Salary Cap - We all love to play GM - So give it a go.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
I just don't see the Rams spending money on Gibson or Smith. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. Got to upgrade this position. Too much tied up... Quick, Givens, Pettis, Amendola are locks.

I'm just not sure Pettis is such a lock. KD even mentioned Gibby - why? Not sure but I think it was a tell. As frustrating as Gibby was at times (IMO - rarely), he was also a go to guy too many times to go out with the bath water when you consider our stock and his likely paycheck. Pettis made a game saving miraculous catch and had some other key catches. Were the others anything Gibby hasn't done or those you wouldn't just expect an NFL level receiver to make? Not IMO.

I'll agree on Smith. I saw nothing but a fresh pair of legs to throw out there on occasion. He seemed to always be zigging when Sam was Zagging. As far as I saw it, he was Fish's Bennet - albeit at a lower cost. I'd love Danny back but is someone out there desperate enough to offer him top receiver type bank on the gamble that he can stay healthy? Who knows. I don't. We did give him a platform to excell ala Lloyd with McD. Does he recognize that and want to stay because of Sam? To me, that is the wild card with him. That along with the belief that the Rams are trending up in a hurry.

I'd still like to see the real cap numbers. My thread is based on the info that I found. I don't pretend to know their validity.

We have to upgrade our production at receiver. I don't think there is any question there. But do we just keep plugging in pieces to see if we find the magic? Or is it that we pull in some more competition, bring along the guys that know the system and Sam, and use our funds on other positions? I'm of the latter. Give Sam a couple guys that know where they're supposed to be. Give him some guys that know the look in his eye when that look is telling them what to do. Give him some guys who know what he wants to do when he does 'X'. Personally, I don't see a FA receiver out there that will give us that and allow us to fill positions that will move us along. Bowe? I will eat crow all day long if we sign him and he gives us that - GLADLY. I just don't see it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RamFan503 said:
jrry32 said:
The numbers are not correct. I created a cap spreadsheet based on the information available and did some cuts. We'll have about 10 to 12 million to spend in FA...which I believe is what Kevin Demoff said a little while back.

I'd like to see it too. There are so damned many numbers floating around the internet, it's hard to figure out what is what. I'm not doubting your numbers, I just want to see what numbers you have that I can't find. Yours and KD's numbers seem to be in sync so where's the disconnect?

No idea where the disconnect is? Maybe people aren't counting the money we need to save to sign draft picks? Maybe they think we'll save more money with cuts than we will. No clue.

I'm going to choose not to share it for my own reasons but I can give you the numbers:
92,353,544 in total salary
9,787,919 in dead money(with the cuts I made and past dead money still on the cap)
102,140,463 in total cap space used

And that's with cutting Mikell, Dahl, SJ, Hunter, etc.

Now, I did use 1,323,000 as a RFA tender on both Darian Stewart and Cudjo as well as 615,000 on a ERFA tender for Tim Barnes.

But if the cap is around 122,000,000...that'll give us about 20,000,000 in cap space. If you subtract 8,000,000 for rookie contracts...that's 12 million to spend. And I might be off on rookie contracts, they may cost more than 8 mil.

X said:
jrry32 said:
The numbers are not correct. I created a cap spreadsheet based on the information available and did some cuts. We'll have about 10 to 12 million to spend in FA...which I believe is what Kevin Demoff said a little while back.

In that case, I'd try to keep William Hayes and Turner for about 1 million each. I'd try to bring Danny back for around 4 million a year. And I'd let the all of our remaining FAs walk. I'd try with SJ but I just don't see him signing for 1.5 to 2 million.

That would give us room to go after what would be one good FA pick-up. Maybe one of the good safeties like Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin(or Louis Delmas for those of you who like him). Or maybe an OG like Andy Levitre or a RT like Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt.

Or we could go after 2 to 4 good role players like Jason Jones, Randy Starks, Daryl Smith, etc.
Incidentally, how do you figure on signing a 28 year old, 7 sack DE, to a $1M contract?

We were the only team really interested in him last off-season. I doubt he sees a lot of interest this one. He's a part time player who played well this year but in the past, those players haven't really gotten compensated. He could see more than 1 million but I don't think significantly more. Anywhere between 1 and 2 million imo. Wallace Gilberry, for example, got a 1 year 1.9 million contract coming off of a season with 7 sacks and a lot of QB pressure as a situational pass rusher as a 3-4 DE.

But you never know. Either ways, if he gets more, he's very replaceable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Pettis is a lock.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:

In that case, I'd try to keep William Hayes and Turner for about 1 million each. I'd try to bring Danny back for around 4 million a year. And I'd let the all of our remaining FAs walk. I'd try with SJ but I just don't see him signing for 1.5 to 2 million.

That would give us room to go after what would be one good FA pick-up. Maybe one of the good safeties like Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin(or Louis Delmas for those of you who like him). Or maybe an OG like Andy Levitre or a RT like Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt.

Or we could go after 2 to 4 good role players like Jason Jones, Randy Starks, Daryl Smith, etc.
Incidentally, how do you figure on signing a 28 year old, 7 sack DE, to a $1M contract?

We were the only team really interested in him last off-season. I doubt he sees a lot of interest this one. He's a part time player who played well this year but in the past, those players haven't really gotten compensated. He could see more than 1 million but I don't think significantly more. Anywhere between 1 and 2 million imo. Wallace Gilberry, for example, got a 1 year 1.9 million contract coming off of a season with 7 sacks and a lot of QB pressure as a situational pass rusher as a 3-4 DE.

But you never know. Either ways, if he gets more, he's very replaceable.
This is where you have to be careful though. The "he's very replaceable" comment is predicated on you making your spreadsheet work, but doesn't take into account the fact that Fisher wanted him on this team, and for obvious reasons. A rotation on the D-line that has a guy capable of registering 7 sacks is worth more than $1M to any team, and in particular, Jeff Fisher's Rams. Now I'm not saying they'll break the bank to keep him on board, but you can bet Fisher will communicate to Demoff that keeping him is a priority. $1M for one year? I don't see that happening. If anything they lock him up for a few years and spread it out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
This is where you have to be careful though. The "he's very replaceable" comment is predicated on you making your spreadsheet work, but doesn't take into account the fact that Fisher wanted him on this team, and for obvious reasons. A rotation on the D-line that has a guy capable of registering 7 sacks is worth more than $1M to any team, and in particular, Jeff Fisher's Rams. Now I'm not saying they'll break the bank to keep him on board, but you can bet Fisher will communicate to Demoff that keeping him is a priority. $1M for one year? I don't see that happening. If anything they lock him up for a few years and spread it out.

William Hayes had 8 sacks in his 4 year career coming into this year. How much of it was him? How much was scheme/supporting cast/coaching? And can we realistically expect it to happen again?

That comment is really predicated on my spreadsheet working. It's predicated on the belief that Hayes may not be able to replicate this year and that there are other players that can offer a similar skill-set to his. I'd love for Hayes to be the type of player he was this year for the foreseeable future. But at this point, it's not close to a lock. If it was a lock, I'd pay him more. Like I said, realistically, I think he'll see a contract between 1 and 2 million a year. I'd like to get him on the low end...he'd like to get on the high end. But he's a replaceable commodity...especially with us having a guy like Waufle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:

William Hayes had 8 sacks in his 4 year career coming into this year. How much of it was him? How much was scheme/supporting cast/coaching? And can we realistically expect it to happen again?

That comment is really predicated on my spreadsheet working. It's predicated on the belief that Hayes may not be able to replicate this year and that there are other players that can offer a similar skill-set to his. I'd love for Hayes to be the type of player he was this year for the foreseeable future. But at this point, it's not close to a lock. If it was a lock, I'd pay him more. Like I said, realistically, I think he'll see a contract between 1 and 2 million a year. I'd like to get him on the low end...he'd like to get on the high end. But he's a replaceable commodity...especially with us having a guy like Waufle.
Fair enough. But if we're keeping this scheme, then chances are good he'll duplicate that success. Especially after another off-season to hone his craft. Anxious to see how it plays out with him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:
X said:

Fair enough. But if we're keeping this scheme, then chances are good he'll duplicate that success. Especially after another off-season to hone his craft. Anxious to see how it plays out with him.

I wouldn't go that far. Things like that tend to fluctuate. For example, I used Gilberry earlier...he went from 7 sacks to 2.5 sacks in the same scheme from 2010 to 2011.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
X said:

I wouldn't go that far. Things like that tend to fluctuate. For example, I used Gilberry earlier...he went from 7 sacks to 2.5 sacks in the same scheme from 2010 to 2011.
Well I'm sure you can find anomalies anywhere if you look hard enough. Gilberry's kind of a poor example though. He was a sub-package pass rusher when they switched to a 3-4, and then added weight prior to the 2011 season to try and fit into the scheme better. Kinda had his PT reduced when it wasn't working out. Hayes isn't switching positions or schemes. Anyway, again, we'll see what happens. I'm sure Fisher isn't banking on anomalies being a deterrent to his continued uptick in production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Well I'm sure you can find anomalies anywhere if you look hard enough. Gilberry's kind of a poor example though. He was a sub-package pass rusher when they switched to a 3-4, and then added weight prior to the 2011 season to try and fit into the scheme better. Kinda had his PT reduced when it wasn't working out. Hayes isn't switching positions or schemes. Anyway, again, we'll see what happens. I'm sure Fisher isn't banking on anomalies being a deterrent to his continued uptick in production.

I hope not. I hope we keep him and he comes out and puts up 12 sacks next year...but you never know. ;)

That said, won't be a bit upset if he walks and we grab a talented pass rusher in the first few rounds of the draft.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:

I hope not. I hope we keep him and he comes out and puts up 12 sacks next year...but you never know. ;)

That said, won't be a bit upset if he walks and we grab a talented pass rusher in the first few rounds of the draft.
I feel ya homie. Like you said, we got the Waufle (DE) maker. :yeh: