Robert Quinn and the new CBA's rookie contract system

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
With the new contract system for rookies that came in with the 2011 draft, do players under those contracts have any power to hold out at all?

Because if they do, I'm utterly shocked that Robert Quinn isn't doing so. Given his talent level and accomplishments, when you compare what he's being paid this year to certain peers, he's being freaking robbed.

Not that I would want him to hold out of course... I'm just surprised he isn't. And yeah, he has a "contract", but given that NFL contracts can be unilaterally terminated by the other side, that doesn't impress me much.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
With the new contract system for rookies that came in with the 2011 draft, do players under those contracts have any power to hold out at all?

Because if they do, I'm utterly shocked that Robert Quinn isn't doing so. Given his talent level and accomplishments, when you compare what he's being paid this year to certain peers, he's being freaking robbed.

Not that I would want him to hold out of course... I'm just surprised he isn't. And yeah, he has a "contract", but given that NFL contracts can be unilaterally terminated by the other side, that doesn't impress me much.
Pretty sure the players do not have a choice whether to accept the 5th year option or not, rookie deals are rarely restructured.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If I was in the NFL I don't care what they paid me. I hate losers who complain about it and hold out. You're living every guys dream to play in the big league. Just appreciate what you have and play football.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If I was in the NFL I don't care what they paid me. I hate losers who complain about it and hold out. You're living every guys dream to play in the big league. Just appreciate what you have and play football.

I couldn't disagree more.

Quinn has clearly outplayed his rookie contract so I would have no problem if he decided to hold out for a new contract after this season. Robert deserves it. Players careers are short so no one can blame them for trying to cash in while it lasts.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
This year, he doesn't have any leverage, but he possibly could before next season. I think that's when we will give him a huge extension that doesn't cripple the cap for next year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Holding out is selfish. See Vernon Davis as the current example. It does not matter what the situation is you agreed to the contract but signing it, have some integrity and stand by your word. I'm glad this is only a post on the internet and Quinn is not holding out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure Demoff has already informed Quinn and his agents that he's their top priority, and they'll renegotiate his current contract before that 5th year option is implemented.

RamsFan14

Starter
Robert Quinn is a keeper, arguably one of the most talented players in football! He's so young!!! I'd rather pay a top contract with someone who's going to be 25 then someone who's 27. Quinn looks like he'll be worth it if he keeps it up (def anticipate it). He can't argue the contract, but his 5th year option should pay him pretty nicely, which is well deserved. Think the 5th year option pays him in the average of the top 10 players at his current position? Thought it was something along those lines.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would offer to restructure this season. At least make the man feel appreciated. You don't want him to turn sour.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

They have a very short career.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure the players do not have a choice whether to accept the 5th year option or not, rookie deals are rarely restructured.
Right, that much is not in question.

But by definition, all players who hold out are under contract. I'm just wondering what prevents someone in his rookie contract from doing so. I know when they first sign, it's a case of take it or leave it, they can't have any more money than what's being offered (although there is wiggle room between teams and agents for various clauses in the contract).

But certainly, the last thing the Rams would ever want is Robert Quinn holding out which would seem to give him leverage to force the issue of getting paid.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
this should help clear up some of the confusion. These salaries are NOT negotiable. They are calculated based on the CBA and the formula is pretty clear.

"The salary for the fifth-year option is also different for two types of players: those selected in the top ten picks and all other first-round selections.

The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, basically, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players that played the same position. Positions are defined by the spot a player spent the most plays at during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31).

For players selected between the 11th and 32nd rounds in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference is that the average of the third through 25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position equals the player’s fifth-year salary.

If a team decides to use its fifth-year team option, the player can face substantial fines for refusing to report to camp on time and/or at all. Players can be fined up to $30,000 per day of training camp missed and a fine equal to one week’s regular season (1/17 of P5 Salary) check for any preseason games missed."

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if, in a nightmare scenario, Quinn didn't report at all, the team couldn't waive those fines later even if they wanted to? And he would still pay them if he signed with another team next year?

If so, the NFLPA got hosed on this one, but it answers my question completely. Thanks. Coach.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So if, in a nightmare scenario, Quinn didn't report at all, the team couldn't waive those fines later even if they wanted to? And he would still pay them if he signed with another team next year?

If so, the NFLPA got hosed on this one, but it answers my question completely. Thanks. Coach.

These guys will get their $$$ in their second contracts. And the average of the top salaries isn't exactly chump change. But I am all for the clubs having the leverage for as long as possible. Quinn is the exception. Think about all the other 1st round picks that they end up eating the contracts by the time they get to the 5th year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I found this:

The NFL roster cutdown process continues on Saturday and teams have until 6 p.m. ET to reduce their roster to 53 active players. Hundreds of players will be released with teams cutting down from 75, although for some, it doesn't mean the end of the road. Teams will begin filling out their practice squads following final cuts and more than 250 players will be signed.

Being on the practice squad isn't the same as being on the active roster, but it's the next best thing. Here are a few rules and details about NFL practice squads.

Practice squad basics

• Each NFL team can have up to eight players on their practice squad.
  • Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.
  • Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads (more on that below).
  • Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
  • Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, assuming they are signed to the 53-man active roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
  • A practice squad player can not sign with their team's upcoming opponent, unless they do so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if their team is currently on a bye week.
  • If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
  • In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear through waivers.

Eligibility
Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

Salary
Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000.