Rookie Profile: Garrett Gilbert

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Love Garrett Gilbert as a player and as a kid. Great parents. Bad breaks with Mack Brown (who is been put to pasture)
He's a Lake Travis kid which is the high school my kids would go to if they weren't homeschooled, but we go to church with their family and I couldn't be more thrilled to see him get drafted by the Rams
Great upside and potentially a really solid career backup for this team.

He's the recent line of some great Central Texas QB's like RG3 (Copperas Cove), Brees (Westlake), Foles (Westlake), Dalton (Katy), Stephen McGee (Burnett), and that isn't even naming the up and coming kids

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't have much hope for him, personally, due mainly to his struggles with Texas to his iffy stats until his last year. STILL, I'll admit it's nice to have a depth QB who actually has some talent, because he does have a strong arm and is quite athletic.

I'd love nothing more than to see the Rams hit the lottery with him, but it's also hard to imagine that happening under a median OC. Got my fingers crossed, either way.

FRO

Legend
I liked the pick a lot. He was the late round QB I preferred. He has always had the talent, but he didn't put it all together until late. Let's hope he can sit and develop. Good to see Sam throwing in the video.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't have much hope for him, personally, due mainly to his struggles with Texas to his iffy stats until his last year. STILL, I'll admit it's nice to have a depth QB who actually has some talent, because he does have a strong arm and is quite athletic.

I'd love nothing more than to see the Rams hit the lottery with him, but it's also hard to imagine that happening under a median OC. Got my fingers crossed, either way.
same here
train

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Gilbert's struggles at Texas are on Mack Brown as far as I am concerned.

If anyone can let us know any player in the past 3 years didn't "struggle" while at Texas, i'd love to know. I mean this is why Mack Brown lost his job -- because he couldn't deal with QB's, especially after VY

FACT - this year there wasn't one Texas player drafted this year. That has never happened before to my knowledge

Texas, because of Mack Brown, gave way to recruiting to Baylor and Texas A&M which is unheard of - here are some names Mack Brown ignored -- RG3 wanted to come to UT, same with JFF, and another famous Texas QB Andrew Luck who's dad is a Texas Ex was completely ignored.
Even Jameis Winston is quoted as saying he wanted to play for the Longhorns - did that matter to Mack? NO. Thank goodness for them, cause they would have been discarded -- I mean take a look at James Franklin at Mizzou - he was at Texas and discarded by Mack Brown - he's now with the Lions as a UDFA. I bet many of you Mizzou fans like that kid plenty.

Gilbert had no running game his first year as a starter; he had no receiving corps, and a weak o-line - plus he was put in there too early. No time like Bryce Petty for example (another QB ignored by Mack) played behind 2 QB's before getting his start.
Look for Petty to be a Top 20 Pick next year.

The fact is Mack Brown is gone and Charlie Strong is in.

Garrett Gilbert played like a man in the National Championship game - sure he threw a few picks, but he was a true freshman and hadn't started all year and was thrust into action on the biggest stage ever - he almost led a great comeback against Alabama.
Check out this composure and the pass to Shipley in the video below.

Garrett is going to be a 10 year career back-up but his struggles were not of his own making. It was from gross mismanagement and Mack Brown's part and that is why the Texas program is in shambles and starting over.

Speeps

Starter
I'm a fan. However, my favorite part was seeing Sam throw the football.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forget the facial expression.
Look at the howitzer.

vJXT8im.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
i thought this was a Gilbert thread. anyway, just proves my point he will be a great backup :)
All roads lead to Bradford. Even the road from Kevin Bacon.

Kevin Bacon was in the movie Sleepers with Robert Castle, who was in the Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington, whose son was drafted by the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
All roads lead to Bradford. Even the road from Kevin Bacon.

Kevin Bacon was in the movie Sleepers with Robert Castle, who was in the Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington, whose son was drafted by the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays.

Kevin Bacon was in the movie Frost/Nixon directed by Ron Howard, who was in the 2000 film The Independant, which starred Fred Dryer who played for the Rams the team on which Sam Bradford plays

936full-fred-dryer.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kevin Bacon was in the movie Frost/Nixon directed by Ron Howard, who was in the 2000 film The Independant, which starred Fred Dryer who played for the Rams the team on which Sam Bradford plays

View attachment 1932
Yeah? Well, Kevin Bacon was in Hero at Large with William Bogert, who was in Heaven Can Wait with Deacon Jones, who played for the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yeah? Well, Kevin Bacon was in Hero at Large with William Bogert, who was in Heaven Can Wait with Deacon Jones, who played for the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays.

Interesting
Well, Kevin Bacon was in "He Said, She Said" with Sharon Stone, who was in "The Quick and the Dead" with Woody Strode, who played for the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting
Well, Kevin Bacon was in "He Said, She Said" with Sharon Stone, who was in "The Quick and the Dead" with Woody Strode, who played for the Rams, the team on which Sam Bradford plays
Nicely done. But.

Kevin Bacon was in 'Death Sentence' with Jim Keisler, who was in 'Who's Your Caddy' with Terry Crews, who was drafted by the Rams, who also drafted Sam Bradford.

FRO

Legend
Gilbert's struggles at Texas are on Mack Brown as far as I am concerned.

If anyone can let us know any player in the past 3 years didn't "struggle" while at Texas, i'd love to know. I mean this is why Mack Brown lost his job -- because he couldn't deal with QB's, especially after VY

FACT - this year there wasn't one Texas player drafted this year. That has never happened before to my knowledge

Texas, because of Mack Brown, gave way to recruiting to Baylor and Texas A&M which is unheard of - here are some names Mack Brown ignored -- RG3 wanted to come to UT, same with JFF, and another famous Texas QB Andrew Luck who's dad is a Texas Ex was completely ignored.
Even Jameis Winston is quoted as saying he wanted to play for the Longhorns - did that matter to Mack? NO. Thank goodness for them, cause they would have been discarded -- I mean take a look at James Franklin at Mizzou - he was at Texas and discarded by Mack Brown - he's now with the Lions as a UDFA. I bet many of you Mizzou fans like that kid plenty.

Gilbert had no running game his first year as a starter; he had no receiving corps, and a weak o-line - plus he was put in there too early. No time like Bryce Petty for example (another QB ignored by Mack) played behind 2 QB's before getting his start.
Look for Petty to be a Top 20 Pick next year.

The fact is Mack Brown is gone and Charlie Strong is in.

Garrett Gilbert played like a man in the National Championship game - sure he threw a few picks, but he was a true freshman and hadn't started all year and was thrust into action on the biggest stage ever - he almost led a great comeback against Alabama.
Check out this composure and the pass to Shipley in the video below.

Garrett is going to be a 10 year career back-up but his struggles were not of his own making. It was from gross mismanagement and Mack Brown's part and that is why the Texas program is in shambles and starting over.

Off topic, but Charlie Strong was a great hire by Texas. He will do well there.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Forget the facial expression.
Look at the howitzer.

vJXT8im.jpg

Sam was kinda puny his rookie year, a rail in college. The dude's really spent some time in the weight room.

As for Gilbert, meh. Rams coulda picked any other late round QB and I wouldn't know the difference.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Kevin Bacon was in A Few Good Men, with Keifer Sutherland, whose dad Donald appeared on Solid Gold with Marylin McCoo.... oh wait, i'm done

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ok, guess I will win this one.

Kevin Bacon was in the movie "JFK" along with Kevin Costner. Kevin Costner visited the Rams(the team on which Sam Bradford plays) in England in 2012 while they were practicing for the New England game.

So is that 1 degree of separation? or 2?