Saffold injury creates opportunity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm quite sure Wayne Hunter is available and the Rams should sign him IMO. He played well at both tackles spots last season. IMO Ty Nsekhe is better at LT and Barksdale is better at RT. The injury to Braden Brown foiled some of the Rams plans because they really liked him as a RT and he was better than Sean Hooey who is just not strong enough to hold up in the NFL at this point.

Realistically the Rams will only carry 9 OL and two OT's in reserve. So if they really like Barksdale & Nsekhe you might not see them sign anyone, but I would inquire to see if Wayne Hunter would be interested in coming back.

FLramFAN

Rookie
Hunter is exactly who I thought of. Played admirably at both tackle positions last year and even played through being dinged up. Thought they should have kept him for depth and reliability when I heard he wasn't re-signed.
I'm hoping Saffold is fine in 10-14 days and they just pick up things as planned. But this current injury to Saffold, combined with his history, has to have the team wondering what they do if Saffold or Long goes down for a lengthy period of time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FLramFAN said:
Hunter is exactly who I thought of. Played admirably at both tackle positions last year and even played through being dinged up. Thought they should have kept him for depth and reliability when I heard he wasn't re-signed.
I'm hoping Saffold is fine in 10-14 days and they just pick up things as planned. But this current injury to Saffold, combined with his history, has to have the team wondering what they do if Saffold or Long goes down for a lengthy period of time.
Hey! Another Florida Rams fan! (I presume)
Reppin' Palm Beach here. Welcome to ROD!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FLramFAN joining the gang:

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

We knew the situation all along so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'm not panicking yet.

fearsomefour

Legend
Finally saw the game all the way through. All of the lineman had their moments. Can still see that playing with balance is an issue with Williams. A couple of times a guy was able to turn him with one arm and get the angle on him. For a guy his size that means he is playing over his toes usually. There seemed to be some confusion with switches on the line too....not a surprise for the first preseason game. Washington had a couple of plays where he was turning and chasing the Dlineman....not good. Ty looked like he was on roller skates early, then calmed down some. Barksdale ended up on the ground a couple of times. He is just athletic enough to push a guy outside the pocket most of the time. Barnes looks like a keeper to me....mainly because C depth is hard to find and who knows if Jones will be ready. Also because he had the fewest bad moments that I could see with the backups. He got almost zero push in the run game but did maintain the line of scrimmage most times. He didnt give up much pass blocking. If Barksdale gets his hands on his guy it is usually over. But, he is apt to get out of sorts against a double move. I dont know if there is anything that can happen to change Smith, Barksdale, Barnes as our Oline depth (taking for granted Jones is on the injury list).

Work to do with the line and the depth.

The backup QBs played better than I expected....but, I was expecting total disaster from reading the comments on here. The line contributed a lot to the QB issues I think. Clemmons for sure has a better arm....but, that is like saying a guy throws a faster fastball but struggles to throw strikes.

Not a terrible first game by the O, not great. The WRs do have to do a better job catching the ball....again, par for the course pre season week one.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fearsomefour with more game analysis:
Finally saw the game all the way through. All of the lineman had their moments. Can still see that playing with balance is an issue with Williams. A couple of times a guy was able to turn him with one arm and get the angle on him. For a guy his size that means he is playing over his toes usually. There seemed to be some confusion with switches on the line too....not a surprise for the first preseason game. Washington had a couple of plays where he was turning and chasing the Dlineman....not good. Ty looked like he was on roller skates early, then calmed down some. Barksdale ended up on the ground a couple of times. He is just athletic enough to push a guy outside the pocket most of the time. Barnes looks like a keeper to me....mainly because C depth is hard to find and who knows if Jones will be ready. Also because he had the fewest bad moments that I could see with the backups. He got almost zero push in the run game but did maintain the line of scrimmage most times. He didnt give up much pass blocking. If Barksdale gets his hands on his guy it is usually over. But, he is apt to get out of sorts against a double move. I dont know if there is anything that can happen to change Smith, Barksdale, Barnes as our Oline depth (taking for granted Jones is on the injury list).

Work to do with the line and the depth.

The backup QBs played better than I expected....but, I was expecting total disaster from reading the comments on here. The line contributed a lot to the QB issues I think. Clemmons for sure has a better arm....but, that is like saying a guy throws a faster fastball but struggles to throw strikes.

Not a terrible first game by the O, not great. The WRs do have to do a better job catching the ball....again, par for the course pre season week one.
Thanks for the fresh perspective on the O-line. Good stuff.

Now you're gonna have to do this every game. :bat: :cheers:

fearsomefour

Legend
Ha.
I love line play. Sets the tone for the whole team (Oline and Dline) and now that we have some potential playmakers the Oline could be the last thing to hold the O up.