Rothlisberger V Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Let's assume for a day that Big Ben and Matty Ice are accurate comps for Wentz and Goff. Who would you choose? They both are blessed with great receivers and sometimes, but not always, good offensive line talent. Both have been to Pro Bowls. Although Gontz wouldn't be blessed with even close to the same receiving talent, they would both have a better RB than their comps.

Choose my brethren, even though I've purported a huge assumption...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was initially in the Wentz camp since the trade. I like his physical traits like size and mobility. He doesn't shy away from contact. He will take a snap and run up the gut. Tough guy. Reminds me of Big Ben but a more willing runner. Big Ben ran only when necessary and not so much at this stage. Both and withstand hits and are tough to sack.

But after watching some film on both QB's I really like Goff. He seems more fluid in his motions. More polished in the pocket. Not afraid to attack defenses. And more mobile than I initially thought. He won't be running on designed plays, but he can scramble when necessary. And he knows when to slide or run out of bounds.

Big Ben has accomplished more than Ryan, but I also think he's had more talent around him. Especially on defense. He hasn't had to play catch up as much as Ryan. Both quarterbacks have been pretty good. Those teams don't have to to worry about the position with them.

So all in all, I think either Goff or Wentz will be successful in the right system. With the Rams, they can protect the quarterback with a guy like Gurley. Defenses will be focusing on Gurley. The new QB can use that. I expect them to play more conservative until they feel the new guy is ready to up his game. They will ask him to be more of a game manager while they bring him along. Which is why I thought it would be Wentz. Goff has more of the gunslinger mentality.

But everything I'm hearing says its Goff. Which in my opinion is the right choice. When it comes to the 4th quarter and you need to make plays to give yourself a chance at winning, I think Goff is more suited for that than Wentz. But can Goff transition from the typical college spread/shotgun to the NFL WCO? I think he will, but I don't know how long it will take.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Said all along that Big Ben would fit this team much better. This team has drafted to fit this mold better and I think after this doesn't work, they could get someone to install the Earhardt Perkins offense like they run in Pitt and you'd have EVERYTHING to be a Super Bowl team... next Big Ben, RB as good as LeVeon Bell, weapon in Tavon Austin. Decent deep threat in Britt who hasn't been utilized because no one has the arm to utilize him.

It's all there for a dynastic run....

Matt Ryan has been a good to very good QB depending on several factors including weak division and health of his weapons. He's also had long streaks of looking very Matt Schaub like... very pedestrian.

But that's the comps, not the players.

We're getting Goff and hoping for the best...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ryan has had to play keep up to this point in his career.
ATL's D isn't and hasn't been good.

Ben has been blessed with a talented team for most, if not all of his career.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like Matt Ryan. His o line had always been shit. His running game has mostly been meh until Freeman showed up. And he's an iron man. Hasn't missed a game in his career. And that defense is epically shit. Ben has the better online, receivers are comparable, and the better defense and running back. Hard to say, but I'd take Ryan.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 110

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Ryan has had to play keep up to this point in his career.
ATL's D isn't and hasn't been good.

Ben has been blessed with a talented team for most, if not all of his career.

Well, I could argue that, but that's mostly a distraction.

The point was for this team as is as well as the players they are likely to draft, the player that fits what they are likely to actually do remains Wentz...cuz, ya know... I just don't believe that they can or are capable of making the changes that will enable Goff to be successful.

But Goff's the pick, so all that's left is to hope they figure something out...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is Matt Ryan the comp for Goff? Similar frame, I get that. But Ryan was a mere 59% thrower and had "only" 56td in 1300+ pa
Goff on the other hand is a 62% guy, and had almost double the Td production (96) on only 200 more pa
Why does it seem that Wentz gets compared in a favorable light while Goff gets less favorable comps?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This really isn't a fair question to ask so far into their careers. You'd have to ask which was preferable coming out of college. Most people in that instance, completely ignoring their pro futures would take Ryan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, some have compared Goff's pocket presence to Tom Brady and Wentz to Joe Flacco, so when it's spun that way, which do your prefer? Taking personalities out of it of course.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Why is Matt Ryan the comp for Goff? Similar frame, I get that. But Ryan was a mere 59% thrower and had "only" 56td in 1300+ pa
Goff on the other hand is a 62% guy, and had almost double the Td production (96) on only 200 more pa
Why does it seem that Wentz gets compared in a favorable light while Goff gets less favorable comps?

I didn't pick Ryan... that's the comp I've seen most and not just as a function of size.
When I put up the comps, I said of the two, Big Ben and Brees... I'm just trying to not talk past folks because of using different comps is all...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is why I think they pick Wentz. A Goff pick makes me very happy but I think the higher graded prospect is Wentz and has been all along.

I didn't believe that Cleveland wanted Goff. That was smoke IMO. The Rams saw through it and went up for their guy. Or that's my theory anyways.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really a fair comparison. I think Ben has to be the answer here. Especially with Ryan struggling in Lil' Shanny's scheme last year. But Wentz isn't Ben and Goff isn't Ryan. Wentz is Wentz and Goff is Goff. Mack has used Brees as a Goff comparison and I can see it. There's a big size difference but they have a lot of other similarities. I think Wentz has more in common with Carson Palmer than Big Ben.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Big Ben at Miami, Ohio

3 year starter - goes nfl after junior season
10,829 passing yards
80 TD passes -23 picks

Wentz at NDSU

Red shirts then rides pine for 2 years
5115 passing yards
45 TD passing 14 picks

Has a week of practice where no bonafide first rounders attend and mediocre senior bowl, now anointed by some as the overall number one ( just wow)

Not seeing a real comparison here

Totally disagree with the Matty Ice comparison

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I like Matt Ryan. His o line had always been crap. His running game has mostly been meh until Freeman showed up. And he's an iron man. Hasn't missed a game in his career. And that defense is epically crap. Ben has the better online, receivers are comparable, and the better defense and running back. Hard to say, but I'd take Ryan.

Great way of putting it.

I'll be happy with Goff or Wentz, although just watching the two play, I'm leaning Goff simply because the mechanics are already there. Wentz might have the higher ceiling, but since when can Snisher develop offensive talent?

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I don't necessarily love the Big Ben and Ryan comparisons but I'd take Big Ben all day every time. In the other thread I like the Derek Carr and Bortles comparison a little better. I love Derek Carr (future pro bowler imo) and I think Goff will be just as good or better. Goff pls.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I sure hope Goff is a lot better than Matt Ryan. Ryan is certainly better than any QB on our roster - but he isn't exactly carrying the Falcons to glory. He is good enough to make their loses kinda close but they are still losses. I want a superstar. I want a guy who is in the conversation for best QB in the league and let's be real - Matt Ryan has never been and likely never will be in that conversation.

Big Ben is right there on the cusp of that conversation but will likely never break through because of all of the rapiness.