Rookie Camp Recap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-rookie-camp-fisher-20160508-story.html

There were no long passes. No sensational moves. No outstanding pursuits or tackles.

And that suited Rams Coach Jeff Fisher just fine.

After two days of watching the Rams' drafted players and free agents go through a rookie orientation and mini-camp in Oxnard, Fisher was pleased that players observed the half-speed mandate and came away informed and uninjured.

"You want a healthy roster when you start training camp," Fisher said Saturday.

"You're looking at the mental thing," he said. "Are they doing the right thing?"

With two days of meetings and workouts behind them, the players will have Sunday off before a week of immersion and observation in preparation for getting onto the field with veteran players.

"The objective of what we're doing is so that it's not a shock," Fisher said.

Most of the new players will introduce themselves to veterans during a team meeting Monday — "That's always amusing," Fisher said — but some, including quarterback Jared Goff, will return to their college campuses for final exams.

Goff, the top pick in the draft, was not allowed to cut loose during the mini-camp or show many of the skills he demonstrated during predraft workouts.

But Fisher said the former California standout was given much more information to process.

"He handled it without any problem, and that's the impressive thing," Fisher said. "I passed [Friday] night . . . and he was leaving the meeting room at 10 o'clock. He's that kind of guy. He's spending the time."

Tight end Temarrick Hemingway, a sixth-round draft pick from South Carolina State, said Goff worked to make a connection even before mini-camp.

"After I got drafted, he texted me immediately after, 'I can't wait to work with you,'" Hemingway said. "That just showed me what kind of guy he is.

"He comes in early to work. He's always ready to work."

Fisher said the Rams will continue to give Goff information during his absence so he won't be behind when he returns from Berkeley.

Big impression

Hemingway is listed at 6 feet 5 and said he weighs 245 pounds.

That's much heavier than the player who began his college career as a 170-pound receiver before switching to tight end.

"I started gaining weight pretty fast" in college, he said, laughing. "I gained more than 'the Freshman 30' or 'the Freshman 20,' whatever you want to call it.

"I had like 'the Freshman 50.'"

Hemingway was one of two tight ends drafted by the Rams. Tyler Higbee of Western Kentucky was a fourth-round pick.

Hemingway is adapting to new terminology and said he was enjoying the demands of being a pro.

"It's a lot of work — a lot of hard work," he said. "In college you can do it if you want to, but here you need to go ahead and do it to get ahead. . . . It's more competitive here in the NFL.

"I'm loving it because it makes you better."

Catching on

Receiver Michael Thomas is accustomed to going full-speed on long routes, but he welcomed the slowed-down approach of the mini-camp.

"By walking us through everything, it's great because I get to learn the depth of routes and the concepts of routes and plays," he said.

Les Snead said after the draft that Thomas was particularly adept at making catches in the air in contested situations with defenders.

Thomas is looking forward to showing those skills.

"I go up strong for the ball and make dynamic plays and stretch the field vertically," he said. "That's something I'm very good at and something I can bring to the table on this young team."

Defending his ground

Linebacker Josh Forrest was the only defensive player among the Rams' draftees. The sixth-round pick began his college career at Kentucky as a receiver, but then switched to safety, outside linebacker and then middle linebacker.

The 6-3, 255-pound Forrest said he was working at the strong-side spot during the mini-camp. Competing against tight ends, he said, will offer a change of pace.

"Going from middle linebacker and having to deal with bigger guys, and now going back to tight ends is a little easier," he said. "I definitely think that playing all the positions helped me."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
New Beat Writer Gary Klein is also getting up to speed this was a good piece broke down some of the other players like the info on Temarrick Hemingway besides now having one of the best names in the NFL researching Hemingway is that he's a willing and tenacious blocker that can get down the field as well, it will be nice having additional weapons at that position and I look forward to his development under new Tight End Coach John Lilly.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am getting cynical in my old(er) age....it seems rare anymore that a player ISN'T described as being "there early and staying late'.' Sam was that guy...Kellen Clemmens was that guy...So was our only QB with a winning record since Bulger, Case Keenum....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am getting cynical in my old(er) age....it seems rare anymore that a player ISN'T described as being "there early and staying late'.' Sam was that guy...Kellen Clemmens was that guy...So was our only QB with a winning record since Bulger, Case Keenum....

He wasn't a Ram obviously, but RG3 wasn't the stay late guy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I get it, but it's nice to know that the rookie is putting in the time, however, yes it's now coach's speak, but I do miss the times of Kenny Stabler who was the first one into a bar and the last one out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't a Ram obviously, but RG3 wasn't the stay late guy.
Didn't pay attention to him and am mostly talking about Rams culture...When I hear this, it seems on par with the Chris Long happy talk before every losing season...(Can you tell I am tired of happy talk before losing seasons??)
I just want a winning season and another playoff before I die.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Talk and very high expectations are blue sky at this point...Hope they come to fruition though...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want to see a lot more than this^, from the Rams, Before I Die! Like (3 or 4) Back-to-back-to back SB appearances!!;)

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Didn't pay attention to him and am mostly talking about Rams culture...When I hear this, it seems on par with the Chris Long happy talk before every losing season...(Can you tell I am tired of happy talk before losing seasons??)

Bingo, Exactly and Dead On (pun intended).....:yess:

jap

Legend
Neither was Roethlisberger until midway through his career.

Neither was Sonny Jurgenson, the Natural, even when he played for uber strict Vince Lombardi. However, when Vince saw Sonny tossing short- to intermediate-range passes behind his back! to receivers in practice, he saw reason to cut Sonny a little slack. I believe Sonny was the only pot-bellied "skilled position' player who ever played for Vince.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Talk and very high expectations are blue sky at this point...Hope they come to fruition though...

Pre-season talk and blue skies, cool aid drinking, is all the nature of NFL fandom every spring/summer. Personally I prefer the hope and optimism from fellow fans. It is much more fun than getting slapped with reality all of the time. I tried the skeptic dour route in the late 90's and it doesn't leave much to look forward to. Then 99' came and I realized you should never lose hope in the NFL. Things can change very quickly.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm glad we got Hemingway....I had J. Adams ranked a little higher due to the conference he played in, but I also liked Hemingway. should be an excellent TE.

Goff supposedly put on 15 lbs, but man has he looked tiny in all the camp pictures I've seen. He looks smaller than he did in college.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah 65, honing his "passing skills" shooting ping pong balls into beer cups at the local bar.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm glad we got Hemingway....I had J. Adams ranked a little higher due to the conference he played in, but I also liked Hemingway. should be an excellent TE.

Goff supposedly put on 15 lbs, but man has he looked tiny in all the camp pictures I've seen. He looks smaller than he did in college.

There was a report that Goff's nutritionist figured out why he was not gaining weight. So, hopefully he continues to beef up.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
There was a report that Goff's nutritionist figured out why he was not gaining weight. So, hopefully he continues to beef up.

I'm telling ya. Pizza. And laying around. His secret. Fisher saw him leaving the facilities late the other night. Playbook in one hand. Empty pizza box in the other.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get it, but it's nice to know that the rookie is putting in the time, however, yes it's now coach's speak, but I do miss the times of Kenny Stabler who was the first one into a bar and the last one out.
Cig hanging from his lip the whole time too IIRR.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pre-season talk and blue skies, cool aid drinking, is all the nature of NFL fandom every spring/summer. Personally I prefer the hope and optimism from fellow fans. It is much more fun than getting slapped with reality all of the time. I tried the skeptic dour route in the late 90's and it doesn't leave much to look forward to. Then 99' came and I realized you should never lose hope in the NFL. Things can change very quickly.
Like x 10,000