Rodger Saffold placed on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I think Saffold was an incentive laden contract (playing time?) so this may have been the best way for the Rams to make a point. They figured he could muddle through and come out of every game when he banged it again or shut him down for the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would appear that RS injured his non surgically repaired shoulder in the first series of the first pre season game with some serious damage, RS was rusty then he was held out the rest of pre season and never returned to be a major player in our OL this season. RS was struggling along with the rest of our OL,

Let's still remember RS is the most injured prone OLer in the NFL! How can you assign this type of player to be your main clog and the leader to an NFL OL? Just thinking off the top of my one cell brain here but from this point on.....I would not plan to use RS as the leader of this OL nor plan from this point out that RS will be a starter in the 2016 OL. All this is based on what his work history has been.

I believe I would plan for RS to be our top reliever for four OL starting positions. What I call our sixth OLer. I would plan to use him like this. You now have a veteran who can be plugged in at anytime without much of a decrease in production knowing full well that when the starter returns to health RS would hit the bench. Planning on RS to be anything else for you in your OL would not be smart......he has shown he is physically incapable to remain healthy and can not take the heavy pounding as an NFL starter. Thus his best planned position is Top Reliever. Garrett Reynolds may prove to be the better ORG over RS anyway.

Now is the time to get our mauler primed and ready to be our future ORG. Cody Wichmann who is over 6'5 and 325 plus pounds ready to play!

F. Mulder

Starter
I believe I would plan for RS to be our top reliever for four OL starting positions. What I call our sixth OLer. I would plan to use him like this. You now have a veteran who can be plugged in at anytime without much of a decrease in production knowing full well that when the starter returns to health RS would hit the bench. Planning on RS to be anything else for you in your OL would not be smart......he has shown he is physically incapable to remain healthy and can not take the heavy pounding as an NFL starter. Thus his best planned position is Top Reliever. Garrett Reynolds may prove to be the better ORG over RS anyway.

That's a pretty expensive backup isn't it?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's a pretty expensive backup isn't it?
Yes but when you look at the salary cap money spent on the OL it's very very low in comparison to most all other teams overall OL unit costs. Right now he is costing a bunch and he will not play another down this season.

the Rams purchased what was our 6th OLer Garrett Reynolds for a cheap price too, so not much was invested here cap wise. I would not be an advocate of releasing RS at this time. Many questions must be worked through here before I would move into that way of thinking myself.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Now is the time to get our mauler primed and ready to be our future ORG. Cody Wichmann who is over 6'5 and 325 plus pounds ready to play!
Now, this is what I'm talking about...And the main reason I was hyped for him to make the 53....I figured we'd need him...Just not this soon....

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
6M for a guy who has played 16 games in his career twice. Also a guy who will inevitably be injured at some point during the season. He's average when he's healthy. Just let him go and move on. The club had no problem ditching Incognito and he's talented! Saffold is injury prone and isn't a top G when healthy. He's the O line Drew Bennett, paid way too much for his services.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
6M for a guy who has played 16 games in his career twice. Also a guy who will inevitably be injured at some point during the season. He's average when he's healthy. Just let him go and move on. The club had no problem ditching Incognito and he's talented! Saffold is injury prone and isn't a top G when healthy. He's the O line Drew Bennett, paid way too much for his services.
When healthy I think he's above average, but I agree with the move on. If he goes on to be a stud elsewhere so be it.
Incognito was a penalty machine - the 15 yard variety at the time so he had to go.

We'll see what happens in the off season but I have to believe this is it for him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Things could really look different around here in Feb 2016. this team has for the first time some talented youthful OL s just waiting for the opportunity to get a chance to show what they can do. Since Saffold arrived he has never had any competition for his starting spot so when he was injured and that was just about all the time.......he always had his pick to get back his starting post.

Not no longer Garrett might be a better starting player for this young OL than RS and he sure is a ton less $$$$ . Rhaney, Wichmann,Donnal, Williams and other young OLers who are not damaged as RS could very well beat RS out of a starting post.

Saffold s best role on this team in 2016 may be as the 6th top back up at four OL posts!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Time to cut Saffold. he can't stay healthy. Hopefully not too much impact against the cap next year. Looks like the Raiders knew what they were doing.