Roger Saffold is a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He can make up for a couple missed games in the playoffs. ;)

Kinda like working OT to make up for hours u missed at work...

Let's just hope he plays in those playoff games >16 games.

History shows it's a stretch.

Don't get me wrong; love the talent. Just want him on the field. This is a huge gamble by the Rams IMO.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Let's just hope he plays in those playoff games >16 games.

History shows it's a stretch.

Don't get me wrong; love the talent. Just want him on the field. This is a huge gamble by the Rams IMO.

Honestly, I think it's just as big, or bigger, of a gamble to let him walk. I didn't want him for what the Raiders offered... we're just blessed.

We woulda had to burn a second round pick on an OG on top of it. Now we don't. That's gotta be taken into consideration.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Honestly, I think it's just as big, or bigger, of a gamble to let him walk. I didn't want him for what the Raiders offered... we're just blessed.

We woulda had to burn a second round pick on an OG on top of it. Now we don't. That's gotta be taken into consideration.

Good point. But if it's Joseph or Saffold... And ones $6M and the other $3M... I'd put my chips on Joseph.

Maybe we get both?

But we need healthy guys with Long and Wells less than healthy as a general rule... Now Saffold too.

Seems like a lot of fingers crossed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good point. But if it's Joseph or Saffold... And ones $6M and the other $3M... I'd put my chips on Joseph.

Maybe we get both?

But we need healthy guys with Long and Wells less than healthy as a general rule... Now Saffold too.

Seems like a lot of fingers crossed.

This is scary...

If we sign and plug Joseph in at LG, our line could look like...

Long-Joseph-Wells-Saffold-Barks

Disturbing but talented lol...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
From Peter King

PHYSICAL ISSUES. Can you elaborate on the Rodger Saffold situation? It would seem to me that he would have some footing for filing a grievance against the team if the team doctor’s examination didn’t agree with multiple other doctors that are just as qualified to evaluate his labrum. Was the agreement verbal or written pending the physical? What are the player’s rights in this situation when it ultimately cost him significant dollars?

— Todd, Albemarle, N.C.

Every time an NFL team reaches a contract agreement with a player, it is subject to that player passing the team’s physical exam. A team doesn’t have to tell you why it might be failing a player when another team has passed the player. For instance, when Anthony Munoz came out of USC, he was flunked on the physical by a lot of teams because of a questionable knee. So even though it might appear to be unethical, the Raiders don’t owe Saffold or his agents an explanation other than to say, “He flunked our physical.” However, I feel the way Saffold’s agents feel: You can always find a reason to flunk a guy on a physical if you really want. And I think there is some evidence to suggest that the Raiders wanted to fail him on the physical.

RamsFan14

Starter
Well when he played guard, he was a stud! If they wanted him to play guard, then they could have gotten a good player with that money honestly. I'm not sure if a player is safer health wise if they play guard, but I didn't hear anything out of Saffold injury wise when he played guard (that I can remember)... Maybe that's just luck but I'm hoping that's the case cause he's great at guard, Oakland could be missing out if he stays healthy (which is obviously the big question with him).

We got a solid deal with him, I can live paying a 26 year old guard 6 mil a year... Better then 9 mill a year!!! (y) Hopefully he stays healthy.

RamBill

Legend
Breaking down Saffold's contract
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6857/breaking-down-rodger-saffolds-contract

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The drama that unfolded last week surrounding offensive lineman Rodger Saffold's return to the St. Louis Rams after a failed physical with the Oakland Raiders certainly cost Saffold money on the open market.

Instead of the five-year, $42.5 million contract that included more than $21 million in guaranteed money, the reality of Saffold's deal with the Rams comes in well below that. But Saffold does have plenty of opportunity to land in the ballpark of the guaranteed dollar figure Oakland would have given him by staying healthy and productive and remaining on the Rams roster over the course of the first three years of his contract with St. Louis.

On the surface, Saffold's deal with the Rams checks in at five years for $31.347 million with a true full guarantee of $11 million. That $11 million includes a fully guaranteed 2014 base salary of $3 million, a $5 million signing bonus and a $3 million 2015 roster bonus.

There are, however, relatively easy ways for Saffold to earn an additional $8 million-plus. Saffold's $4 million base salary in 2015 and $4.5 million base salary in 2016 become fully guaranteed if he is still on the roster on the third day of the league year in each of those seasons or based on injury guarantees. If Saffold is healthy, the Rams would have the ability to release him before the third day of the league year in 2015 and/or 2016 and not have to realize those guarantees.

Beyond that, Saffold's contract has its share of built-in escalators in the final four years of the deal. If Saffold doesn't void the final two years and hits all of the incentives and escalators, the deal could climb beyond the $31.347 million total from above.

Base salary: $3 million (fully guaranteed)

Signing bonus: $5 million (fully guaranteed, spread out in $1 million increments over life of contract)

Roster bonus: $0

Cash value: $8 million

Cap value: $4 million

Base salary: $4 million (Guaranteed for injury only but becomes guaranteed on third day of league year)

Signing bonus: $0 ($1 million count against cap)

Roster bonus: $3 million (Fully guaranteed, to be paid on third day of league year)

Cash value: $7 million

Cap value: $8 million

Base salary: $4.5 million (Guaranteed for injury only, becomes guaranteed on third day of league year)

Roster bonus: Up to $375,000 (Bonus of $23,438 per game active)

Cash value: $4.875 million

Cap value: $5.875 million

Base salary: $4,722,233

Roster bonus: Up to $375,000 (Bonus of $23,438 per game active)

Cash value: $5,097,233

Cap value: $6,097,233

Notes: Saffold can void this season if he reaches certain incentives. Those incentives are unknown at this time.

Base salary: $5 million

Roster bonus: Up to $1.375 million (Bonus of $23,438 per game active plus $1 million if still on roster third day of league year)

Cash value:$6.375 million

Cap value: $7.375 million

Notes: Saffold can void this season if he reaches certain incentives. Those incentives are unknown at this time.

All contract numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info

RamBill

Legend
Saffold's contract different from original report
By Howard Balzer

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2014/03/18/rodger-saffold-contract-different/6578345/

As is usually the case in the rush to report details when NFL free agents sign, the actual value of Rams guard Rodger Saffold's contract is different from what was originally reported.

National reporters that usually receive contract details from agents rarely ask key questions about the numbers; they merely pass on what they are told and then move on to the next player.

When Saffold re-signed with the Rams last week for five years, the numbers circulated were $31.7 million with $19.5 million guaranteed.

The actual cash value of the total deal is $31,347,233 million, not including escalators that are included in the contract. The actual money fully guaranteed is $11 million, although there is an additional $8.5 million of base salaries that are currently guaranteed for injury only, but become fully guaranteed if he is on the Rams' roster on the third day of the league year in 2015 and 2016.

The $11 million guarantee, $8 million of which will be paid this year, includes a $5 million signing bonus, $3 million base salary this year and a $3 million roster bonus in 2015. The other $8.5 million is split between base salaries of $4 million in 2015 and $4.5 million in 2016.

The final base salaries are $4,722,233 in 2017 and $5 million in 2018. In addition, there are $375,000 total roster bonuses in 2016, 2017 and 2018 that will be paid on a per-game ($23,438.50) basis.

The cap charge for Saffold's contract this year is $4 million, which is based on his base salary plus $1 million of prorated signing bonus. For the remainder of the contract, assuming he receives all salaries and bonuses, but doesn't trigger any escalators, the cap hit is $8 million in 2015; $5.875 million in 2016; $6,097,233 in 2017; and $7.375 million in 2018
Most attractive to Saffold is the ability he has to void the final two years or the final year of the contract if he reaches unknown incentives. Should Saffold be able to stay healthy, establish himself as a Pro-Bowl guard as the Rams believe he can and hits those incentives in the next three seasons, he could be a free agent again when he is still just 29-years-old.

He would likely to do much better than those final two years of salaries if he was on the market again. Of course, there are also those escalators in his contract that would increase his salaries after the 2014 season should he reach certain incentives.

How much those salaries increase, if they do, could affect his decision whether to exercise his right to void those final two years.

Howard Balzer hosts "H and Friends" Monday-Friday from 9-11 on Fox Sports 1490 The Champ. He is also a host on SiriusXM NFL Radio and one of 44 selectors for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.