the perfect qb for their offense. and they have no chance to land mariotta.

why is it so hard for you to believe he had trade value when it happened right in front of you?

Please read the first line in the above post that you quoted.