Salary Cap - We all love to play GM - So give it a go.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
According to what I'm seeing, the 2013 Salary Cap will be approx. $121 mil.

So if I'm correct and assuming Paul's figures are right (not questioning Paul - just the information on salary caps always seems so iffy), that leaves us a shade under $31 mil to sign all rookies and FAs including our own. That of course is assuming that we don't restructure anyone nor cut anyone currently on the list of returning players.

Roughly $4 mil of that will go to Rookie contracts (8 x approx. $500k). That supposedly would leave about $27 mil to sign FAs. I realize that many of the bench warmers will simply drop off but those players will be replaced with similar salaries of similar value to the team.

Of our current FAs - who would you keep and at what price? I included a cut down list of our FAs from Paulie's thread. See below.

Now - do you have a realistic approach to how some of our FA contracts could be reworked? If so, put that in there. Are there players you would simply cut? Would those cuts leave us with dead money against the cap?

Given all that, what does that leave you with to sign the FAs (or positions in free agency) that you most covet. Do you go after a high profile WR? A top Safety? Is there a LB you really want?

Does any of that change your draft board?

I'll try to get around to what I would do later as I get time. I just thought maybe you guys would have some fun with this and, frankly, I'd rather read what most of you think than read my own thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Amendola 1,972,000
Tim Barnes 365,625
Kellen Clemens 700,000
Justin Cole 540,000
Jermelle Cudjo 540,000
Craig Dahl 1,200,000
Bradley Fletcher 1,202,202
Brandon Gibson 1,000,000
Mario Haggan 825,000
William Hayes 800,000
Trevor Laws 700,000
Rocky McIntosh 700,000
Mike McNeill 465,000
Brit Miller 615,000
Barry Richardson 700,000
Steve Smith 1,000,000
Darian Stewart 540,000
Robert Turner 700,000
Chris Williams 1,250,000

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm not going to guess salaries but to me the top ones are :

DA
Hayes
Turner

after that:

Fletcher?
Cudjo?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's all gonna boil down to Danny, SJax, and Mikell. If Danny wants top receiver money, we're not going to be able to pay it. If Jackson wants top RB money, we're not gonna be able to pay it. If Mikell isn't open to restructuring, he'll hit FA and likely be gone. Of course that's an opinion based on absolutely no knowledge of how KD could rework contracts or 'sell' these individuals on the idea that they're better off cooperating for the good of the team.

Really have no idea where we are, cap-wise. The salaries I posted come from a pay site that puts a ton of research into how these things are structured, and how the individual teams spread out bonuses. It gives me no clear indication where we are relative to the cap though, because some bonuses are tied to incentives.

My feeling on the draft is always BPAFPON (best player available for position of need). I think we're gonna have to wait until May (right before June 1st) to see how this roster is shaped, and then figure out where the real weak spots truly are. But, that said, we have no idea how guys like Matt Daniels, Nsekhe, Nick Johnson, Sammy Brown, Jabara, McLeod, Stewart, or Radway could (or have) progressed. In other words, our perceived needs could be anything BUT needs for this coaching staff. That, too, could affect the draft and free agency.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I think it's all gonna boil down to Danny, SJax, and Mikell. If Danny wants top receiver money, we're not going to be able to pay it. If Jackson wants top RB money, we're not gonna be able to pay it. If Mikell isn't open to restructuring, he'll hit FA and likely be gone. Of course that's an opinion based on absolutely no knowledge of how KD could rework contracts or 'sell' these individuals on the idea that they're better off cooperating for the good of the team.

Really have no idea where we are, cap-wise. The salaries I posted come from a pay site that puts a ton of research into how these things are structured, and how the individual teams spread out bonuses. It gives me no clear indication where we are relative to the cap though, because some bonuses are tied to incentives.

My feeling on the draft is always BPAFPON (best player available for position of need). I think we're gonna have to wait until May (right before June 1st) to see how this roster is shaped, and then figure out where the real weak spots truly are. But, that said, we have no idea how guys like Matt Daniels, Nsekhe, Nick Johnson, Sammy Brown, Jabara, McLeod, Stewart, or Radway could (or have) progressed. In other words, our perceived needs could be anything BUT needs for this coaching staff. That, too, could affect the draft and free agency.

Yeah I know but.... :7up:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:

You want me to get my hands dirty, eh?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamsFan503 said:
You want me to get my hands dirty, eh?

Coitenly. :tooth:
Ight.

I'd keep:

Danny Amendola
Jermelle Cudjo
Bradley Fletcher
Brandon Gibson
William Hayes
Mike McNeill
Barry Richardson
Steve Smith
Darian Stewart
Robert Turner
Chris Williams

I have no idea how to balance their budget though. That's, like, trigonometry wrapped in calculus. Not my forte'. My reasoning is, this was the first year in two systems for all of these players, and it wasn't a failure. Bringing in new guys (assuming they're lateral moves) would be less impactful than keeping the guys we already have and letting them get comfortable in their respective schemes. Including Steve Smith and Barry Richardson. Craig Dahl, bless him, is a weak link, IMO. I absolutely love him on special teams and in soft zones, but not in man coverage, cover 2, or against the run.

I would absolutely keep Steven Jackson. That's a no-brainer. I don't even consider moving on from him as long as he's still producing and in phenomenal shape. But. I don't know what his salary demands are at the moment. He kinda determines how we address other UFA and RFA's. If we *have* to move on from him, then that would SUCK, but I feel pretty okay with Richardson, Pead and Ganaway. Plus, there's always room to pick up a guy later in the draft. RB isn't really a tough position to transition to from college to the NFL anyway. So, it shouldn't be that difficult to find someone to compete with DR and IP.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Steve Smith? Really? :razzed:

I know this won't be popular but give me my Gibby back. THAT I like.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:

I know there's a good receiver in there somewhere w/Steve Smith. I spent most of today rewatching games, and he came through quite a few times. I think he was just kinda lost out there with this team and in this system. I'm more than okay with seeing him get another shot at it. Gibby too. He shows up huge in games. More TD's than Fitzgerald last year (no shit) (yeah, I know, doesn't mean anything though) (going for the trifecta with parenthetical statements here). But yeah, Gibby - if he stays - should be beast or bust next year. Maybe I'd sign him to a one-year extension to see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
RamFan503 said:

I know there's a good receiver in there somewhere w/Steve Smith. I spent most of today rewatching games, and he came through quite a few times. I think he was just kinda lost out there with this team and in this system. I'm more than okay with seeing him get another shot at it. Gibby too. He shows up huge in games. More TD's than Fitzgerald last year (no shyte) (yeah, I know, doesn't mean anything though) (going for the trifecta with parenthetical statements here). But yeah, Gibby - if he stays - should be beast or bust next year. Maybe I'd sign him to a one-year extension to see.

Smith and Gibson < opportunity to upgrade.

I don't see anything with these guys that can't be filled in other ways. THIS TEAM NEEDS TO UPGRADE AT WR! 2013 cannot be gambled away on the existing unit!

To upgrade; someone(s) must go.

Bye bye Smith and Gibson!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

I know there's a good receiver in there somewhere w/Steve Smith. I spent most of today rewatching games, and he came through quite a few times. I think he was just kinda lost out there with this team and in this system. I'm more than okay with seeing him get another shot at it. Gibby too. He shows up huge in games. More TD's than Fitzgerald last year (no shyte) (yeah, I know, doesn't mean anything though) (going for the trifecta with parenthetical statements here). But yeah, Gibby - if he stays - should be beast or bust next year. Maybe I'd sign him to a one-year extension to see.

I don't see anything with these guys that can't be filled in other ways. THIS TEAM NEEDS TO UPGRADE AT WR! 2013 cannot be gambled away on the existing unit!

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not discounting that approach either. It's just that, if we don't get someone who is *already* markedly better in free agency (and that's not likely), then we have to rely on drafting someone better. What are the odds that we're going to get someone in the draft that's already better at running NFL routes, and understanding NFL routes, and having an already established chemistry with Bradford? Slim. Signing them to one year extensions couldn't hurt any. If they bring someone in, and they beat either one of those dudes out, then great. Go with THAT guy. You can cut one or the other (Gibson or Smith) during camp, and move the other one down the depth chart behind the guy who's shown he's better.

I guess, what it comes down to, is how *much* people buy into a second year in the system making a difference.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:

I know there's a good receiver in there somewhere w/Steve Smith. I spent most of today rewatching games, and he came through quite a few times. I think he was just kinda lost out there with this team and in this system. I'm more than okay with seeing him get another shot at it. Gibby too. He shows up huge in games. More TD's than Fitzgerald last year (no shit) (yeah, I know, doesn't mean anything though) (going for the trifecta with parenthetical statements here). But yeah, Gibby - if he stays - should be beast or bust next year. Maybe I'd sign him to a one-year extension to see.

I was thinking he would be a great pick up, but as you said, he always seemed so lost out there. If we bring him back, I'd certainly think it'd have to be on the cheap. Otherwise it would be wise for him to go where he knew the system better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The numbers are not correct. I created a cap spreadsheet based on the information available and did some cuts. We'll have about 10 to 12 million to spend in FA...which I believe is what Kevin Demoff said a little while back.

In that case, I'd try to keep William Hayes and Turner for about 1 million each. I'd try to bring Danny back for around 4 million a year. And I'd let the all of our remaining FAs walk. I'd try with SJ but I just don't see him signing for 1.5 to 2 million.

That would give us room to go after what would be one good FA pick-up. Maybe one of the good safeties like Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin(or Louis Delmas for those of you who like him). Or maybe an OG like Andy Levitre or a RT like Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt.

Or we could go after 2 to 4 good role players like Jason Jones, Randy Starks, Daryl Smith, etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
I created a cap spreadsheet based on the information available and did some cuts.
May I see it?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
The numbers are not correct. I created a cap spreadsheet based on the information available and did some cuts. We'll have about 10 to 12 million to spend in FA...which I believe is what Kevin Demoff said a little while back.

In that case, I'd try to keep William Hayes and Turner for about 1 million each. I'd try to bring Danny back for around 4 million a year. And I'd let the all of our remaining FAs walk. I'd try with SJ but I just don't see him signing for 1.5 to 2 million.

That would give us room to go after what would be one good FA pick-up. Maybe one of the good safeties like Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin(or Louis Delmas for those of you who like him). Or maybe an OG like Andy Levitre or a RT like Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt.

Or we could go after 2 to 4 good role players like Jason Jones, Randy Starks, Daryl Smith, etc.

Your numbers are consistent with what Kevin said, yes... But does that include something done with Mikell?

I think Hayes is >$1M by a little. Turner, you probably are right.

Danny at $4M? Probably, but ouch. Dude better hit the field.

SJ... I still believe we'll work something out.

I really like Louis Delmas, A Smith, and Phil Loadholt.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd sign:
Danny Amendola Top priority 3 years 6 mil per
Steven Jackson 2 years 6 mil per
F/A Dwayne Bowe. Top priority. 3 years 8 mil per
That's 20,000,000.00

2nd tier guys that I want to keep:
Tim Barnes 365,625
Jermelle Cudjo 540,000
Mike McNeill 465,000
Darian Stewart 540,000
Robert Turner 700,000
William Hayes 800,000

Cuts:
Kellen Clemens 700,000
Justin Cole 540,000
Craig Dahl 1,200,000
Bradley Fletcher 1,202,202
Brandon Gibson 1,000,000
Mario Haggan 825,000
Trevor Laws 700,000
Rocky McIntosh 700,000
Barry Richardson 700,000
Steve Smith 1,000,000
Chris Williams 1,250,000
Britt was already cut.
Restructure Mikell if possible. ??? Savings
$9,815,000.00 in savings, but some of these to fill other roster spots.

I'd draft:
1st round: Sheldon Richardson, DT
1st round: Kenny Vaccaro, FS
2nd round: Markus Wheaton, WR
3rd round: Sio Moore, OLB
4th round: Chris Faulk, OT
5th round: Michael Williams, TE
6th round: BPA
7th round: BPA

Boom! Just what the doctor ordered.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
jrry32 said:

I'd like to see it too. There are so damned many numbers floating around the internet, it's hard to figure out what is what. I'm not doubting your numbers, I just want to see what numbers you have that I can't find. Yours and KD's numbers seem to be in sync so where's the disconnect?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not discounting that approach either. It's just that, if we don't get someone who is *already* markedly better in free agency (and that's not likely), then we have to rely on drafting someone better. What are the odds that we're going to get someone in the draft that's already better at running NFL routes, and understanding NFL routes, and having an already established chemistry with Bradford? Slim. Signing them to one year extensions couldn't hurt any. If they bring someone in, and they beat either one of those dudes out, then great. Go with THAT guy. You can cut one or the other (Gibson or Smith) during camp, and move the other one down the depth chart behind the guy who's shown he's better.

I guess, what it comes down to, is how *much* people buy into a second year in the system making a difference.

My best guess; Smith and Gibson are gone.

1 roster spot to FA or Radway.

1 roster spot to draft pick.

All assumes Amendola is back.

I just don't see the Rams spending money on Gibson or Smith. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. Got to upgrade this position. Too much tied up... Quick, Givens, Pettis, Amendola are locks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

My best guess; Smith and Gibson are gone.

1 roster spot to FA or Radway.

1 roster spot to draft pick.

All assumes Amendola is back.

I just don't see the Rams spending money on Gibson or Smith. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. Got to upgrade this position. Too much tied up... Quick, Givens, Pettis, Amendola are locks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Aesg3V1.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:

Incidentally, how do you figure on signing a 28 year old, 7 sack DE, to a $1M contract?