Robert Quinn (Just how good is he?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Robert Quinn really seems to be an outstanding young DE with unlimited potential. Can you tell me how you rate him with the other quality DE's in the NFL and who would you compare him to (personally, he reminds a little of former Ram Leonard Little)?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
paceram said:
Robert Quinn really seems to be an outstanding young DE with unlimited potential. Can you tell me how you rate him with the other quality DE's in the NFL and who would you compare him to (personally, he reminds a little of former Ram Leonard Little)?
Gonna win the David "Deacon" Jones award, and defensive player of the year I said it! :boing:

Simba

Rookie
paceram said:

We can immage a bright future for him (Every Rams fans hope).I think he's little bit different than Deacon Jones ... When I watch to play Robert he looks like Derrick Thomas (KC).I known Derrick played all carrier in LB position, but in Robert I see the same speed and the same way to attack the qb.As Thomas he is not very heavy (for a OLM 260), but tall.He has a LB body future generation.Obviously IMHO

P.s. R.I.P. Derrick

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't know if I can compare Quinn to anyone else as far as being similar. I think he is a pure rush DE, not a LB. Though he is listed as the same height and weight as Aldon Smith, Quinn just looks different. Quinn looks thicker. I first saw him up close in Giants Stadium in his rookie year in 2011, and I thought he was the best athlete on the field for the Rams. Quinn is actually younger than ASmith, just turning 23 this year, so he is a baby.

Quinn just needs to stay hungry and consistent and he can be great.

In the preseason, Pete Prisco said Quinn will lead the league in sacks this year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
I don't know if I can compare Quinn to anyone else as far as being similar. I think he is a pure rush DE, not a LB. Though he is listed as the same height and weight as Aldon Smith, Quinn just looks different. Quinn looks thicker. I first saw him up close in Giants Stadium in his rookie year in 2011, and I thought he was the best athlete on the field for the Rams. Quinn is actually younger than ASmith, just turning 23 this year, so he is a baby.

Quinn just needs to stay hungry and consistent and he can be great.

In the preseason, Pete Prisco said Quinn will lead the league in sacks this year.

Yeah Quinn is a beast and FWIW, Gerald Rivers is almost a clone of him except he's leaner which accounts for the difference in weight.
Saw them side by side at training camp and Rivers can easily add the weight and still be as lean as RQ.
He is so lean the veins on his biceps stand out when he's at rest .

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
So far I wouldn't rate him that highly as a DE and his name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as the Deacon. As a pass rusher I'd rate him very highly. He has a long way to go before I rate him highly as a DE.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
So far I wouldn't rate him that highly as DE and his name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as the Deacon. As a pass rusher I'd rate him very highly. He has a long way to go before I rate him highly as a DE.

I've heard this said before ,but the position itself is so much different now Al that it's hard to compare ,what is more I firmly believe he's facing far better tackles than Deacon did so there is that as well.

Dan Dierdorf then/ would have a terrible time even making a roster today.
Deacon was an athletic freak ,but he didn't perform against the behemoths of todays NFL, put Quinn against those o-lines and I think you'd have a higher opinion of him,let him head slap people and he'd be even better.

Does Quinn need to have more moves? yes,does his run defense seem to be less than his pass defense ? yes ARE OT's today allowed to hold far more than they were back then ? OH HELL YES.

I'm tickled to death we have the guy and hope he has a long and storied career and an even longer life (re: the brain tumor).

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy looking at the issue from a different direction:
I've heard this said before ,but the position itself is so much different now Al that it's hard to compare ,what is more I firmly believe he's facing far better tackles than Deacon did so there is that as well.

Deacon was an athletic freak ,but he didn't perform against the behemoths of todays NFL, put Quinn against those o-lines and I think you'd have a higher opinion of him,let him head slap people and he'd be even better.

Does Quinn need to have more moves? yes,does his run defense seem to be less than his pass defense ? yes ARE OT's today allowed to hold far more than they were back then ? OH HELL YES.

I'm not comparing them to each other per se, I'm comparing how good they are relative to their peers.

Deacon was the best DE (IMO) of his era. He was excellent in all facets of his position. Not only is Quinn not the best pass rusher (yet) among his peers, he's below average against the run.

No comparison at all IMO.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy looking at the issue from a different direction:

I'm not comparing them to each other per se, I'm comparing how good they are relative to their peers.

Deacon was the best DE (IMO) of his era. He was excellent in all facets of his position. Not only is Quinn not the best pass rusher (yet) among his peers, he's below average against the run.

No comparison at all IMO.
Yeah but Deacon played in a league where his athleticism was far more unique and FWIW I don't mind if people call me a racist when I say it was because there weren't nearly as many black players .

Yeah OK "Jimmy the Greek" me but ya gotta be intentionally crawling under a rock if you think black athletes aren't more gifted speed and size wise. Hell statistically I think black men are 2 or three inches taller than whites on average and I'd bet they average a half second or more faster in the 40 ON AVERAGE .
Like I said Deacon was a freakish athlete but segregation assured he didn't face the OTHER freakish athletes of his pastel in the NFL like Quinn "gets to".

I didn't conjure the comparison Al,I just want to make sure we don't overly romanticize it.
I've seen this over and over in the field of wrestling, SURE we make sure the guys all weigh the same ,but some of these kids go through puberty at 11 some not until they are 17,the early bloomers go undefeated YOUNG and get into HS and can't do shizzle ,the guys who are late bloomers LEARN the craft and take them apart in HS .
My youngest and I are pictured next to one another after he qualified for the state tournament at 138 lbs this year (March) he was 2 inches shorter than me and a senior in HS ,his brother was a Dist champion at the same age at 189 lbs. Today the younger one is half an inch taller than me (6 months later) is a way better wrestler than his bro was ,older bro HATES the idea that lil bro is gonna be taller and probably bigger.

Quinns mother probably had prenatal vitamins, he drank milk laced with hormones growing up,just IMPOSSIBLE to know how big Deacon might have been given those "advantages", I'm just confident as I can be that put each as they were and are in the others competitive arena and Quinn comes out looking far better.

More than anything though I'm sure I got my buddies blood pumping this AM and that MAKES MY DAY :rofl:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Quinn stays healthy... he will be in the hunt for the lead league in sacks.

As other's have said, the rest of his game is pretty average. He's definitely a pure-rush DE.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy hoping for controversy:
Yeah but Deacon played in a league where his athleticism was far more unique and FWIW

That really doesn't say anything Rich. There is always a reason why someone is better than another. If someone is demonstrably better than their peers they always possess some unique qualities.

Quinns mother probably had prenatal vitamins, he drank milk laced with hormones growing up,just IMPOSSIBLE to know how big Deacon might have been given those "advantages", I'm just confident as I can be that put each as they were and are in the others competitive arena and Quinn comes out looking far better.

This is an age old debate that can never be resolved in either direction.

More than anything though I'm sure I got my buddies blood pumping this AM and that MAKES MY DAY: :rofl:

Thanks for the effort but I'm actually about to take a nap. The last time I was really sure my heart was pumping is when I saw MontanaRamsFan's sig. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I also think we need to cool our jets.

It's just one game.

7 days ago there were rumblings that if Quinn does not become a sack machine, he wasn't worth his draft slot (because the rest of his game isn't elite).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

As other's have said, the rest of his game is pretty average. He's definitely a pure-rush DE.
Well, that could be changing as we speak. As we all know, players (not just DEs) develop at different rates. As it stands right now, and this is an extremely small sample size, Robert Quinn is the top ranked run stopper among all DEs. That will clearly change over the course of the year, but it's not a bad jumping off point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

Well, that could be changing as we speak. As we all know, players (not just DEs) develop at different rates. As it stands right now, and this is an extremely small sample size, Robert Quinn is the top ranked run stopper among all DEs. That will clearly change over the course of the year, but it's not a bad jumping off point.

True. The defensive line is a SLOW developing position. History proves that - across the league. Chris Long proves that locally.

I hope the light has come ON for Robert Quinn!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He needs to develop some pass rush moves (and he's starting to).

Sooner or later (more likely the former) Arizona is gonna dump Levi Brown and get a stud LT so he won't get to abuse him anymore.

The other 2 teams in the division have good LTs as well.

DPoY? Deacon Jones award? Really I think he's gonna have to get a monster sack year, and get enough exposure over the guys of JJ Watt, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, and the like.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
He reminds more of Jevon Kearse in the days when he was with the Titans.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:

Sooner or later (more likely the former) Arizona is gonna dump Levi Brown and get a stud LT so he won't get to abuse him anymore.

DPoY? Deacon Jones award? Really I think he's gonna have to get a monster sack year, and get enough exposure over the guys of JJ Watt, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, and the like.
Well, he's on pace for 48 sacks, so ... :lol:

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Well, he's on pace for 48 sacks, so ... :lol:

Well, if he gets 48 sacks (I am guessing more like 15) then I WILL start comparing him to Deacon Jones. But, I do think if Quinn can stay healthy he will end up having an outstanding career!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How good? I watched the entire game on RQ & this is what I saw from this one home game....

Early in the 1st quarter Cards was in a 3rd & three need...Mendenhall left side run got 11 yds when RQ was blocked inside by OLG College then the very next play #1- RQ blows by OLT hits QB knocks ball out for a fumble recovered by OLT. RQ gets a rest then returns for a 3rd & long after Hayes makes two back to back kills of RB's then #2- RQ blows by OLT gets hit & sack of QB. Cost the Cards pts.

Then in the 2nd Quarter RQ does NOTHING no tacks no pressures no sacks!

Ok onto the 3rd.....RQ make only two plays in the 3rd quarter but both are very good. #3- RQ play- thus far RQ was MIA until 5:56 left in the 3rd when he pressured Palmer & OLT was called for holding on him. #4- RQ play -with 2:35 left in the 3rd with the Cards driving off a sorry big mistake by Cortland penalty RQ pressures QB makes a big hit on him & the ball is nearly INT'd by JJ in the endzone. But Cards score TD off of Cortland's poor coverage..

In the 4th Quarter #5-RQ shows up again with 10:38 remaining when he beats OLT hits the arm of Palmer causing a fumble this time JL recovers. At this point in the game RQ has 3 sacks & 2 forced fumbles. Score 24-24 #6- with 5:25 remaining Cards driving & on a 3rd down RQ gets in the face of Palmer hits Palmer downs Palmer & the ball sails incomplete Cards have to punt. That's it for RQ the game is put away when Long & Hayes sack Palmer.

In conclusion he made only 6 plays but wow the damage caused by those 6 was enough to mandate the tag as something special. I can not wait till he has a full & complete game.

RamzFanz

Damnit
paceram said:

THIS GOOD:

Ryan_zps87bbfb36.gif