Sam Bradford and to many check down passes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Passing
Arizona
--------------Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int QBRat
Carson Palmer 26 40 327 65.0 8.2 4 23 2 1 96.6 1

St. Louis
--------------Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int QBRat
Sam Bradford 27 38 299 71.1 7.9 0 0 2 1 100.7 0

Sam must have made some right moves, 7.9 vs Palmers 8.2 very comparable and no one sees this? Palmer never looked to me like he checked down, but very comparable stats. And he, Palmer had the incomparable Larry Fitzgerald making mincemeat of Courtland Finnegan all game, and leagues maybe best CB all over Givens for 60 minutes. I post this cuz we come up with a great win, yet I read so so much grumbling. I sense to many that the first game should be played with a more wide open offense. 1st game of season, well i"m jazzed with the total outcome. There will be improvements as these Rams play together, count on it.
train

Graphicker

Starter
His yards per attempted were 7.9.. His adjusted yards per game were at 7.7.. Pretty dammm good! Shows a great indicator and his yards per completion were at 11.1..

Last year his Adjusted yards per game were at 6.4 and 5.6 in 2011 and 5.4 his rookie year.. I really didn't see that many check down options, Most of those were designed(Quick). But you take what the defense gives you. They were so scared of Givens that they took our deep threat away, So Sam started dissecting them where all QB's make there bread and butter! The 1-10 yard line..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/73694/pass-atlas-a-map-of-where-nfl-quarterbacks-throw-the-ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... w-the-ball</a>

"In fact, only about 31 percent of all passes are thrown beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. We hear a lot that the NFL is a passing league, but it’s more accurate to say that it’s a short-passing league."

Fuck that shit, You want to see a captain check down? Watch Matt Ryan play or Joe Flacco.

I don't even care if people call Sam captain check down. It's how Brady been dominating defenses for over a decade..

Just let them glue together and keep growing. Cook and Tavon are mismatch nightmares because of there speed, Those guys can break 4 yards in 0.6 seconds, Look at what Sam did with a Target. What did we hear all year? Cook sucks! We overpaid, He's an under achiever.
Well I'll be Damm. Dude set a receiving yard record for a Rams TE in his first game.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain railing against injustice:
Sam must have made some right moves, 7.9 vs Palmers 8.2 very comparable and no one sees this? Palmer never looked to me like he checked down, but very comparable stats. And he, Palmer had the incomparable Larry Fitzgerald making mincemeat of Courtland Finnegan all game, and leagues maybe best CB all over Givens for 60 minutes. I post this cuz we come up with a great win, yet I read so so much grumbling. I sense to many that the first game should be played with a more wide open offense. 1st game of season, well i"m jazzed with the total outcome. There will be improvements as these Rams play together, count on it.
I agree with your thoughts about this but there's a couple of points I'd like to interject into the conversation. There were some real head scratchers on the play calling front (on defense too) which might have affected some of the posts that are saying those things. The other issue many, including myself, have with what happened on offense is that we didn't even try to throw long. maybe Sam had no time to throw long when a long pass play was called and maybe he did try to throw long and the ESPN Gamecast just didn't indicate it.

Regardless of all that, it's really jumping the gun to make comments about that kind of stuff after only one game.

My final comment has to do with the Cardinal defense which, over the course of the season, will have proven to be a really good one IMO. Top 15 at least and maybe even top 10.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You take what the defense gives you. I heard some commentary during the game that the deep ball wasn't there because of excellent coverage over the top and a good pass rush. If a defense leaves the underneath zone wide open, then you just take it. We did, and Arizona did. All that really matters is how you perform when the field is shortened (inside the 20's) and when all that other stuff is a non-factor.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree for the most part. The D that is being played can really dictate a lot of it. I thought Bradford was very efficient.

Yards per attempt is the stat that matters. Yards per completion means nothing. A guy could go 1-20 for 40 yards and he would have a 40 yard per completion percentage. Yards per attempt indicate efficiency, big plays ect. Martz said he looked for two things in young QBs, completion percentage and average per attempt.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fearsomefour said:
I agree for the most part. The D that is being played can really dictate a lot of it. I thought Bradford was very efficient.

Yards per attempt is the stat that matters. Yards per completion means nothing. A guy could go 1-20 for 40 yards and he would have a 40 yard per completion percentage. Yards per attempt indicate efficiency, big plays ect. Martz said he looked for two things in young QBs, completion percentage and average per attempt.
Martz would love SB, 7.9 yds per att, and 71% completion ratio
train

Sum1

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
I agree with your thoughts about this but there's a couple of points I'd like to interject into the conversation. There were some real head scratchers on the play calling front (on defense too) which might have affected some of the posts that are saying those things. The other issue many, including myself, have with what happened on offense is that we didn't even try to throw long. maybe Sam had no time to throw long when a long pass play was called and maybe he did try to throw long and the ESPN Gamecast just didn't indicate it.

Regardless of all that, it's really jumping the gun to make comments about that kind of stuff after only one game.

My final comment has to do with the Cardinal defense which, over the course of the season, will have proven to be a really good one IMO. Top 15 at least and maybe even top 10.

What better way to take Patrick Peterson out of them game than to not give him the opportunity to even be in it.

Your deep threat can be a decoy and be just as effective as someone grabbing a long bomb.

Graphicker

Starter
fearsomefour said:

You got it all twisted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adjusted Yards is where it's at. Yards per attempt can be skewed.. Yard's per attempt can mean if a QB complete 2 passes... One for 3 yards and another one for 4 yards but the WR runs for 33 more it will show 2 completions for 40 yards and 20 yards per pass Attempt.

Adjusted Yards Per Attempt is your friend.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
albefree69 said:

What better way to take Patrick Peterson out of them game than to not give him the opportunity to even be in it.

Your deep threat can be a decoy and be just as effective as someone grabbing a long bomb.
True story.

A55VA6

Legend
As a fan of the Rams I want to see big flashy plays like we saw with Jared Cook, but if we can just get those check downs everytime when nothing is there, that will help this offense greatly.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
One other stat that I think is pretty important is 71% completion rate. That is pretty damn good no matter what the circumstances.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Quick short passes will open up the big ones. Givens may continue to extra attention for his deep play ability, so the rest of the receivers will need to hurt them with the short passes. Then the one time they don't give Givens the extra attention we have to kill them with the deep ball.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Move the chains early and often. What I saw early was the Rams actually designing check downs as really their first option. I'm sure if someone would have broken open, there would have been some longer throws but if the defense is going to play deep on you and DR is sitting there for a chain mover, you take the chain mover until they start to creep up and allow the deep ball. It didn't appear that they were willing to give up the deep ball so we picked them apart down low.

They have speed and good coverage ability in Peterson and Mathieu. So you have to appreciate that and not be stupidly aggressive. We were pretty much able to move the ball all day. We really should have scored 34 points and given up only 17. I'll take that.

Get rid of some of those stupid mistakes and have just ONE of those balls bounce our way and this game wasn't even close.

Fasnacht

UDFA
Agree with so much in this thread....Take Tavon, for example. Everyone wants to see him light it up (and he will), but what a great game with 6 catches on 7 targets at 6.8 yds per catch...Those are the kinds of plays that can almost become automatic and keep chains moving all game long.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bwdenverram said:
One other stat that I think is pretty important is 71% completion rate. That is pretty damn good no matter what the circumstances.
Keep this up a little bit, middle and deep will wide open..but i'll take 7.9 and 71% all season long
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My take is that the pass rush was very intense. Arizona blitzed a lot, and our middle line wasn't picking it up. I think we expected it, and game planned for it.

I still think we should have taken more deep shots, on roll outs, or even off of 3-step drops.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sum1BTRthnU with a good point:

That's assuming that you're only able to throw one to Givens. We have other WRs on our roster who can go long and I for one would liked to have seen a long one (or two) thrown to Quick.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Seeing Bradford's completion % above 70% is pretty encouraging. Not that Bradford is getting better but that his receiving corps isn't habitually dropping catchable passes like in the past. I don't recall a single drop from Sunday whereas I don't recall a single game from 2010 - 2012 where there wasn't at least 1 drop, usually more.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
moklerman said:
Seeing Bradford's completion % above 70% is pretty encouraging. Not that Bradford is getting better but that his receiving corps isn't habitually dropping catchable passes like in the past. I don't recall a single drop from Sunday whereas I don't recall a single game from 2010 - 2012 where there wasn't at least 1 drop, usually more.

I think a little bit of both. It was always frustrating watching those drops. But it seems to me that his decisions were a bit faster, his receivers were a bit more open, he had more time to throw, he looked more confident in the pocket. It's only one game but I thought all the pieces appeared to be there to make me think that Sam's truly is going to have a very good year. 71% every game? Probably not but there will be some more long plays thrown in as well. But yeah - how refreshing that our receivers caught the damn ball.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Just would like to point out Palmer got over the 300 mark with his last 2 completions adding up to 29 yards. Take away those 2 passes and his line reads 24/38 for 298.