Sad stats of the day: Grob Edition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
per 101sports:

• According to the video-review grades done by Pro Football Focus, Robinson’s overall performance ranks 74th among 79 NFL offensive tackles this season.
  • In pass protection, only seven offensive tackles have a grade worse than Robinson’s.
  • In run blocking, PFF rates only 11 offensive tackles lower than Robinson.
  • Robinson has been flagged for nine holding penalties this season; seven were accepted. He’s been tagged with the most holding penalties in the league so far in 2015. As a rookie Robinson was penalized six times for holding; that makes 13 holds in 26 NFL games (22 starts.) No NFL offense lineman has drawn more holding penalties over the last two seasons.
  • In his 26 NFL games Robinson has been defeated for 10 sacks and committed 21 penalties for 180 yards.
Here’s something that puts Robinson’s 13 holding penalties under a glaring light: Orlando Pace had only ELEVEN holding penalties during his entire NFL career, which consisted of 169 regular-season games.

I hope he can turn it around become even average or be moved to guard.

I will say one or two of the holding calls have seemed kinda BS to me, but even still...

I don't want this to be a bashing of Grob thread, just showing what we all know, that he is not playing well and something needs to change one way or the other.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The more I watch him the more I'm reminded of Jason Smith. Both were number two overalls. Both are looking at the bust label. If he was drafted in the 3rd or 4th round I'd be less critical. I'd just say you get what you pay for. But a number two overall should not be this bad 11 games into his second year. Moving him to guard might be the only way to salvage something. If he was going to improve at LT I think he woulda started by now.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The more I watch him the more I'm reminded of Jason Smith. Both were number two overalls. Both are looking at the bust label..
I'm not arguing that GRob has been bad, but that's a little slim for a Jason Smith comparison. They're both back tackles at 2 so they are the same.

They didn't even play similarly, nor did their career play out the same way.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could part of the reason be the zone scheme we have infused into the system? He went from a power running scheme at Auburn where he hardly ever had to pass block to an NFL power scheme and had to learn to play Guard before moving to Tackle and now had to learn zone schemes which he never had to do before(that I know of). Moving him to guard and going back to a power scheme and simplifying things for him might do him well in his development.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If the refs were consistently accurate this might mean more to me. As it is I could probably count 9 holding penalties per game by opponent tackles against Quinn alone.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The pick definitely appears wasted at this point. Hopefully he can improve and progress. He's still quite raw and young. But man, when you draft a guy #2 overall, it really hurts to have to hope he can just turn into an average player.

I think when it is all said and done he becomes a decent guard for us. He looked pretty good there his rookie season. Time will tell. Hoping for the best!

Athos

Legend
Sorry but I'm over him as a LT. Thought he had the most upside to be a top LT. All he's doing is getting worse. Still requires a vet to hold his hand.

I just want average LT play. He ain't providing it. Just swing him inside next year where he belongs. I'll take two stud guards inside, Brown and GRob, then godawful blindside protection.

He made Justin Smith his bitch playing inside did he not? That's where he needs to be. I'm not sure he has the football IQ to be a LT. Sometimes athleticism and strength makes up for that. He has plenty. It isn't helping him at all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep we have some offensive posts this season that are in fail mode. One is QB, the other is WR, the one consitant OL post is ongoing @ OLT. Now what are some options to look at for 2016 season? Releasing GRob is out of the question & if your paying him 6 million in 2016 you sure want him starting not benched. Rams have invested big very big is this ex second overall selection in the 2014 draft already to play OLT. Especially since player like Odell Beckham Jr.,Khalil Mack, C.J. Mosley & other OL'ers like Zack Martin have been much better players

Would it be wise prudent to expect that GRob will get better fast enough to not be as big of an issue in 2016? Is his progress ongoing or do we see 2 steps forward & then 2 steps back wards ongoing? Rams drafted a very good young Right OT & his back up in Havenstein & Donnal so flipping Grob to ORT would be a place he has never played. Would it be out of the question.

Do we want to remove GRob from the pressure & insert him back inside @ OLG post? But have we not already planned & drafted & purchased $$ a very good UFA OLG prospects in Jamon Brown & Garrett Reynolds already? Do we once again want to upset the entire OL just to resolve the GRob issue again like we did this season? So the movement back inside does nothing to improve this OL in 2016 IMO.

Not a simple answer here IMO. But I do have a plan in my small mind but I would sure like to hear from my fellow ROD family here on our thoughts.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam is the man with the plan:
Not a simple answer here IMO. But I do have a plan in my small mind but I would sure like to hear from my fellow ROD family here on our thoughts.
I don't have a plan so I'll get that our right away. I do have a couple of observations though.
GR is not a tackle. Left or right.
Reynolds should not be starting, he should be our versatile backup. Though he is a slightly below average starter at some positions.
While I had hopes about Jamon Brown future, he has shown me nothing and while it's still very early I wouldn't pencil him in anywhere on the line.
Havenstein, Reynolds (see above) and to a lesser degree Barnes, are the only Ram O-line players I see as a legitimate starters. Now and going forward.
FA and the draft are the only options I see.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Don't get me started about his play. One simple word describes his play... Bad! (and that's being nice) It won't get better until he moves to guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I agree. I do not see any other options in 2015 ride this bad playing big horse now and regroup with a full contention plan early next year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have my doubts he can ever be a serviceable tackle. But since this season is lost it would be best to let him finish where he's at. They can re-evaluate everything during the offseason. Maybe they should look at a plan B there. Too bad Saffold can't finish a season. He was at least decent when he played there. But there's almost zero chance he won't get hurt and miss games.

But even with the problems at LT, quarterback is the top priority. For almost half the season we had a defense that could stop anyone and an average veteran QB woulda likely played well enough to get us a couple more wins. If we return the same defense along with Gurley, all we need is average play at QB. The current level of play is so bad, there's a long way to go to be average.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Brown looked good at LG. Not so much at RG. Does the staff think Brown can become adept at playing the right side? After all, he only had a few games there and was a rookie. It is quite plausible he can play the right side of the line. If so, perhaps we should go with this next year:

Saffold - Robinson - [some center that is better than Barnes] - Brown - Havenstein

That looks pretty decent on paper to me. Until Saffold gets hurt of course, the constant shuffling starts, and the line never gels. We really need to move on from Saffold. He just isn't on the field enough. We may need him for another year yet, however, as a bandaid. It might take more than 1 more off-season to fully fix this line.

EDIT - Wasn't Jamon Brown drafted as a tackle? Any chance he could play LT? He is less raw than Battle...

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
This couldn't go in the other "Let's shit on Greg Robinson" thread?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want this to be a bashing of Grob thread, just showing what we all know, that he is not playing well and something needs to change one way or the other.

You made a thread to bash Robinson but you don't want this to be a bash Robinson thread? This is a lot like a person covering an abandoned warehouse with gasoline, handing a bunch of pyros matches, and then saying, "I don't want to start a fire but I just wanted to show y'all that we could light this warehouse on fire if we wanted to...."

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You made a thread to bash Robinson but you don't want this to be a bash Robinson thread? This is a lot like a person covering an abandoned warehouse with gasoline, handing a bunch of pyros matches, and then saying, "I don't want to start a fire but I just wanted to show y'all that we could light this warehouse on fire if we wanted to...."
lol i suppose. I never said he sucked or anything, just gave facts about him not performing up to par and wanted to know how people would correct this issue. (Hands you a box of matches).....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yep we have some offensive posts this season that are in fail mode. One is QB, the other is WR, the one consitant OL post is ongoing @ OLT. Now what are some options to look at for 2016 season? Releasing GRob is out of the question & if your paying him 6 million in 2016 you sure want him starting not benched. Rams have invested big very big is this ex second overall selection in the 2014 draft already to play OLT. Especially since player like Odell Beckham Jr.,Khalil Mack, C.J. Mosley & other OL'ers like Zack Martin have been much better players

Would it be wise prudent to expect that GRob will get better fast enough to not be as big of an issue in 2016? Is his progress ongoing or do we see 2 steps forward & then 2 steps back wards ongoing? Rams drafted a very good young Right OT & his back up in Havenstein & Donnal so flipping Grob to ORT would be a place he has never played. Would it be out of the question.

Do we want to remove GRob from the pressure & insert him back inside @ OLG post? But have we not already planned & drafted & purchased $$ a very good UFA OLG prospects in Jamon Brown & Garrett Reynolds already? Do we once again want to upset the entire OL just to resolve the GRob issue again like we did this season? So the movement back inside does nothing to improve this OL in 2016 IMO.

No easy and clear cut solutions to our OL for next year, Bonifay, are there?

But I'll take a shot, anyway. Written in pencil, of course.

I see Hav as our 10 year starter at RT.

I see Brown as a starter at OG for a long spell, also. Not sure which side, though.

We need an upgrade at C over Barnes. Either draft or FA, I don't care. But it needs to happen before we start the '16 season.

Saffold shouldn't be our starter at the OG spot opposite Brown. Or anywhere else, for that matter. His injury history makes him unreliable and we need OL continuity which would be impossible with Saffold. I think Saffold's contract means we have to retain him for another year. But in a backup role, please.

Can Wichmann be a starting OG after a year in the weight room? I just don't know. I do know that it would be best if Reynolds were to be our multipurpose OL bench player. Maybe with Saffold for a year, too.

Which brings me to GRob. I'm conflicted regarding him, frankly. We all see potential, but we all expected better results by now. And CoachO's reference about GRob's reluctance to study film is troubling. So I guess I'm in the wait and see camp re GRob. Hell, maybe Battle and/or Williams might be our future at LOT.

Bottom line?

I see Hav and Brown as starters next year.
I see GRob as starter but with a shorter leash if Williams and/or Battle improve.
I see new C via draft or FA.
I see a likely new starting OG via draft (round 4?) or FA.

But most of all, I hope to Gawd that we see a new HC and OC calling the shots and making all these tough decisions.

Is all this anywhere close to your what you see in your plan?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
:ROFLMAO: