Robert Quinn and the new CBA's rookie contract system

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I see where Legatron got that figure... it's not universal though:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

Salary
Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Practice squad players make 400K a year. I think they'll be fine.

Yeah, but most of these guys don't actually get an education so that $400,000 is pretty an entire career. After that, it's $10 an hour.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I found this:

The NFL roster cutdown process continues on Saturday and teams have until 6 p.m. ET to reduce their roster to 53 active players. Hundreds of players will be released with teams cutting down from 75, although for some, it doesn't mean the end of the road. Teams will begin filling out their practice squads following final cuts and more than 250 players will be signed.

Being on the practice squad isn't the same as being on the active roster, but it's the next best thing. Here are a few rules and details about NFL practice squads.

Practice squad basics

• Each NFL team can have up to eight players on their practice squad.
  • Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.
  • Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads (more on that below).
  • Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
  • Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, assuming they are signed to the 53-man active roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
  • A practice squad player can not sign with their team's upcoming opponent, unless they do so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if their team is currently on a bye week.
  • If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
  • In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear through waivers.

Eligibility
Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

Salary
Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000.

Pretty much the same thing as the link I attached above!!!!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty much the same thing as the link I attached above!!!!
Sorry. I just kind of scanned your link to see if they had anything on whether players could hold out. I didn't think to recheck for information on the new topic of practice squad salaries.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sorry. I just kind of scanned your link to see if they had anything on whether players could hold out. I didn't think to recheck for information on the new topic of practice squad salaries.

No worries,, just bustin your chops,,, its Friday, and the Rams are on the practice field,, is all good!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
And Quinn wont be going anywhere, no matter what. We could even Franchise him in 2016 if it came down to it. The Rams hold all the cards on this one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To those that suggest he deserves to be paid now, or think he should hold out... Let's not forget he's "only had one stellar season".

Quinn will get paid. But, let's not suggest he's been ripped off over three seasons learning the game at a nice salary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn did get a good size raise in comparison to 2013. A little over 3 mil in 2013 and now he is set to earn a little under 7 mil. Not a bad pay increase.

DE Robert Mathis earned approx. 8 million in 2013. DE Marion Williams will earn close to 19 million in 2014.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
this may clear up some of the mis-information regarding the 5th year option on Quinn. They have already notified him they intend on exercising the option. The rest is pretty much set. Nothing to negotiate.

http://www.in2theleague.com/nfl-cba-explained-rookie-contracts-5th-year-option/

Note the last 2 paragraphs as it pertains to Quinn/Rams situation. And what happens if he chooses to hold out.
Thanks CoachO. I have to believe that KD et al are on top of this and are not doing anything that would make Quinn feel unappreciated. He will be paid and it sounds like his fifth year though maybe not commensurate with his talent and skill level will be pretty decent. This is also why the new CBA was put in place - so that rookies couldn't hold their teams hostage. I realize Robert has proven himself so that aspect is gone but the idea was to make second contracts the proved it contracts. If there is something to be done to lock him up, I'm sure they will.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I thing the Robert Quinn situation is the exact reason the new CBA was put in place. He was a fairly productive player his first two years, but exploded in his 3rd. He was paid 1st round $$$ in those "developmental" seasons, but realistically, has had ONE elite season. IMO, this season will go a long way in giving us a defined look into what kind of player he really will be. If he builds off the 2013 season, then he will cash in on his second contract. If he levels off and comes back to earth, so to speak, then he will be paid accordingly.

Thus, the 5th year option CBA is there for this reason.