Running back evaluation...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This year the Rams will go with a running back by committee approach. I'm curious how much of what I see is shared by my fellow fans. The following is my evaluation of where each rank in the following catagories.

Long speed: 1 Richardson 2 Pead 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Quickness: 1 Pead 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Ability between the tackles: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Yardage after contact: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Pead
Pass Pro: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Versatiltiy: 1 Cunningham 2 Pead 3 Stacy 4 Richardson
Experience: 1 Richardson 2 Pead 3 Stacy 4 Cunningham
Hole recognition: 1 Cunningham 2 Stacy 3 Richardson 4 Pead
Receiving: 1 Richardson 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Stacy
Ball security: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Pead

Interestingly, in a cumulative score, I get the following numbers:
Cunningham 22, Stacy 24, Richardson 26, Pead 28

I'm not sure what it all means but I'm willing to bet I'll get a few people to sharpen my thinking on the matter.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think we will have a better understanding if Cunningham and stacy get to play with the first team offense

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'd give you my analysis but I haven't seen enough of any of them to attempt that. Even DR and Pead's abilities are clouded due to the inability of our O-line to run block effectively against a stacked box.

Memphis Ram

Legend
lockdnram21 said:
I think we will have a better understanding if Cunningham and stacy get to play with the first team offense

Yeah, the 2nd/3rd team Olines are abysmal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find knowing where the RB's are at to be one of the biggest mysteries of the team.

To this point teams have been loading up and making it very difficult to create running lanes. Once we prove to teams to respect our pass, that should loosen.

Unlike years past, it feels like we're 4 deep and that feels pretty good.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
leoram said:
This year the Rams will go with a running back by committee approach. I'm curious how much of what I see is shared by my fellow fans. The following is my evaluation of where each rank in the following catagories.

I'm not sure what it all means but I'm willing to bet I'll get a few people to sharpen my thinking on the matter.
Peads 40 time is almost 1/10 faster so that order is wrong on long speed and I'd say quickness is the reverse as well.

After last night I think Pead is finally getting some comfort level and it's turning into a push between him and DR (who was way ahead) and that is a great thing, if they can handle the pressure,they will both benefit from the competition and so will we.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I find knowing where the RB's are at to be one of the biggest mysteries of the team.

To this point teams have been loading up and making it very difficult to create running lanes. Once we prove to teams to respect our pass, that should loosen.

The only reason they are successful loading up is because Fish is holding back the offense. I would love to see the cards try to load up the LOS on this Horns team. A couple TD's to Chris and Jared, and they will rediscover the beauty of playing off the LOS. :lol:

bskrilla

Starter
leoram said:

Those are my biggest two disagreements. Pead is far and away the best in pass Pro at this time, and he gets better YAC than Richardson.

Not sure we have enough info to evaluate a couple of the other areas (ie Ball security, hole recognition)

I think you're a little high on Cunningham. He's looked good, not great, and he's been playing against mostly 2's and 3's.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

The only reason they are successful loading up is because Fish is holding back the offense. I would love to see the cards try to load up the LOS on this Horns team. A couple TD's to Chris and Jared, and they will rediscover the beauty of playing off the LOS. :lol:

I almost wish we didn't have a 4th preseason game to play. It feels like we're ready for week 1 - or at the very least - ready to expand things for the regular season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
bskrilla said:
leoram said:

Those are my biggest two disagreements. Pead is far and away the best in pass Pro at this time, and he gets better YAC than Richardson.

Not sure we have enough info to evaluate a couple of the other areas (ie Ball security, hole recognition)

I think you're a little high on Cunningham. He's looked good, not great, and he's been playing against mostly 2's and 3's.
YEAH I look forward to Pead silencing his critics,cuz :
1. I love them and hate arguing with them
2. It only makes US better

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I almost wish we didn't have a 4th preseason game to play. It feels like we're ready for week 1 - or at the very least - ready to expand things for the regular season.

Well, we still could stand to see Stacy and Benny run behind the #1 OL to help get them feeling more settled. Running behind our backup OL isn't very nice. We are gonna need some serious beef in the OL next season---or even this season, if possible.

Ram4life11

Rookie
bskrilla said:
leoram said:

Doesn't it kinda go both ways with Cunningham? I no hes playing against 2s and 3s, but our 2s and 3s Oline is horrible..

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram4life11 added:

Doesn't it kinda go both ways with Cunningham? I no hes playing against 2s and 3s, but our 2s and 3s Oline is horrible..

In many cases yes. 2nd stringers being a step below the first stringers and third stringers being a step below second stringers. That's not the case with the Rams second string O-line. There is such a huge drop off from the first stringers that it really makes it difficult to evaluate players. That's why the rams are alternating Williams and Smith at LG. I wish they would do that at other positions too.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

Really?

Let's see we can't run for shyte, pre-snap penalties all over the place and just exactly how many "sustained" drives have we seen by this offense ending with a TD? Let's see, this week 0, last 2 games before then how many were there? Vanilla or no vanilla, just as Bradford and Fisher both suggested, they still have a lot of work to do.....thank heaven they still have two weeks to prepare, they need every second of it.

I suspect this season will be earmarked by the spectacular plays we'll see from the likes of Austin & Cook, but for me it's about consistancy and production (TD's). This team MUST be able to average AT LEAST 24 points a game and probably closer to 28 pts to have a shot at a playoff spot.

Don't get me wrong, I love spectacular plays, who doesn't? But if they can't execute with consistancy and maintain ball control, we may end up with a full reel of highlights and another year below .500.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What he said ^^^. This offense needs all the preseason it can get. We were outgained 450 to 198 in total yds last night. They had 27 first downs to our ELEVEN. THAT is pathetic. This offense has been turderific for years now and doesn't look any better thus far in preseason. Lots of work to do. Lots of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

Really?

Let's see we can't run for shyte, pre-snap penalties all over the place and just exactly how many "sustained" drives have we seen by this offense ending with a TD? Let's see, this week 0, last 2 games before then how many were there? Vanilla or no vanilla, just as Bradford and Fisher both suggested, they still have a lot of work to do.....thank heaven they still have two weeks to prepare, they need every second of it.

I suspect this season will be earmarked by the spectacular plays we'll see from the likes of Austin & Cook, but for me it's about consistancy and production (TD's). This team MUST be able to average AT LEAST 24 points a game and probably closer to 28 pts to have a shot at a playoff spot.

Don't get me wrong, I love spectacular plays, who doesn't? But if they can't execute with consistancy and maintain ball control, we may end up with a full reel of highlights and another year below .500.

Yeah, I mean if we're going to stay vanilla and not scheme I've seen enough. Without a scheme do you really expect the running game to improve? The likelihood of sustained drives without a scheme?

Pre-snap penalties have mostly been the 2nd units, eh?

I think the only significant benefit game 4 is the younger players and roster decisions.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Lesson

Oh, really?
Faceplant said:
What he said ^^^. This offense needs all the preseason it can get. We were outgained 450 to 198 in total yds last night. They had 27 first downs to our ELEVEN. THAT is pathetic. This offense has been turderific for years now and doesn't look any better thus far in preseason. Lots of work to do. Lots of it.

How many of Denver's yards were gained with their 1st string OL in vs the Rams backup/3rd string D in the 2nd half?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
ramsince62 said:
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

Really?

Yeah, I mean if we're going to stay vanilla and not scheme I've seen enough. Without a scheme do you really expect the running game to improve? The likelihood of sustained drives without a scheme?

Pre-snap penalties have mostly been the 2nd units, eh?

I think the only significant benefit game 4 is the younger players and roster decisions.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Gee, CGI, I wonder how the other teams do it preseason or are the Rams the only ones not scheming to this point? This O line isn't run blocking well enough (yet), is there any doubt? As for pre-snap penalties, I'd have to go back and review the game, but I think you're mistaken, the starters had their share I believe.

In this game, the defense kept us in it, that's what I saw anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

How many of Denver's yards were gained with their 1st string OL in vs the Rams backup/3rd string D in the 2nd half?
3IKVOdn.png

Lesson

Oh, really?
ramsince62 said:
Gee, CGI, I wonder how the other teams do it preseason or are the Rams the only ones not scheming to this point? This O line isn't run blocking well enough (yet), is there any doubt? As for pre-snap penalties, I'd have to go back and review the game, but I think you're mistaken, the starters had their share I believe.

In this game, the defense kept us in it, that's what I saw anyway.

There were 3 from what I can tell from the box score.

A false start by Long, delay of game, and an illegal formation penalty on Saffold after not being told by the ref that he wasn't on the LOS.

2 of those penalties are on the Rams, 1 of them is on the ref.