ROD Pick 19 Poll (Pre-Combine Edition)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At pick No. 19, the Rams select:

• Laita Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

• Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

• Someone else (specify below)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Trade (up or down)

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Just out of curiosity, let's say we get Hunter in FA, do people still want an edge here?

What if we get Z'Darius Smith in FA? Does that change the equation?
Maybe but it depends if the Rams are drafting a future edge starter as those dudes mentioned aren't young or if the Rams are wanting multiple rushers to rotate, or if they want to simply shore up another hole on the roster. Definitely an interesting question.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just out of curiosity, let's say we get Hunter in FA, do people still want an edge here?

I guess most anything is possible but that would seem really odd to me.

If the Rams allocate that much salary cap to a veteran Edge to pair with Young, I would think that their first two picks would be to address other needs ... DB, OL and WR heading the list.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Don't quit your day-job.
Some will burst for Verse

200.gif

Shampoo Shredder GIF

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
if Latu is available at #19 and checks out medically, I can't see how the Rams pass on him.

That is, not unless Brock Bowers was still on the board.

But watch them trade the pick for Brian Burns.
Why not both? What if the Panthers said yes, but only for a first. The Rams trade back with a team that falls in love with another player. The Rams get a late 3rd and 6-7th, and Burns.

I’m guessing the Rams would also need to part with a late 3rd or 5th to seal the deal.

However, think it’s more likely we grab a cut candidate from the 2nd wave of FA from a team in cap purgatory.

dang

Legend
Rams gotta get a known commodity at Edge. We can’t depend on a rookie making a major impact their first year. And while Young looks solid he doesn’t appear to be the force we need this year. Not sure they go first wave FA but I’m confident they add a solid FA at Edge.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Rams gotta get a known commodity at Edge. We can’t depend on a rookie making a major impact their first year. And while Young looks solid he doesn’t appear to be the force we need this year. Not sure they go first wave FA but I’m confident they add a solid FA at Edge.
I still say bring back Floyd on a 1 yr deal and draft a guy, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd. Vet edge, who played well last yr, while adding a young guy to develop. He can mentor the rookie and Byron Young.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Darius definitely going late 1st. No Kool-Aid for you?

And wait, other than the fact that CDJ can play safety, why not play him at outside corner where he's dominated? (I mean, I'd like him in the Star role, he's perfect for it).
If he’s suited for the star role, then I’m in.

The problem I’m having with a full commitment to CDJ is I don’t know where the “Safety” talk is coming from. If it’s coming from GMs and team staffers, then the talk is legit—which rules him out for me. If the talk is just water cooler speculation coming from the experts who are rating players and projecting team decisions, then there’s room for YOUR scenario/suggestion.

That’s really what gets us all running in circles over this stuff:
Where is the information coming from? How much have the teams really shared?

Ultimately, I chose Lassiter because he’s a legit CB1 prospect and he’s most likely to be there at #19. I would not complain if he was the pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why not both? What if the Panthers said yes, but only for a first. The Rams trade back with a team that falls in love with another player. The Rams get a late 3rd and 6-7th, and Burns.

I’m guessing the Rams would also need to part with a late 3rd or 5th to seal the deal.

However, think it’s more likely we grab a cut candidate from the 2nd wave of FA from a team in cap purgatory.
Because the Panther will probably want #19 and more. Trade back and they'll want even more compensation.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If he’s suited for the star role, then I’m in.

The problem I’m having with a full commitment to CDJ is I don’t know where the “Safety” talk is coming from. If it’s coming from GMs and team staffers, then the talk is legit—which rules him out for me. If the talk is just water cooler speculation coming from the experts who are rating players and projecting team decisions, then there’s room for YOUR scenario/suggestion.

That’s really what gets us all running in circles over this stuff:
Where is the information coming from? How much have the teams really shared?

Ultimately, I chose Lassiter because he’s a legit CB1 prospect and he’s most likely to be there at #19. I would not complain if he was the pick.
I think it's just coming from the fact that he played safety...

... and boundary CB and slot.

But to add some nuance, I think it's talk about where his best spot would be. But I think you take him and let him play them all!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Because the Panther will probably want #19 and more. Trade back and they'll want even more compensation..
They get a late 3rd rounder and that’s it. Take it or leave it. Otherwise, how about no? We’re not giving up more draft capital for Burns.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think we trade up if Bowers somehow falls to 15

I think we draft at 19 if Quinyon Mitchell or Jared Verse is there

I think we trade back if we’re targeting the best of Jackson Powers Johnson, Cooper DeJean or an LT (could be any of like 3-4 guys)

I initially picked JPJ, but I think if CDJ does well at his pro day, they’ll target him for his versatility as CDJ would be an upgrade over anyone we’ve had at STAR this past season

I trust this FO so much after this past draft that I’m just excited to see who they decide on. I’m also super excited about our day 2-3 picks, especially rounds 5-6 because we seem to own those rounds

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's one of those guys who is most intriguing in this draft, along with Latu. In that you hear rumors (attitude with him vs neck with Latu) and wonder how far he'll fall. And I think he could be a big impact player for us, no doubt, assuming his head's on straight.

I'm just looking forward to actually having a pick on the first night. I miss sitting there crossing guys off my list as they go off the board. Gonna be good fun.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They get a late 3rd rounder and that’s it. Take it or leave it. Otherwise, how about no? We’re not giving up more draft capital for Burns.
Sure, the Rams can say no and gamble on a rookie falling into their laps and panning out or another free agent pickup.

But if the plan was to go all in in 2024 and this possibly being Donald's last year, Brian Burns (if made available) would probably be the best option, IMO. Soon to be 26-year-old (a little over a month older than Byron Young) established NFL pass rushers with his length and speed don't grow on trees.

If he gets a non-exclusive franchise tag, it wouldn't shock me one bit if the Rams either signed him to an offer sheet or attempted to send their 2024 & 2025 1st round selections to Carolina for him again now that they have a new GM. And if one considers that the 2025 1st round selection should be near or at the bottom of the round, I wouldn't be upset at all.

WestCoastRam

Legend

I think we draft at 19 if Quinyon Mitchell or Jared Verse is there

I think we trade back if we’re targeting the best of Jackson Powers Johnson, Cooper DeJean or an LT (could be any of like 3-4 guys)

I initially picked JPJ, but I think if CDJ does well at his pro day, they’ll target him for his versatility as CDJ would be an upgrade over anyone we’ve had at STAR this past season

I trust this FO so much after this past draft that I’m just excited to see who they decide on. I’m also super excited about our day 2-3 picks, especially rounds 5-6 because we seem to own those rounds
I generally poo-poo the idea that players grades will be effected by their combine or pro day but the knock on CDJ is that he's stiff in transition so maybe seeing him in drills will cement whether that's something that can be improved or just part of the bargain and then perhaps move him a spot or two on the Rams board.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If you trade down to #24 or 25 with GB or DAL the chart says you would get a 3rd round pick.
Would be great if we were guaranteed what the chart says. Curious what pick in the 3rd but I don't think it would matter to me. Too much value at 19. Gotta sweeten a a trade above a 3rd to make it worth while.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#24 and 87 or #25 and 88. Depends who' s left when we draft. #19 is a good spot though with lots of options.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would rather trade down in the 2nd than the 1st.