Saffold injury creates opportunity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/106159/saffold-injury-creates-opportunity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... pportunity</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/vSBPs3h.jpg[/wrapimg]EARTH CITY, Mo. – Although the St. Louis Rams would have preferred to make it through the preseason without any injuries, the loss of right tackle Rodger Saffold for a game or two because of a dislocated left shoulder could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Saffold’s injury Friday afternoon, saying Saffold's shoulder dislocated backward but was popped back into place. The injury is likely to cost Saffold a game or two in the preseason.

“He is very sore,” Fisher said. “In these instances there is going to be some swelling, some pain and you just have to work through that and restrengthen it. You just want to make sure that the integrity of the joint is OK, and based on all indications it is, so we’re lucky.”

Because Saffold is expected to return with time to spare before the regular season begins, he should be able to get up to speed to step back into his position without any issues.

What complicates the matter for Saffold is the lost repetitions he could be getting during the next couple of weeks at his new position on the right side. Saffold struggled a bit making that move in the spring but had shown signs of settling in on the right side early in camp.

Fisher doesn’t think the lost time will hurt Saffold’s transition much.

“He’s really had a good camp,” Fisher said. “He’s doing well out there. A lot of it is footwork, a lot of it is understanding the stuff that takes place inside the meeting room, so it will be a setback, but I don’t think it’s going to hurt him. He’s a smart guy and he and Harvey [Dahl] work real well together. So we will get him back as soon as we can.”

In the meantime, the opportunity for some of the Rams’ younger linemen to get reps with the first-team offense could come in handy, especially considering how little experience there is behind the presumptive starters.

Should Chris Williams win the starting left guard job, the Rams will have a projected starting five on the line of left tackle Jake Long, Williams, center Scott Wells, right guard Dahl and right tackle Saffold. They have a combined 327 regular-season starts.

Behind that group the Rams have a group of linemen that, even if the most experienced guys make the roster, collectively has a maximum of eight regular-season starts.

After Long and Saffold, Joe Barksdale is the most experienced tackle on the roster. He made a pair of starts in Saffold’s place when he was injured last season. Williams technically would qualify as the most experienced backup tackle, but for now he’s working exclusively at guard.

The Rams originally added Barksdale on Sept. 27, 2012, after the Raiders waived him. He appeared in 16 games as a rookie for Oakland but did not make any starts.

During the offseason, Barksdale spent time training with Rams Hall of Fame tackle Jackie Slater in an effort to work on his fundamentals.

Barksdale stepped in for Saffold on Thursday night and fared well at right tackle for about a dozen snaps before moving over to the left side for the bulk of his 40 snaps.

“Joe did fine,” Fisher said. “Joe played last year a couple games and he did well. Joe is lining up against some good defensive ends here in practice every day and he got on the field and did well, knew what to do. So we are totally comfortable with Joe doing that.”

Ty Nsekhe and Sean Hooey are the only other true tackles on the roster, and they, too, should benefit from extra reps while Saffold is out. Nsekhe played the most snaps of anyone on the roster Thursday with 54 against the Browns. Hooey played 26.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am comfortable with Barksdale. The problem with him starting... who's left?

The Rams need to sort out the roster depth behind Barksdale real quick. I wouldn't be opposed to Barry Richardson coming back if he's still out there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
albefree69 said:
It's going to take a lot more than extra reps, IMO.
Yep. Sean Hooey was horrifically bad last night...against scrubs. I dont think a Saffold injury will save that kids job.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We have no depth on the OL. That's par for the course with a very young team.

The starting 5 has got to stay healthy or things will go south very quickly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Barry Richardson signed with the Titans. He might become available later as he is currently listed as 3rd string.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Memphis Ram said:
Barry Richardson signed with the Titans. He might become available later as he is currently listed as 3rd string.
I would imagine Les has him on speed dial at this point. It will be interesting to see the Rams' reaction to the Saffold injury in the coming weeks.

Its too bad that the rook B.Jones hasn't participated much in camp. He was/is being groomed as a Center...i would guess that was because among all the starters on the OLine,maybe theRams felt that Wells was the biggest health risk going into this season. Now Saffold goes down. :|

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I believe Hooey was in late last night and was getting torched by 3rd stringers. Depth is the one thing we don't have on the OL.
At least not good depth.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
mojorizen speculating:
I would imagine Les has him on speed dial at this point. It will be interesting to see the Rams' reaction to the Saffold injury in the coming weeks.

Its too bad that the rook B.Jones hasn't participated much in camp. He was/is being groomed as a Center...i would guess that was because among all the starters on the OLine,maybe theRams felt that Wells was the biggest health risk going into this season. Now Saffold goes down. :|

I think that played virtually no part in the decision to groom Jones as a center. I don't believe that Jones has any of the tools needed to become a decent guard. He does have the tolls to become a decent to very good center. Even at center, he needs to get a lot stronger than he is now. He is way too easily bull rushed and this was true even against college DTs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
albefree69 said:
mojorizen speculating:

I think that played virtually no part in the decision to groom Jones as a center. I don't believe that Jones has any of the tools needed to become a decent guard. He does have the tolls to become a decent to very good center. Even at center, he needs to get a lot stronger than he is now. He is way too easily bull rushed and this was true even against college DTs.
You may be right,i have no first hand knowledge of Jones' effectiveness at Guard in college. I just know that he was scouted as a versatile guy who could be moved around the interior of the line.

My speculation is based on the fact that Scott Wells got paid to come in as a FA Center last year,and promptly got hurt....followed by the drafting of Jones. I just wonder if Jones had been healthy from day one,if he would've been involved in the wide open open camp battle at LG.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
mojorizen7 rejoined:
You may be right,i have no first hand knowledge of Jones' effectiveness at Guard in college. I just know that he was scouted as a versatile guy who could be moved around the interior of the line.

My speculation is based on the fact that Scott Wells got paid to come in as a FA Center last year,and promptly got hurt....followed by the drafting of Jones. I just wonder if Jones had been healthy from day one,if he would've been involved in the wide open open camp battle at LG.

I'm not disagreeing with the Wells replacement part of your post. I agree with it. I just disagree with him ever competing for the LG spot.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/09/falcons-place-mike-johnson-on-injured-reserve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-reserve/</a>
BTW, Mike Johnson, the starting RT for Atlanta is out for the year further lessening the chances of finding a replacement for Saffold if he were to go down. Everyone should cross all their appendages.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Right now; Dahl is our 2nd best option at RT.

Not a bad option, but not where we need to be with RGsaffold on the blink.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram pin pointing the short time solution:
Right now; Dahl is our 2nd best option at RT.

Not a bad option, but not where we need to be with RGsaffold on the blink.

:plus1:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
albefree69 said:
mojorizen7 rejoined:

I'm not disagreeing with the Wells replacement part of your post. I agree with it. I just disagree with him ever competing for the LG spot.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/09/falcons-place-mike-johnson-on-injured-reserve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-reserve/</a>
BTW, Mike Johnson, the starting RT for Atlanta is out for the year further lessening the chances of finding a replacement for Saffold if he were to go down. Everyone should cross all their appendages.

Yes, the Johnson injury gives a kid from down here (Valdosta State, a D2 school but defending Nat'l champs) a chance of starting as a rookie. Wow!

Speeps

Starter
Why does Sando cover every team in the NFC West except us? I always got the feeling he didn't like the Rams, but this is odd for him to only cover 3/4 teams in the division.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speeps said:
Why does Sando cover every team in the NFC West except us? I always got the feeling he didn't like the Rams, but this is odd for him to only cover 3/4 teams in the division.
Nick Wagoner recently took over that role, and that's good for us. He'll churn out 3X the amount of stuff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have little faith that Joe Barksdale can handle the starting ORT position should Saffold go down in the regular season. This was my voiced concern before the draft, after the draft & continues to this very moment. I would prefer Richardson over Barksdale myself both are stop gap players. But he also may be one of those players that just needs actual regular game experience to get a lot better!

Howver beside the ongoing saga of Saffold contive injuries the other four positions apear to be in much better shape from last year and the depth outside ORT is better also. Hope we have some ROD'mers able to put their eyes on whats going on this week @ ORT post.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Speeps said:
Nick Wagoner recently took over that role, and that's good for us. He'll churn out 3X the amount of stuff.

As long as he doesn't ask Matt Williamson for his "input".